What Sandwich is everyone talking about on Allure?

On the same ship, different cruises they have ranged from OK to Awesome.

Since the bread is baked on board, it can vary from time to time, even day to day.

And while most times the meat has been fine, sometimes the piece is fatty or gristly.  It happens.  Later the same day (new hunk of meat) or the next day, it will be better.

• Like 2

This sandwich carries the hype of honey stung chicken from the past. It also certainly brings out the northerners to tell us how its subpar to what they have at home, much like the lobsters our New England members can get "straight off the boat" and how much better they are than what is served on board. 😎  For most, it just signifies that they are finally on a Royal Caribbean cruise, much like the HSC did back in the day.   I have yet to feast on this sandwich.   I settled for something else my only visit to Cafe270

• Like 3

I had the roast beef sandwich with horseradish last week , absolutely great rare roast beef with no fat , unfortunately discovered it at end of the cruise, was better than anything in specialty restaurants or suite lounge for lunch.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:24 PM, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

It's a roast beef sandwich on a Kimmelweck roll and RCL's version isn't as tasty as the ones made in Buffalo where they are known as Beef on Weck.

Yes! And since we used to come over to BUF to fly to our cruise port, I often visit Charlie the Butcher for lunch (they are on the road at the NW corner of the airport).

I don't think we can post web links, but for those interested in making your own roast beef sandwiches like this, they have the recipe on their site,  at charlie the butcher dot com.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TBone2K said:

Yes! And since we used to come over to BUF to fly to our cruise port, I often visit Charlie the Butcher for lunch (they are on the road at the NW corner of the airport).

I don't think we can post web links, but for those interested in making your own roast beef sandwiches like this, they have the recipe on their site,  at charlie the butcher dot com.

Love Charlie the Butcher's!! I always stop there when back home. Also love hitting Bar Bill for the mini beef on weck and wings combo.

They just opened an anchor bar location here in Austin and the wings are way better than anywhere else here, and they have beef on weck and pizza logs! They have the pizzas with the cup n char pepperoni too. Even have a loganberry drink. I was there Saturday and Monday this past weekend. 😆

Just an FYI...

We were on Allure twice in 2019 the roast beef sandwiches in the Park Cafe weren't very good i.e, fatty and grissily.

Just got off the Oasis last sunday. The RB sandwiches were actually sliced sirloin and were excellent every time we went. As was the au jus and horse radish, very good.

47 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Yep 🙂

It's usually an OK roast beef sandwich, nothing more nothing less.

I mean, at it's worst it's sort of like an Arby's sandwich with horsey sauce meets french dip.  But if you get it a local place I have found them quite good.  (I studied in Olean for 2 years and they had a great place up there.)  

On 8/13/2021 at 1:21 PM, HicksRA said:

Guess I must be weird.  It’s just a hunk of roast beef on a dry bun. Nothing special about it to me.  

I agree. It's cruise ship deli quality good. It doesn't hold a candle to a NY deli sandwich and I don't include Subway or Quiznos to be NY deli.  I guess my disappointment is due to all the rave reviews. 

• Like 1

It's ok... Hate to downplay it as there is no extra cost for it. Too much bread. Meat is very dry. Arby's roast beef sandwich is more my thing as the meat is juicy and bread is thin and soft. Roy Roger's roast beef sandwich was better over Arby's years ago when they were still around.

Edited by coaster

22 hours ago, chillyw said:

Love Charlie the Butcher's!! I always stop there when back home. Also love hitting Bar Bill for the mini beef on weck and wings combo.

They just opened an anchor bar location here in Austin and the wings are way better than anywhere else here, and they have beef on weck and pizza logs! They have the pizzas with the cup n char pepperoni too. Even have a loganberry drink. I was there Saturday and Monday this past weekend. 😆

Love Bar Bill best wings and beef on wick we visit every year lots of others nice restaurants in East Aurora we stay there at a hotel each year, Josh Allen the Bills QB said this was his favorite wings . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

Love Bar Bill best wings and beef on wick we visit every year lots of others nice restaurants in East Aurora we stay there at a hotel each year, Josh Allen the Bills QB said this was his favorite wings . 

Yes!! Bar Bill is the best. Apparently you can get them Josh Allen style off menu, but I've never had those, have you?

Also, that beer bar / store next door is awesome, great selection. Took some home to Texas when I was up there for the Steelers game in September.

Edited by chillyw