Alternate Rapid COVID19 Tests -- Abbot's ID Now and NAAT

Does anyone know if these two alternate Rapid COVID19 Tests will be accepted by RCI for vaccinated passenger to present at the pier so they can board.  I know they accept the Rapid Antigen Test:

• Abbot Lab's ID Now
  • Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, or NAAT

The Walgreens close by does this type of test but I don't think they do the Antigen test (closest place the website gave me as VA and we are in SC)  I'm going to check with the pharmacist tomorrow.  However, CVS does the Antigen test.  

Good question. My only advise is if you dont see it in writing on royals website I would not trust they will accept it. I wouldnt even trust a phone call to a rep. I wouldnt trust this forum when it comes to this either,no disrespect to anyone. 

If you have access to cvs I would do it there. Less stress the day of embarkation.

we are all going to cvs for our antigen test. I know its accepted and dont want any more worry then necessary.

just my opinion.

• Like 2

:classic_biggrin: LOL. I don't think shoreside personnel are really qualified to evaluate or understand what sort of covid test you might have had. :classic_biggrin: But I actually do agree with rtazz (for once), and probably just go with something simple like the CVS rapid results antigen test. In order avoid any confusion at check in. :classic_biggrin:

7 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

Good question. My only advise is if you dont see it in writing on royals website I would not trust they will accept it. I wouldnt even trust a phone call to a rep. I wouldnt trust this forum when it comes to this either,no disrespect to anyone. 

If you have access to cvs I would do it there. Less stress the day of embarkation.

we are all going to cvs for our antigen test. I know its accepted and dont want any more worry then necessary.

just my opinion.

What is the antigen test? Is it the one that is real far up the nose? How fast does CVS give you the results? Is it free? Does anyone know if the required tests are administered the same way or what the difference is?

Thank you for your time....I am already stressing about getting this test for our Sept. cruise! I already had one test with the stick down my throat and it was not pleasant.

Just now, ptf2009 said:

What is the antigen test? Is it the one that is real far up the nose? How fast does CVS give you the results? Is it free? Does anyone know if the required tests are administered the same way or what the difference is?

Thank you for your time....I am already stressing about getting this test for our Sept. cruise! I already had one test with the stick down my throat and it was not pleasant.

The antigen test is not the one that goes really far up your nostril. My daughter just had one done at CVS yesterday. You take one q-tip, and swirl it inside each nostril (about one inch) for 15 seconds. We did not pay anything, but we have insurance and are in NJ, so I don't know whether that is the case across the board. We received a phone call from the nurse practitioner about 30 minutes later telling us it was negative. I also received a text message with a link to the negative test result, which I could save as a PDF (I was able to email the PDF to myself so that I could print it out). I hope that helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, rtazz17 said:

just my opinion.

No CVS rapid antigen tests near us.  Are you doing it in FL?  If so where?

Edited by luckyfincruiser

10 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Does anyone know if these two alternate Rapid COVID19 Tests will be accepted by RCI for vaccinated passenger to present at the pier so they can board.  I know they accept the Rapid Antigen Test:

• Abbot Lab's ID Now
  • Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, or NAAT

The Walgreens close by does this type of test but I don't think they do the Antigen test (closest place the website gave me as VA and we are in SC)  I'm going to check with the pharmacist tomorrow.  However, CVS does the Antigen test.  

We have a similar one near us called “15 to know”.  It’s 49.00 per person and it’s the Abbot lab also. I was assuming that one was ok to use. I don’t have a CVS near me that does the rapid.

Based on Royals Email

"must be arranged by each guest at their own expense with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain or diagnostic lab."

They should accept any test coming from one of the big Drugstor Chains such as Walgreens, CVS, Rite-aid where the result are sent to you from a lab (ie not a home test)

My daughter and I boarded Adventure with NAAT negative results. I promise you the young lady processing us had no idea what she was looking at other than the date, name, and the word negative. As I understand it, NAAT is PCR, or so it said on my print-out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Local Walgreens here do PCR (external lab), ID Now and BinaxNow antigen.  Around 24 hours for first once sample gets to lab, 24 hours for second locally done, an hour for third.  The ID Now is similar to PCR since both are genetic NAAT but nobody seems to know if it is ok.  Gotta believe when Royal says tests by drugstores and labs that all three are acceptable, but they haven't actually clarified if ID Now is ok.  So we will get the Binax.  Can't even make an appointment until 3 days before testing.

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

My daughter and I boarded Adventure with NAAT negative results. I promise you the young lady processing us had no idea what she was looking at other than the date, name, and the word negative. As I understand it, NAAT is PCR, or so it said on my print-out. 

Thanks --- this is good to know as one of the Urgent Care facilities near us does the NAAT test.  Right now, we're planning to go to CVS who does an Antigen test but I want to have plenty of backups.  I being anal as I really want to go on our cruise.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I decided not to chance it and registered for an antigen test at CVS even though Walgreens that does the ID-NOW test is way closer to me. Good thing with CVS too is that they let me book two weeks in advance so I’m set for my August 15th cruise. Had the pick of appointment times that far out.

if anyone is doing the Walgreens Antigen, make sure it’s available near you. They won’t let you book until 3 days out and it looks like they’re only offering it in SC. I know people are saying they boarded with the ID-NOW test, but I’d rather not chance it since they don’t specifically list it.

• Like 1

@RoyalCaribbean Two questions:  1)  Walgreens has IDNOW tests.  Is that acceptable?  2)  We are on the Freedom and Symphony in Sept/Oct.  One day in between cruises.  Can we test on the Freedom and will it be accepted on the Symphony?

From Royal:

Hey, Gary. An antigen or PCR test is accepted. Just let Walgreens know and they'll be able to assist you. For our B2B guest yes, you can get tested onboard. - Leah

Thank you for answering question 2.   Can I please get an answer for the first question.   Are IDNOW tests from Walgreens accepted?   Thanks.

From Royal: 

PCR or antigen tests are the only two currently accepted as a form of testing. -Zack

Edited by flyers10

Just now, jshli said:

dandi799, can you tell me which CVS in NJ your daughter received the antigen test?

Ledgewood in Northern, NJ. I also scheduled my whole family to get the rapid antigen test at the Sparta, NJ location next week before we head out to get on Symphony. 

On 8/2/2021 at 7:19 AM, dandi799 said:

The antigen test is not the one that goes really far up your nostril. My daughter just had one done at CVS yesterday. You take one q-tip, and swirl it inside each nostril (about one inch) for 15 seconds. We did not pay anything, but we have insurance and are in NJ, so I don't know whether that is the case across the board. We received a phone call from the nurse practitioner about 30 minutes later telling us it was negative. I also received a text message with a link to the negative test result, which I could save as a PDF (I was able to email the PDF to myself so that I could print it out). I hope that helps!

Thank you for this info...and I am happy to hear that the antigen test is not so invasive!

(General disclaimer) This is what happens when you read to much, try to answer questions, search online, read more, and read a lot of things other people say, then follow up and try to figure out things better. I am not an expert in this field, but I have some ability to comprehend scientific things and understand things I read in context. So please consider this information as simply a summary of things I've accumulated from personal experiences.

RT-PCR is a type of NAAT test. NAAT refers to the methodology of how the sample is processed for testing.

Some NAAT tests, including RT-PCR tests, can provide results at the point-of-care in under an hour or so or via lab-based testing. In other words, there can be quick or rapid versions of NAAT tests where samples are taken and tested at the same location with results available very quickly instead of being shipped to a laboratory for testing, so calling a test simply a "rapid" test is not sufficient to differentiate the type/class of test.

There are other NAAT tests.

Nucleic Acid Amplification Tests (NAATs) | CDC

Antigen tests are inexpensive to perform and almost always provide results at the point of care within a short time, like 15 minutes. Antigen tests look for the presence of a specific viral antigen in the sample. They are generally less sensitive than a NAAT test (meaning you are more likely to have a FALSE NEGATIVE with an Anitgen test than with a NAAT test, and generally there are recommendations for confirmatory testing with a NAAT test based on the results of an Antigen test. For example, if you have symptoms, but test negative with an Antigen test, you want confirmation with a NAAT test; and if you don't have symptoms, but you test positive with an Antigen test, you want confirmation with a NAAT test.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/testing-overview.html

Usually when some entity wants a RT-PCR test, they really simply are wanting a NAAT test -- a molecular test that is typically much more accurate than an Antigen test, and different than an Antibody test. Getting them to admit that is usually an issue because you're rarely talking to someone who is doing more than reading from a script.

And remember NAAT tests are much less likely than Antigen tests to provide a FALSE NEGATIVE. Well, "much" is open to interpretation of course, and by "much" it's not like it's super-likely, just simply more likely.

As terminology goes... A tests "specificity" represents how well it can rule out an infection. And a tests "sensitivity" represents how well it can correctly identify an infection.

Frequently Asked Questions about Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Laboratories | CDC

Now all that said, I know that there has been past confusion with Abbott ID NOW tests and Royal Caribbean, but know they accept it, and they can even sometimes admit they accept it. There was even a recent thread somewhere of someone escalating that question up the chain because they were initially told it wasn't acceptable. Abbott ID NOW is a NAAT that has had some criticisms of being low sensitivity (https://elifesciences.org/articles/65726). You could probably summarize ID NOW as likely being much better than an Antigen test, but maybe slightly/arguably not up to the performance of an RT-PCR test.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dswallow said:

(General disclaimer) This is what happens when you read to much, try to answer questions, search online, read more, and read a lot of things other people say, then follow up and try to figure out things better. I am not an expert in this field, but I have some ability to comprehend scientific things and understand things I read in context. So please consider this information as simply a summary of things I've accumulated from personal experiences.

RT-PCR is a type of NAAT test. NAAT refers to the methodology of how the sample is processed for testing.

Some NAAT tests, including RT-PCR tests, can provide results at the point-of-care in under an hour or so or via lab-based testing. In other words, there can be quick or rapid versions of NAAT tests where samples are taken and tested at the same location with results available very quickly instead of being shipped to a laboratory for testing, so calling a test simply a "rapid" test is not sufficient to differentiate the type/class of test.

Antigen tests are inexpensive to perform and almost always provide results at the point of care within a short time, like 15 minutes. Antigen tests look for the presence of a specific viral antigen in the sample. They are generally less sensitive than a NAAT test (meaning you are more likely to have a FALSE NEGATIVE with an Anitgen test than with a NAAT test, and generally there are recommendations for confirmatory testing with a NAAT test based on the results of an Antigen test. For example, if you have symptoms, but test negative with an Antigen test, you want confirmation with a NAAT test; and if you don't have symptoms, but you test positive with an Antigen test, you want confirmation with a NAAT test.

Usually when some entity wants a RT-PCR test, they really simply are wanting a NAAT test -- a molecular test that is typically much more accurate than an Antigen test, and different than an Antibody test. Getting them to admit that is usually an issue because you're rarely talking to someone who is doing more than reading from a script.

And remember NAAT tests are much less likely than Antigen tests to provide a FALSE NEGATIVE. Well, "much" is open to interpretation of course, and by "much" it's not like it's super-likely, just simply more likely.

As terminology goes... A tests "specificity" represents how well it can rule out an infection. And a tests "sensitivity" represents how well it can correctly identify an infection.

Now all that said, I know that there has been past confusion with Abbott ID NOW tests and Royal Caribbean, but know they accept it, and they can even sometimes admit they accept it. There was even a recent thread somewhere of someone escalating that question up the chain because they were initially told it wasn't acceptable. Abbott ID NOW is a NAAT that has had some criticisms of being low sensitivity (https://elifesciences.org/articles/65726). You could probably summarize ID NOW as likely being much better than an Antigen test, but maybe slightly/arguably not up to the performance of an RT-PCR test.

Thanks for your very informed answer.  Before I took one of these tests (which sound great), I would want RCI confirmation in writing that they were accepted.  

On 8/2/2021 at 11:09 PM, MikeMSD said:

I decided not to chance it and registered for an antigen test at CVS even though Walgreens that does the ID-NOW test is way closer to me. Good thing with CVS too is that they let me book two weeks in advance so I’m set for my August 15th cruise. Had the pick of appointment times that far out.

if anyone is doing the Walgreens Antigen, make sure it’s available near you. They won’t let you book until 3 days out and it looks like they’re only offering it in SC. I know people are saying they boarded with the ID-NOW test, but I’d rather not chance it since they don’t specifically list it.

We did the same... I did not want to wait to make an appointment... I just have a feeling that the demand for testing is about to explode... especially if companies require more testing for those not vaccinated.. We are also using CVS rapid antigen test

On 8/3/2021 at 3:21 PM, dswallow said:

Thanks again for all your helpful info... your Bahamian Health visa form...saved me a lot of time...