Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

Web site is up and running.

Connected right away to Live Chat

Agent B....was not very helpful.  He says that web based Medallion will be ready "soon".  No date of release.  When I pushed for more, he kept repeating broken record.

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 1:42 PM, CruiseVA said:

If y'all are sporting a phone running Android 8.x it's time to upgrade your phone - 8.1 was released dec 2017 - over 4 years ago.  It's crazy for them to support such an ancient phone OS. I'm curious, those of you sporting that - when did you get your last security update?

😀I had to chuckle at this reply as I walked out to my 81 monte carlo to drive to my 1915 home and sit on my 36 year old couch to watch my 1984 TV.......Best as I know, no security updates needed as we only use the phone to call places so there is no info on it or provided to purchase it.

Anyways confirmed into the green lane and again informed there is no need for the app so we will see. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My security photo just started being recognized a day or two later and I'm green lane now, such a strange system they have where waiting a few days a lot of times just fixes things on their own. They must have a lot of infrastructure issues where they have lots of batch processes that take days to run. 

Edited by grizzle-bizzle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grizzle-bizzle said:

My security photo just started being recognized a day or two later and I'm green lane now, such a strange system they have where waiting a few days a lot of times just fixes things on their own. They must have a lot of infrastructure issues where they have lots of batch processes that take days to run. 

It may be an issue of many different servers getting updated at different times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, amajaa said:

When is the best time to sign up for the app please, we aren't cruising until August. 

Also do you have to re sign up for each cruise. 

You don't sign up for the MC App.  You download it from either the Apple Store or the Google Play Store.  Once you have the App, you can leave it on your phone for future use.  For the past many months, it has been updated once per month to add/change features or mostly fix bugs.  I would suggest checking for updates before attempting to use it for a future booking.

Once you have booked a cruise, IMO, the best time to install the App and work with your booking is soon after you make a booking.  You can find out if all is good and working for you.  I would at least do it before Final Payment (FP) Date because once you have made the FP, you have access to DineMyWay (DMW) in order to book any dining preferences.  When you are Platinum or Elite, you have access to DMW as soon as you book.

You should also keep in touch with Princess.com for any changes to health protocols, cruise cancellations, cancellation policies, etc.

It could be that before your August cruise, Princess will release the much-anticipated web version of the MC App (for pre-cruise purposes).  For sure before your next one after that.

47 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You don't sign up for the MC App.  You download it from either the Apple Store or the Google Play Store.  Once you have the App, you can leave it on your phone for future use.  For the past many months, it has been updated once per month to add/change features or mostly fix bugs.  I would suggest checking for updates before attempting to use it for a future booking.

Once you have booked a cruise, IMO, the best time to install the App and work with your booking is soon after you make a booking.  You can find out if all is good and working for you.  I would at least do it before Final Payment (FP) Date because once you have made the FP, you have access to DineMyWay (DMW) in order to book any dining preferences.  When you are Platinum or Elite, you have access to DMW as soon as you book.

You should also keep in touch with Princess.com for any changes to health protocols, cruise cancellations, cancellation policies, etc.

It could be that before your August cruise, Princess will release the much-anticipated web version of the MC App (for pre-cruise purposes).  For sure before your next one after that.

Thanks, we are Elite. This cruise has been moved from 2020 then to 2021 and then again to 2022 .It was sometime last spring I think they cancelled the 2021 and gave us the option of transfering. We will download.

We might even have a version somewhere from our March 2020 cancelled Hawaii cruise but will delete and start again. 

Got into the App, does my Husband need to download on his phone as well please? 

I did the dining times for each night but every time I tried it said could share table with other guests. Is that normal to say that? Normally we don't mind sharing but in these Covid times would prefer not to. We picked an early dining time every night so didn't think most people would dine that early.  Just thought I wonder if it's because I clicked table close to window.

Also there didn't seem to be anywhere for me to change my email address, I don't normally use the one they have down anymore. 

When I first got into the app a page came up trying to charge me money, was that to use the internet on the cruise if I wanted ? 

Sorry for all the questions a novice at this Medallion app malarky. 

Edited by amajaa

I have not used MC for some time, cancelled earlier cruise and just now getting back in the saddle 🙂

Everything seems to be working for basic set up! Information carried over from prior input.

Question, what does Link Booking mean? Does it refer to other fellow passengers? DD and DGD are travelling with us in a separate booking.

Both my wife and I have trouble with the Medallion app with the credit card putting information. I uninstalled and installed the program and still have trouble to put in our credit card info. It said: "This payment already exists for another guest. Have you add you as an authorized user of their account or add a different payment". My wife did the same and has the same issue. We usually use one preferred credit card. If we add on another new credit card, our prepaid internet package, specialty dining will be charged on the new credit card. Anyone has any idea what we should do or we need to call Ocean Medallion Department?

45 minutes ago, JimCruising said:

Both my wife and I have trouble with the Medallion app with the credit card putting information. I uninstalled and installed the program and still have trouble to put in our credit card info. It said: "This payment already exists for another guest. Have you add you as an authorized user of their account or add a different payment". My wife did the same and has the same issue. We usually use one preferred credit card. If we add on another new credit card, our prepaid internet package, specialty dining will be charged on the new credit card. Anyone has any idea what we should do or we need to call Ocean Medallion Department?

Happened to me...couldn't fix it, DH had our usual credit card, it wouldn't let me link it. So, I used a different card for my account. I'll change it when we get on the ship.

• Thanks 1

Well, we made it through the process, and in only 24 hours to "green lane" status, but it was certainly a PITA.  It feels like you have this modern looking app up front, with a third-world bureaucracy running on paper in filing cabinets behind the scenes.  Single biggest takeaway was that when things don't look right, go away for an hour and come back to it later.  Second is that yes, you can do both of you from one app/phone, and it might be slightly easier (you might still want the app on both your phones for the cruise, though).

It felt like the company has tried to do Google-style cloud-based services, but without having Google-level engineering talent and the result is predictably messy.  I was definitely tempted to dump the app and just show up with my documents and check in the old fashioned way.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, amajaa said:

Got into the App, does my Husband need to download on his phone as well please? 

I did the dining times for each night but every time I tried it said could share table with other guests. Is that normal to say that? Normally we don't mind sharing but in these Covid times would prefer not to. We picked an early dining time every night so didn't think most people would dine that early.  Just thought I wonder if it's because I clicked table close to window.

Also there didn't seem to be anywhere for me to change my email address, I don't normally use the one they have down anymore. 

When I first got into the app a page came up trying to charge me money, was that to use the internet on the cruise if I wanted ? 

Sorry for all the questions a novice at this Medallion app mullarky. 

He can download the App if he is interested in having the access to the booking as well.  He will want the App on board I should think for possibly checking on where to meet up with you, ordering items, etc.  PS - You can setup all the info from your login for the both of you.  

You wrote that you picked an early time for each night.  Did you book dining night-by-night or did you book for the entire voyage selecting time and place once?  You should do the latter if you want a chance for same table and wait staff each night.  Also, whichever way you do it, you should be offered the SHARING option or PRIVATE table option.  If the System is out of table space to hold your dining party a Private table, it will say SPLIT.  It could be that only sharing at larger tables is available at the time(s) you were wanting.  I cannot say.  That is not to ay you won't be able to get a Private table - but you'll have to keep checking DMW or ask on-board.  How many different DR's are you offered when using DMW right now?  Which ship?

Login at PRINCESS.COM.  Click on "My Account" at the top of the page.  Click on "Profile Information".  When that comes up, click on the EDIT icon in the section with your email address and update it.  This is not something you do in the MC App.

IDK what you are referring to about the App trying to charge you money.  You wrote that it happened right away.  Nothing should be charging you money immediately upon logging in.  You should be on the main page with options to use Ocean Ready, Ocean View, Ocean Now, etc.

Edited by Steelers36

7 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Question, what does Link Booking mean? Does it refer to other fellow passengers? DD and DGD are travelling with us in a separate booking.

It is presumably to link in another booking you have made that isn't already showing in the App.  I am not sure of a situation where this would be required as any booking you make that has your Captain's Circle id should auto-sync to the MC App.

Adding fellow passengers is done by Adding Travel Companions using their Booking Number(s).  In this way, you can reserve dining together and perhaps anything else they might have reservations for in future.

6 hours ago, JimCruising said:

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Happened to me...couldn't fix it, DH had our usual credit card, it wouldn't let me link it. So, I used a different card for my account. I'll change it when we get on the ship.

The MC App works the same way as the former function in the Cruise Personalizer worked.  One of the two of a couple sets up a credit card and then goes into the profile of the companion and authorizes them to use the same card for their charges. 

I do have two CC's setup under Medallion Pay section.  However, one is identified as primary for charges and my wife is authorized user.  I don't see any difference from Cruise Personalizer setup.  I also have the option to delete cards and start over.

If you want separate charges for each person, then the second person has to enter a unique credit card number

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The MC App works the same way as the former function in the Cruise Personalizer worked.  One of the two of a couple sets up a credit card and then goes into the profile of the companion and authorizes them to use the same card for their charges. 

I do have two CC's setup under Medallion Pay section.  However, one is identified as primary for charges and my wife is authorized user.  I don't see any difference from Cruise Personalizer setup.  I also have the option to delete cards and start over.

If you want separate charges for each person, then the second person has to enter a unique credit card number

I have added my wife is authorized user. Also I have the option to delete card and then when I stated over and added back the same credit card number and added my wife is authored user again, it then said "This payment already exists for another guest....", not allowing me to add the same primary credit card number again.

49 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

It is presumably to link in another booking you have made that isn't already showing in the App.  I am not sure of a situation where this would be required as any booking you make that has your Captain's Circle id should auto-sync to the MC App.

Adding fellow passengers is done by Adding Travel Companions using their Booking Number(s).  In this way, you can reserve dining together and perhaps anything else they might have reservations for in future.

Thank you, Steelers, I made the same mistake previously, thinking a Travelling Companion would be DW and another Booking would be a separate fellow passenger. Would never guess that it would be a separate, unrelated Booking!

16 minutes ago, JimCruising said:

I have added my wife is authorized user. Also I have the option to delete card and then when I stated over and added back the same credit card number and added my wife is authored user again, it then said "This payment already exists for another guest....", not allowing me to add the same primary credit card number again.

Did you delete her setup first/ as well, before starting over?  Is it there for another booked voyage?  Just guessing at straws here.

Edited by Steelers36

7 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Thank you, Steelers, I made the same mistake previously, thinking a Travelling Companion would be DW and another Booking would be a separate fellow passenger. Would never guess that it would be a separate, unrelated Booking!

Your DW is an automatic (or should I say automagic since this was all designed by an ex-Disney guy?) travel companion since she is presumably part of your booking and not on a separate booking in another cabin.  But, yes, you add other fellow pax you know - and who share their booking number with you - as Travel Companions.  This is similar to how we might have added fellow pax in the old <ship>.princess.com function in order to be able to send messages via Princess.

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Did you delete her setup first/ as well, before starting over?  Is it there for another booked voyage?  Just guessing at straws here.

We came back from Jan cruise was no problem with the MedallionPay and also no problem with our March booking. However, suddenly last week the MedallionPay showed the CC info was missing, so I tried to input the CC info but failed. I Uninstalled and reinstalled the program, re-input the primary CC data but still unsuccessful - not allowing me/or my wife to put in our primary CC. Ugh!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

He can download the App if he is interested in having the access to the booking as well.  He will want the App on board I should think for possibly checking on where to meet up with you, ordering items, etc.  PS - You can setup all the info from your login for the both of you.  

You wrote that you picked an early time for each night.  Did you book dining night-by-night or did you book for the entire voyage selecting time and place once?  You should do the latter if you want a chance for same table and wait staff each night.  Also, whichever way you do it, you should be offered the SHARING option or PRIVATE table option.  If the System is out of table space to hold your dining party a Private table, it will say SPLIT.  It could be that only sharing at larger tables is available at the time(s) you were wanting.  I cannot say.  That is not to ay you won't be able to get a Private table - but you'll have to keep checking DMW or ask on-board.  How many different DR's are you offered when using DMW right now?  Which ship?

Login at PRINCESS.COM.  Click on "My Account" at the top of the page.  Click on "Profile Information".  When that comes up, click on the EDIT icon in the section with your email address and update it.  This is not something you do in the MC App.

IDK what you are referring to about the App trying to charge you money.  You wrote that it happened right away.  Nothing should be charging you money immediately upon logging in.  You should be on the main page with options to use Ocean Ready, Ocean View, Ocean Now, etc.

Thanks, you are a star for all this info.

I did dining day by day, the cruise isn't until the end of August on the Emerald Princess. I only got the choice of one dinning room and didn't get asked if we wanted a private table. I tried all the times between 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock and all of them except the first day came up saying you may have to share this table with other guests.  The only time on the first day that didn't come up saying that was 5.20 so I booked it.

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

That's great...when it works. It's not what happened on my app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

Poking around on both the app and website today and noticed that there is a mismatch in itinerary for our upcoming cruise.  Grand Turk is still on the website but not the app.  Which to believe.  🤔

I would believe the App, it i smore dynamic. Santa Barbara showed on the itinerary map long after it was deleted from the itinerary.

• Like 1