"We will provide you with an electric scooter to use during your cruise, at no charge". IS THIS CORRECT??

Because of worsening mobility issues, it seems that I will need an electric scooter for our Oasis of the Seas cruise next May, 2022.  The gentleman that I spoke to very happily found us a great accessible room, and also told us that the cruise fare has gone down about $120, so he moved us to the new cabin, and adjusted the total amount due.  

He assured me several times that THEY (the ship) will be providing an electric scooter for me, right there at the ship! I can't find any info about this on the RCI sight, and even on the Special Needs Information form that I need to fill out, there's no spot for saying that I'd be using a scooter owned by RCI; it only asks what type of wheelchair or scooter that *I* would be bringing.  So, I'm confused.

Can any of you with mobility issues while cruising let me know what your experiences have been?  Thanks!!! 🥂

We have always had to rent one... 

I know there were 2 companies but I can only find one 
https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

EDIT: The only time RC provided us with a wheelchair is when I was injured on the ship 

Edited by LilBlackDress
  • Thanks 1

No. They won't provide you with one. You will have to rent and bring one from home or rent from one of the companies that provide them on ships. "Special Needs at Sea" is one. I don't recall the others. Compare prices. 

44 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

They have a limited number of wheelchairs on board.  Maybe they ran out???  

Sort of possible! I got injured in quest Friday night and cruise ended Sunday morning. Neither me nor my friend thought to talk to someone before we left for medical and he had to hunt one down once we got to the same deck because I couldn't hobble anymore. (And we were both sober so no excuse for being that stupid to not show a crew member that my ankle had already swollen to where it looked lie a tennis ball was sitting on it). So I used one to get there that he somehow (bless him) found, but when I left an hour or so later they were like here's your crutches! Maybe it was one of their last ones? But man does Oasis class suck on crutches! I only went as many places as I did the last sea day because new friends I met were ok giving me piggyback rides! And it still wasn't that many. I read a book and had a few drinks in schooner bar all afternoon. 

My comment was more a wheelchairs aren't guaranteed even if injured. 

Edited by smplybcause

You can also bring your own scooter.  Yes, you can also rent one & have it waiting in your stateroom then just leave it there at the end of the cruise. 

My husband brings his scooter & his rollator.  It's easier for him to use the rollator when we go out on excursions.  Your insurance might help you with the cost of either.  He uses both on occasion when we go out from home.  If your issues don't improve you'll find it useful at home when you go out anywhere.  You might actually get your moneys worth out of it.

Prices vary for scooters depending on used or new.  If you drive to the port, it's easy to throw it in the car.  They do fold up or disassemble.  Then you can ride it on board at embarcation & disembarcation as well as on the ship.  I have met people who brought it with them on the plane if flying.

You could go the the handicap forum for more information.

Sorry this is so long a response.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Sort of possible! I got injured in quest Friday night and cruise ended Sunday morning. Neither me nor my friend thought to talk to someone before we left for medical and he had to hunt one down once we got to the same deck because I couldn't hobble anymore. (And we were both sober so no excuse for being that stupid to not show a crew member that my ankle had already swollen to where it looked lie a tennis ball was sitting on it). So I used one to get there that he somehow (bless him) found, but when I left an hour or so later they were like here's your crutches! Maybe it was one of their last ones? But man does Oasis class suck on crutches! I only went as many places as I did the last sea day because new friends I met were ok giving me piggyback rides! And it still wasn't that many. I read a book and had a few drinks in schooner bar all afternoon. 

My comment was more a wheelchairs aren't guaranteed even if injured. 

Its possible they ran out, the other possibility is my injury was caused by the ship, not a passenger accident? .
The shower door, fell off the track on the top forcing the track on the bottom to pop out and it rolled over my foot. It was on Indy... Nice way to spend a honeymoon!! LOL 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

Its possible they ran out, the other possibility is my injury was caused by the ship, not a passenger accident? .
The shower door, fell off the track on the top forcing the track on the bottom to pop out and it rolled over my foot. It was on Indy... Nice way to spend a honeymoon!! LOL 

Oh no! That's horrible to happen on a honeymoon! They didn't charge me anything for it (based on the rates they had posted should have been $1000-2000 or so, I was in pain so a bit out of what all they did). Though the officer that came down to take my report after I told the nurse I got injured at quest was muttering something like "I hate quest, so much paperwork" as he filled out the incident report.

Which that wasn't my first quest, but looking back the way they were doing some quests was stupid on Oasis. A year later on the same ship and quest was quite different. They could have made it way safer with one alteration instead of making it more boring a year later. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SeaSprayTB said:

Because of worsening mobility issues, it seems that I will need an electric scooter for our Oasis of the Seas cruise next May, 2022.  The gentleman that I spoke to very happily found us a great accessible room, and also told us that the cruise fare has gone down about $120, so he moved us to the new cabin, and adjusted the total amount due.  

He assured me several times that THEY (the ship) will be providing an electric scooter for me, right there at the ship! I can't find any info about this on the RCI sight, and even on the Special Needs Information form that I need to fill out, there's no spot for saying that I'd be using a scooter owned by RCI; it only asks what type of wheelchair or scooter that *I* would be bringing.  So, I'm confused.

Can any of you with mobility issues while cruising let me know what your experiences have been?  Thanks!!! 🥂

I have never heard of such a thing.  Definitely confirm this at a higher level.   I seriously doubt it is accurate.  My mother requires a scooter and has cruised a bunch on suites.  Never has one been offered or provided.   Verify and come prepared imo.  

• Like 1

Here is an interview with Ron Petit who is the head of ADA compliance for RCI and he talks about their programs, and he does not mention providing a scooter, and I am sure if they did he would have mentioned it. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

I had to bring one for my wife.  The only good thing was that we sailed from Bayonne and drove the scooter.

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

Meant, we drove and brought the scooter with us.🤪

How far did that poor scooter have to go?? Did you need to recharge it ??🤣😂