The vaccination olympics

7 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

She also has enough brains to also consider the economic cost, all that is being lost and paid out as support is a bill that will have to eventually be paid. Some people think that Governments have an unlimited money supply, and are shocked to learn that managing a countries finances is a giant version of managing on a household income.

I know I might not be the most economically brightest but surely shutting down for 2 weeks is going to cost less than shutting down for months? So far it's been about 2 months and looking at the figures it is likely to be extended. I can't see how this can be the cheaper option🤔

Edited by ilikeanswers

11 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

She also has enough brains to also consider the economic cost, all that is being lost and paid out as support is a bill that will have to eventually be paid.

So how did that work out? What economic cost was avoided?

If she had actually shown those brains NSW would not now be on course for a months long lockdown.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

31 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The best that has been come up with so far is "go hard, go fast" on lockdowns.

Your Premier squibbed it.

👍 Unfortunately, I think Gladys fell for her own PR as being the 'gold standard'. If she had done what Vic and Queensland did when cases appeared - immediate lockdowns - I don't think the state would be in the situation it is now. It would most likely have been a lockdown (even total lockdown) that would have ended well before now and with fewer people infected - many of whom are now facing long COVID.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

So how did that work out? What economic cost was avoided?

If she had actually shown those brains NSW would not now be on course for a months long lockdown.

I suppose you got that conclusion out of your own private crystal ball. Wait and see what happens to Vic and Qld in the next few weeks and see how accurate that ball is.

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

👍 Unfortunately, I think Gladys fell for her own PR as being the 'gold standard'. If she had done what Vic and Queensland did when cases appeared - immediate lockdowns - I don't think the state would be in the situation it is now. It would most likely have been a lockdown (even total lockdown) that would have ended well before now and with fewer people infected - many of whom are now facing long COVID.

I agree. A true hard circuit breaker lockdown as soon as the first cases were discovered would have contained the spread across Sydney and we would probably be back to normal by now.

Even now she is still under the delusion that NSW has the toughest lockdown in Australia. It doesn't take much to look up a few other government websites to see that isn't the case.

She's now saying September and October are going to be hard. I suspect they'll be bloody disasterous if the number of cases don't start dropping.🤬

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I suppose you got that conclusion out of your own private crystal ball. Wait and see what happens to Vic and Qld in the next few weeks and see how accurate that ball is.

No, just from the bleeding obvious.

We are indeed waiting to see what happens in Vic and Qld as the virus spreads out of NSW.

Thanks Gladys!

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

You just have to look at the statistics for this year.

Queensland. Hard lockdowns as soon as cases appear. Duration of outbreaks relatively short. Daily number of cases low and always below 20.

Victoria. Hard lockdowns as soon as cases appear. Daily number of cases low and always below 30. Lockdown tightened recently as cases numbers not dropping quickly enough.

NSW. ignored first warning signs and didn't put in a lockdown, which was very soft, until a week or so later. Tightened the lockdown slightly a couple of weeks later for most of Greater Sydney, and fairly strict for specific LGAs. However there were still big loopholes in the restrictions but the Premier claimed it was the toughest lockdown ever. Sydney numbers climbed, the virus escaped into regional NSW. So the "toughest" lockdown was tightened yet again, finally closing two of the travel loopholes. But the numbers are still rising and there are still loopholes. 633 cases today. My guess is we will be still higher this time next week. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, sewgood said:

Rising so fast now there doesn't appear to be a brake on.

I feel the events in NSW and the way outbreaks were handled in Vic and Qld, demonstrate that the short sharp lockdown is the best way to go.

Although, as Russel21 says, we will wait and see what happens in Vic and Qld, but of course, the concern is that the virus will be brought across the border now that it has spread throughout NSW.

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

the concern is that the virus will be brought across the border now that it has spread throughout NSW.

I thought one gurus hear implied that the early lockdowns were infallible and the perfect answer to the problem.

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

ask Dan Andrews for advice.

A wise person once told me to be careful in choosing your heroes. If you had said Queensland or WA or SA or maybe even NT, or NZ I could understand. 

Anyway we all need to follow the rules & I realise that I am preaching to the converted on here - it's the others that are the problem.

3 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

I thought one gurus hear implied that the early lockdowns were infallible and the perfect answer to the problem.

Then you heard wrong. What I said was:

"The best that has been come up with so far is "go hard, go fast" on lockdowns."

"Your Premier squibbed it."

There is no prefect answer, there are only imperfect ones to varying degrees. As Gladys found out.

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

She also has enough brains to also consider the economic cost, all that is being lost and paid out as support is a bill that will have to eventually be paid. Some people think that Governments have an unlimited money supply, and are shocked to learn that managing a countries finances is a giant version of managing on a household income.

The economic cost is best minimised by getting the pandemic under control.  That, all the economists can agree upon.

• Like 1

The latest on the outbreak in Auckland.

• Genomic testing has shown that this outbreak originated in NSW
  • But how a 58 yo man in Devonport got it is currently unknown
  • There are currently fewer that 10 cases
  • But modelling is predicting between 60-120 cases if it is in its 3rd generation.
  • Currently all cases are in AKL but the man concerned spent a weekend in the Coromandel so watch this space.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/449390/live-covid-19-updates-nz-in-alert-level-4-lockdown-as-more-cases-revealed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The latest on the outbreak in Auckland.

• Genomic testing has shown that this outbreak originated in NSW
  • But how a 58 yo man in Devonport got it is currently unknown
  • There are currently fewer that 10 cases
  • But modelling is predicting between 60-120 cases if it is in its 3rd generation.
  • Currently all cases are in AKL but the man concerned spent a weekend in the Coromandel so watch this space.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/449390/live-covid-19-updates-nz-in-alert-level-4-lockdown-as-more-cases-revealed

It seems very similar to the ACT outbreak, genomic  testing shows it is from Sydney  but no known link at this  stage, currently 6 days in and 67 cases so far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It seems very similar to the ACT outbreak, genomic  testing shows it is from Sydney  but no known link at this  stage, currently 6 days in and 67 cases so far.

Well the whole country is in Level 4 lockdown.  The govt messaging is very clear.  It's up to the people now.  I went to the supermarket, everyone looked unhappy.  People hate uncertainty.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

A wise person once told me to be careful in choosing your heroes. If you had said Queensland or WA or SA or maybe even NT, or NZ I could understand. 

Anyway we all need to follow the rules & I realise that I am preaching to the converted on here - it's the others that are the problem.

I chose Dan Andrews quite deliberately. Victoria is the only other state to have gone through a big, out of control, outbreak and goy it under control. He was at the helm then. Him and his team learnt a lot in that big outbreak and have demonstrated their acquired knowledge since them with great success. Even now he's fine tuning the current lockdown to maximize it's effectiveness. 

Unlike the NSW government whose lockdown still has loopholes. How high will the case numbers go here? I would not be surprised if they top 1000 cases per day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Unlike the NSW government whose lockdown still has loopholes. How high will the case numbers go here? I would not be surprised if they top 1000 cases per day.

Wont have long to wait to find out. Tomorrow?

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Wont have long to wait to find out. Tomorrow?

Now that's the answer to "Who's the pitcher .... No, Who is on first" that famous old Abbot and Costello routine.  Who is on first, What is on second, I Dunno is on third and ... Tomorra is the pitcher."

If you don't know the routine, here it is ....

Yep, time for us all to calm down and have a laugh.  Warning everyone, this thread is moving to be removed (politics and all that jazz).  No I will not report.  Just settle down and have a laugh ... or if you don't, a mental breakdown might ensue!

5 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I feel the events in NSW and the way outbreaks were handled in Vic and Qld, demonstrate that the short sharp lockdown is the best way to go.

Although, as Russel21 says, we will wait and see what happens in Vic and Qld, but of course, the concern is that the virus will be brought across the border now that it has spread throughout NSW.

Well, it's spread a couple of times already into Victoria and now spread into New Zealand. The responsibility of keeping the numbers under control is not just to the people under the management of state leaders, but is also a responsibility to the rest of Australia and to our near neighbours. 

NSW is now a raging bushfire - I can't imagine how this will finish.

15 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Well, it's spread a couple of times already into Victoria and now spread into New Zealand. The responsibility of keeping the numbers under control is not just to the people under the management of state leaders, but is also a responsibility to the rest of Australia and to our near neighbours. 

NSW is now a raging bushfire - I can't imagine how this will finish.

We have to hope. Last year there was an out of control outbreak in Victoria but they squashed it in the end. I just wish NSW would toughen up.