Quarantine in UK prior to getting on September cruise on the Regal Princess out of Southampton

gvre

On 7/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, matamanoa said:

I e-mailed a friend of mine who lives in Essex and she works in the medical related field.  She is a paramedic and also a nurse practioner who is allowed to give jabs.  She said that there would be no lifting of restrictions over the next few months for those from red listed countries but she expected an announcement in the next few days for people from amber listed countries who have had two shots of vaccine and a negative PCR test.  They would be exempt from quarantining. 

I hope so. Total payment due August 1st.  I talked to Princess and there is no full refund 30 days prior to sailing.. Seems they would give us US passangers some lee way. if we have to quarantine for 10 days prior to sailing.

On 7/8/2021 at 3:18 PM, matamanoa said:

I e-mailed a friend of mine who lives in Essex and she works in the medical related field.  She is a paramedic and also a nurse practioner who is allowed to give jabs.  She said that there would be no lifting of restrictions over the next few months for those from red listed countries but she expected an announcement in the next few days for people from amber listed countries who have had two shots of vaccine and a negative PCR test.  They would be exempt from quarantining. 

Any insight in how that pertains to kids under 12 who aren't eligible for vaccination yet? I know no one can know for sure, but wondering if UK is giving more leeway to those that aren't vaccinated because they CAN'T be rather than because they don't want to be? As of right now, Canada is still requiring quarantine for kids entering the country...sigh.

8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

Any insight in how that pertains to kids under 12 who aren't eligible for vaccination yet? I know no one can know for sure, but wondering if UK is giving more leeway to those that aren't vaccinated because they CAN'T be rather than because they don't want to be? As of right now, Canada is still requiring quarantine for kids entering the country...sigh.

I'll ask and let you know.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 1:41 PM, oskidunker said:

I am on the Princess oct 23 sailing. Hoping things changed. Scheduled to be in England by the 20 th. Currently even if a country is green  you need to take a test three days before you leave and two days after you arrive. When in transit to different hotels, it will be hard to take-a test and get the result sent to where you might be. What a mess. I also have a Cunard cruise booked Nov 1. The way they are going, that looks doubtful. I may be on your Nov 3 cruise. 

I am conducting research for testing to re enter the US from Ireland.  I have looked at several testing sites and types of tests offered in Ireland.  We also are moving between two cities, Dublin and Cork. We return to Dublin the day before we fly home after spending several days in Cork.  We have decided to have the PCR test in Cork early Sunday Morning (before a tour) as our return flight is Tuesday.  From what I can determine, from all the sites I researched, PCR test results are emailed to you.  We are using Randox Lab, a company operating in  both the U.K. and Ireland. They do have testing near/at Heathrow.  

Before we leave the US we will have testing done here, even through we are vaccinated.  I see you are from the Bay Area.  Not sure what type of healthcare insurance you have,  but if you are with Kaiser,  the HMO has a travel department. We meet with the RN this morning, (Video visit).  We are thinking she can time the prep departure test from the US  test and offer further advice.   I could report back if this would be of interest. Good luck. 

It appears you can get a test by them at this address. 

Radisson Blu Edwardian Heathrow ACCESS via MAIN CAR PARK (REAR OF HOTEL) 140 Bath Road, Harlington, UB3 5AW  

i am staying at the Sheraton which is very close .3km. I suppose you could walk over but not sure 

Our test is also at a hotel meeting room in Cork.  I chose this company as it is evidently a well established testing company.   They test for other things.   The price is very good and I could get a Sunday morning appointment. I would ask at the hotel how to get to the testing site.  At least this could be a back up plan for now.  But I wouldn’t buy the test just yet. 

On our travel RN appointment this morning, CoVID testing  before leaving the US was discussed, but she  did note that as of July 19, would not be required for vaccinated US citizens entering Ireland.  Also testing to return to the US was discussed.  It was informative.  She also discussed other concerns besides CoVID specific to Ireland. So worth doing.  

1 hour ago, milolii said:

Our test is also at a hotel meeting room in Cork.  I chose this company as it is evidently a well established testing company.   They test for other things.   The price is very good and I could get a Sunday morning appointment. I would ask at the hotel how to get to the testing site.  At least this could be a back up plan for now.  But I wouldn’t buy the test just yet. 

On our travel RN appointment this morning, CoVID testing  before leaving the US was discussed, but she  did note that as of July 19, would not be required for vaccinated US citizens entering Ireland.  Also testing to return to the US was discussed.  It was informative.  She also discussed other concerns besides CoVID specific to Ireland. So worth doing.  

Is that for Southern Ireland as different country than Northern Ireland and is not part of the UK and has different covid rules than UK.

The company (Randox) that  oskidunker  and I were discussing has a presence in both the U.K. and Ireland, I believe.  I was replying to oskidunker’s  previous post, #31.   We were discussing where you could get a test, not the requirements in this exchange.   I noted that our test was also at a hotel.  Apologies if it was was confusing.  Oskidunker is looking for solutions in the U.K.  Are you familiar with the company?   Any thoughts? 

49 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Is that for Southern Ireland as different country than Northern Ireland and is not part of the UK and has different covid rules than UK.

We, sadly had to alter our vaccination and not travel to the U.K. this year because of the requirements.  But hopeful for a 2022 visit.

On 7/8/2021 at 5:58 AM, tert333 said:

The announcement came out from the UK government today and UK citizens can travel to "Amber" countries(eg Canada, US) without having to do the 10 day quarantine before returning.  However, speaking for Canada, UK citizens still can not come into the country.   This change will take place July 19.

In regards to Canadian/Americans wanting to go to the UK, there are no changes to the rules.  So we are still in a wait and see whether we will be able to go.

Unless, the COVID case counts plateau in the uk, I am very doubtful they will allow us in.

I am going to pay my final payment, knowing that I can get a FCC if I can.  I have booked another cruise in 2022 that I can apply it against.   Also remember, if you book a flexible flight through Ezair, you can cancel up to 45 days and get a full refund on the flight.

I hope we can go in September, but I think it is 50/50....

Be careful. The cruise may sail even if US passengers decide not to go due to the quarantine. There may be no fcc. 

On 7/13/2021 at 8:52 AM, matamanoa said:

I'll ask and let you know.

I contacted my friend again and she really didn't have an exact answer as rules are constantly changing.  She took her information off of the internet and it was still stating that the UK was unsure whether unvaxxed children would still have to quarantine.  So I'm afraid it's not much of an answer and not much help to you at this point.  I wish I could have a better answer for you but you are as much in the dark as the rest of us at this time.  If only we all had a crystal ball!

Barb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matamanoa said:

I contacted my friend again and she really didn't have an exact answer as rules are constantly changing.  She took her information off of the internet and it was still stating that the UK was unsure whether unvaxxed children would still have to quarantine.  So I'm afraid it's not much of an answer and not much help to you at this point.  I wish I could have a better answer for you but you are as much in the dark as the rest of us at this time.  If only we all had a crystal ball!

Barb

Thanks for asking! Appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Our final payment is due August 1st and looks like we will not be able to come to the UK on September 23rd unless we quarantine for 10 days even though we are fully vaccinated

Also the cruise goes to France but it looks like anyone who travels there and returns to UK must quarantine?

Any Brits have an opinion if they will lift the quarantine for fully vaccinated US citizens coming to UK soon?

Thanks

4 hours ago, gvre said:

Our final payment is due August 1st and looks like we will not be able to come to the UK on September 23rd unless we quarantine for 10 days even though we are fully vaccinated

Also the cruise goes to France but it looks like anyone who travels there and returns to UK must quarantine?

Any Brits have an opinion if they will lift the quarantine for fully vaccinated US citizens coming to UK soon?

Thanks

I'm a Brit, and our travel policy is a shambles, changing on a weekly basis, with no rhyme or reason. The holiday companies are tearing their hair out.

No one can tell what the policy will be next week, let alone in September. 

Do you have a "package " with flights, hotels and cruise all included, or have you booked everything independently? And what does your insurance policy say about Covid cancellations?

Personally,  I would not pay anything more at this stage.

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm a Brit, and our travel policy is a shambles, changing on a weekly basis, with no rhyme or reason. The holiday companies are tearing their hair out.

No one can tell what the policy will be next week, let alone in September. 

Do you have a "package " with flights, hotels and cruise all included, or have you booked everything independently? And what does your insurance policy say about Covid cancellations?

Personally,  I would not pay anything more at this stage.

I booked it all independently...I figured it was big mess in the UK. The only way I can get any news on the restrictions is through the Daily Mail UK site

I think we will cancel

Guest Snaxmuppet
9 hours ago, gvre said:

The only way I can get any news on the restrictions is through the Daily Mail UK site

I wouldn't place too much reliance on anything you read in the Daily Mail. It isn't the best example of good journalism and it is a supporter of many of the conspiracy theories.

14 hours ago, gvre said:

Thanks

I am due to sail on the Regal Princess , 30 September 2021 from Southampton and will probably cancel next week before final payment.

I don’t think the France issue will be resolved before final payment date, although I suspect it will be before the ship sails.

The plan to allow vaccinated people from abroad into the U.K. without having to quarantine is due to be announced soon. Reciprocal arrangements will take time to implement, particularly for the US. The EU is close to introducing a unified digital vaccine passport scheme, so they will probably be first.

I have noticed that there are many more cabins available on this cruise than last week which suggests people are cancelling.

Sorry I can’t be more positive.

32 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I wouldn't place too much reliance on anything you read in the Daily Mail. It isn't the best example of good journalism and it is a supporter of many of the conspiracy theories.

9 hours ago, gvre said:

I booked it all independently...I figured it was big mess in the UK. The only way I can get any news on the restrictions is through the Daily Mail UK site

I think we will cancel

Quite funny that people outside of the UK would read the “Daily Fail!”and think it could be accurate. Although to be honest that could be said of most news papers.  

in the UK we do not know what the situation will be, and as a nation divided on what we think or would like to happen.  Therefore it is impossible to answer questions about September, it would just be worthless speculation. 

Personally, we are still in the midst of a pandemic, I would like to feel safe in my own country and see us able to live a day to day life with less restrictions.  The onus is us being responsible for our own actions and helping to limit the spread of disease.  Whilst no longer law, I choose to wear a mask in the company of those outside my household.  I continue to complete an LFT twice a week, and always before visiting vulnerable relatives.

I, and many I know are against international travel for recreation purposes.  Supportive of the quarantine and testing requirements for those making essential trips. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

,I and many I know are against international travel for recreation purposes.  

Personally, I see no reason why double vaccinated persons should not travel for recreational purposes,  although I would agree with travel limitations to and from countries with high levels of infection. 

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Personally, I see no reason why double vaccinated persons should not travel for recreational purposes,  although I would agree with travel limitations to and from countries with high levels of infection. 

The trouble is it is well proven that even if double jabbed you can still catch Covid and you can still spread it to others. There are rumours, but only rumours, that the restrictions on returning to the UK from France might be dropped next week.

39 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

The trouble is it is well proven that even if double jabbed you can still catch Covid and you can still spread it to others. There are rumours, but only rumours, that the restrictions on returning to the UK from France might be dropped next week.

Absolutely - but why stop people visiting countries with lower infection rates than the UK ? You can spread Covid if you are in Manchester or Lisbon - the geographic location is irrelevant.