The vaccination olympics

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I was starting to get depressed so stopped sharing numbers.

But the last three new cases are 82, 83 and 53 respectively.  So, maybe, numbers are plateauing.  I know it could just be a small respite.  

Otherwise, looking forward to moving to level 3 on Wednesday here in Tauranga.  Planning for contactless takeaways and deliveries.  I am also teaching from home so it's all very busy.

Check out our numbers in NSW😱, then you'll feel like a winner 🤪

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I was starting to get depressed so stopped sharing numbers.

But the last three new cases are 82, 83 and 53 respectively.  So, maybe, numbers are plateauing.  I know it could just be a small respite.  

Otherwise, looking forward to moving to level 3 on Wednesday here in Tauranga.  Planning for contactless takeaways and deliveries.  I am also teaching from home so it's all very busy.

I understand....   things are not looking so good..... I still dream of cruising back to NZ one day, and walk around Mount Maunganui again......

I think the biggest thing  is.... not having a trip to look forward...    I fear our trip across Bass Strait for our 25th Celebration in late Oct is looking shaky.....

So for the meantime  looked at the photos on the wall....  and remember the great times

Don     soon to have G&T 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I have such respect for the people in Melbourne.  How have they done this six times?  

I think, for us, each time is harder but we try to stay positive, follow the rules and stay home except for an occasional trip to the shopping centre and out for a walk. We are lucky we have a front and back garden to sit in or work in so we are looking forward to spring. My husband is getting his veggie patch ready to plant. I think the key is to find something to do each day. We have tidied cupcaords, drawers and wardrobes and thrown out stuff we don't need any more (and had forgotten about). We have replaced blinds in two rooms and have another to do. 

We stay in contact with friends and family through phone calls, video calls and messages. We both have hobbies, so spend time on those as well. 

People in Victoria are becoming complacent, you can see it with the amount of cars on the road, the number of people not wearing masks and posts on social media.

Good luck.

My 43-year-old daughter had her Pfizer shot late yesterday. She had an appointment with a clinic around an hour's drive away for 21st September. Last week she put her name down on a wait-list with her own GP, hoping to get an earlier appointment. Yesterday afternoon they phoned to say they had a vacancy. She was absolutely delighted.

This morning she is quite unwell and last night her arm was so sore she couldn't even have the doona on it. She followed the advice an Immunologist gave my sister-in-law - drink plenty of water before and after and take an antihistamine and also Panadol. Anyway, she is all up-beat because she knows these side-effects are temporary.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My 43-year-old daughter had her Pfizer shot late yesterday. She had an appointment with a clinic around an hour's drive away for 21st September. Last week she put her name down on a wait-list with her own GP, hoping to get an earlier appointment. Yesterday afternoon they phoned to say they had a vacancy. She was absolutely delighted.

This morning she is quite unwell and last night her arm was so sore she couldn't even have the doona on it. She followed the advice an Immunologist gave my sister-in-law - drink plenty of water before and after and take an antihistamine and also Panadol. Anyway, she is all up-beat because she knows these side-effects are temporary.

Ouch! It might take a few days for her arm to stop hurting. It was four days until I could sleep comfortably on mine after my first AZ vaccination. She might find she has a lump for a while to but it will slowly diminish in size. 

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Ouch! It might take a few days for her arm to stop hurting. It was four days until I could sleep comfortably on mine after my first AZ vaccination. She might find she has a lump for a while to but it will slowly diminish in size. 

Thank you. I will pass that info on. She works part time but this morning she told me she re-booked the clients she had for today. They all understood. She just didn't feel she could work. I told her to 'listen to her body' and rest.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thank you. I will pass that info on. She works part time but this morning she told me she re-booked the clients she had for today. They all understood. She just didn't feel she could work. I told her to 'listen to her body' and rest.

Yes, lethargy can also be a problem for a day or so after vaccination.

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, lethargy can also be a problem for a day or so after vaccination.

She has that also. She knows the side-effects can last a couple of days.

I have heard that the second Pfizer shot can result in worse side effects. If that is the case, she will probably schedule it near the end of the week so she has a few days to recover before work on Monday. That was her plan for the first shot, but when the appointment became available, she grabbed it.

44 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I'm glad your daughter was able to get her Pfizer earlier but sorry she is experiencing some side effects. I hope she feels better soon. Maybe some anti-inflammatory may help to reduce the inflammation. Not recommended prior to the vaccination but okay afterwards.

My two sons managed to get theirs last week. My eldest son said the next day how he was surprised how relieved he felt afterwards knowing he had started the journey to full vaccination. He didn't realise how subconsciously worried he had been about Covid until that point. 

Both my sons were not able to initially get vaccine appointments initially until late September and early October but they checked back every few days on the government booking schedules and some earlier ones opened up so they were able to reschedule and get it much earlier.

1 hour ago, frantic36 said:

I'm glad your daughter was able to get her Pfizer earlier but sorry she is experiencing some side effects. I hope she feels better soon. Maybe some anti-inflammatory may help to reduce the inflammation. Not recommended prior to the vaccination but okay afterwards.

My two sons managed to get theirs last week. My eldest son said the next day how he was surprised how relieved he felt afterwards knowing he had started the journey to full vaccination. He didn't realise how subconsciously worried he had been about Covid until that point. 

Both my sons were not able to initially get vaccine appointments initially until late September and early October but they checked back every few days on the government booking schedules and some earlier ones opened up so they were able to reschedule and get it much earlier.

Thanks for the suggestion of an anti-inflammatory. Glad your sons have been able to their their shots.

I think this is a big thing.... when you realize... excitement of getting your second shot...

for us Monday next week.....

At least one will feel a bit better..... but know   that we have a long and winding road ahead...

To wherever it leads.......    ( hopefully further than 5km.....lol )

Don......  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I think this is a big thing.... when you realize... excitement of getting your second shot...

At least one will feel a bit better..... but know   that we have a long and winding road ahead...

Don......  

I have a little trouble with driving the 5km.

Half of it is underwater.

F3D2D6B2-3FF2-42EF-A99C-A7B780EA520E.thumb.png.3e2b5ef4d94f88cb0c4c78f8dc89c872.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

I have a little trouble with driving the 5km.

Half of it is underwater.

F3D2D6B2-3FF2-42EF-A99C-A7B780EA520E.thumb.png.3e2b5ef4d94f88cb0c4c78f8dc89c872.png

I have a little more land to drive my 5 km.

Screenshot 2021-08-31 20.26.54.png

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

It's the first day of Spring!  Also, our first day of contactless takeaways as we move into Alert level 3 (except not Auckland).  49 cases yesterday, all in Auckland,  which means that it is dropping (at the moment).  Restaurant is all ready to go.  My poor daughter is stressed out and probably didn't sleep at all.  She manages the restaurant.  Many protocols to adhere to.  I had to buy an expensive contactless thermometer as all staff are temperature checked as they arrive at work.  I don't think my life could get more complicated.  Watch this space.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Don......  

We both got our 2nd AZ jab this morning, spring is here & the sun is shining...... 🙂 I am on leave this week - needed a break from work, even though been mostly working from home since Easter last year! Making the best of the circumstances.

Mulch delivery coming today, so I'll be out in the garden.

Stay safe all

• Like 1

5 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

It's the first day of Spring!  Also, our first day of contactless takeaways as we move into Alert level 3 (except not Auckland).  49 cases yesterday, all in Auckland,  which means that it is dropping (at the moment).  Restaurant is all ready to go.  My poor daughter is stressed out and probably didn't sleep at all.  She manages the restaurant.  Many protocols to adhere to.  I had to buy an expensive contactless thermometer as all staff are temperature checked as they arrive at work.  I don't think my life could get more complicated.  Watch this space.

Good luck. Hopefully NZers will embrace takeaways in the same way locals here are - on some nights they've had to turn their phones off half way through the evening because they are swamped with orders.😊 our local fish and chip shop guy reckons they do better in lockdown than in normal life.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Good luck with it all, at least you will have an income, albeit reduced from normal.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 11:26 AM, Aus Traveller said:

She has that also. She knows the side-effects can last a couple of days.

I have heard that the second Pfizer shot can result in worse side effects. If that is the case, she will probably schedule it near the end of the week so she has a few days to recover before work on Monday. That was her plan for the first shot, but when the appointment became available, she grabbed it.

My 45 year old daughter has had both Pfizer shots and the first was the worst for both her and SIL. So, fingers crossed the second will be kinder to your daughter. My daughter got her Vax with our family GP.

I do think the sore arm has more to do with how the vaccine is injected, rather than a side effect of the vaccine itself. My first shot I had a very sore arm and a lump, the second - the nurse spent time relaxing my arm before the shot and my arm felt much better.

Hope your daughter is over the ill effects soon, not nice for her to feel so off colour 🤔💕

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

We both got our 2nd AZ jab this morning, spring is here & the sun is shining...... 🙂 I am on leave this week - needed a break from work, even though been mostly working from home since Easter last year! Making the best of the circumstances.

Mulch delivery coming today, so I'll be out in the garden.

Stay safe all

After my second AZ I didn't have any side effects at all only a slightly tender arm when moved in some directions for the next day.

No tireness at all unlike the first dose.

Hopefully you won't have any side effects either.

Enjoy the beautiful weather today, I will be after the rain.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:26 AM, Docker123 said:

This is how …

4ACD8F99-B984-4533-A3D1-C9E95686DD4B.jpeg.45bd1db44dc6368b13ce7f1d34faff0a.jpeg

Thanks for the photo Adrian..... glad to see no wine was split......

But now feeling very much like this... what is the point

so no further than 5km till late September... than we get to go 10km........

Honestly... what is the point.......  well homemade Pizza with Shiraz   tonight..   and only thing left to look forward is dinner...... then groundhog day......

Don 

• Like 1