Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

It's bizarre that people would not go on a cruise because they couldn't wear jeans, and others would not go on a cruise because others were wearing jeans.

Of course one persons workwear might be jeans, for me I don't associate jeans with work but I do shirt, tie and suit. The one thing I do feel is that when I have to put on a smart clothes during holiday I am reminded of going to work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Can’t wait for the next jeans thread in 2 weeks or so…😁😎🚶‍♂️

Maybe for a change we could have a discussion instead on whether baseball caps in dining rooms should be permitted in the evening.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Maybe for a change we could have a discussion instead on whether baseball caps in dining rooms should be permitted in the evening.

Yes please as I just can't understand why people do this. I must be missing some cultural aspect.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, boxman52 said:

It's bizarre that people would not go on a cruise because they couldn't wear jeans, and others would not go on a cruise because others were wearing jeans.

Of course one persons workwear might be jeans, for me I don't associate jeans with work but I do shirt, tie and suit. The one thing I do feel is that when I have to put on a smart clothes during holiday I am reminded of going to work.

That’s funny. I feel the same way. Dressing up feels like going to work, not vacation. We’re not retired, so it’s not a particularly enjoyable feeling. But it apparently makes things seem more special for many, and it’s part of Viking’s rules, so we do it. We did find ourselves eating often at the World Café, though. Just more relaxing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

I have a nice black dress baseball cap that should qualify…😉😎

Edited by CILCIANRQTS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Och aye!! me in the kilt an' the pipes wae you in the clogs. Braw sight for dining.😁

Better not tempt me.😁🍺

We had a formal night on a cruise so special that there's a special forum on CC   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/792-the-silhouetters/ . That forum probably exists because a man and his son did wear a kilt and IIRC a sword, etc. I was certainly not the only one telling him that they looked beautiful, but I was also the only one not taking pictures so unfortunately I can't attach any as proof. They were certainly the best dressed people for the night. So, go ahead, Heidi13!

5 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

We had a formal night on a cruise so special that there's a special forum on CC   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/792-the-silhouetters/ . That forum probably exists because a man and his son did wear a kilt and IIRC a sword, etc. I was certainly not the only one telling him that they looked beautiful, but I was also the only one not taking pictures so unfortunately I can't attach any as proof. They were certainly the best dressed people for the night. So, go ahead, Heidi13!

The sword was most likely a Sgian-dubh, which is part of the traditional Highland dress and is carried in the socks. When cruising, my dad wore full highland dress to dinner on formal nights.

Personally, although a Scot, I don't actually own, or wear a kilt. Last time was probably as a 3-year old.😀 Sadly, after 40 yrs in Canada, I don't even have much of an accent left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The sword was most likely a Sgian-dubh, which is part of the traditional Highland dress and is carried in the socks. When cruising, my dad wore full highland dress to dinner on formal nights.

Personally, although a Scot, I don't actually own, or wear a kilt. Last time was probably as a 3-year old.😀 Sadly, after 40 yrs in Canada, I don't even have much of an accent left.

Sgian-dubh is a small knife. Not even close to a sword.

Obviously from the posted comments, people in jeans have been seated at dinner.  Note the comment from the person who made her husband change from black jeans. Although the husband didn’t say anything in public, he probably may have annoyed at seeing the guy in blue jeans or more annoyed with his wife making him change.  Please just dress neatly and stop being a fashion police.    Most people do what they should.  It’s like wearing masks during the pandemic.  Most people wear them with covered nose and mouth. However, there are some that don’t.