The vaccination olympics

This blog of the panel discussion on reopening is well worth reading.  I recommend the video of Dr David Skegg speaking.  No word on any changes to the maritime protection order.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/449003/covid-19-what-will-it-take-to-open-up-nz-s-borders-govt-experts-have-their-say

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

True but at this stage, it is more about people being eligible and having the shots available than the hesitancy  of the public. Yes there are some anti Vaxer's, and  some more that are apathetic  but they are very few in reality.

I can only base it in what is happening locally (outer western Sydney) but I can see a big shift in uptake of the jabs, with less hesitancy apparent. There seems to be ample supplies, of AZ at least, & people with bookings for Pfizer for Sept/Oct are electing to bring their jab forward and take AZ as there are any number of places where you can get a slot within a few days.

I guess we will see how many anti-vaxxers & apathetics & genuine hesitants there really are in the not too distant future.

The message is clear - stay home & get the jab.

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I wonder if there will be cruises to Brizvegas for their olympics? 

There's sure to be cruises visiting Brisbane during the Olympics, but only for the day. It's hard to see how a cruise ship could stay in Brisbane for the duration of the Games. There's not a lot of room in the river for ships to anchor, like they do in Sydney Harbour. Maybe they could dock at the grain terminal, but even that would be expensive.

The closest place where several ships can anchor safely is in Moreton Bay off Tangalooma. Which is a long ferry ride back to the city.

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Currently they can only dock one ship at a time.

I don't know what they would have to do to increase that, but I suspect it would involve a great deal of money.

That's a bit surprising. I thought they might have designed the terminal to handle two ships. 

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That's a bit surprising. I thought they might have designed the terminal to handle two ships. 

I don’t think it’s the space for the ships as much as the infrastructure required to manage two ships at a time. Customs, embarkation staff, wharfies loading goods onto the ship/s, car parking. What an undertaking that would be.
Even Sydney OPT only takes one ship at a time - they just have two terminals - OPT & White Bay.

3 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I don’t think it’s the space for the ships as much as the infrastructure required to manage two ships at a time. Customs, embarkation staff, wharfies loading goods onto the ship/s, car parking. What an undertaking that would be.
Even Sydney OPT only takes one ship at a time - they just have two terminals - OPT & White Bay.

The OPT only takes one ship because there isn't room for it to expand. 

Other ports deal with multiple ships at the same time. Queens Wharf in Auckland does, one each side. Not necessarily embarking both at once though.

Brisbane is a transit port as well as an embarkation port. Some cruises just stop there as an itinerary stop, so have partial embarkations like Princess on some of the longer itineraries, and some a full turnarounds. That's why I'm surprised they haven't catered for two ships at a time. 

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Now 4 cases, more to come

Thousands of your mob down here Mic, they escaped overnight, lol.   TP is all gone and Dan Murphy's has depleted stock, lol.

Edited by NSWP

37 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thousands of your mob down here Mic, they escaped overnight, lol.   TP is all gone and Dan Murphy's has depleted stock, lol.

Yep, many escaped prior to the 5pm lockdown, the Chief Minister is very upset at the selfishness and stupidity of those who did. Of course, some may regret their decisions when they need to return and NSW police will/should be checking to make sure they isolate as they have come from a hotspot.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I remember on a Melbourne Cup some years ago we had 5 cruise ship in Melbourne

4 at Station Pier and 1 up the Yarra.....

doubt one will see that again.... since a lot of the smaller ship have gone...

I remember sitting at a restaurant on St Kilda beach one evening in mid Feb 2016 watching Queen Elizabeth and Golden Princess head out to sea. Golden left first, I think. We were due to sail on her up to Hong Kong a couple of months later.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2021 at 8:50 AM, Porky55 said:

Only problem I see with that one - is this is a National passport, and my records are National but …………… States have been managing QR Codes …… I see drama ahead 🙄

Could we end up with nine Passports - all States and then a National one? I truly hope not!!

WA has started the ball rolling. I bit of a moot point ATM. Try getting an exemption to enter WA from NSW. It should be a National approach, IMHO

"Border restrictions for people arriving from New South Wales, requiring they show proof of having had least one COVID-19 vaccination. Under the new restrictions, due to take effect next Tuesday, travellers will also need to prove a negative coronavirus test result from the previous 72 hours." Source ABC

16 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

WA has started the ball rolling. I bit of a moot point ATM. Try getting an exemption to enter WA from NSW. It should be a National approach, IMHO

"Border restrictions for people arriving from New South Wales, requiring they show proof of having had least one COVID-19 vaccination. Under the new restrictions, due to take effect next Tuesday, travellers will also need to prove a negative coronavirus test result from the previous 72 hours." Source ABC

Is that anyone or just WA residents returning?

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Is that anyone or just WA residents returning?

"The new requirements imposed on travellers from NSW will also apply for people arriving from all states and territories deemed "high risk" going forward."

My reading of the article would mean anybody who travelled from NSW. People from other States and Overseas exempt visitors included.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, many escaped prior to the 5pm lockdown, the Chief Minister is very upset at the selfishness and stupidity of those who did. Of course, some may regret their decisions when they need to return and NSW police will/should be checking to make sure they isolate as they have come from a hotspot.

The word is Mic that Queanbeyan and Eurobodalla/Bega Shires will be locked down due to so many ACT residents coming here in the past 24 hrs, there are hundreds.  Disaster zone in and around Batemans Bay/Moruya, supermarkets empty of goods etc.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The word is Mic that Queanbeyan and Eurobodalla/Bega Shires will be locked down due to so many ACT residents coming here in the past 24 hrs, there are hundreds.  Disaster zone in and around Batemans Bay/Moruya, supermarkets empty of goods etc.

Stay at home, Uncle Les, and stay safe. I hope you have plenty of 🥂🥩🍺.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I remember sitting at a restaurant on St Kilda beach one evening in mid Feb 2016 watching Queen Elizabeth and Golden Princess head out to sea. Golden left first, I think. We were due to sail on her up to Hong Kong a couple of months later.

In past cruise seasons, Station Pier hosted two ships on the same day a number of times. Just the new super large ships can't come into Port Phillip Bay.

11 minutes ago, possum52 said:

In past cruise seasons, Station Pier hosted two ships on the same day a number of times. Just the new super large ships can't come into Port Phillip Bay.

Lucky you! I wish the new large Princess ships couldn't come to Sydney. I don' t like them. They've lost too many of the things that made Princess our favourite cruise line. 😥

• Like 1

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

"The new requirements imposed on travellers from NSW will also apply for people arriving from all states and territories deemed "high risk" going forward."

My reading of the article would mean anybody who travelled from NSW. People from other States and Overseas exempt visitors included.

It is a bit ambiguous, my understanding is only people with the travel exemptions are allowed and even they need the negative  test results