Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

On our latest cruise was last December, on Viking Star. After the first night (they are usually more lax on embarkation day) the staff at the Restaurant did enforce the dress code, which we apprecieated. It is not hard to change into trousers before going to dinner or a show. I agree with the comment about making polo shirts your least-dressy shirt, but I do take a few T-shirts to go to the pool, spa or gym.

On 7/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, Clay Clayton said:

We had our first sighting of the rare bathrobed senior citizen at the Living Room bar this afternoon aboard Saturn😂

Sadly I see guests wearing bathrobes on every cruise. It looks ridiculous.  Maybe some cruisers need to be reminded that wearing a bathrobe is only acceptable in the cabin. Cruise lines might attach a label that says “ to be used only in your cabin.” 

Since the pandemic, dress codes have become relaxed. The only thing that I have seen I forced was no shorts in the restaurant.  Shorts are ok in the buffet at dinner. On Viking, some ports have excursions that are late in the afternoon.  On my next cruise, we arrive in a port late afternoon. Our excursion is 3 pm to 6 pm.  There are time slots that are later. We will be in Iceland and Greenland. You can bet that guests will go to dinner wearing jeans.  I don’t have a problem with guests wearing jeans. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Here we go again after a year!   I better go out and get more popcorn!

The never ending topic - like politics you'll find strong opinionated people at both extremes.

It seems this topic is mostly brought by people who want to wear jeans against Viking policy and are looking for validation / support / rationale / loophole.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

We will be in Iceland and Greenland. You can bet that guests will go to dinner wearing jeans.  I don’t have a problem with guests wearing jeans. 

We're heading to Iceland in a few days and from some of the travel videos I've watched the recommendation is leave the jeans at home. They get wet and uncomfortable. Instead a base layer and waterproof pants is recommended, which is what we are bringing. For onboard ship it's slacks. No jeans this trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ctrous said:

I understand the no jeans rule. I do see many people commenting that black or dark brown denim is fine. Do folks agree?

No!!

The "Rig of the Day" clearly states "No Jeans" after 18:00, except in the World Cafe. It doesn't specify any colour. If pax wish to wear jeans perhaps they should look for an alternative cruise line, until Viking change their policy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We're heading to Iceland in a few days and from some of the travel videos I've watched the recommendation is leave the jeans at home. They get wet and uncomfortable. Instead a base layer and waterproof pants is recommended, which is what we are bringing. For onboard ship it's slacks. No jeans this trip.

If you plan on hiking, the recommendations are waterproof clothing and shoes.  I don’t hike.  I like to stay dry.

1 hour ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It seems this topic is mostly brought by people who want to wear jeans against Viking policy and are looking for validation / support / rationale / loophole.

I am simply interested in what people think and not looking for any validation, support rationale or loophole. Clearly this is a trigger topic for people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sadly I see guests wearing bathrobes on every cruise. It looks ridiculous.  Maybe some cruisers need to be reminded that wearing a bathrobe is only acceptable in the cabin. Cruise lines might attach a label that says “ to be used only in your cabin.” 

What should I wear to the pool then?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ctrous said:

I am simply interested in what people think and not looking for any validation, support rationale or loophole. Clearly this is a trigger topic for people.

Personally I don’t care if people wear jeans or not, but if you have to ask if people think you can away with something, it seems like a loophole. If you have to ask then assume it counts. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ctrous said:

It’s actually an ongoing joke. Across all cruise lines. Always someone who wants to be “special “ and wear whatever suits them in spite of any published requirements.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

You are absolutely right, jeans are impractical and inappropriate on the ship, however, I have spent much of my life on land wearing jeans and they are for me quite comfortable.   Last trip (Hong Kong to Vancouver) I managed to leave them behind and regretted it both ways on the plane and certainly in Alaska.

1 hour ago, Messybill said:

You are absolutely right, jeans are impractical and inappropriate on the ship, however, I have spent much of my life on land wearing jeans and they are for me quite comfortable.   Last trip (Hong Kong to Vancouver) I managed to leave them behind and regretted it both ways on the plane and certainly in Alaska.

Oh please.  Let me take my jeans with impunity.  I always take four pair in different colors, blue, black, grey, and wheat. I live in them at home and on shore ex.  I always have.  BUT, I have only worn them once in The Restaurant or the specialty restaurants, when our suitcases arrived wet.  Had to have everything cleaned, which happened very quickly thanks to Viking.  I work black jeans with a silk tunic to dinner and nobody noticed.   

• Like 1

So, now my question is (and I know this is the wrong forum, but we are well traveled here), we are taking our first River cruise this fall.  I understand that the dinner dress is more casual.  Can one wear jeans?  I can’t imagine traveling on a cruise without dress pants or a skirt or dress.  

6 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

So, now my question is (and I know this is the wrong forum, but we are well traveled here), we are taking our first River cruise this fall.  I understand that the dinner dress is more casual.  Can one wear jeans?  I can’t imagine traveling on a cruise without dress pants or a skirt or dress.  

River cruising is much more casual in general, and I will say that the destination will somewhat determine the dress in the dining room in the evening...

The Nile, was very relaxed, but on European River Cruises, we still see people "dressing" for dinner and by that I mean following Viking's dress code.

3 hours ago, 2blueyam said:

What about bib overalls? They aren't jeans. 😀

Had a big fat guy with long bushy beard wear bib overalls most days on the last World Cruise. If you can think it, it’s probably been worn.😱

• Haha 1

I personally do have "jeans" but not the traditional blue.  I have migrated to the type that are more "dress" in nature and colour and very stretchy.

BUT, I still will never follow anyone that wears them on an airplane or when they want to be warm.  Jeans to me are utility pants / trousers that are not built for comfort.  And for someone that lives in -20C winter weather half the year, I would never wear jeans to be warm.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Had a big fat guy with long bushy beard wear bib overalls most days on the last World Cruise. If you can think it, it’s probably been worn.😱

#NeptuneGetsEverything

• Like 3
  • Haha 2