Canadians Looking to Sail With Princess...Check The FAQs!

ceilidh1

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this, but I just found it out yesterday and thought it important for other Canadians who may not know!

If you received a mixed dose for your vaccination, please be sure to check the FAQs on Princess to see if you are considered fully vaccinated. I was about to book a summer sailing to Alaska for a client and am so glad I read every piece of fine print. Princess are not accepting those with Astra Zeneca followed by Moderna/Pfizer. This could potentially impact MANY Canadians who were "urged" to accept whatever vaccine was offered. (On further investigation, I have found that NCL and Carnival also have similar restrictions).

Sorry if this is old news...I hadn't heard/seen it before yesterday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gerrycat said:

Interesting.  So the Prime Minister of Canada would not be able to cruise with Princess.  

True, as well as, others who encouraged us to follow this advice. 

mods- maybe this needs to be moved? 

4 minutes ago, dog said:

I considered this happening. Pfizer all the way for us. 

Unfortunately, we were not given a choice.  We have some months before our next cruise; I expect plenty of changes, and perhaps boosters, before then.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dog said:

mods- maybe this needs to be moved? 

Sorry - I wasn't sure of the best place to post. I just wanted to give a heads up to any Canadians that might be booked for 2021 that didn't realise this! It seemed to be quietly added to the the FAQ section (I have been checking it quite regularly and hadn't seen it previously). It would suck to think you were all set to sail, having received your 2 doses, only to find out they weren't recognized!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Sorry - I wasn't sure of the best place to post. I just wanted to give a heads up to any Canadians that might be booked for 2021 that didn't realise this! It seemed to be quietly added to the the FAQ section (I have been checking it quite regularly and hadn't seen it previously). It would suck to think you were all set to sail, having received your 2 doses, only to find out they weren't recognized!

Oh, same here. I wasn’t sure when I posted but it does apply to Princess requirements  so I joined in 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gerrycat said:

Unfortunately, we were not given a choice.  We have some months before our next cruise; I expect plenty of changes, and perhaps boosters, before then.  

Still could change at any time. 

The USA has millions of doses of AZ mothballed they are going to be giving to other countries. Good for them.  They have just not given it the final approval for their own citizens. Seems to me if they are giving it away to the world, they will need to say it is approved  by them…..otherwise they are sending useless/ dangerous vaccines to others. Millions of doses have been used worldwide in progressive countries.  I think it will be approved shortly. JMO. 

• Like 2

We’re booked for May 2022 and I hope this has changed by then.  We had AZ as dose one and Moderna as dose two and we had no choice.  However, we have been assured that we are considered totally vaccinated.  Some restrictions just make absolutely no sense.

Edited by Lady Arwen
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, muffin said:

The USA has millions of doses of AZ mothballed they are going to be giving to other countries. Good for them.  They have just not given it the final approval for their own citizens. Seems to me if they are giving it away to the world, they will need to say it is approved  by them…..otherwise they are sending useless/ dangerous vaccines to others. Millions of doses have been used worldwide in progressive countries.  I think it will be approved shortly. JMO. 

As someone in the USA who is fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca in a trial,  I am considered fully vaccinated and have a CDC card to prove it.   The CDC has approved AstraZeneca, it is the FDA that has not.  AstraZeneca has applied for full approval by the FDA.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, muffin said:

Actually, no COVID-19 vaccines have been fully approved in the USA.  All vaccines have been granted Emergency Use Authorization.  AZ is not being used because the FDA has asked for results from their large scale tests.  Since enough of the other vaccines are available, they have not given it emergency use authorization like the others.  AZ and JJ have been shown to produce blood clots in some recipients.  However, the EMA and WHO both have deemed it safe.  Maybe they have less regard for their citizens...or they just have different standards than the FDA.

7 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

Actually, no COVID-19 vaccines have been fully approved in the USA.  All vaccines have been granted Emergency Use Authorization.  AZ is not being used because the FDA has asked for results from their large scale tests.  Since enough of the other vaccines are available, they have not given it emergency use authorization like the others.  AZ and JJ have been shown to produce blood clots in some recipients.  However, the EMA and WHO both have deemed it safe.  Maybe they have less regard for their citizens...or they just have different standards than the FDA.

Or maybe the US gvt agencies just have more ponderous bureaucracies. "..less regard for their citizens"? Really?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Or maybe the US gvt agencies just have more ponderous bureaucracies. "..less regard for their citizens"? Really?

That was tongue in cheek!  Don't be so sensitive.  And yes, our Government has way too many layers of bureaucratic garbage. 

Mixing the two MRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) is allowed.  The Princess FAQ states: "Guests who have received two single doses of mixed vaccines that are the same type (e.g., mRNA) will be considered fully vaccinated and will be permitted to sail"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

AstraZeneca did not apply for Emergency Use, they went straight for full approval.  Their application has been with the FDA since early June.  They did it with no fanfare.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Anubi said:

Is having Moderna and Pfizer considered to be mixed or is it focused on AZ?

From the FAQs the OP posted…Moderna & Pfizer are both mRNA vaccines so they’re valid for Princess.

“Guests who have received two single doses of mixed vaccines that are the same type (e.g., mRNA) will be considered fully vaccinated and will be permitted to sail, so long as the final dose is received at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anubi said:

Is having Moderna and Pfizer considered to be mixed or is it focused on AZ?

This is where it is important to check cruiseline specific policies...it seems Pfizer/Moderna mix is fine for Princess, but not NCL:

Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com)

What vaccines will be accepted?

Passengers on ships embarking or disembarking at US ports need to be vaccinated with FDA approved vaccines. Mixed Pfizer / Moderna double vaccine shots are not approved by the FDA.

All Other Vessels will accept any U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA), or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol. Or a mixed vaccination protocol of only Astraseneca-SK Bio, Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna combinations.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

I hope I am not breaking any rules by posting this, but I just found it out yesterday and thought it important for other Canadians who may not know!

If you received a mixed dose for your vaccination, please be sure to check the FAQs on Princess to see if you are considered fully vaccinated. I was about to book a summer sailing to Alaska for a client and am so glad I read every piece of fine print. Princess are not accepting those with Astra Zeneca followed by Moderna/Pfizer. This could potentially impact MANY Canadians who were "urged" to accept whatever vaccine was offered. (On further investigation, I have found that NCL and Carnival also have similar restrictions).

Sorry if this is old news...I hadn't heard/seen it before yesterday!

This is precisely why we tracked down an available Pfizer shot for #2 to keep it the same as #1 when there was a temporary Pfizer shortage in ON about a month ago.  We got an email notice two days before our booked appt that we would be getting Moderna for #2 shot.  If we re-booked, had to wait > 1 more month for Pfizer due to appt backlog.  No way we wanted to be in the position of traveling out of country and running into questions or blockages because we had mixed doses.  Canada has pretty much been out on the proverbial limb mixing doses.

ETA - I realize Princess is saying mixed mNRA is fine, but you never know where this might become an issue.  

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1