The vaccination olympics

1 hour ago, LC1950 said:

Now that's the answer to "Who's the pitcher .... No, Who is on first" that famous old Abbot and Costello routine.  Who is on first, What is on second, I Dunno is on third and ... Tomorra is the pitcher."

If you don't know the routine, here it is ....

Yep, time for us all to calm down and have a laugh.  Warning everyone, this thread is moving to be removed (politics and all that jazz).  No I will not report.  Just settle down and have a laugh ... or if you don't, a mental breakdown might ensue!

Hopefully those that view this thread will realise that the discussion is friendly, that pollie bashing is a friendly and honourable national sport here and, anyway, what else can we talk about when we haven't got the likelihood any cruising here any time soon.

I guess we could discuss the merits of butter?

We can't have chair hog discussions because too many states are in lockdown so using chairs in public is a no no.

We already regularly have discussions on food and wine.

Excursions are banned in some places.

The entertainment depends on what music you play at home or which TV shows you watch.

So what else can we talk about? 🤔🙄

Question ……… how did someone from NSW get INTO NZ in the first place, when travel to NZ has been stopped for weeks now? Wouldn’t someone even with an exemption have to quarantine? Who dropped this ball? 

And just on NSW, we have friends in essential work in Sydney who have been car pooling from Wollongong each day. Just two of them, who work together every day - but NSW now can’t car pool, so the younger one has to catch the train, with dozens of others. 

This makes sooooo much sense …… not 😡

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

And just on NSW, we have friends in essential work in Sydney who have been car pooling from Wollongong each day. Just two of them, who work together every day - but NSW now can’t car pool, so the younger one has to catch the train, with dozens of others. 

This makes sooooo much sense …… not 😡

Car pooling was already not allowed during lockdowns. Could have been in Vic which leads the pack of States in common sense.

police union in Vic complaining about play equipment being taped up. Qld had play equipment and exercise equipment taped up during first outbreak. It is about keeping people safe by not gathering near the equipment!

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Question ……… how did someone from NSW get INTO NZ in the first place, when travel to NZ has been stopped for weeks now? Wouldn’t someone even with an exemption have to quarantine? Who dropped this ball? 

We would have to blame NZ, after all they let him in, unless he swam there.

19 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

OMG! 633 cases and (as you say) probably rising. 😢

So many cases and subsequent hospitalizations in NSW.  Our hospitals are becoming overwhelmed.  Time for the federal govt to get involved and transfer some of these sick people to hospitals in other states to share the load.  This is a national disaster.  If the state premiers won't wear it, write some legislation that permits dispersal of state hospital patients in times of emergency, like now.

Gladys B has to get tougher, implement a curfew at least in SW Sydney and put a ring of steel around that area, no one in, no one out. Excepting for essential supplies and services.  Problem is a lot of those people living in that area are 'night people,' having worked in that area.

Edited by NSWP

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I chose Dan Andrews quite deliberately.

My very last comment on this I promise.

In lining up the relative merits of actions by all the various leaders and their teams (although the focus of this discussion seems focused on the leaders), for me the overall numbers for the pandemic as listed under the heading "Deaths" is stark.

Peace & good health to all.

57 minutes ago, NSWP said:

So many cases and subsequent hospitalizations in NSW.  Our hospitals are becoming overwhelmed. 

Yes, I think that all the planning etc from earlier in the pandemic in having extra IC beds, COVID wards, ventilators & the push to suppress the virus to buy time to put all this in place worked, but now it seems the infectioness (is that a word?) of delta has taken it's toll on staff, which was probably not factored in, at least to the extent it seems to be having.

Thankyou to all the front line staff for their efforts in these difficult times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

police union in Vic complaining about play equipment being taped up. Qld had play equipment and exercise equipment taped up during first outbreak. It is about keeping people safe by not gathering near the equipment!

Last year Sydney had playgrounds etc taped up. Some councils put sand in the bottom of the skate bowls to prevent kids just ducking under the tape. Not so this time around yesterday I noted playgrounds full of kids and about a dozen older kids using the skate bowl in my local area.

Based on the posts regarding the current situation, all I can say is that with the very likelihood of this being the norm for a while yet a hell of a lot of fine tuning has to be done in the exemptions for travel area, lest there be more problems than currently exist. Common sense should prevail when it comes to judging whether a particular action is a break in the rules or a permissible stretching of said rules. The current rules, admittedly imposed in haste, are too sweeping and generalised.

11 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Based on the posts regarding the current situation, all I can say is that with the very likelihood of this being the norm for a while yet a hell of a lot of fine tuning has to be done in the exemptions for travel area, lest there be more problems than currently exist. Common sense should prevail when it comes to judging whether a particular action is a break in the rules or a permissible stretching of said rules. The current rules, admittedly imposed in haste, are too sweeping and generalised.

Here's another example of NSW lockdown stupidity - taken from the NSW goverment website.

In the Greater Sydney area except the high risk LGAs you are allowed to "exercise and take outdoor recreation within your local government area or, if you need to cross into another local government area, stay within 5km of your home.

Under a section of questions about the lockdown rules it then states:

Recreation includes outdoor leisure activities such as sitting for relaxation, or to eat, drink or read outdoors.

Which explains why so many local parks are full of people sitting around chatting, drinking coffee, and reading while others move rapidly past those people while exercising. No masks in sight. 

As I've said before, there are too many stupid loopholes like this!

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I just went down to my local chemist in Batehaven to get some scripts filled, NO, not Dan Murphy lol !  So in the big playground there were kids playing on the apparatus, mothers sitting around drinking lattes and behold, 5 council garbage trucks parked and their crews standing around, drinking coffees, no problem with morning coffee but a mob of workers shoulder to shoulder does not look right at this time.

End of rant, time for a Nescafe Blend 43 dark roast...and a couple of Woollies GF Mint Creme choc bikkies. ..at home.

Julie how do you think we feel living in, since the recent unpopular forced amalgamation, the largest local government area in the greater Sydney area. I Live 15Km from the Northern end, and it tales a solid 2 hours of driving to get to the most Southern end. Our family doctor is 15Km away. We went for our second Covid shot yesterday and got pulled up on the way, I informed the Constable that I would also be going again today, and I think he thought I was trying to put something over him regarding travel. He backed down rather smartly when I offered him my phone to ring the Medical Practice to check.

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I just went down to my local chemist in Batehaven to get some scripts filled, NO, not Dan Murphy lol !  So in the big playground there were kids playing on the apparatus, mothers sitting around drinking lattes and behold, 5 council garbage trucks parked and their crews standing around, drinking coffees, no problem with morning coffee but a mob of workers shoulder to shoulder does not look right at this time.

End of rant, time for a Nescafe Blend 43 dark roast...and a couple of Woollies GF Mint Creme choc bikkies. ..at home.

Yeah it does get up your nose when you are doing the right thing and suffering from the stupidity of the ignorant.

The only thing that saved you at the end there was the Mint Bickies, but please at least get a plunger and some good ground beans and drink some better coffee. 🙂

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Yeah it does get up your nose when you are doing the right thing and suffering from the stupidity of the ignorant.

The only thing that saved you at the end there was the Mint Bickies, but please at least get a plunger and some good ground beans and drink some better coffee. 🙂

I do have a plunger, but I only have that at brekky using Vittoria ground coffee, lol. One plunger infusion per day, otherwise my Atrial Fibrillation goes into overdrive.

Edited by NSWP

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Here's another example of NSW lockdown stupidity - taken from the NSW goverment website.

In the Greater Sydney area except the high risk LGAs you are allowed to "exercise and take outdoor recreation within your local government area or, if you need to cross into another local government area, stay within 5km of your home.

Under a section of questions about the lockdown rules it then states:

Recreation includes outdoor leisure activities such as sitting for relaxation, or to eat, drink or read outdoors.

Which explains why so many local parks are full of people sitting around chatting, drinking coffee, and reading while others move rapidly past those people while exercising. No masks in sight. 

As I've said before, there are too many stupid loopholes like this!

I think the concept of high risk LGAs should be scrapped. COVID is all the way up in Bourke, all of NSW is high risk IMO. You have two sets of rules which I think adds to confusion and complacency, if their not relegated as high risk people don't seem to treat it as seriously🤔

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I do have a plunger, but I only have that at brekky using Vittoria ground coffee, lol. One plunger infusion per day, otherwise my Atrial Fibrillation goes into overdrive.

I use the Vittoria Mountain Grown Beans and have a hand grinder, brew in a Cafeteria AKA Italian coffee pot. Only buy the beans when on special.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Here's a piece on our lockdown in the Guardian which contrasts the NZ govt response to that in NSW

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/18/arderns-covid-lockdown-finds-favour-as-new-zealand-watches-sydneys-delta-disaster

Wow those UK politicians giving Arden crap😲. Why don't they just stick to their own country and let NZ do what they need to do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

So many cases and subsequent hospitalizations in NSW.  Our hospitals are becoming overwhelmed.  Time for the federal govt to get involved and transfer some of these sick people to hospitals in other states to share the load.  This is a national disaster.  If the state premiers won't wear it, write some legislation that permits dispersal of state hospital patients in times of emergency, like now.

Gladys B has to get tougher, implement a curfew at least in SW Sydney and put a ring of steel around that area, no one in, no one out. Excepting for essential supplies and services.  Problem is a lot of those people living in that area are 'night people,' having worked in that area.

I think your comments were made tongue in cheek!  Would you really want your loved ones transferred away from you interstate?  We are a big country with few states/territories.  

5 hours ago, Porky55 said:

There's been a leak somewhere in the managed isolation system.  They have found Case 1.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/449503/watch-live-covid-19-outbreak-linked-to-australian-case-taken-to-middlemore-hospital

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Agreed Les....  walked to my chemist to get scripts filled yesterday  ( 5 minutes away ) and almost got ran over twice....once by. 3 children 12ish unmasked on bikes on the footpath  and then by two mother with pushers drinking coffee unmasked..to busy talking..

So today got a home delivery from Dan''s...so the front door is now barricaded with cases of wine.... lol

Don. 

1 minute ago, getting older slowly said:

So today got a home delivery from Dan''s...so the front door is now barricaded with cases of wine.... lol

Don. 

So you now can't leave home until it's all been used? 😆

2 hours ago, Cruisegroover said:

Last year Sydney had playgrounds etc taped up. Some councils put sand in the bottom of the skate bowls to prevent kids just ducking under the tape. Not so this time around yesterday I noted playgrounds full of kids and about a dozen older kids using the skate bowl in my local area.

Our local playgrounds are all roped off here in Port Stephens.👍