Booking Fare Survey: Which Cruise fare do you book? With or Without the Princess Plus Pacakage

Jeter02

Booking Fare Survey: Which Cruise fare do you book? With or Without the Princess Plus Pacakage  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Booking Fare Survey: Which Cruise fare do you book? With the Princess Plus Package or Cruise fare ONLY?

• Princess Saver (Cruise fare ONLY)
    • Princess Plus Package (gratuities, wifi, drink package)

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Math doesn't seem to work???  $30/week???

Yes with the new revised elite benefits they're now only charging 50% less for the medallionate. From what I can recall what I would pay I'm bored pre-covit for The medallion it should come out to be about $30 maybe $35 Max for a week sailing

31 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've dropped a couple hundred on the slots on each of our last couple of cruises.  Doesn't qualify me for squat. I didn't expect it to so no disappointment there.

IDK how they pick people.  I do know the hours I spend in evenings at the poker table don't count for diddly-squat.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Yes with the new revised elite benefits they're now only charging 50% less for the medallionate. From what I can recall what I would pay I'm bored pre-covit for The medallion it should come out to be about $30 maybe $35 Max for a week sailing

Yes, $35 net sounds right for 1 week.  If they have the same packages that are priced by voyage length then the cost per day goes down with longer voyages (or B2B2....).  

It isn't yet clear if the pricing will be same going forward with the packaging by cruise length.  Also not clear if that is the case, if the 50% off will apply to them like the previous 25% did.  Or, possible that our list price base will be flat $10/day no matter length of cruise and hence pay $5/day.  Means benefit decreases as voyage length increases.  Oh well, $5 isn't a bad thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, $35 net sounds right for 1 week.  If they have the same packages that are priced by voyage length then the cost per day goes down with longer voyages (or B2B2....).  

It isn't yet clear if the pricing will be same going forward with the packaging by cruise length.  Also not clear if that is the case, if the 50% off will apply to them like the previous 25% did.  Or, possible that our list price base will be flat $10/day no matter length of cruise and hence pay $5/day.  Means benefit decreases as voyage length increases.  Oh well, $5 isn't a bad thing.

I will be finding out soon as I will be sailing the Majestic August 1st. My fingers are crossed that they're keeping the price of The medallion at the same it was pre covid.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've dropped a couple hundred on the slots on each of our last couple of cruises.  Doesn't qualify me for squat. I didn't expect it to so no disappointment there.

We don't play slots, just blackjack. We rarely give them more than $250 per cruise.  We can usually stay at the table for awhile...

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

I will be finding out soon as I will be sailing the Majestic August 1st. My fingers are crossed that they're keeping the price of The medallion at the same it was pre covid.

Let us know how it works IRL. I book the savers. Plus = $40 qd.

15 tip

05 internet @ 10 qd per PVP

$20. Maybe 1 glass wine but they've run put of my choice so often I just bring 1-2 bottles with me. 

Trade minibar for 2 coffee cards

We are Saver Fare bookers.  Never went for the PLUS as yet.  We also never saw value-proposition in the previous days when Princess put on the drink package promotion (drawing a blank on the name).  Our fave old promo was 3 For Free.  

I have to re-think my recent math as I was over-valuing the PLUS cost.  Since it is part of the cruise fare, we get a cash discount of at least 12% (discount Agency), so that means net cost of $35.20/day.  I suspect Saver is still the winner as long as I am bringing on my own wine.  If that isn't the case, then the PLUS option should at least break us even if not be ahead some, using the $35.20 actual cost versus the "List Price" of $40.  We used to get 15% off, so $34 is even better if it comes back again in future.

Crew Incentive = $14.50/day

Internet = $5/day max (but only $2.50 if sailing with friends).

Total = $17.00, typically

Net Balance to Allocate to Drinks = ($35.20 - $17.00 = $18.20).  Times TWO for the two of us = $36.40.

Other purchases if not getting PLUS:

Starter water package + "some" coffee + "some" bar drinks:  Avg $7+/day over length of a cruise voyage.  For both of us combined.

Net for PLUS = $36.40 - $7+ = ~$29.00/day.  So, more than two drinks/day on a daily basis for the two of us combined.  Which we don't do - especially on port days.  We usually have lunch and a beer in ports.

BYOW - I can do my own wine, based on our typical dinner time consumption, for about $10/day.  The above spend rate needs to be $29/day for us both to justify PLUS.  So $19 net after allowing for wine, means almost one extra drink per day for each of us - roughly.  But we just don't normally do that - and not due to being skin-flints.  I have been lucky on corkage fees - not being charged for every bottle, but should factor in something for that.

If not bringing on own wine, would need to spend ~$29/day on wine and that is about right for three glasses - a little under considering the 18% likely.  So, without BYOW, I would most likely book the PLUS.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jeter02 said:

Please do report back and tag my CC handle when you do if you can remember.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

Please do report back and tag my CC handle when you do if you can remember.  Thanks!!

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We are Saver Fare bookers.  Never went for the PLUS as yet.  We also never saw value-proposition in the previous days when Princess put on the drink package promotion (drawing a blank on the name).  Our fave old promo was 3 For Free.  

I have to re-think my recent math as I was over-valuing the PLUS cost.  Since it is part of the cruise fare, we get a cash discount of at least 12% (discount Agency), so that means net cost of $35.20/day.  I suspect Saver is still the winner as long as I am bringing on my own wine.  If that isn't the case, then the PLUS option should at least break us even if not be ahead some, using the $35.20 actual cost versus the "List Price" of $40.  We used to get 15% off, so $34 is even better if it comes back again in future.

Crew Incentive = $14.50/day

Internet = $5/day max (but only $2.50 if sailing with friends).

Total = $17.00, typically

Net Balance to Allocate to Drinks = ($35.20 - $17.00 = $18.20).  Times TWO for the two of us = $36.40.

Other purchases if not getting PLUS:

Starter water package + "some" coffee + "some" bar drinks:  Avg $7+/day over length of a cruise voyage.  For both of us combined.

Net for PLUS = $36.40 - $7+ = ~$29.00/day.  So, more than two drinks/day on a daily basis for the two of us combined.  Which we don't do - especially on port days.  We usually have lunch and a beer in ports.

BYOW - I can do my own wine, based on our typical dinner time consumption, for about $10/day.  The above spend rate needs to be $29/day for us both to justify PLUS.  So $19 net after allowing for wine, means almost one extra drink per day for each of us - roughly.  But we just don't normally do that - and not due to being skin-flints.  I have been lucky on corkage fees - not being charged for every bottle, but should factor in something for that.

If not bringing on own wine, would need to spend ~$29/day on wine and that is about right for three glasses - a little under considering the 18% likely.  So, without BYOW, I would most likely book the PLUS.

I like your breakdown 😉

• Thanks 1

Sailing in November, got the Plus pkg for the first time.  Not many alcoholoic drinks for the two of us, but I do like the specialty coffees, a beer now and then, plus diet cokes, and bottled water.  While the math might not exactly add up, I thought just not worrying about how much any of this costs is worth the purchase of Plus.  Once on board, I will see what I think of it then.

BTW, I do like the 10% off excursions, and one excursion for the 2 of us will make up for the cruise # OBC being dropped.

AZ Stan

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

OK, wondering about how you could figure $ 10 a day for wine when the corkage fee is 20 bucks per bottle - so your $ 10 bottle becomes $ 30 on board

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

OK, wondering about how you could figure $ 10 a day for wine when the corkage fee is 20 bucks per bottle - so your $ 10 bottle becomes $ 30 on board

For a couple of cruises, I averaged about $10/day over length of the cruise based on total bill at Total Wine in FLL.  We consume at most, a half-bottle per day.  Sometimes less as we might have a beer with a dinner instead of wine.  

Don't recall what I did last time in price analysis - I think I might have counted a couple of corkage fees (used to be $15).  I have not paid for every extra bottle since PLUS has been introduced.  Maybe lucky, but works for me.  Sometimes we have started a bottle in the room and they only charge for unopened bottles. 

None of my bottles purchased are $10 price.  I do realize corkage is now $20/bottle, but the cost would be spread over the average number of days the wine lasts.  And two bottles are free of corkage fee.  I know I should factor something in, but I have been pleasantly surprised at minimal costs on recent voyages.  (We are always early arrivals for check-in and the wine table is not setup, so it is up to DR staff to assess the fee in that case).

I will never be one to carry wine in open glasses to the DR.  I am prepared to pay, but grateful if not charged.  (Grateful means our waiter will get end up with some extra cash in that case - but don't bribe him/her of course if anyone looks to go there).

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

And two bottles are free of corkage fee.  I know I should factor something in, but I have been pleasantly surprised at minimal costs on recent voyages

well, it seems your "analysis" for your unique situation, is certainly skewed to the justification of not getting PLUS - and mine would be just the opposite, figuring every possible $$ spent to justify getting the PLUS, even with minimal 'alcoholic' drinks

choice, again, is a beautiful thing - and at least for now - Princess still allows that

stay safe ...

• Like 3

I would previously have said I was a saver person, until they changed the Elite perks. Now I am a Plus person.  My math, which is probably flawed, showed it was $280/per person difference between saver fare, and plus on a 7 day cruise.  Out of the Plus cost you get your "crew incentive", wifi, and drinks, $101.50, $69.79, and $479.57 respectively according to the website/my bookings.  To me that is $650 vs $280 which saves me $370.86. 🤷‍♀️  I am not a huge drinker, but having the option to have specialty coffee, smoothies or whatever seems like an easy choice to book Plus over paying individually.  YMMV

2 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

I would previously have said I was a saver person, until they changed the Elite perks. Now I am a Plus person.  My math, which is probably flawed, showed it was $280/per person difference between saver fare, and plus on a 7 day cruise.  Out of the Plus cost you get your "crew incentive", wifi, and drinks, $101.50, $69.79, and $479.57 respectively according to the website/my bookings.  To me that is $650 vs $280 which saves me $370.86. 🤷‍♀️  I am not a huge drinker, but having the option to have specialty coffee, smoothies or whatever seems like an easy choice to book Plus over paying individually.  YMMV

There is a big flaw there.  No one is going to pay for the Premium Beverage Package at $479.57 (assuming you have the correct total price), when they can have that and more for $280.  You would have to be out of your mind.  I don't understand why they even offer it.  I suppose it it less than 2 people paying $40 each for PLUS if only one is a big drinker and the other drinks mostly/all the free stuff.

A fairer comparison would be to understand how much YOU will normally spend on drinks of all types per cruise and add that to the other two numbers and see if total exceeds $280.  You can likely purchase internet for less than $70 if they keep same package offers as before.

• Like 1

There is a big flaw there.  No one is going to pay for the Premium Beverage Package at $479.57 (assuming you have the correct total price), when they can have that and more for $280.  You would have to be out of your mind.  I don't understand why they even offer it.  I suppose it it less than 2 people paying $40 each for PLUS if only one is a big drinker and the other drinks mostly/all the free stuff.

A fairer comparison would be to understand how much YOU will normally spend on drinks of all types per cruise and add that to the other two numbers and see if total exceeds $280.  You can likely purchase internet for less than $70 if they keep same package offers as before.

And so many cruises in the past I have so many people that I have met that I randomly spoken to where they happily have told me they paid for their drink packages which she has about right at that $479 roughly. And I laughed myself when I hear that they did not just pay for that amount for themselves but for everyone in their party and I'm talking about parties as much as to the six (one group was traveling with their adult children).

On the other hand I applaud him for taking out for each individual person instead of being those people in the past where one person in the party would pay for the drink package and their spouse or whoever they were traveling with would use their room key to try to get the drink package applied to them as well to get their drinks under one package. When the rule has always been the package is per person not for the whole cabin or party

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

well, it seems your "analysis" for your unique situation, is certainly skewed to the justification of not getting PLUS - and mine would be just the opposite, figuring every possible $$ spent to justify getting the PLUS, even with minimal 'alcoholic' drinks

choice, again, is a beautiful thing - and at least for now - Princess still allows that

stay safe ...

I hear you but I do also look for justification of it.  For us it is justified if not bringing my own wine on board (would be nice to see the bottle and glass price list now in 2021).  Perhaps it is more break-even if BMOW.

Aside - there should be lots of wine nicely aged during the Pauses - unless the skeleton crew drank most of it.  If they leave prices as they were (LOL to the max), there could be some decent value bottles.  But if I had PLUS, I would order by the glass and not worry if some required a differential up-charge.

• Haha 1

We book Princess Plus. For us it's a very simple choice. Specialty coffee in the morning, a beer by the pool, a glass of wine at Vines in the evening, a drink, in the evening... Not a hard choice for us to go with Plus.

Note: The above is pretty much my wife. My morning latte may well contain a shot of Jameson. My evening drink may well be several. We like being able to grab a couple bottles of water to take ashore with us as well so it's nice not to have to pay "extra" for that.

• Like 5

Haven't cruised yet, but doesn't Princess Plus not only cover the crew gratuity, but also covers the tips for your drinks?  Just curious now...do folks who don't do Plus tip their bartenders or do they give extra at the end?  Or does the drink price include a service charge?  Also, I look at the Premier Beverage Package as a challenge.  15 drinks a day...not normally, but I'm going to do my best on the cruise!

Edited by PACD_JG
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Haven't cruised yet, but doesn't Princess Plus not only cover the crew gratuity, but also covers the tips for your drinks.  Just curious now...do folks who don't do Plus tip their bartenders or do they give extra at the end?  Also, I look at the Premier Beverage Package as a challenge.  15 drinks a day...not normally, but I'm going to do my best on the cruise!

For those without a drink package if you get a drink at the bar, they automatically stick on the gratuity to your bar bill. 

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 2

We just booked with Plus. I figured after gratuities if we had 3-4 drinks a day, including pop and coffee, then it’s break even. Definitely worth it. We don’t generally use WiFi but might as well since it will be included. And I won’t have the hassle of carrying on wine or worrying about the price of every drink. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We too just booked our first plus. Close call if you crunch numbers, but decided that extra  special coffee, water for shore, mocktail “ just because I felt like it”, and glass of wine overlooking the waves would add a very special feeling to a great trip. And NO bill to pay at the end for those wonderful memories. Already excited to do it! 

• Like 1

My two cents, we always go Plus and I am amazed they do it for $40 including Grats. To those who say you need to drink like a fish and to someone who said 5 drinks is break even, how about this:

$40 -$14.50 =$25.5 - any permutation of 2 glasses of wine/ specialty coffee / bottled water more than breaks even.

I think the 'drinks like a fish' was appropriate to the full beverage package at ~ $70 per day, But even then I would have a beer when we re-boarded, a drink before dinner, two glasses of wine with dinner and a night cap at the show - throw in specialty coffee and daily water and it just about broke even and was worth the convenience.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 2