Silver Spirits Drinks Package

luv2cruzuk

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

Please tell me that is not required or expected

Not required or expected.  We do not "pre tip" but do give extra as we feel the need.  Tipping is a very personal thing and complicated by the add on gratuities.  I have always felt that Viking, at their price point and with their ambitions should include tips in the fare.  Then we all are free to follow our conscience as to extra gratuities.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, uktog said:

It is not, and will make no difference. Being polite and pleasant to the bar staff as you usually would is all that is needed. 

Think UK 4/5 star hotel only one that floats. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

It is not, and will make no difference. Being polite and pleasant to the bar staff as you usually would is all that is needed. 

Think UK 4/5 star hotel only one that floats. 

Perfect, I would never "pre trip" there 🙂  I may be stressing too much, I am so used to Azamara where it is a no tip culture (all wrapped into the price) and no special areas for some but not others - we like that style even though we are usually in a suite.  We tried the ship within a ship concept on MSC this summer and hated it.  Just want a relaxed time being well but not over looked after.  

Getting mixed messages though as some seem to say they find this pre tipping makes a difference.

Edited by uktog

3 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Not required or expected.  We do not "pre tip" but do give extra as we feel the need.  Tipping is a very personal thing and complicated by the add on gratuities.  I have always felt that Viking, at their price point and with their ambitions should include tips in the fare.  Then we all are free to follow our conscience as to extra 

They are usually included for UK pax. After the suggested gratuity amount (if not included we pre pay) I give it no further thought. We only pay that in case not doing so reduces crew renumeration. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, uktog said:

In our experience, it is most definitely not required, nor expected. Based on the service we experienced on Viking Sun, I don't see how a bribe would enhance the service.

Viking Bars stock different products, but I never knew which bars carried a specific brand, as the crew always had bottle's of my preference at each bar. They were often referred to as Andy's bottle. Also when we got low on IPA, a 1/2 dozen would be delivered to our cabin's fridge.

Same great service for DW, as every morning she dropped her mug on the Living Room Bar and it was filled with a steaming hot cup of English Breakfast.

In the Theatre, our favourite waiter would deliver drinks shortly after we sat down. Just before the lights went down, 2 more drinks arrived. Nothing was ordered, they just arrived.

Yes, we did provide additonal tips to many of the crew just before disembarkation, but when we invited many of our favourite hotel crew to have lunch or dinner with us in Manfredis - that was a real highlight for them. They could order anything from the menu and were also able to request complimentary beer, wine or other drinks.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, uktog said:

Perfect, I would never "pre trip" there 🙂  I may be stressing too much, I am so used to Azamara where it is a no tip culture (all wrapped into the price) and no special areas for some but not others - we like that style even though we are usually in a suite.  We tried the ship within a ship concept on MSC this summer and hated it.  Just want a relaxed time being well but not over looked after.  

If the gratuities weren't included in the price you were quoted, it's up to you if you pre pay the suggested amount, tip as you go or at the end, or don't tip at all. 

Some of the US contingent get worried about tips as they're embedded in their culture. 

29 minutes ago, uktog said:

Getting mixed messages though as some seem to say they find this pre tipping makes a difference.

I certainly didn't note a "Tipping" culture on Viking. On the shorter cruises, if you pre-pay, I am not aware that this information is passed onto the crew.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Not required or expected.  We do not "pre tip" but do give extra as we feel the need.  Tipping is a very personal thing and complicated by the add on gratuities.  I have always felt that Viking, at their price point and with their ambitions should include tips in the fare.  Then we all are free to follow our conscience as to extra gratuities.  

" --- Viking, at their price point and with their ambitions should include tips in the fare --- "

This is the bottom line on the whole issue. "Gratuities" are clearly nothing more than thinly veiled service charges --- why not treat them as such? Aren't "resort fees" basically the same thing? Who likes those?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

" --- Viking, at their price point and with their ambitions should include tips in the fare --- "

This is the bottom line on the whole issue. "Gratuities" are clearly nothing more than thinly veiled service charges --- why not treat them as such? Aren't "resort fees" basically the same thing? Who likes those?

They are included for passengers from countries that don't have a 'tipping' culture. I have no idea what impact this has on price, given flights and transfers are automatically included In the brochure price for us as well. Only extras are, if you want them, extensions, flight upgrades to business, and the drinks package (which is often also included. 

Resort fees are also included if applicable if booked through a UK site or agent, even if hotel in US

Edited by KBs mum

31 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

They are included for passengers from countries that don't have a 'tipping' culture. I have no idea what impact this has on price, given flights and transfers are automatically included In the brochure price for us as well. Only extras are, if you want them, extensions, flight upgrades to business, and the drinks package (which is often also included. 

Resort fees are also included if applicable if booked through a UK site or agent, even if hotel in US

Sorry, the optional excursions are also not included in the brochure price. 

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

The only market that Viking includes added tips is the North American market and that is to accommodate the tipping culture. UK, NZ and Aus markets do not include tips, as they have a different culture.

If sufficient US pax complain, hopefully Viking will change.

Interesting shift off topic. Legend has it that "tips" (to insure proper service) was a practice started by the well to do so they could feel special about themselves believing a bribe was the best way to be above the rif raf. It seemed to work and now it's a thing. Keeping in mind that "tips" are given before service as a bribe for better service. Gratuities are given in appreciation of exceptional service, a thank you as it were. Unfortunately these little "thankyous"  became expected and now they are embedded in many cultures. Many servers expect 20% even for the most mediocre service. We give a nice gratuity for outstanding service, sometimes if the service is bad the gratuity is very small or not at all.

For cruises I would just prefer they pay a living wage and include that in the price.

• Like 3

Tips/Fees/... have morphed into a technique by businesses to advertise a smaller base price.

All these companies whether be airlines with baggage fees, hotels with resort fees, cruising with gratuities, and many more are just advertising a lower base fare.

It's all about obfuscation.  It's not about encouraging/rewarding service!

If the companies they would rather be completely out of the service salary business.

6 hours ago, zalusky said:

Tips/Fees/... have morphed into a technique by businesses to advertise a smaller base price.

All these companies whether be airlines with baggage fees, hotels with resort fees, cruising with gratuities, and many more are just advertising a lower base fare.

It's all about obfuscation.  It's not about encouraging/rewarding service!

If the companies they would rather be completely out of the service salary business.

Car dealers in the US used to be notorious for such nonsense - which is why we now have the Monroney Label. Before that an agreement on price would be followed by: "It's a deal! Now, would you like tires and wheels with that?"

"For cruises I would just prefer they pay a living wage and include that in the price"

By which country's standard would that living wage be?

I thought I'd just add fuel to the tipping fire and perhaps throw in a "are jeans acceptable at dinner if they are black" question.

Its fun and early here on the west coast and I am NOT going anywhere near a store today or anytime soon.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

"For cruises I would just prefer they pay a living wage and include that in the price"

I thought I'd just add fuel to the tipping fire and perhaps throw in a "are jeans acceptable at dinner if they are black" question.

Its fun and early here on the west coast and I am NOT going anywhere near a store today or anytime soon.

No idea about wages, but I got away with black jeans. Packing snafu, no slacks. Tunic top to cover the pocket stitching, smart shoes, nobody noticed. 

It's a cold wet afternoon here in England, fire lit, sun over yardarm (probably, can't see it through the clouds) not going out again today. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

I think in many ways the gratuity culture in North America is really fueled by the workers. They hold up the "Minimum wage" card which is over $15,00 an hour here in BC (NOT a living wage but still paid to many non tipping jobs). But if you think about gratuities anywhere from 10 to 25% of the bill by how many tables in the section and it doesn't take long for that "minimum wage" position to be $25.00 per hour or more. Of course that is on shore in North America. We are talking about service staff on a high end cruise line which charges a premium price for their product, Customers expect and by most accounts receive premium service. I'm going to stop commenting on "tips" and "gratuities" in the Silver Spirits drinks thread...we already have a Gratuities thread on this board.

Back to the actual subject of the thread, I notice no Ron Zacapa rum on any menus. That's unfortunate but I'm sure I'll find something to enjoy for the occasional drink outside of lunch and dinner. My blue collar tastes are flexible.

11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Interesting shift off topic. Legend has it that "tips" (to insure proper service) was a practice started by the well to do so they could feel special about themselves believing a bribe was the best way to be above the rif raf. It seemed to work and now it's a thing. Keeping in mind that "tips" are given before service as a bribe for better service. Gratuities are given in appreciation of exceptional service, a thank you as it were. Unfortunately these little "thankyous"  became expected and now they are embedded in many cultures. Many servers expect 20% even for the most mediocre service. We give a nice gratuity for outstanding service, sometimes if the service is bad the gratuity is very small or not at all.

For cruises I would just prefer they pay a living wage and include that in the price.

Tips are so embedded in the US that many (most?) restaurants pay their servers less than minimum wage with the assumption that they will make up the difference (and then some) through tips. Which is why we always tip at least 15% at restaurants (usually 20% unless the service is poor). 

• 3 months later...

Reviving this old discussion, since it's SBP related.

Got my final cruise docs today, and the promotional/complimentary SBP wasn't listed on the Pre-Purchased Excursions & On-Board Experiences document.  It's on the Guest Statement/confirmation after I made the final payment.  Should I be concerned?

4 hours ago, Selion said:

Reviving this old discussion, since it's SBP related.

Got my final cruise docs today, and the promotional/complimentary SBP wasn't listed on the Pre-Purchased Excursions & On-Board Experiences document.  It's on the Guest Statement/confirmation after I made the final payment.  Should I be concerned?

No

• Like 1

We are on 80 day cruise in 2024. Question for Jim or Heidi. We where on the 2019 run with you doing the South America leg. We have bought SSP on 2 week cruise and enjoy it. Don't feel 80  days of drinks is justify for ones health. The question is can we buy the pack say on the 60 day of the cruise and pay for the 20 days until the cruise ends.????