Testing now required for all Celebrity Guests

joelzme

Just got this in the mail…

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS 

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Equinox® for your Caribbean sailing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Before we depart, we have some important information to share regarding our Health and Safety Protocols.Celebrity Cruises has been working closely with health and government authorities, in each country we sail from, to outline a clear path for cruising with new health and safety measures. As we return to service, we are continuously evaluating all requirements from local government and health officials. Out of an abundance of caution, Celebrity Cruises will be enhancing COVID-19 testing requirements for both vaccinated and unvaccinated guests.

All guests over the age two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs.

Unvaccinated guests and children, under 12 years of age, will be required to take an additional antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation, mid-cruise and on the day before disembarkation. A registration link for required testing will be sent separately.

Should a guest be unable to complete the testing requirements, a 100% refund or Future Cruise Credit will be offered. Additional testing and protocols will be confirmed closer to your sailing departure date in line with the most up to date recommendations from local government and health officials as well as our Healthy Sail Panel. These measures, including vaccination and testing requirements, will evolve along with public health standards.

Celebrity Equinox will sail with a vaccinated crew, and at least 95% of guests fully vaccinated. Guests 12 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing. Guests who decline or are unable to show proof of vaccination at boarding will be treated as unvaccinated and subject to additional protocols, restrictions, and costs for COVID-19 testing. For details on our current health and safety protocols please visit  https://www.healthyatsea.com. We’re sailing with fewer guests for more space – and more luxury with even more activities to avoid large gatherings in public spaces.

We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause. We're confident they will deliver a more satisfying vacation experience. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Celebrity Cruises at 1-844-418-6824in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide.

Sincerely,
Celebrity Cruises

18 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Looks like this is the topic of the day!

Yeah, or topics.  Being there are quite a few threads talking about the same thing.  😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Texed said:

Yeah, or topics.  Being there are quite a few threads talking about the same thing.  😁

Yes, I saw thread # 3 after posting. 😊
It’s perfectly understandable why people are confused and upset. I'm so glad we already sailed on July 17 and didn’t have to go through this. We'll have to go through this eventually. ☹️

• Like 1

9 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

... 😊
I'm so glad we already sailed on July 17 and didn’t have to go through this. We'll have to go through this eventually. ☹️

Not really, "C-Dragons."  You won't "have to go through this eventually," because no one can force you or us to cruise while this new protocol is temporarily in force.  Our future travels (like your next cruise) can be deferred until a time of greater sanity -- and lowered inconvenience and expense.

We were very unhappy -- even shocked -- to read the terrible news in the message received by the OP, because we thought that Celebrity was going to continue to have the wisdom to allow vaccinated people like us to board, at U.S. ports, without having to be tested. 

We were hoping to book (in mid-August) back-to-back cruises totaling 21 nights.  Now, because of this change, we will not book anything.  Why not?  It is not due to any fear of getting sick on a plane or a ship, because we have no such fear.  Instead, it is because we are not willing to go through the inconvenience, discomfort, and expense of being tested within a short "window of time" -- with the accompanying anxiety/stress caused by uncertainly about receiving the test results before leaving home for the port.

It seems that Celebrity is doing this because a virus case turns up, now and again, even when everyone is vaccinated -- and Celebrity no longer wants to bear the expense of flying people home.  The cruise line apparently thinks that the number of cases will be even fewer than they already are, if everyone is tested shortly before Embarkation Day.

Edited by jg51
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, jg51 said:

Instead, it is because we are not willing to go through the inconvenience, discomfort, and expense of being tested within a short "window of time"

What expense- Celebrity are paying for the tests- at least in UK, where they have had this protocol since the start of the UK Staycations on Silhouette.

389A9454-B1F3-43EB-924B-5178B15926FC.png

Completely understandable BUT...

Celebrity should test us upon embarkation (I'm even willing to pay for it!) as a COVID test w/results 72-hours before sailing is stressful for the guest & rather meaningless since you can test negative in the AM and positive in the evening!

Additionally "within 72 hours of embarkation" and "within 3-days of boarding" are not the same thing!

Edited by adolfo2
  • Like 3

This is absolute BS.  We've done everything asked of us during our government's knee jerk reaction.  The goal posts continue to move on a whim.

I see X offers refund or FCC if you are "unable" to get the test.  How about "unwilling" to be jerked around?

Found the text of this BS on the X site at Travel Requirements for US Cruises | Celebrity Cruises if anyone is curious.

Edited by cltnccruisers
addition
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

This is absolute BS.  We've done everything asked of us during our government's knee jerk reaction.  The goal posts continue to move on a whim.

I see X offers refund or FCC if you are "unable" to get the test.  How about "unwilling" to be jerked around?

Same deal. Refund or FCC

People don't realize that they are changing the rules b/c of what is going on with the Delta variant.  Vaxxed or Not everyone is transmitting the virus if you have Covid.  I support Celebrity for trying to give you the opportunity to have a worry free and safe cruise.  I leave today on the Edge and am looking and support them testing me at the Port Everglades with the Antigen test.  It's just another level of protection.  This is just my opinion and I respect others opinions as well. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

The text specifically says "unable".  Huge difference between "unable" and "unwilling" as in "Hey X, I'm canceling because you changed the rules again and I can't trust you anymore".

No difference in my mind. I’m unable to get the test because I’m unwilling to do it. Either way you get a refund or FCC. 

Just now, Sascol said:

It’s a simple, painless test people. What’s the big deal?  Take the test, enjoy your cruise. 

It is simple - I've had it before.  What's most aggravating is the moving goalposts.  This is totally on us to do during a period that is hectic and sometimes stressful.   They should do it to every at embarkation if they are going to require it.

I'd be willing to cancel altogether except my wife would kill me and, based on the wording of the demand, I'd lose 100%.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

No difference in my mind. I’m unable to get the test because I’m unwilling to do it. Either way you get a refund or FCC. 

I'd like to test your interpretation but my wife would kill me when we lost 100%.  🙂

I misunderstood this.  I thought Celebrity was doing the test at embarkation. I see now we do this on our own prior to arrival. Annoying yes, but given Delta, due to the issues being caused by the unvaxxed, sadly necessary. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sascol said:

I misunderstood this.  I thought Celebrity was doing the test at embarkation. I see now we do this on our own prior to arrival. Annoying yes, but given Delta, due to the issues being caused by the unvaxxed, sadly necessary. 

Testing at embarkation is only for Edge 7/31 and Equinox 8/1.  The rest of us are on our own.  I'll get it done after a suitable period of ranting but the days leading up to our cruise will be pretty busy for my work but my wife will have to find  a test site and get us an appointment the day before we drive to Fla.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Found the text of this BS on the X site at Travel Requirements for US Cruises | Celebrity Cruises if anyone is curious.

Since you consider this BS, government's knee jerk reaction. 

What do you suggest we do? 

It is easy to find fault and criticize.

Like they say in Jamaica, things happen. 

You have a choice to make. 

2 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

Testing at embarkation is only for Edge 7/31 and Equinox 8/1.  The rest of us are on our own.  I'll get it done after a suitable period of ranting but the days leading up to our cruise will be pretty busy for my work but my wife will have to find  a test site and get us an appointment the day before we drive to Fla.

Wouldn’t you rather know before driving to Florida compared to having turn around and drive back after you get there?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schittenden said:

Wouldn’t you rather know before driving to Florida compared to having turn around and drive back after you get there?

If that happened we have plenty of places along the route to vacation on the way back.  Part of my problem is that the wording from X gives FCC to those "unable" to complete the requirements.  It's not really clear if completing the requirements means having a negative test or getting a test at all.  I hope we don't have to find out.