What to drink on Premium package?

Bruin Steve

8 hours ago, duck65 said:

Go up to the Observation lounge during happy hour and order a pineapple Croic vodka and cranberry juice. They go down very easy and taste great. Watch the amount or you wont make it to dinner.

No observation lounge on Apex...

11 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

My wife does tend to stick to New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. 

Your wife & I have similar tastes...not a huge fan of CA S. Blancs.

Went to a large Wine event a few years back at home. Spoke to a vintner from Chile & mentioned that i was starting to notice I preferred NZ CBs over CA. 

He said the flavors are different due to the climate differences. 

I like French & Italian SBs as well--tho Italian ones can have about 3 different flavor profiles. 

THAT is why I must ALWAYS upgrade to Premium...

(Funny my GO TO at home is a $3 Aldi Pino Grigio...)

Edited by KKB

Thank you all for the recommendations...I'll probably make myself a few notes to take with me.  The idea for me is I have a pattern to what I order if I have no drink package or the "classic" package...but it would be a shame to waste having the Premium package by ordering from my normal pattern...Yes, a good time to try out a lot of different stuff.

As to the bartenders being busy, I think I've got an advantageous situation there as well...First, based on current reports and the apparent state of bookings, this ship is likely to be at least half-empty...which should help with access to bars and bartenders...Second, we are in a Sky Suite for these cruises, so we will have the "Retreat"--which I suspect may have superior service to begin with...

Now I just want to get there already...We depart in about 19 days!!!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

My taste are simple, and I do not drink scotch so will not make any recommendations:

Neat:

Woodford Reserve Double Oak 

Zacapa 23

Mixed:

Margarita  -  Herradura Resposado 

Gin & Tonic  -  Tanqueray Ten

Vodka & Tonic -  Ketel One 

GREAT choices! 

My go to drinks on a cruise are....

• Makers Mark Double Oaked with a splash of ginger ale with dinner.
  • Baileys Irish Cream on the rocks for the evening show.
  • Courvoisier VSOP cognac with my late night cigar.
  •  During the day, IF I drink alcohol by the pool it is usually a frozen Blue Hawaiian or a Tanqueray and tonic.

As others have said, if you have the premium package its a great time to try some new things to see what you like.     No harm, no foul if you don't like the drink.   If you do, then you've just added to your potential drink quiver.

Blue Hawaiians all in a row.

693652668_BlueHawaiians.jpg.9b1b113e4b8257cabfedd18eeb08b938.jpg

Edited by zdad59

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Some suggestions…

Sounds like you’re into basics. Which is great. So let’s start with whisk(e)y and go from there. 

Celebrity has a very limited number of bourbons, but Makers and Woodford are both nice. Suggestion: Get a neat pour and a side of ice. And a glass of water. Try them neat, but there’s no crime In adding a small ice cube. If you order on the rocks, odds are it will be all ice. After the second pour, you want taste a difference for awhile…

Scotch. Better selection. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are the entry drugs into Single Malt. Same recommendation as for bourbon. Most single malt drinkers will drink them neat. A full rocks pour will dilute fast, but if they seem too “hot” to you, add a bit of ice at your own pace. Macallan is sort of a step up from Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, so try it sometime on the cruise. Macallan is usually priced higher than the others, so it’s a good deal on the package. 

Tequila selection. Meh.

Rum: Flor Cana and Zacapa 23 are both excellent. Neat or a little ice. 

Cocktails:  Does Apex have a World Class Bar?  One of my favorite drinks onboard is the Zacapa Old Fashion, made with rum instead of bourbon or rye. 

The premium package gives you some excellent gins. Try a good dry martini with Hendricks or Tanqueray 10. Have a Negroni from a good gin. 

I’ve usually found at least one bar on the ship with an old school bartender. .if you find them when they’re not swamped, they’ll take care of you. 

Apparently your expertise extends far beyond all things federal! 😊

8 minutes ago, marieps said:

Apparently your expertise extends far beyond all things federal! 😊

Meaningless trivia, band names, song titles,etc. but not enough to ever win or probably get on Jeopardy. Unless they had categories like classic rock, the Space Race, potent potables, etc.  But I’d  get stuck with renaissance art, 13th century opera, or maybe Italian composers (answer Puccini until it’s right…). 

Booze is just fun. Wine is even more fun, but  who knows what they’ll have onboard. Almost certainly nothing I’d bu ashore. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Second, we are in a Sky Suite for these cruises, so we will have the "Retreat"--which I suspect may have superior service to begin with...

Missed that. In my limited experience, it’s very possible the retreat will have whiskies available that aren’t in any package. I remember an excellent Scotch that was only in Michael’s at the time. So that opens up options!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markeb said:

Cocktails:  Does Apex have a World Class Bar?  One of my favorite drinks onboard is the Zacapa Old Fashion, made with rum instead of bourbon or rye. 

I was going to mention this. One of my favorites also. I usually don't drink Old Fashions unless I'm on a cruise. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I always see threads asking about what you can fir in under the limit on the "Classic" drink package.  This one goes in the other direction.

I am not a big drinker.  I drink fairly rarely at home. Maybe a drink here or there when out to dinner with others and everyone's drinking or when I'm at a wedding or such.  I typically am driving, so I self-limit what I drink.  And I've never been a "brand snob"...I'm generally content with whatever well liquor they serve.  I'll drink on occasion at home--typically Jack Daniels or a decent Anejo Tequila, sometimes a good Reposado.

But, on a cruise, I figure I'm not driving...and the atmosphere is such that I'll drink a little more than usual.  But, typically, I'd drink during the Elite Lounge hours--and be happy with Jim Beam and Diet Coke--though even  can recognize Jim Beam is far from top shelf--but if mixing it with soda, it matters little...maybe buying a drink later at the show.  If a mixed cocktail, it would typically be a generic Long Island or Margarita.   When I have a classic drink package, I still end up ordering a lot of generic well drinks...I am generally fine with that.  It used to be that you could get a Bailey's Irish Cream as a nightcap...but even that is now above the classic package...

BUT, for my upcoming Apex cruises, I have the Premium package...and it occurred to me that U should really take advantage of it and "up" my drinking game.  But, not really being a drinker, it occurred to me that I don't really have any great ideas on what to order...

So, I need a little advice from the serious drinkers out there.  What should I drink?  If I want a bourbon or scotch, which bourbons or scotches are on the list for the Premium package that you would recommend...1) assuming drinking it straight or 2) what would you call for if mixing it...that wouldn't be an insult to the brand? 

How about liqueurs?  Any you would recommend my sampling considering the choice?

And special cocktails or blended drinks I should try in the Retreat or at any of the bars around the ship?

And, Tequila...They only had cheap Blanco on the Classic package...but, IIRC, though they add some modest Reposados on Premium, no Anejo, right?

Now that they've taken away the Israeli ports and we're just repeating every port twice, I figure I'll be spending more time on the ship...and, with the mask rules saying you have to wear a mask unless you're drinking, it sounds like I have added incentive to be drinking...Now I just have to figure out what to drink.

Thanks for any and all recommendations...

😁   🚢   🍹   🧉

The beauty of the premium package is you can try anything and everything you want.  If you don't like, try something new and different until you find what suits your taste, ENJOY!!

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Meaningless trivia, band names, song titles,etc. but not enough to ever win or probably get on Jeopardy. Unless they had categories like classic rock, the Space Race, potent potables, etc.  But I’d  get stuck with renaissance art, 13th century opera, or maybe Italian composers (answer Puccini until it’s right…). 

Booze is just fun. Wine is even more fun, but  who knows what they’ll have onboard. Almost certainly nothing I’d bu ashore. 

I so hope we find a cruise on which we'll meet.  BTW if you like sipping Canadian whiskey, my Total Wine guy turned me on to Ellington Reserve.  Aged twice as long as Crown for a few $$ less.  A bit more smokey but a very nice finish.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

This.

Their wine distributor is really different than what we see. They have an arrangement with certain companies - primarily Caymus. I developed a taste for Mer Soleil, and I'm not a big CA chardonnay person. They also should have the Caymus Malbec, don't recall the exact name, but it's good.

Never know exactly what they will have - ask for wine list.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ORV said:

I was going to mention this. One of my favorites also. I usually don't drink Old Fashions unless I'm on a cruise. 

My husband loves that one, makes it at home now too. We kept the World Bar open on our TA in 2018.

5 hours ago, markeb said:

Some suggestions…

Sounds like you’re into basics. Which is great. So let’s start with whisk(e)y and go from there. 

Celebrity has a very limited number of bourbons, but Makers and Woodford are both nice. Suggestion: Get a neat pour and a side of ice. And a glass of water. Try them neat, but there’s no crime In adding a small ice cube. If you order on the rocks, odds are it will be all ice. After the second pour, you want taste a difference for awhile…

Scotch. Better selection. Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are the entry drugs into Single Malt. Same recommendation as for bourbon. Most single malt drinkers will drink them neat. A full rocks pour will dilute fast, but if they seem too “hot” to you, add a bit of ice at your own pace. Macallan is sort of a step up from Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, so try it sometime on the cruise. Macallan is usually priced higher than the others, so it’s a good deal on the package. 

Tequila selection. Meh.

Rum: Flor Cana and Zacapa 23 are both excellent. Neat or a little ice. 

The premium package gives you some excellent gins. Try a good dry martini with Hendricks or Tanqueray 10. Have a Negroni from a good gin. 

I’ve usually found at least one bar on the ship with an old school bartender. .if you find them when they’re not swamped, they’ll take care of you. 

We loved the Zacapa Old Fashioned, too!

Yes!  I agree if you have the Premium Drink Package why not try drinks that you have never had before. We’ve had the premium package a couple times on past cruises.

I am totally content with the Classic but can up my game with premium and will drink high end vodkas and many different cocktails I would normally not drink at home. My DW loves martinis so premium is a no brainer for her. You may want to hit the Martini Bar and try the many different martinis they make which you can get with the Premium Package. I too over indulge on a cruise. Heck I’m not driving only walking…checkout some of the drink menus on CC at the different bars. May find some you like..

Enjoy!!

2 hours ago, cangelmd said:

My husband loves that one, makes it at home now too. We kept the World Bar open on our TA in 2018.

I made it a habit of having at least one Zacapa Under the Clouds at the World Bar every cruise.  The hard part was remembering when it was open. 

5 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Makers Mark Double Oaked with a splash of ginger ale with dinner

Just to keep the OP from getting confused, Woodford Reserve does the Double Oak. Makers 46 and its variations are sort of like Double Oak, the bourbon is finished in casks with a blend of barrel staves inserted to finish the bourbon. But I don’t see Makers 46 on any package lists. If it’s on the ships, it’s an up charge (that I’d recommend for $3-5 or so). 

3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

This.

Their wine distributor is really different than what we see. They have an arrangement with certain companies - primarily Caymus. I developed a taste for Mer Soleil, and I'm not a big CA chardonnay person. They also should have the Caymus Malbec, don't recall the exact name, but it's good.

Never know exactly what they will have - ask for wine list.

It looks like a lot of their wines are from the Wagners. Several are Wagner Family, like Caymus and Mer Soleil. Others are from the portfolios of one of the children, like Belle Gloss, Meiomi, and Quilt if the have it on the ship. 

A handful of parent companies own most wineries in the US. Wagner and Constellation are probably the biggest. Ste Michelle Estate Wines is the parent of Chateau Ste Michelle in Washington, but owns a number of Napa wineries. A company the size of Celebrity needs the big boys for wine. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Just to keep the OP from getting confused, Woodford Reserve does the Double Oak. Makers 46 and its variations are sort of like Double Oak, the bourbon is finished in casks with a blend of barrel staves inserted to finish the bourbon. But I don’t see Makers 46 on any package lists. If it’s on the ships, it’s an up charge (that I’d recommend for $3-5 or so). 

You are correct.   My bad. 

15 hours ago, Heather1972 said:

Is that a chocolate martini? If so, that’s the ONLY drink I pay extra for on another cruise line, but it’s worth every penny! 

This one is deadlly!

Triple Expresso Vodka

Kahula

Baileys

Expresso

20 hours ago, marieps said:

Try an Aspen Coffee from Al Baccio as a nightcap.  Bailey's, Kaluha and Frangelico.  Yum.  My choice at the Martini bar is either Pomegranate Martini or Belvedere chilled with an onion.

I second the aspen coffee….but we usually enjoy it as a dessert in the main dinning room. Whip cream on top and it’s perfect after a nice meal . Enjoy!

14 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Thank you all for the recommendations...I'll probably make myself a few notes to take with me.  The idea for me is I have a pattern to what I order if I have no drink package or the "classic" package...but it would be a shame to waste having the Premium package by ordering from my normal pattern...Yes, a good time to try out a lot of different stuff.

As to the bartenders being busy, I think I've got an advantageous situation there as well...First, based on current reports and the apparent state of bookings, this ship is likely to be at least half-empty...which should help with access to bars and bartenders...Second, we are in a Sky Suite for these cruises, so we will have the "Retreat"--which I suspect may have superior service to begin with...

Now I just want to get there already...We depart in about 19 days!!!

Hi Steve, I am currently on the Edge with the premium package , we also booked the sky suite then did a move up to the penthouse. Celebrity has great suite perks, best is Luminae which is totally great , I do find it a little noisier than the older ships but quality of food is still great. Love the retreat small pool and hot tub, nice chairs never any problem finding a chair. Also nice bar and there are a few lunch options there also.

As for the drink package, great thing is try anything if you don’t like it, just order something else , we do drink lots of scotch, the better single malts like Macallen I tend to drink neat, occasionally will add ice. Some people prefer the single malts, I also like the blends like Johnny Walker Black or Chevis regal , you might want to try’s scotch with some club soda also. Premium package covers 98 percent of what is offered , you could go higher on some wines like Caymus, best Cabernet in the premium decoy which is fairly good. Remember you can also bring two bottles of wine we brought Stags Leap Artemis , bad thing if you drink it in dinning room they charge a 25 dollar corkage fee. Experiment try lots of different things.

19 hours ago, cangelmd said:

This.

Their wine distributor is really different than what we see. ...

[OP, please forgive us for going on a little tangent here.]

Good day, "cangelmd."

We noticed that your post (quoted above) starts with a sort of one-word sentence: "This."

We have never seen or heard that expression used before (in seven decades of life)!

Is that expression short for, "This is true; we agree with you" ?

If so, do you happen to know when/where people began to say simply, "This" ?  In other words, is it a U.S. regionalism, a colloquialism that was begun in "social media," an expression from a different anglophone nation, or something else entirely?  The reason we ask is that we have had a lifetime interest [putting it mildly] in language, having studied to teach young people languages.

Thank you.