HELP! CPAP Machine Question

15 hours ago, kathynorth said:

I've always just called special needs and they arrange for Distilled Water and an extension cord to be in my cabin upon arrival. Never an issue. The steward usually uses duct tape to secure the cord to the carpet. 

You just answered my question about taping the cord down! From what I heard (haven't cruised since I started using my CPAP) on NCL they do not offer a cord, and it's BYO....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

You just answered my question about taping the cord down! From what I heard (haven't cruised since I started using my CPAP) on NCL they do not offer a cord, and it's BYO....

LOL, Celebrity actually confiscates the BYO cords and holds them until the end of the cruise. They want to be sure people are using cords that are compatible with their outlets. 

Hubby now has to have oxygen attached to his CPAP and we have a floor-standing oxygen concentrator on wheels that weighs about same as a carryon suitcase, so we carry it on all trips.  Have been wondering how to get it on a cruise ship since it is more fragile than the luggage.  Anyone have experience with that.   We have carried on his CPAP and SoClean for past 5 years on numerous cruises, but now  we will have both portable Inogen machine and the larger oxygen device.

On 6/13/2021 at 12:06 PM, cruisetorelax44 said:

Just contact royal and tell them you have a cpap.  They'll put a note in the reservation.  When you get to your stateroom, you should find a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord already there. 

Agreed. We have always had distilled water and extension cord in cabin upon arrival.

On 6/18/2021 at 11:17 AM, Cruisin Kay D said:

Hubby now has to have oxygen attached to his CPAP and we have a floor-standing oxygen concentrator on wheels that weighs about same as a carryon suitcase, so we carry it on all trips.  Have been wondering how to get it on a cruise ship since it is more fragile than the luggage.  Anyone have experience with that.   We have carried on his CPAP and SoClean for past 5 years on numerous cruises, but now  we will have both portable Inogen machine and the larger oxygen device.

You might want to inquire if it's possible to rent a room concentrator from one of the medical supply companies that service the ships (like the ones that rent wheelchairs/scooters, etc.). That way the whole thing will be in your room when you board, and they'll pick it up after the cruise. 

Alternately, you'll need to lug yours on board with you, and drag it around the ship until rooms are opened.  You could place it in a larger piece of rolling luggage to offer it some protection and provide places to put the electrical cord and the oxygen tubing.  

On 6/13/2021 at 2:15 PM, JoTerricruise said:

We are traveling to Barcelona in September of 2022 and then boarding the Allure of the Seas.  My wife just recently started using a CPAP machine.  We are concerned about how to get distilled water through TAS at the airport.  We realize we we can buy water once we get there...just wasn't looking to make that our first stop.  Not sure if distilled water is available onboard either.  Thanks 😲

1. You can put a small bottle of distilled water in your checked luggage with no problems at all.  (I do recommend putting it in a Ziploc-style bag, though.)  Non-flammable liquids are allowed in checked baggage, no problem. I'm assuming that you're flying in a day or two in advance, so you'll only need to pack enough water for those first few hotel nights.  Be sure that you have the right converter so you can plug it in to the hotel's outlet.  

2. Be sure to carry on your CPAP on the plane so it isn't damaged / delayed / lost.  If you have it in its own separate carrying case, it is considered Medical Equipment and is exempt from your carry-on baggage limits.  If you pack it inside a larger case with other personal items, it is not exempt from carry-on baggage limits.

3. As has been stated, an extension cord and a jug of distilled water will be provided by RCCL at no charge.  You can fill in the Special Needs form, call Royal, or have your TA handle the request.  If the items aren't in your room upon boarding, simply ask your room attendant and they will be provided quickly. 

As has been said, RCI will provide, even if you forget to ask special needs. Cabin attendant will bring you some distilled H2O.

On Oasis class ships there is an outlet at the head of the bed, so no extension required. Other classes an extension is required to run from desk area.

If you travel with your CPAP, carry it in its provided case. I once put it in with my other luggage to have one less bag and TSA made me open it so they could inspect. No inspection only if it is carried separately in its designated case. And don't give it to a porter. I'd carry it on.

On 6/14/2021 at 8:03 AM, Joseph2017China said:

Also, you can buy a secondary CPAP without a water supply for travels.....they are cheaper than you think and well worth the money.  I think ours was only $150.  

That's what I'm looking into  What brand?  Where did you buy it? My CPAP is fairly small and has a travel case but still it's the lugging around in airports that's a bit of a pain.

10 hours ago, Doug S said:

As has been said, RCI will provide, even if you forget to ask special needs. Cabin attendant will bring you some distilled H2O.

On Oasis class ships there is an outlet at the head of the bed, so no extension required. Other classes an extension is required to run from desk area.

If you travel with your CPAP, carry it in its provided case. I once put it in with my other luggage to have one less bag and TSA made me open it so they could inspect. No inspection only if it is carried separately in its designated case. And don't give it to a porter. I'd carry it on.

They said not to give it to a porter, what if I put it in my luggage and then give it to a porter? I’m getting to the ship pretty early and would hate to have to carry it everywhere I go for a few hours!  

24 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

They said not to give it to a porter, what if I put it in my luggage and then give it to a porter? I’m getting to the ship pretty early and would hate to have to carry it everywhere I go for a few hours!  

I put my CPAP machine in it's travel bag and I put that in a backpack along with a few other items.  Very easy to carry around in a backpack.

27 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

So,,, I travel almost every week and my CPAP is in my airline checked luggage and is my checked luggage going on to ships. (It was in my airline checked luggage and my cruise checked luggage last week on the Adventure). Yeah, there is a tiny risk that the bag will go missing or there is some damage to the unit. But after hundreds of flights and 4-6 cruises a year, I have never had a problem (knock on wood). 

• Like 1

I would like to thank you all for this information.  I filled out the RCCL form, and I assume they send you an email saying something eventually.  I have a CPAP and I thought it would just be my problem, as always...RCCL is there to assist.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for the advice. I have been using mine for 6 months and not cruised with it yet (obviously). 

Does anyone know what ships have plugs next to the bed to make it easier (no cord) Looking at Oasis class Symphony or Harmony

2 hours ago, Nessa1dc said:

I would like to thank you all for this information.  I filled out the RCCL form, and I assume they send you an email saying something eventually.  I have a CPAP and I thought it would just be my problem, as always...RCCL is there to assist.

Thanks again everyone.

They got back to me within one business day! Very professional 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/13/2021 at 1:04 PM, soremekun said:

Please let us know what is incorrect.

Umm, yeah.  I thought TSA requirements were in the realm of correct.  There's obviously more than one way to fill a CPAP............................................

On 6/25/2021 at 6:59 AM, Jenjer said:

Thanks for the advice. I have been using mine for 6 months and not cruised with it yet (obviously). 

Does anyone know what ships have plugs next to the bed to make it easier (no cord) Looking at Oasis class Symphony or Harmony

Take an extension cord and pack it WITH the cpap, already plugged into the CPAP cord.  It will look like part of the apparatus.  You can even get fancy and put a label on it that says, "for CPAP only".