Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

9 minutes ago, SarahDevorah said:

Great question Gracie115. Looking forward to hear from the Viking experienced.

Heidi, once again (I've actually said this three times, but I think people only read the equivalent of sound bites these days.) a dress code will never prevent me from booking an intinerary I like a lot. My only concern was the attitude of typical Viking passengers. From this forum, I feel more comfortable. People seem pretty down to earth. Not all, for sure! But most, and that's good enough for me!

Again, to explain... I have some great friends who've sailed with Viking. One family are educated, middle class, and mild in personality - they said it was "nice," and have continued to sail. Another family, closer to me, are highly educated, very wealthy ranch owners but not mild in personality. They loved the tour but hated the passengers who they described as judgmental and snobby. I wanted to gauge the truth. My sense from the answers here, is there's a bit of both. I can live with that. 

I’m on the Viking Saturn right now, in the high Arctic (Svalbard, Norway). If there’s an elitist on this ship, I haven’t met or observed him or her. Of course, it’s hard to be an elitist in Svalbard. This place is known for walruses and polar bears, not snobby people.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On our Antarctic Expedition cruise in February, a vlogger showed up for breakfast in a white bunny suit.  A big, fuzzy, one piece jumpsuit complete with feet and ears.  She was traveling with her mother and apparently a very large suitcase.  No dress code for this lady, no judgment.

• Haha 1

Sarah - I thought about it more and now remember one snobbish guest on a Viking ocean cruise in 2019. She was staying in the Owner’s Suite and she made sure everyone knew that. But that was it for observing snobbery.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

I’m on the Viking Saturn right now, in the high Arctic (Svalbard, Norway). If there’s an elitist on this ship, I haven’t met or observed him or her. Of course, it’s hard to be an elitist in Svalbard. This place is known for walruses and polar bears, not snobby people.

I’m not sure how preferring that folks adhere to a dress code became snobbish or elitist.

Some of us would just like others to show just a little consideration for the published code and their fellow passengers.

My preferring not to see ripped jeans, pajama bottoms, muscle t-shirts or white robes in the dining room is in no way elitist - it’s common courtesy, which is something that appears to be lacking in the next generation of cruisers.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

I have never seen the allure of jeans. I wear them to mow my lawn only. Much prefer comfortable chinos.

I also don't travel with them.  Take up way more space than my travel pants, wrinkle, have unsecured pockets.  I have some travel pants that pack to very little, have secure pockets, wrinkles hang out in a few hours and they can be rinsed and dry quickly if needed.  Look pretty good too.🍸

• Like 2

And I am not anti jeans per se and wear them all the time in Arizona in the winter.  Considered dressy in the West.  Just that dress codes are part of cruising on most lines.  Dress codes are right up there with the mandatory safety talks.  Just part of going on certain cruise lines.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

I’m not sure how preferring that folks adhere to a dress code became snobbish or elitist.

Some of us would just like others to show just a little consideration for the published code and their fellow passengers.

My preferring not to see ripped jeans, pajama bottoms, muscle t-shirts or white robes in the dining room is in no way elitist - it’s common courtesy, which is something that appears to be lacking in the next generation of cruisers.

There are actually some very nice restaurants in Svalbard, each competing for the title of “most northerly restaurant in the world.” Whether any of them could be considered elitist is another matter altogether. From what we’ve seen, the dress code in town skews heavily toward expedition outfits and cold-weather clothing (not a single muscle shirt to be seen). Function rules in this part of the world, and I suspect that’s reflected in the sartorial choices at dinnertime.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

There are actually some very nice restaurants in Svalbard, each competing for the title of “most northerly restaurant in the world.” Whether any of them could be considered elitist is another matter altogether. From what we’ve seen, the dress code in town skews heavily toward expedition outfits and cold-weather clothing (not a single muscle shirt to be seen). Function rules in this part of the world, and I suspect that’s reflected in the sartorial choices at dinnertime.

Ha, reminds me of when I worked in Alaska.  In the winter all my outerwear looked like it was made from sleeping bags...🍺

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

I have never seen the allure of jeans. I wear them to mow my lawn only. Much prefer comfortable chinos.

What one prefers isn't the question at hand. 

The core of a dress code policy is what one dislikes so much to prohibit.

I would rather be seated next to a quiet table of diners in ripped jeans, baseball caps and muscle shirts than next to a table of exceptionally well-dressed loud talkers or people having full volume FaceTime calls at the table.  If we are focusing on the "dress code as common courtesy" angle, can we loosen up the dress code and tighten up the behaviour code?

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

I would rather be seated next to a quiet table of diners in ripped jeans, baseball caps and muscle shirts than next to a table of exceptionally well-dressed loud talkers or people having full volume FaceTime calls at the table.  If we are focusing on the "dress code as common courtesy" angle, can we loosen up the dress code and tighten up the behaviour code?

Agree

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Must it be either/or?  Can you wear pants and talk quietly?

• Like 3

Now that we are in the midst of packing for our Viking Ocean Cruise I ran across this thread and am a bit puzzled about the “collared shirt rule”.  My husband has a few cashmere pullover sweaters he was planning to bring for fancier dinners, since his collared shirts tend to be short sleeved and less formal.  It sounds like the sweaters wouldn’t be allowed, and we should just leave them at home.  Is that true?

59 minutes ago, charmed1959 said:

Now that we are in the midst of packing for our Viking Ocean Cruise I ran across this thread and am a bit puzzled about the “collared shirt rule”.  My husband has a few cashmere pullover sweaters he was planning to bring for fancier dinners, since his collared shirts tend to be short sleeved and less formal.  It sounds like the sweaters wouldn’t be allowed, and we should just leave them at home.  Is that true?

No as long as he is wearing a collared shirt under them. 

I think the goal is to try to not have T-shirts.  I often wear short sleeve polos. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I think the goal is to try to not have T-shirts.  I often wear short sleeve polos. 

Totally agree - just no t-shirts. Collars include turtlenecks, cowls, and zippers in addition to traditional buttoned ones. I’ve worn all 4 types.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Are people actually doing that, or are you imaging people doing that?

How many people on Viking are under the age of 50 or 60?

14 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

Are people actually doing that, or are you imaging people doing that?

How many people on Viking are under the age of 50 or 60?

It would be tough to imagine something without first experiencing it.

Under 50-60 is better, but still very much a minority. Many are family members. Few are young couples.

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

If he could fit a collared shirt under them he would be skinny enough to bring his long sleeved dress shirts.  So, we’ll go with camp shirts and polos.

3 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

It would be tough to imagine something without first experiencing it.

Under 50-60 is better, but still very much a minority. Many are family members. Few are young couples.

Last year on our Empires Med cruise there were 2 tour groups: 1 of 30 people and another of 40 people.  None of them were over 30 years old.  The rest of us were in the 50-70 range.  We've done 2 cruises since then and it's pretty obvious that Viking is trying to cater to a younger demographic.  Rightly so I suppose.  Maybe it depends on the region.  Lots of muscles, muscle shirts, bikinis and speedos.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2023 at 5:47 AM, SarahDevorah said:

Great question Gracie115. Looking forward to hear from the Viking experienced.

Heidi, once again (I've actually said this three times, but I think people only read the equivalent of sound bites these days.) a dress code will never prevent me from booking an intinerary I like a lot. My only concern was the attitude of typical Viking passengers. From this forum, I feel more comfortable. People seem pretty down to earth. Not all, for sure! But most, and that's good enough for me!

Again, to explain... I have some great friends who've sailed with Viking. One family are educated, middle class, and mild in personality - they said it was "nice," and have continued to sail. Another family, closer to me, are highly educated, very wealthy ranch owners but not mild in personality. They loved the tour but hated the passengers who they described as judgmental and snobby. I wanted to gauge the truth. My sense from the answers here, is there's a bit of both. I can live with that. 

A point that no one really has made yet.

In our experience (13 Viking cruises), each and every cruise had a completely different feel and personality, as far as the passenger set was concerned.  We often are intrigued by what type an upcoming cruise will exhibit.  Ranges wildly !   So I don't think you can necessarily classify Viking Passengers.  Probably one commonality is most have a love and curiosity for travel and seeing new sights, and everyone has different opinions on food and entertainment!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1