Canadians Looking to Sail With Princess...Check The FAQs!

ceilidh1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

We’re booked for May 2022 and I hope this has changed by then.  We had AZ as dose one and Moderna as dose two and we had no choice.  However, we have been assured that we are considered totally vaccinated.  Some restrictions just make absolutely no sense.

Not sure why you say didn't have a choice in ON.  I didn't question the poster from NL as I am not familiar there, but we certainly had choices in ON.  You just had to check what a location was offering.  We knew we wanted mRNA and got Pfizer where we went.  When booking second shot, Pfizer was offered as that is what we had first shot.  I know Canada considers you fully vaccinated, but does the rest of the world?  Have heard there might be third shots later on for folks in your position.

Edited by Steelers36

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sure why you say didn't have a choice in ON.  I didn't question the poster from NL as I am not familiar there, but we certainly had choices in ON.  You just had to check what a location was offering.  We knew we wanted mNRA and got Pfizer where we went.  When booking second shot, Pfizer was offered as that is what we had first shot.  I know Canada considers you fully vaccinated, but does the rest of the world?  Have heard there might be third shots later on for folks in your position.

Not sure about other provinces, but I can tell you how BC handled it (I work at the vaccination centre that, ironically, is located in the cruise terminal).

First dose roll out was initially by age only - NO choice between Pfizer or Moderna...get what you get and don't get upset.

After a few weeks, essential workers were added into first dose roll out - Covishield or Astra Zeneca initially. Again, no choice. Right around the same time, Astra Zeneca was paused for use in Canada and those essential workers were moved to Pfizer/Moderna.

When Astra Zeneca was re-approved for use in certain age groups, there was a HUGE push by our government, health minister, and PHO to go get Astra Zeneca if you were eligible for it. This vaccine was given through pharmacies, rather than the vaccination centres, so was faster and easier to get - MANY BC'ers in the age group opted to get it.

For second doses, if you received Pfizer or Moderna, you would get Pfizer or Moderna (no choice - get what you get - but my clinic does have both on hand most of the time and tries hard to match first dose. No guarantee, though)

Those that got Astra Zeneca as dose 1 now had to make a choice - get the same vaccine for dose 2, even though it had been linked to blood clots and deemed less effective, or choose Pfizer/Moderna, even though there was no REAL data that this was ok/effective. At no time (that I'm aware of) was it explained that mixing of doses might impact ability to travel or not be recognised as fully vaccinated. I really feel that Canada (and BC in particular) have been making up the rules as we go with these vaccines. I was fortunate to get double Moderna (right place at the right time...) but most of my friends that are my age have the AZ/Moderna/Pfizer mix....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

This is where it is important to check cruiseline specific policies...it seems Pfizer/Moderna mix is fine for Princess, but not NCL:

Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com)

What vaccines will be accepted?

Passengers on ships embarking or disembarking at US ports need to be vaccinated with FDA approved vaccines. Mixed Pfizer / Moderna double vaccine shots are not approved by the FDA.

All Other Vessels will accept any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol. Or a mixed vaccination protocol of only Astraseneca-SK Bio, Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna combinations.

Well that's interesting.  I'll keep that in mind.  

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not sure why you say didn't have a choice in ON.  I didn't question the poster from NL as I am not familiar there, but we certainly had choices in ON.  You just had to check what a location was offering.  We knew we wanted mRNA and got Pfizer where we went.  When booking second shot, Pfizer was offered as that is what we had first shot.  I know Canada considers you fully vaccinated, but does the rest of the world?  Have heard there might be third shots later on for folks in your position.

We did not have a choice.  We live two and one half hours north west of Toronto (Thornbury) and not one single clinic within a two hour drive was offering anything other than what we got…..both doses.  It was either take it or drive to Toronto……a hard “no thank you” and at no time we’re we informed that there was a issue getting mixed vaccines. Our first dose in April, all that was available in our area of Grey Bruce was AZ.   Our second dose of Moderna was last week and that was all that was available.  If we have to have a third dose, so be it.  We just wanted to make sure we were vaccinated.  If the rest of the world has an issue with our vaccinations, then I guess we have to live with that, but please do not tell us we could go “shopping” for vaccines where we live in Ontario.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Not sure about other provinces, but I can tell you how BC handled it (I work at the vaccination centre that, ironically, is located in the cruise terminal).

First dose roll out was initially by age only - NO choice between Pfizer or Moderna...get what you get and don't get upset.

After a few weeks, essential workers were added into first dose roll out - Covishield or Astra Zeneca initially. Again, no choice. Right around the same time, Astra Zeneca was paused for use in Canada and those essential workers were moved to Pfizer/Moderna.

When Astra Zeneca was re-approved for use in certain age groups, there was a HUGE push by our government, health minister, and PHO to go get Astra Zeneca if you were eligible for it. This vaccine was given through pharmacies, rather than the vaccination centres, so was faster and easier to get - MANY BC'ers in the age group opted to get it.

For second doses, if you received Pfizer or Moderna, you would get Pfizer or Moderna (no choice - get what you get - but my clinic does have both on hand most of the time and tries hard to match first dose. No guarantee, though)

Those that got Astra Zeneca as dose 1 now had to make a choice - get the same vaccine for dose 2, even though it had been linked to blood clots and deemed less effective, or choose Pfizer/Moderna, even though there was no REAL data that this was ok/effective. At no time (that I'm aware of) was it explained that mixing of doses might impact ability to travel or not be recognised as fully vaccinated. I really feel that Canada (and BC in particular) have been making up the rules as we go with these vaccines. I was fortunate to get double Moderna (right place at the right time...) but most of my friends that are my age have the AZ/Moderna/Pfizer mix....

Thank you!  Some folks think that everyone had the ability to pick and choose their vaccines like apples.  Maybe where they live, but most of us did not have this luxury.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lady Arwen said:

We did not have a choice.  We live two and one half hours north west of Toronto (Thornbury) and not one single clinic within a two hour drive was offering anything other than what we got…..both doses.  It was either take it or drive to Toronto……a hard “no thank you” and at no time we’re we informed that there was a issue getting mixed vaccines. Our first dose in April, all that was available in our area of Grey Bruce was AZ.   Our second dose of Moderna was last week and that was all that was available.  If we have to have a third dose, so be it.  We just wanted to make sure we were vaccinated.  If the rest of the world has an issue with our vaccinations, then I guess we have to live with that, but please do not tell us we could go “shopping” for vaccines where we live in Ontario.  

I see.  I just went by your "Toronto" location in profile.  Yes, I have read that some more remote areas did not have all choices initially.  I also know that SDM originally had only AZ, but more recently they have added mRNA.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for opportunity to get a third dose - another mRNA Moderna.  I know the government line was "get whatever is available to you" and people did.  But we had to think about what that meant in the broader international sense and Canada seemed to be an outlier with what was going on.  

Would have been fine with Pfizer or Moderna for #1, but the hospital we went to was doing the Pfizer so fine.  At first, and I think since as well, there was more Pfizer available once it started flowing in.  

We had a booking for Pfizer as second shot since that was how they were booking at the time - same second as first.  Our appt happened to fall when there was a temporary slack in the Pfizer deliveries and it was going to cause a shift to Moderna.  Went online shopping and found a SDM with Pfizer and we went next morning early and lined up with a bunch of other people to get one of the fifty remaining shots.  We were lucky I would say. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I see.  I just went by your "Toronto" location in profile.  Yes, I have read that some more remote areas did not have all choices initially.  I also know that SDM originally had only AZ, but more recently they have added mRNA.  If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for opportunity to get a third dose - another mRNA Moderna.  I know the government line was "get whatever is available to you" and people did.  But we had to think about what that meant in the broader international sense and Canada seemed to be an outlier with what was going on.  

Would have been fine with Pfizer or Moderna for #1, but the hospital we went to was doing the Pfizer so fine.  At first, and I think since as well, there was more Pfizer available once it started flowing in.  

We had a booking for Pfizer as second shot since that was how they were booking at the time - same second as first.  Our appt happened to fall when there was a temporary slack in the Pfizer deliveries and it was going to cause a shift to Moderna.  Went online shopping and found a SDM with Pfizer and we went next morning early and lined up with a bunch of other people to get one of the fifty remaining shots.  We were lucky I would say. 

Lucky indeed!  Since we are not cruising with Princess until May 2022, we won’t get too concerned, yet.  We have a Celebrity cruise also booked in 2022, and this restriction is not part of their conditions to sail.  Hopefully, this too will pass.

• Like 2

Boy I hope this changes. We have Canadian friends that are cruising with us in November. They have the mixed doses. This would suck if they can't travel! Hope there is a solution somewhere!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am in the same position with a mix of AZ and Pfizer.   Where have you heard there may be third shots?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tert333 said:

I am in the same position with a mix of AZ and Pfizer.   Where have you heard there may be third shots?

It has been speculated in the MSM, but I think Canadian health officials have down-played it so far (don't think there is much traction on a third dose as yet).  They have wanted people to take/get what's available, so they have been not very critical of anything, calling them all good.  That said, AZ was pulled a couple of times and then put back on.  Ultimately it was discouraged from use I believe - at least as the second dose.  Also speculated is a booster requirement down the road.  

AZ was looking not-so-great out of the gate and certainly had its issues.  It may become more widely accepted to have AZ + mRNA outside Canada.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

Maybe Princess needs to review its policy. In its guidance (quoted below), the WHO says that a mix and match regime of first AZ followed by an mRNA is acceptable and considered as a full vaccination (I added the emphasis):

"It is currently recommended that the same product should be used for both doses. If different COVID-19 vaccine products are inadvertently administered in the two doses, no additional doses of either vaccine are recommended at this time.  Heterologous (mixand-match) studies are ongoing with regards to the interchangeability of this (Pfizer) vaccine with other COVID-19 vaccines. Preliminary results from a heterologous priming schedule where BNT162b2 was given as the second dose following a first dose of ChAdOx1- S [recombinant] vaccine showed a slightly increased but acceptable reactogenicity with superior or similar immunogenicity results, thus supporting the use of such a heterologous priming schedule in settings where the second dose for the ChAdOx1-S [recombinant] vaccine is not available due to vaccine supply constraints or other concerns (17, 18)"

Since Princess says it will accept vaccines approved by the FDA or the WHO then perhaps they need to look more closely at the WHO guidance.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ringers0815 said:

Maybe Princess needs to review its policy. In its guidance (quoted below), the WHO says that a mix and match regime of first AZ followed by an mRNA is acceptable and considered as a full vaccination (I added the emphasis):

"It is currently recommended that the same product should be used for both doses. If different COVID-19 vaccine products are inadvertently administered in the two doses, no additional doses of either vaccine are recommended at this time.  Heterologous (mixand-match) studies are ongoing with regards to the interchangeability of this (Pfizer) vaccine with other COVID-19 vaccines. Preliminary results from a heterologous priming schedule where BNT162b2 was given as the second dose following a first dose of ChAdOx1- S [recombinant] vaccine showed a slightly increased but acceptable reactogenicity with superior or similar immunogenicity results, thus supporting the use of such a heterologous priming schedule in settings where the second dose for the ChAdOx1-S [recombinant] vaccine is not available due to vaccine supply constraints or other concerns (17, 18)"

Since Princess says it will accept vaccines approved by the FDA or the WHO then perhaps they need to look more closely at the WHO guidance.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.  I'd trust the FDA over WHO to indicate whether a mixed dosage is good or not.  Things are always changing with the Covid-19 vaxes, so attitudes on the mixing may change.  Meanwhile, Canada seems the prominent outlier in this regard.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.  I'd trust the FDA over WHO to indicate whether a mixed dosage is good or not.  Things are always changing with the Covid-19 vaxes, so attitudes on the mixing may change.  Meanwhile, Canada seems the prominent outlier in this regard.

Germany is also using the same approcah, they now recommend and mRNA dose after receiving AZ as the first dose. The German Chancellor got AZ for her first shot and moderna for her second. Other countries in Europe and Asia are also following this approach now as clinical trials have shown that the immune response is stronger. Which make it a bit ironic that Princess won't recognize it. I think it will become more common and the cruise lines will have to adapt their policies. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

However, if you check the list of vaccines receiving emergency approval by WHO (Note Princess said that it would accept vaccines that have received emergency approval by the FDA or WHO) there is no mixed vaccines on the emergency approval list.

The statement that you posted "If different COVID-19 vaccine products are inadvertently administered in the two doses, no additional doses of either vaccine are recommended at this time" is not the same as emergency authorization for the combination.

If someone did a clinical trial on the combination and submitted the result to WHO then you might see if get on the approved list.  Other than that probably not.  The decision to do that was a decision by a countries health authority without formal studies which WHO requires for even emergency approval for a vaccine.

Also keep in mind that the countries that made that decision did it to save lives not necessarily with the intent of making it easy for people to do recreational travel such as cruising.

Edited by nocl
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

Maybe Princess needs to review its policy. In its guidance (quoted below), the WHO says that a mix and match regime of first AZ followed by an mRNA is acceptable and considered as a full vaccination

I'm not seeing in your quote where the WHO states mixed doses makes people "Fully Vaccinated," I think they are saying it is safe to get both vaccines, but they fell short of saying it constitutes "Fully Vaccinated."  IMHO, I suspect the guidance on mixed doses not being "Fully Vaccinated" came from the CDC as it looks like the same restriction is being applied across several other cruise lines as well.  I might be wrong about that but it is consistent with the CDC requirement that 95% of passengers and crew must be "Fully Vaccinated."

40 minutes ago, dog said:

On News this am a couple say they canceled vacation in Barbados due to mixed vaccines not accepted there. Possibly changes/ requirements to come for ports as well ?

Just updated yesterday for Barbados...

Travel Protocols Updated; Accepting Mixed Vaccines | GIS (gisbarbados.gov.bb)

Barbados-Travel-Protocols.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2021 at 10:35 AM, ceilidh1 said:

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this, but I just found it out yesterday and thought it important for other Canadians who may not know!

If you received a mixed dose for your vaccination, please be sure to check the FAQs on Princess to see if you are considered fully vaccinated. I was about to book a summer sailing to Alaska for a client and am so glad I read every piece of fine print. Princess are not accepting those with Astra Zeneca followed by Moderna/Pfizer. This could potentially impact MANY Canadians who were "urged" to accept whatever vaccine was offered. (On further investigation, I have found that NCL and Carnival also have similar restrictions).

Sorry if this is old news...I hadn't heard/seen it before yesterday!

Thanks.   

I've been checking the FAQ and I'm pretty sure this is a new addition. 

Sucks for us - we did the mix as we were encouraged to do, and we are booked for a Dec 2021 cruise to which this applies.  
Have to wait and see if they change this before final payment.....  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisintoddler said:

Thanks.   

I've been checking the FAQ and I'm pretty sure this is a new addition. 

Sucks for us - we did the mix as we were encouraged to do, and we are booked for a Dec 2021 cruise to which this applies.  
Have to wait and see if they change this before final payment.....  

Not sure exactly when it was added, but it is definitely very recent as I check the FAQ/requirements frequently. I have a 10 year old that can't be vaccinated so keep checking in to see if they change anything about that, but also I am a TA and try to keep on top of things for clients - this "addition" lost me a few Alaska bookings this summer...when I booked for my clients it definitely did NOT indicate that mixed vaccines would not be accepted. It will be interesting to see if this changes ahead of their 3 day sale - this is typically HUGE for the Canadian side of my agency, but many of our agents are saying that their clients won't book with the uncertainty of whether they are considered fully vaccinated!

19 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Not sure exactly when it was added, but it is definitely very recent as I check the FAQ/requirements frequently. I have a 10 year old that can't be vaccinated so keep checking in to see if they change anything about that, but also I am a TA and try to keep on top of things for clients - this "addition" lost me a few Alaska bookings this summer...when I booked for my clients it definitely did NOT indicate that mixed vaccines would not be accepted. It will be interesting to see if this changes ahead of their 3 day sale - this is typically HUGE for the Canadian side of my agency, but many of our agents are saying that their clients won't book with the uncertainty of whether they are considered fully vaccinated!

I reached out to a Princess rep on June 25 and they said there would be no problem with a mixed vaccine as long as the two vaccines were approved by the WHO.  So my guess is a change was made sometime between then and now.  Also, looks like Carnival Cruise and Holland American has similar rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tert333 said:

I reached out to a Princess rep on June 25 and they said there would be no problem with a mixed vaccine as long as the two vaccines were approved by the WHO.  So my guess is a change was made sometime between then and now.  Also, looks like Carnival Cruise and Holland American has similar rules.

And NCL

8 minutes ago, tert333 said:

News just now- federal government is working on an International Passport so Canadians with mixed vaccines are accepted 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dog said:

News just now- federal government is working on an International Passport so Canadians with mixed vaccines are accepted 

What Canada does is irrelevant.

If Princess decides that a particular combination of vaccines doesn't meet their requirements for a particular cruise,  we won't be allowed on board, no matter what our Canadian paperwork says.  

• Like 2