Dine My Way & all new Dining questions since cruising restart!!

Host CJSKIDS

7 hours ago, Paccruise said:

I sailed on Discovery in May.  I had set dining time.  First night was fun with 2 other couples..  But due to random assigning never seat with them again even when they were in line.  I really did not like each night with different people.  Felt like I need a recorder to play "my name and place where I live".  

In the next weeks I trying another cruise line to see if it is the same...

You couldn't say "we're friends & would like to be seated together? That's poor customer service.

6 minutes ago, rbtan said:

You couldn't say "we're friends & would like to be seated together? That's poor customer service.

Apparently that works on some ships but not others.  Princess does not seem to have a consistent (or coherent) policy across the fleet.

• Like 1

Overall our 13 day Caribbean cruise was great but MDR table assignment was a weak link . We ate in all 3 MDR's and only once got the same wait staff . Disappointing . Food was generally good but service was an issue .

On 10/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, luvdaislands said:

Totally agree. On more than 50 cruises, never had a problem and always sat at same table, with same servers and mates. In time the cruise lines (& other businesses) will come to realize that favoring the bottom line over keeping their loyal customers happy costs them in the end. 

Fully agree but don't understand where the savings are for Princess . I get changing things to improve the bottom line but don't see how these changes save them any money .

• Like 2

Less "experienced" personnel, fewer overall employees = smaller payrolls with customers doing the work thru computer systems. I also believe many seasoned cruise employees- especially maître d's- retired or found other jobs closer to home & family. On two cruises last winter-Enchanted P & Carnival Mardi Gras- cabin stewards cut out nightly turn down service. They had fewer stewards covering more cabins, the entertainment was paired back as well and the menus reduced/cheapened- especially the "always available" alternates. Trying to get seconds or correcting a problem was more difficult due to fewer servers. For the poster who mentioned the maitre "d sent him to the purser to get seated with same folks at same time is a good example of what I say. That "maitre 'd does not understand the job to which he's assigned. Also charging for things previously gratis, i.e. internet, increases the bottom line.

Edited by luvdaislands
Added sentence.

On 9/27/2022 at 3:22 PM, Kay S said:

You are the lucky ones.

I am sailing mid Jan and understood that I could only be "green-lined" 45 days prior to cruise putting me at Dec 27 - Is it possible to do so earlier - Do i need to be green-lined to book my dining?  getting a bot nervous reading all of this.   Thanks much

On 10/23/2022 at 7:49 PM, kanadakid said:

I am sailing mid Jan and understood that I could only be "green-lined" 45 days prior to cruise putting me at Dec 27 - Is it possible to do so earlier - Do i need to be green-lined to book my dining?  getting a bot nervous reading all of this.   Thanks much

you can be green lined way earlier (I am for March 2024) & you can do dining without being green lined

while I don't doubt others experience as shared here & other places on CC, we have never had a problem getting the same table/waitstaff each night...we have cruised 3 times on 3 different ships this year & it has worked with minor hiccups on each ship, so while there can be problems, it is not guaranteed that there will be.

Edited by travelin.sisters

31 minutes ago, travelin.sisters said:

you can be green lined way earlier (I am for March 2024) & you can do dining without being green lined

while I don't doubt others experience as shared here & other places on CC, we have never had a problem getting the same table/waitstaff each night...we have cruised 3 times on 3 different ships this year & it has worked with minor hiccups on each ship, so while there can be problems, it is not guaranteed that there will be.

What time did you eat that you were able to get the same table every night?

9 minutes ago, Dbld777 said:

What time did you eat that you were able to get the same table every night?

I picked 6.20 because it is not too early, but they won't put anyone at your table before that because it is not enough time...if you pick 6.40 they will have a first seating at the table & then you will have to wait for them to finish (one of the hiccups we encountered).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DMW doesn’t seem to recognize cabin type changes. I have a booking in a suite for a future cruise and DMW shows access to club class. I was successful with an upgrade bid for a different cruise later this month where I was originally in a balcony and I’m now in a club class mini. 

I had previously made reservations through DMW when allocated a balcony and those reservations are still in place (probably a good thing as I might have wanted to keep those), but DMW is not recognizing that I now have access to club class dining.

4 hours ago, polmcs said:

DMW doesn’t seem to recognize cabin type changes. I have a booking in a suite for a future cruise and DMW shows access to club class. I was successful with an upgrade bid for a different cruise later this month where I was originally in a balcony and I’m now in a club class mini. 

I had previously made reservations through DMW when allocated a balcony and those reservations are still in place (probably a good thing as I might have wanted to keep those), but DMW is not recognizing that I now have access to club class dining.

Not really an issue, I would think. Your reservations will be cancelled 20 minutes after you don't show.

Once you are on board, perhaps a call to the Dine Line to cancel all your MDR reservations might be appreciated.

6 hours ago, polmcs said:

If you are in a club class cabin no issue. Just show up at the club class entrance with your medallion and be seated no need for reservations

7 hours ago, memoak said:

If you are in a club class cabin no issue. Just show up at the club class entrance with your medallion and be seated no need for reservations

Yes, but the question referred to reservations still in place for one of the MDRs.

16 hours ago, wowzz said:

Not really an issue, I would think. Your reservations will be cancelled 20 minutes after you don't show.

Once you are on board, perhaps a call to the Dine Line to cancel all your MDR reservations might be appreciated.

I will go online after the upgrade payment confirmation is sent and delete my MDR reservations. Well, through the web portal as that reservation in the app keeps cr@piping out. Still waiting on Princess getting back to me on that one. I see 5 green ticks and then it bombs out on me and tells me to link the reservation.  Uploading VAX details is impossible as even the web portal doesn’t work.

What is the best way to combine specialty dining reservations with another couple listed as a Traveling Companion? We each made our own reservations in DMW for the same reservation time (so that we each paid for our own using OBC), but now it just looks like we have two separate reservations. Mine is for 4 people and the other reservation is for 2, but we need a 6-top.

Can this be resolved pre-cruise? My TA gave me the number 1-800-774-6237 to call to accomplish this, but I called the number four days ago and pressed the option for a callback, and I never received a call.

Any other ideas?

1 hour ago, Blue_Flame said:

What is the best way to combine specialty dining reservations with another couple listed as a Traveling Companion? We each made our own reservations in DMW for the same reservation time (so that we each paid for our own using OBC), but now it just looks like we have two separate reservations. Mine is for 4 people and the other reservation is for 2, but we need a 6-top.

Can this be resolved pre-cruise? My TA gave me the number 1-800-774-6237 to call to accomplish this, but I called the number four days ago and pressed the option for a callback, and I never received a call.

Any other ideas?

Are you actually using OBC or specialty dining credits?  I booked Sabatini's on DMW with complimentary dining credits for my cabin plus our linked traveling companion, and it used each of our credits, no charge.  

If that doesn't work (or you don't want to risk the reservation getting deleted) they should be able to seat you together.  You can stop by when you board and let them know.

1 hour ago, donswife said:

Are you actually using OBC or specialty dining credits?  I booked Sabatini's on DMW with complimentary dining credits for my cabin plus our linked traveling companion, and it used each of our credits, no charge.  

If that doesn't work (or you don't want to risk the reservation getting deleted) they should be able to seat you together.  You can stop by when you board and let them know.

I booked with actual OBC, not dining credit, for us and one of the linked couples. It took $116 out of my OBC. Then another couple has since joined the cruise and booked on their own. I'm not sure if they used OBC or $.

I can wait until we board, though we booked this for Night 1 so have to get it straightened out right away. I thought most of the tables/booths would easily seat 2 or 4, but I was just concerned that it might be more difficult to get a 6-top as they may be more limited. I'm pretty sure I am over-thinking this!

Thank you for your input.

5 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

I booked with actual OBC, not dining credit, for us and one of the linked couples. It took $116 out of my OBC. Then another couple has since joined the cruise and booked on their own. I'm not sure if they used OBC or $.

I can wait until we board, though we booked this for Night 1 so have to get it straightened out right away. I thought most of the tables/booths would easily seat 2 or 4, but I was just concerned that it might be more difficult to get a 6-top as they may be more limited. I'm pretty sure I am over-thinking this!

Thank you for your input.

There have been several larger tables in every specialty dining room I haven't been in on a princess ship, so I would notice overstress on this. That being said, I do like having everything all in order beforehand, so I would probably stress some. If you can't get it fixed before stop by or call once you are on-board & they will sort it for you.

1 hour ago, travelin.sisters said:

There have been several larger tables in every specialty dining room I haven't been in on a princess ship, so I would notice overstress on this. That being said, I do like having everything all in order beforehand, so I would probably stress some. If you can't get it fixed before stop by or call once you are on-board & they will sort it for you.

Thank you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

Thank you!

I am not sure how you managed to use true OBC to book and pay for SD.  That is not an option in MC App (DMW), nor is it allowed by policy.

That said, you DO have two separate reservations and are occupying two tables.  You need to visit the SD location soon after boarding and speak to the host to fix it (or cancel one now and still see the host).  In my experience over the past month on two ships, there is a host at each SD venue during the afternoon of boarding.  OR, you can call the DINE line from cabin or any public phone on board and discuss the change with the person who answers.

I made a reservation in specialty dining for myself and several friends on Sky Princess for a cruise that starts next Saturday. The reservation was made several weeks ago. I just found out that one of my friends is no longer able to go on the cruise at all due to health issues. He's cancelled his booking, but it still shows up as part of my SD reservation.

Is there any way to remove him/cancel his reservation through the app, without having to cancel and re-book the whole thing? It's a fairly sizeable group, and I don't want to risk not being able to re-book at all if people book up the space before I can get the app to re-book the reservation. If I can't do this ahead of time, then I figured I'd just sort it out once I'm on board next Saturday.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 hour ago, JJMfromMI said:

I made a reservation in specialty dining for myself and several friends on Sky Princess for a cruise that starts next Saturday. The reservation was made several weeks ago. I just found out that one of my friends is no longer able to go on the cruise at all due to health issues. He's cancelled his booking, but it still shows up as part of my SD reservation.

Is there any way to remove him/cancel his reservation through the app, without having to cancel and re-book the whole thing? It's a fairly sizeable group, and I don't want to risk not being able to re-book at all if people book up the space before I can get the app to re-book the reservation. If I can't do this ahead of time, then I figured I'd just sort it out once I'm on board next Saturday.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If your cruise wasn't so close, I would have suggested to cancel and re-book with the App (perhaps at an odd hour), as there is small chance of someone else attempting to book for the same thing as you on the same ship for the same day/time.  That said, it may take a minute or two for the space to be released.

This close to your cruise date, it could be the bookings are locked now for the venue.  You could try and do a re-book even with what you have now and just see the response (you do not have to confirm anything just to check availability),  In your case, I would visit the SD venue in the afternoon of boarding day and someone will be there and you can explain the situation. 

You can also delete your friends as Travel Companions in the MC App.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am not sure how you managed to use true OBC to book and pay for SD.  That is not an option in MC App (DMW), nor is it allowed by policy.

That said, you DO have two separate reservations and are occupying two tables.  You need to visit the SD location soon after boarding and speak to the host to fix it (or cancel one now and still see the host).  In my experience over the past month on two ships, there is a host at each SD venue during the afternoon of boarding.  OR, you can call the DINE line from cabin or any public phone on board and discuss the change with the person who answers.

When I reserved SD in DMW app, it did say something like "$116 credit" after the $116 charge and a net of $0 due. However, I know you are right about OBC should not be able to be used when booking in the app. Now I am not sure that the reservations are actually paid for. No charges have hit my credit card and it's been several weeks since the reservation was made. The reservation is still showing in the app correctly.

All my OBC is still showing in my account (I did a mock booking of some excursions and it let me apply the entire amount of my OBC, including the amount I had thought had gone to pay for the SD).

I am definitely confused.

As for joining our reservations, I will be visiting the SD host first thing on boarding day.

Thank you for your insight.

1 hour ago, Blue_Flame said:

When I reserved SD in DMW app, it did say something like "$116 credit" after the $116 charge and a net of $0 due. However, I know you are right about OBC should not be able to be used when booking in the app. Now I am not sure that the reservations are actually paid for. No charges have hit my credit card and it's been several weeks since the reservation was made. The reservation is still showing in the app correctly.

All my OBC is still showing in my account (I did a mock booking of some excursions and it let me apply the entire amount of my OBC, including the amount I had thought had gone to pay for the SD).

As for joining our reservations, I will be visiting the SD host first thing on boarding day.

OBC is a strange thing before cruising...it still shows up as there if you use it for excursions too...then on the ship it will have all your OBC & then the excursions subtracted...it is confusing to me

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Blue_Flame said:

You did not use OBC.  You used SD credits to pay for the res.