CVS Rapid Antigen Test

luv4cruises

We are on the 8/27 Equinox cruise.  Can any of you confirm that your CVS rapid Antigen test was accepted at the port? I’m so paranoid about this.  I just scheduled the PCR test for

4:00 on 8/24.  We fly from Ca on 8/26. 
im debating on signing up for Rapid

Antigen test as well. The word Rapid worries me. It would be a relief to know that your CVS Rapid Antigen test was accepted at the port?  Thank you in advance!

Roseann (luv4cruises)

Celebrity has put up a new set of FAQs here, clarifying the testing requirements and linking to a list of FDA accepted tests. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

I haven’t read any comments in this forum of anyone being turned away who had a rapid antigen test. In fact, it would be very difficult for many folks to get anything other than a rapid antigen test and be certain they would have the results within the three-day window for pre-boarding testing. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, luv4cruises said:

We are on the 8/27 Equinox cruise.  Can any of you confirm that your CVS rapid Antigen test was accepted at the port? I’m so paranoid about this.  I just scheduled the PCR test for

Antigen test as well. The word Rapid worries me. It would be a relief to know that your CVS Rapid Antigen test was accepted at the port?  Thank you in advance!

Roseann (luv4cruises)

We did for the Edge cruise we’re on now! Enjoy!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Celebrity has put up a new set of FAQs here, clarifying the testing requirements and linking to a list of FDA accepted tests. 

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

I haven’t read any comments in this forum of anyone being turned away who had a rapid antigen test. In fact, it would be very difficult for many folks to get anything other than a rapid antigen test and be certain they would have the results within the three-day window for pre-boarding testing. 

@Turtles06 I am still not seeing any of this on the link you posted.   Under what question??

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

@Turtles06 I am still not seeing any of this on the link you posted.   Under what question??

Rick, I’m seeing it under the second question, What type of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Same language as Royal Released last week. MUCH clearer!

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Rick, I’m seeing it under the second question, What type of COVID-19 tests are accepted?

Same language as Royal Released last week. MUCH clearer!

Yes, much clearer!!!  Unfortunately, Celebrity IT being what it is, they have neglected to update the "72 hours" language in the answer to the first question on that same page. 🙃

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

Blame the shop responsible for preparing the FAQs, not the IT shop. They insert into the webpage whatever text they are provided.

You are correct, I was being too cute. My apologies to Celebrity IT. 😊

Edited by Turtles06

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, much clearer!!!  Unfortunately, Celebrity IT being what it is, they have neglected to update the "72 hours" language in the answer to the first question on that same page. 🙃

They also left PCR in question 1, and NAAT in question 2. 🤦‍♂️

Second question, the Walgreens rapid NAAT test is fine, first question it’s not! I thought they’d finally clarified that!  (And I think they intended to!)

1 minute ago, markeb said:

Second question, the Walgreens rapid NAAT test is fine, first question it’s not! I thought they’d finally clarified that!  (And I think they intended to!)

I think they intended to as well. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Please clarify for me. The Walgreens rapid NAAT is accepted by Celebrity? 

11 minutes ago, LINGBER said:

Please clarify for me. The Walgreens rapid NAAT is accepted by Celebrity? 

The updated FAQs are internally inconsistent. The first answer, which does not appear to have been updated, still says PCR and 72 hours. The second question, which has been updated, says NAAT and 3 days, with examples. Under the second question, the rapid NAAT would be acceptable; under the first, it technically wouldn’t. 

I don’t know what instructions staff at the port have been given. Hopefully they review and update shortly. 

• Like 1

How i read it:

The confusion is because Unvaccinated can only get PCR pre-cruise.  Antigen wont be accepted.  They will additionally get an antigen at the port.  PCR is more accurate, so that makes sense for unvaccinated.

Vaccinated can get either PCR or Antigen pre-cruise.

the 72 hour non-sense i would guess will get fixed eventually.

Edited by The_Mac
rewording
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

Roseann (luv4cruises)

Following.  We are on The Edge on 8/28.  My same thoughts, somewhat stressed.  Will CVS allow us to schedule both tests? We are thinking of scheduling PCR for 8/25, then scheduling rapid antigen on 8/26, just in case we don's get the PCR test back in time. We are flying on 8/27 at 8 AM.   TIA

4 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

Roseann (luv4cruises)

42 minutes ago, Dorh said:

Following.  We are on The Edge on 8/28.  My same thoughts, somewhat stressed.  Will CVS allow us to schedule both tests? We are thinking of scheduling PCR for 8/25, then scheduling rapid antigen on 8/26, just in case we don's get the PCR test back in time. We are flying on 8/27 at 8 AM.   TIA

Dear "luv4cruises" and "Dorh,"

Please relax!  Here is what we recommend to eliminate your "stress":

1.  Cancel your appointment [or do not make an appointment] for a PCR test.  (It is not necessary ... and it takes longer ... and it is probably more expensive.)

2.  DO make an appointment for a rapid antigen test, no later than three days before your cruise. 

... For example, for the Saturday, 8/28, Edge cruise, the test could be done as early as Wednesday AM, 8/25.

... For the Friday, 8/27, Equinox cruise, the test could be done as early as Tuesday AM, 8/24. 

(According to many members' posts here, you are extremely likely to receive the results within 24 hours -- possibly far fewer.)

3.  Ignore that chatter, above, about Celebrity's FAQ pages.  Reading the above posts will only worry you unnecessarily.

Enjoy your voyages!

Edited by jg51
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, luv4cruises said:

Roseann (luv4cruises)

I just got off the phone with Celebrity & asked the same question.  The rep said that the rapid antigen test from CVS is accepted by them.

It clearly states that self-administered tests are not acceptable whether it be Molecular or Antigen.  Most places now are self-administered.  Walgreens, CVS and our local board of health.  Has anyone had a problem swabbing yourself and X not accepting it through Walgreens or CVS?  It says you can if you can prove it was supervised.  It does not say on the results sheet that it was self-administered nor does it say it was supervised.  I just don't want to have a problem at the pier.  TIA.

21 minutes ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

It clearly states that self-administered tests are not acceptable whether it be Molecular or Antigen.  

Most places now are self-administered.  Walgreens, CVS and our local board of health.  Has anyone had a problem swabbing yourself and X not accepting it through Walgreens or CVS?

Where does it “clearly” say that?   What the FAQs page says is that “home/self-tests will not be accepted unless documentation from a medical professional that they were supervised can be provided.”  And then it immediately goes on to say “Most local pharmacies offer viral COVID-19 tests and states typically have websites to help you find a convenient testing site.”  Celebrity is clearly differentiating between home tests and tests at pharmacies and similar none-home sites, and making it clear that the latter set of tests are acceptable. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Where does it “clearly” say that?   What the FAQs page says is that “home/self-tests will not be accepted unless documentation from a medical professional that they were supervised can be provided.”  And then it immediately goes on to say “Most local pharmacies offer viral COVID-19 tests and states typically have websites to help you find a convenient testing site.”  Celebrity is clearly differentiating between home tests and tests at pharmacies and similar none-home sites, and making it clear that the latter set of tests are acceptable. 

Geez.....I was simply asking a question.  To me, it's vague and it does say self-tests are not accepted and does not list specific pharmacies just "most".  I also asked for replies from people that have done the self-administered from CVS or Walgreens not speculation.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jg51 said:

Dear "luv4cruises" and "Dorh,"

Please relax!  Here is what we recommend to eliminate your "stress":

1.  Cancel your appointment [or do not make an appointment] for a PCR test.  (It is not necessary ... and it takes longer ... and it is probably more expensive.)

2.  DO make an appointment for a rapid antigen test, no later than three days before your cruise. 

... For example, for the Saturday, 8/28, Edge cruise, the test could be done as early as Wednesday AM, 8/25.

... For the Friday, 8/27, Equinox cruise, the test could be done as early as Tuesday AM, 8/24. 

(According to many members' posts here, you are extremely likely to receive the results within 24 hours -- possibly far fewer.)

3.  Ignore that chatter, above, about Celebrity's FAQ pages.  Reading the above posts will only worry you unnecessarily.

Enjoy your voyages!

Great advice which should be read by cruisers.  Thank you for the clarity of your recommendations.  Cruisers are getting unnecessarily all worked up...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Want2Cruise 701 said:

It clearly states that self-administered tests are not acceptable whether it be Molecular or Antigen.  Most places now are self-administered.  Walgreens, CVS and our local board of health.  Has anyone had a problem swabbing yourself and X not accepting it through Walgreens or CVS?  It says you can if you can prove it was supervised.  It does not say on the results sheet that it was self-administered nor does it say it was supervised.  I just don't want to have a problem at the pier.  TIA.

That’s why Celebrity does not accept unsupervised self administered tests of any kind.  They do accept either PCR or Antigen tests  that are administered by medical professionals and accredited medical pharmacies (i.e. CVS, Walgreens, etc).

And, do follow Celebrity’s guidance.  Not doing so and dismissing their process is a recipe for disaster and disappointment!

When in doubt, call them.  

I’m sitting on my GPs office now waiting for my PCR test.  I expect results tomorrow.  But, if I don’t receive them, I also have an antigen test scheduled at CVS for tomorrow.  I sail Saturday!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dorh said:

I was thinking of doing the same thing! 
PCR on 8/24 and Rapid Antigen on 8/25.An Edge cruiser responded saying they accepted the Rapid  Antigen Test.

Another person asserted that the Rapid Antigen test will be accepted.  I wish more cruisers had responded that their CVS Rapid Antigen test was  accepted. 

2 hours ago, keesar said:

Great advice which should be read by cruisers.  Thank you for the clarity of your recommendations.  Cruisers are getting unnecessarily all worked up...

Thank you.  The lack of clarity of language regarding tests is stressful.  
Celebrity should state that the Rapid Antigen test is acceptable. The omission of the word rapid in their messages is what causes so much concern.  Attention to detail or the cruiser could pay the price.