The vaccination olympics

Our govt is due to respond today to the epidemiologist recommendations re border reopening.  There may be some cruise clues.  I did like this analogy regarding the unvaccinated though.  I can't share the whole article because it is behind a paywall.

Being unvaccinated has been likened to keeping your house lights on at night during a bombing blitz: you're exercising your right to do as you please, but you're endangering yourself and everyone around you.

Those people aren't in much danger right now because the skies have been cleared in the form of our mostly Covid-impenetrable borders.

But that will change as the borders start to reopen next year.

If that is delayed, resentment towards those with the house lights still on might simmer over into resentment towards the Government for keeping the lid on Fortress NZ to protect them.

And the Prime Minister may find herself morally obliged to protect them if the unvaccinated cohort is large - but it would come at a political cost.

• Like 5

Tasmania has the advantage being a small island state. Vic is a small state. Qld and WA have the disadvantage of being large states with Qld being decentralised.  nSW has disadvantage of having a large population in a medium size state.  I was surprised to see a photo of Goondiwindi on front page of Courier Mail re being most vaccinised. CHO at press briefing said the Govt vaccinated

all ages at once at small communities.  Makes sense!

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you. MIQ. ?

Managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) charges allow the Government to recover some of the costs for MIQ. The aim of the charges is to share the costs in a way that fairly reflects the benefits to both the New Zealand public of having a robust system, and those who leave and enter the country.

26 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) charges allow the Government to recover some of the costs for MIQ. The aim of the charges is to share the costs in a way that fairly reflects the benefits to both the New Zealand public of having a robust system, and those who leave and enter the country.

Great idea. Kiwis could always leave and come back. Unlike Aust!  However more Aussies have left and come back than I realised. Seems to be two sets of rules!

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

WA is dragging the chain and is at the back of the pack, in the race that is not a race.☹️

We are a big State with lots of remote communities up North. Apparently in some of those indigenous communities the young are labelling it a "White man's disease" because our isolating & protecting them has gone well. Our government needs to learn from the NT government how to help them understand it is vitally important to their community to get vaccinated. 

Also because we don't have an outbreak at the moment our under 30's are discouraged from getting AZ vaccine. I checked for my sons at a major respiratory clinic and our GP and was told they can't get Pfizer yet and would have to jump through hoops and were still unlikely to get AZ. Hopefully next month they will be eligible because they are keen to get vaccinated .

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

We are a big State with lots of remote communities up North. Apparently in some of those indigenous communities the young are labelling it a "White man's disease" because our isolating & protecting them has gone well. Our government needs to learn from the NT government how to help them understand it is vitally important to their community to get vaccinated.

The problem with Australia opening up, is the requirement for all States to achieve 80% vaccination of the eligible population. That is when we reach Phase C, and the lifting of all restrictions on outbound travel for vaccinated Australians. We will be held up getting to Stage C, if some States lag others.😡

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The problem with Australia opening up, is the requirement for all States to achieve 80% vaccination of the eligible population. That is when we reach Phase C, and the lifting of all restrictions on outbound travel for vaccinated Australians. We will be held up getting to Stage C, if some States lag others.😡

True but at this stage, it is more about people being eligible and having the shots available than the hesitancy  of the public. Yes there are some anti Vaxer's, and  some more that are apathetic  but they are very few in reality.

20 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Don't worry I am very frustrated with our slow roll out. For flu vaccines we usually do well, so maybe once we start having pharmacies able to give out vaccines that will also speed things up.  

Maybe having some sort of vaccine passport is the way to go especially for things like travel and going to sporting events. This might be the incentive for people to be vaccinated.

10 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

Don't worry I am very frustrated with our slow roll out. For flu vaccines we usually do well, so maybe once we start having pharmacies able to give out vaccines that will also speed things up.  

Maybe having some sort of vaccine passport is the way to go especially for things like travel and going to sporting events. This might be the incentive for people to be vaccinated.

Totally agree. A bit of carrot and the stick approach is needed to get people vaccinated, once supplies improve.😷

8 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Our govt is due to respond today to the epidemiologist recommendations re border reopening.  There may be some cruise clues.  I did like this analogy regarding the unvaccinated though.  I can't share the whole article because it is behind a paywall.

Being unvaccinated has been likened to keeping your house lights on at night during a bombing blitz: you're exercising your right to do as you please, but you're endangering yourself and everyone around you.

Those people aren't in much danger right now because the skies have been cleared in the form of our mostly Covid-impenetrable borders.

But that will change as the borders start to reopen next year.

If that is delayed, resentment towards those with the house lights still on might simmer over into resentment towards the Government for keeping the lid on Fortress NZ to protect them.

And the Prime Minister may find herself morally obliged to protect them if the unvaccinated cohort is large - but it would come at a political cost.

This morning just read this article from Germany:

Suspected saline switch sparks vaccine stir in Germany

And people say anti vaxers are only a danger to themselves🙄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

This morning just read this article from Germany:

Suspected saline switch sparks vaccine stir in Germany

And people say anti vaxers are only a danger to themselves🙄

OMG!!! I am shocked and horrified and hope that that she is deregistered and prosecuted. She was basically doing a Nurse Death and putting lives at risk.