Stupid Question

auburn77

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Where are you seeing this?  I'm coming up blank on it.

Hi Gregg,

Where is Thrak when you need him? My guess is he knows the answer to this question😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

22 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Gregg,

Where is Thrak when you need him? My guess is he knows the answer to this question😁

Tony

He's never far, Captain.  But if you want his attention, you should address him as @Thrak😉

31 minutes ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Gregg,

Tony

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

He's never far, Captain.  But if you want his attention, you should address him as @Thrak😉

And why in heck would I have a clue about this? I have never booked a club class mini suite. Heck, I've only booked a mini once and it was a "window mini" that didn't have a balcony. We prefer to sail in Caribe balconies in the aft section. When we sail Coral we sail in B731 - an Ocean View that is all the way aft and we have that entire back deck as "our balcony".

I have no idea where one would see that particular designation but my best guess would be that it was a typo during data entry. At work I would have classified it in one of several ways depending on who made the error.

PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair

PICNIC - Problem in Chair Not in Computer

I D TEN T - IDIOT

LAYER 8 NETWORK ISSUE - There are only 7 network layers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

I D TEN T - IDIOT

Love those.  I only knew the ID10T error.  PICNIC is a good one as it is a real word as well. 

Networks and Hardware not my thing in IT, so I wouldn't have a clue how many layers.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Love those.  I only knew the ID10T error.  PICNIC is a good one as it is a real word as well. 

Networks and Hardware not my thing in IT, so I wouldn't have a clue how many layers.

Sadly, the other 8 folks who had my job around the state didn't get it either and I had to explain it. I did get a comment from the Network folks though when I actually used it in a trouble ticket. They definitely understood. My boss, on the other hand, had no clue at all. He was the best boss I ever had but he transferred from Budgets and Audits to managing an IT section. (It's the state - if you have the time in grade...) He knew very little about IT. I just had to do my job and make him look good and all was great. He's actually the only boss I ever had that I miss. Great guy and wonderful to work for. Just not a tech kind of guy. 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Google is my friend.  And since Thrak didn't know....

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/40/25055

Abstract

Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli is a significant human pathogen that causes disease ranging from hemorrhagic colitis to hemolytic uremic syndrome. The latter can lead to potentially fatal renal failure and is caused by the release of Shiga toxins that are encoded within lambdoid bacteriophages.

This is going to be a thread worth watching.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Sadly, the other 8 folks who had my job around the state didn't get it either and I had to explain it. I did get a comment from the Network folks though when I actually used it in a trouble ticket. They definitely understood. My boss, on the other hand, had no clue at all. He was the best boss I ever had but he transferred from Budgets and Audits to managing an IT section. (It's the state - if you have the time in grade...) He knew very little about IT. I just had to do my job and make him look good and all was great. He's actually the only boss I ever had that I miss. Great guy and wonderful to work for. Just not a tech kind of guy. 😎

I have seen the same thing happen in commercial software houses. A person with no software R & D background or IT background moved to management of such units. This was at businesses that developed COTS software for fortune 500 businesses and governments.

It got even more interesting in the product management and marketing wings of such businesses.

A lot of time was wasted at times explaining the laws of physics to people that had previously been involved in developing pasta sauce, etc.. ; )  I suspect similar stuff happens with marketing of cruises.

It's on my booking confirmation.

It actually reads: Cabin Document Notes

Club Class Mini Stec. W/All Club Amenities Extended Angled Balcony

2 minutes ago, auburn77 said:

Suite Cabin?

25 minutes ago, auburn77 said:

If I go into a cruise to make a mock booking, and select a Mini Suite, I see the following after selecting an available Club Class cabin:

Special Notes: Club Class Mini Ste W/all Club Amenities Extended Angled Balc

In the above, "Ste" is short for "Suite" obviously.  Never booked one nor been upgraded to one.  Most Princess cruisers complain about the misnomer because a Mini Suite is not really a "Suite" at all and it's a bit of puffery on Princess' part. 

IDK why you have "Stec" - perhaps some sort of typo, or something poorly conceived into a booking confirmation notice.

8 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If I go into a cruise to make a mock booking, and select a Mini Suite, I see the following after selecting an available Club Class cabin:

In the above, "Ste" is short for "Suite" obviously.  Never booked one nor been upgraded to one.  Most Princess cruisers complain about the misnomer because a Mini Suite is not really a "Suite" at all and it's a bit of puffery on Princess' part. 

IDK why you have "Stec" - perhaps some sort of typo, or something poorly conceived into a booking confirmation notice.

The interesting thing is…on Cunard QE and QV they took the same cabin arrangement as I had in a mini suite on Island PRincess, and sell it for a lot more money as Princess Grill.  We were on QE for a short 4 day cruise ( in an inside) and my TA was to be on the next cruise in an OV gty.  I went to find her cabin, and on the way passed these cabins that looked like minis.  Looking at the deck plans later, I realized they were Princess Grill cabins.  ( I was leaving her 27 days worth of Celebrity pillow chocolates for two, and a teddy bear from Guernsey).  

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

This exact phrase highlighted above in green is on my initial booking confirmation for a Club Class Mini-Suite on the Majestic Princess. So it would seem that as already suggested the Stec is Princesses abbreviation for Suite-Club Class. I have since upgraded the Mini-Suite to a Penthouse Suite.

12 hours ago, Thrak said:

And why in heck would I have a clue about this? I have never booked a club class mini suite. Heck, I've only booked a mini once and it was a "window mini" that didn't have a balcony. We prefer to sail in Caribe balconies in the aft section. When we sail Coral we sail in B731 - an Ocean View that is all the way aft and we have that entire back deck as "our balcony".

I have no idea where one would see that particular designation but my best guess would be that it was a typo during data entry. At work I would have classified it in one of several ways depending on who made the error.

I D TEN T - IDIOT

Hey, stop giving away all of our secret code meanings......

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I agree with you that it is just a puffed up balcony. I would normally not book something like this. A balcony would have been fine. However, I booked last November and the fare was $2,000 less for us at the time (with many perks) than it is now. I guess they didn't really believe it would sail (I didn't either). I got a Club Class (on the Majesty instead of the Emerald where we were originally booked) for just a little more than a regular balcony.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bagney said:

This exact phrase highlighted above in green is on my initial booking confirmation for a Club Class Mini-Suite on the Majestic Princess. So it would seem that as already suggested the Stec is Princesses abbreviation for Suite-Club Class. I have since upgraded the Mini-Suite to a Penthouse Suite.

I agree with the consensus of what it must be, but oddly when I fished out my booking confirmation for a September 2022 Club Class Mini, it doesn't say that at all. I've got one of the large minis forward, top of the ship, and it says M6, which is the category. Those are Club Class, or at least they have been and still show up as being. 

2 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

What does adding @ before the name do ?

Try it out.  It opens up the listing of all CC member handles.  Start typing the one you want and the list narrows down until you see the one you want in the drop-down and then click on it to select it. 

When you see a handle highlighted in light blue in a posting, it means that CC member has received a notice that someone made a post and mentioned them in it.

Amazing thanks ! So that sends a message to the person that they are mentioned in a post versus sending a message to that person ? Is there a way to search for a person ? I see comments like 'IM me for more information' but do not see how to do it.

@Thrak Another well used acronym RTFM

See @Steelers36 I learn fast 🙂

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Amazing thanks ! So that sends a message to the person that they are mentioned in a post versus sending a message to that person ? Is there a way to search for a person ? I see comments like 'IM me for more information' but do not see how to do it.

@Thrak Another well used acronym RTFM

See @Steelers36 I learn fast 🙂

CC does not allow direct messaging to other members even though there is a place or two where you might see that option to click on.  Only way for that to happen is if you happen to learn their email address.  I have noticed a small number of members have a link to their email in their signature section.

Edited by Steelers36

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

CC does not allow direct messaging to other members even though there is a place or two where you might see that option to click on.  Only way for that to happen is if you happen to learn their email address.  I have noticed a small number of members have a link to their email in their signature section.

Perhaps Messaging used to be available. When I click on a handle it show Message icon but then says - This Feature Has Been Disabled