$50 off Excursions Promotion Question

Tys Mom

I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere:  I searched and was unable to find an answer.

Concerning the $50 off an excursion in each port promotion:  If you choose not to take an excursion in a port, does the $50 remain on your account to use toward another excursion, or is it lost?

Thank you in advance.

1 minute ago, Tys Mom said:

I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere:  I searched and was unable to find an answer.

Concerning the $50 off an excursion in each port promotion:  If you choose not to take an excursion in a port, does the $50 remain on your account to use toward another excursion, or is it lost?

Thank you in advance.

It's a "use it or lose it" thing....if you don't use it, it's gone.

• Thanks 1

It's actually not per stateroom either. You have to read the new fine print.

The $50 will be applied to the cost of the excursion for the first person on the reservation. If the cost of the excursion is less than $50, the first person gets the excursion for free. The balance is not applied to the second person. So, let's say I am the first person on the reservation for my husband & I. We want to take a beach excursion for $39 each. Previously, the $50 would be taken off the TOTAL amount for the stateroom. $39x2= $78-$50=$28 stateroom total. Now, it's my $39 for free and $39 full price for my husband. That's $39 for the stateroom bs $28 previously. 

If the cost of the excursion is over $50 per person, there's really no difference.

In addition, if your Latitude status entitles you to a discount % off shore excursions, that is now applied after the $50 is deducted. Using the example I used above, previously my 15% Plat+ discount would be applied to the original $78 total which would mean the cost for 2 would be $66.30 and then the $50 would be deducted leaving a $16.30 stateroom total. Now it's my $39 for free and $39-15% or $33.15 for my husband. That's more than double the old cost. 

The $50 discount also cannot be applied to equipment rentals (Snorkels, clam shells, float mats, etc) on great Stirrup Cay or Harvest Cay which was previously allowed.

It may not stop you from taking the excursion, but you should be aware of how the discounts are applied.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not per stateroom. It's for the first person in the stateroom. This person must use it. If you choose a 49$ excursion for two people. The first one get this for free and "looses" a dollar. The second pays 49$. This is like the NCL app shows exc.bookings. 

9 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@victory2020

My reading is that the discount has to go to the first person named in the cabin.   But once the ticket has been issued who knows who it was issued to!!   I'm sure the tour operator doesn't care who hands in the ticket.

Ok, so there is no name on the ticket? Could I buy tickets for cabin mates/other friend with my 10% discount on tours that we would all be going on?

@victory2020

There is a name on the ticket but I have never known an employee of the tour operator worry about the names of passengers just that the number of them is correct.

I don't know what 10% you talk about but if it is the Latitude Discount then it will only be applied to "Your" ticket.

5 hours ago, booklady26 said:

It's actually not per stateroom either. You have to read the new fine print.

The $50 will be applied to the cost of the excursion for the first person on the reservation. If the cost of the excursion is less than $50, the first person gets the excursion for free. The balance is not applied to the second person. So, let's say I am the first person on the reservation for my husband & I. We want to take a beach excursion for $39 each. Previously, the $50 would be taken off the TOTAL amount for the stateroom. $39x2= $78-$50=$28 stateroom total. Now, it's my $39 for free and $39 full price for my husband. That's $39 for the stateroom bs $28 previously. 

If the cost of the excursion is over $50 per person, there's really no difference.

In addition, if your Latitude status entitles you to a discount % off shore excursions, that is now applied after the $50 is deducted. Using the example I used above, previously my 15% Plat+ discount would be applied to the original $78 total which would mean the cost for 2 would be $66.30 and then the $50 would be deducted leaving a $16.30 stateroom total. Now it's my $39 for free and $39-15% or $33.15 for my husband. That's more than double the old cost. 

The $50 discount also cannot be applied to equipment rentals (Snorkels, clam shells, float mats, etc) on great Stirrup Cay or Harvest Cay which was previously allowed.

It may not stop you from taking the excursion, but you should be aware of how the discounts are applied.

@ziggyuk

To jump in with anther question, are you still able to pre book by phone for payment on the ship so you still get the discount?

NO!!   Very annoying.   When you book is when you pay.   The prices I see on the website for Pauline and myself I am certain they take the $50 off mine.

However not the 15% for the Platinum Plus benefit,  as far as I can tell.   I will have to check that for myself

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@ziggyuk

To jump in with anther question, are you still able to pre book by phone for payment on the ship so you still get the discount?

NO!!   Very annoying.   When you book is when you pay.   The prices I see on the website for Pauline and myself I am certain they take the $50 off mine.

However not the 15% for the Platinum Plus benefit,  as far as I can tell.   I will have to check that for myself

That's really frustrating, they used to allow you to book in advance and pay on the ship as long as you had the promo in place.

23 minutes ago, casofilia said:

I think you're right.  I seem to recall figuring this out too late two cruises ago and having to cancel and rebook the excursions on the ship.  Despite the marketing, I believe that many of the popular excursions are essentially unlimited (i.e. the ones that only require an excursion bus).

@ziggyuk

I think it changed when they did an IT upgrade that allowed the system to see if you had the Shorex Perk, maybe 18-24 months ago.

I certainly did that early in 2019.

I have asked my PCC in Sydney about the P+ 15% and am waiting a reply.

Mike

• Like 1

A couple of comments.  I believe I read that once onboard you can "rebook" if you want to  use OBC - but the changes had just been implemented so hard to know for sure.

Unless it has changed, the $50 is for any and all NCL excursions which means if you have time for multiple excursions, the $50 applies to all of them.  This also includes any NCL post-cruise excursion which ends up at the airport for example (but not the NCL direct airport transfer).

As already noted, it applies only to the primary guest but I've never been asked for id.

7 hours ago, casofilia said:

@ziggyuk

Looking at my reservations for next year, the prices listed take into account the $50 shore excursion promo, but not the latitudes discount.

However, if you add them to your basket then the latitudes discount is taken account of there.

So, for example, if I select an excursion that costs $100 then it lists the cost as $50 for me and $100 for my wife and son.

If I add them to my basket it becomes $42.50 for me, $85 for my wife and $100 for my son.

All figures I have quoted are what I would see if I was in the US. Obviously what I actually see is complicated by exchange rates to pounds.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Looking at my reservations for next year, the prices listed take into account the $50 shore excursion promo, but not the latitudes discount.

However, if you add them to your basket then the latitudes discount is taken account of there.

So, for example, if I select an excursion that costs $100 then it lists the cost as $50 for me and $100 for my wife and son.

If I add them to my basket it becomes $42.50 for me, $85 for my wife and $100 for my son.

All figures I have quoted are what I would see if I was in the US. Obviously what I actually see is complicated by exchange rates to pounds.

That's really good to know, thank you.

The downside is you can no longer use your OBC to "top up" the cost by paying on the ship but it's good to know you can still get the latitudes discount as well as the $50. 👍

I think I'm also right in saying you can buy more than one excursion per port and as long as they don't overlap you get $50 off each. For instance a fixed time coach excursion + anytime tickets on a cable car should get 2x$50 at one port.

Edited by ziggyuk

12 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

The downside is you can no longer use your OBC to "top up" the cost by paying on the ship but it's good to know you can still get the latitudes discount as well as the $50.

Just to be sure this is all clear for anyone reading this thread:  if you book the excursion on the ship, you can use OBC to pay the difference in cost if the excursion costs more than $50.  (It's really a shame that NCL, unlike Celebrity, does not allow OBC to be used for pre-cruise purchases. And that NCL no longer allows guests with the shorex promo to reserve in advance without paying, and then pay on board, which would allow OBC to be used for any cost difference.)

14 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I think I'm also right in saying you can buy more than one excursion per port and as long as they don't overlap you get $50 off each.

Yes.  The best thing in situations like this is to look at the Terms and Conditions for the promo, which are on NCL's web site at the link below, and say the following (among other things): 

"The first guest cannot purchase shore excursions for themselves where the duration of such excursions overlap in time."

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

And that NCL no longer allows guests with the shorex promo to reserve in advance without paying, and then pay on board, which would allow OBC to be used for any cost difference.)

Since that policy was implemented just prior to covid cancellations there isn't much first hand experience but all indications at the time were that you could make an adjustment once on board and apply any OBC to your booked excursions and get a refund at the end of the cruise.  Or use OBC to pay for excursions, then use the "cash" refund to pay for DSC for example.