Quarantine in UK prior to getting on September cruise on the Regal Princess out of Southampton

gvre

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Absolutely - but why stop people visiting countries with lower infection rates than the UK ? You can spread Covid if you are in Manchester or Lisbon - the geographic location is irrelevant. 

Whilst what you say is very true but where UK tourists visit is not just down to the UK government if the visiting country has restrictions then tourist and cruise companies have to abide by them.

6 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I wouldn't place too much reliance on anything you read in the Daily Mail. It isn't the best example of good journalism and it is a supporter of many of the conspiracy theories.

Thanks for the advice.

We have cancelled this cruise our 7th since the pandemic started and booked an Alaskan cruise for August

We will miss being in the UK as we planned to be in London 4 days spending lots of dollars around the city.

Also I guess I will have to get a new source for gossip about Harry and Magen as it seems the Daily Mail is not a reliable source.

• Like 2

The UK has rules for “transiting”. I am assuming we can “transit” from border Control at Heathrow, to border control at the port in Southampton. Not sure if we can enter the UK one day in advance which is what we’d like to do for our November 3 sailing. Always a crap shoot to fly in on the day of the cruise. Or, am I interpreting this “transit “ rule incorrectly?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-air-travel-guidance-for-passengers#transiting-through-england

2 hours ago, Margarita Jane said:

The UK has rules for “transiting”. I am assuming we can “transit” from border Control at Heathrow, to border control at the port in Southampton. Not sure if we can enter the UK one day in advance which is what we’d like to do for our November 3 sailing. Always a crap shoot to fly in on the day of the cruise. Or, am I interpreting this “transit “ rule incorrectly?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-air-travel-guidance-for-passengers#transiting-through-england

I can't make sense of what this actually means by "transit"

We were planning 5 days in London/Southampton so it won't work.

Anyway we have canceled and booked the Alaskan Cruise on the Majesctic Princess next month. No problems.

I feel bad for the Brits who having a hard time dealing with all of this. I was spending a couple of thousand just for staying at the Landmark Hotel in London

Edited by gvre

2 hours ago, Margarita Jane said:

The document is very clear what transiting means. It is transferring from one aircraft to another at the airport.

21 hours ago, gvre said:

I booked it all independently...I figured it was big mess in the UK. The only way I can get any news on the restrictions is through the Daily Mail UK site

I think we will cancel

The Daily Mail has never been known as a source of verifiable information.

1 minute ago, brisalta said:

The Daily Mail has never been known as a source of verifiable information.

3 minutes ago, brisalta said:

The document is very clear what transiting means. It is transferring from one aircraft to another at the airport.

Yeah thats what I figured within the airport only not let you loose to wander through the country side.

This UK document has changed …. Previously it read that you could transit to another border control. What if you fly into Heathrow and fly out of Gatwick?

Still does not specifically say you have to pass through border control at the same place:

• ‘landside’ - you do pass through UK border control, but come back through it and leave the UK within a short amount of time (usually 24 hours)

Edited by Margarita Jane
Clarification

15 hours ago, gvre said:

Thanks for the advice.

We have cancelled this cruise our 7th since the pandemic started and booked an Alaskan cruise for August

We will miss being in the UK as we planned to be in London 4 days spending lots of dollars around the city.

Also I guess I will have to get a new source for gossip about Harry and Magen as it seems the Daily Mail is not a reliable source.

Unfortunately the US will not allow Brits in for a holiday. We planned to visit and spend lots of $$ too, but we will now be spending ££'s in our own country. Whatever we get up to, we shall certainly raise a glass (or 2) to friends and family across the Pond and hope to see them all soon. Have fun whatever you decide to do.

4 hours ago, john1970 said:

The IATA travel centre can often be helpful when trying to work out travel regulations. It is usually good with transit visa requirements. It is geared for air travel only.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/

Well thats sucks..I canceled yesterday. Oh well we are coming back for the Island Princess cruise September 2022

18 hours ago, brisalta said:

I beg to differ.

"

There are 2 types of transiting:

• ‘airside’ - you do not pass through UK border control before you leave on your connecting journey
  • ‘landside’ - you do pass through UK border control, but come back through it and leave the UK within a short amount of time (usually 24 hours)

22 hours ago, wowzz said:

Looks like Americans will be able to enter the UK soon. Unfortunately the US government won't allow them to leave the US!

US has no restrictions on leaving the country.

5 minutes ago, caribill said:

US has no restrictions on leaving the country.

Sorry, my mistake.

However,  given the US givernment advice, I assume any Americans travelling to the UK would no longer have valid travel insurance,  as they would be travelling against  government advice. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-cdc-raises-covid-warning-travelers-united-kingdom-2021-07-19/

As a matter of interest, there are reports in the UK media today, that there is official resistance in some quarters to allowing vaccinated US visitors onto the UK, because of a lack of  robust US vaccination documentation.  The potential for forgery is seen as being significant, with many Americans only having basic paper "certificates". 

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

This is good news and a step in the right direction but it will still be a bit of a risk if someone is travelling here for a cruise. You will still have to get a PCR test done before day 2 after arrival and if that is +ve then your cruise will be off and you would then have to self-isolate. May be you can get insurance to cover that (I think staysure might for UK residents) but it is a lot to risk without excellent travel insurance. 

18 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

Looks like anyone coming to England for a cruise,  will need to ensure they arrive at least two days  before the ship leaves, to ensure they can take the second test.

A positive test, as just mentioned, would have major financial consequences  - would the subsequent costs, plus the  cost  of the missed  cruise be paid by travel insurance, if the US government advice against foreign travel was still in force?

Wouldn’t visitors from the USA need some official proof of vaccine.  I’m not following the latest on these stories, but from a while back I thought a number of states weren’t willing to adopt/develop official vaccine documents suitable for travel.

I’m curious how this would work, it seems to me, we can say we’re open, but if you don’t have the correct documentation that means nothing.  

9 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

Wouldn’t visitors from the USA need some official proof of vaccine.  I’m not following the latest on these stories, but from a while back I thought a number of states weren’t willing to adopt/develop official vaccine documents suitable for travel.

I’m curious how this would work, it seems to me, we can say we’re open, but if you don’t have the correct documentation that means nothing.  

We all have the same paper card from the CDC. That's what we use for all travel that is open. Some states have created other options as well for digital but the majority of travelers will just have the paper card which is the "Official" Vax Proof

Edited by Jadn13

3 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

We all have the same paper card from the CDC. That's what we use for all travel that is open. Some states have created other options as well for digital but the majority of travelers will just have the paper card which is the "Official" Vax Proof

Thanks for that, I will google the CDC card, it’s just in the UK we were issued cards with details of our vaccines, but these aren’t acceptable as proof for travel.

I did read pax on majestic boarded with cards, we can’t do that with the Princess Summer sailings.  We need official (more secure) proof. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

Looks like anyone coming to England for a cruise,  will need to ensure they arrive at least two days  before the ship leaves, to ensure they can take the second test.

A positive test, as just mentioned, would have major financial consequences  - would the subsequent costs, plus the  cost  of the missed  cruise be paid by travel insurance, if the US government advice against foreign travel was still in force?

The requirements we changed this morning, so look again.

50 minutes ago, cjpj said:

The requirements we changed this morning, so look again.

Yes, Ive looked,  and Americans will need to be tested within two days of arrival in the UK.

Your point is........?

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, Ive looked,  and Americans will need to be tested within two days of arrival in the UK.

Your point is........?

My bad... you are correct 2 day test still required. Just no quarantine.  From BBC "Travellers will still need to take either a lateral flow or PCR test pre-departure and a PCR test on the second day after they arrive".