Consequence of getting cruise refund by disputing the credit card charge

crooooze

Just now, sparks1093 said:

I don't think that Carnival (or any other cruise line for that matter) tried to hold on to any money longer than necessary. A number of factors led to refunds taking longer than normal to process- hundreds of thousands of refunds having to be processed manually by staff who had to suddenly perform the work from home (and potentially also with reduced staff). This wasn't a Carnival only issue, this affected them all. 

I agree, but I was responding to a poster who thought it was ESSENTIAL for a business to hold onto money when the cash flow in was not happening.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I agree, but I was responding to a poster who thought it was ESSENTIAL for a business to hold onto money when the cash flow in was not happening.

Then my response can be read in conjunction with yours in addressing the issue. 🙂 

There was a long thread on social media about people who were banned from Carnival for doing this. They went to rebook cruises this year and they were all cancelled. They were all told they were on the 'do not sail' list this year because they wasn't patient. 

2 minutes ago, Rob-Bob said:

Why?

Because you are disputing a valid charge. You booked the cruise, the payments were 100% valid. Carnival announced a refund and you were due the refund. Because you were unhappy with the expediency, you go another route. That route has its consequences. Why should Carnival accept charges against a credit card number that filed for charge reversal for fraudulent charges? I sure wouldn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

There was a long thread on social media about people who were banned from Carnival for doing this. They went to rebook cruises this year and they were all cancelled. They were all told they were on the 'do not sail' list this year because they wasn't patient. 

As a stockholder, I do not like Carnival's actions in this matter. Banning customers in the future because you did not fulfill your promise of refunds within 90 days and they complained is just going to send them to different cruise lines.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

As a stockholder, I do not like Carnival's actions in this matter. Banning customers in the future because you did not fulfill your promise of refunds within 90 days and they complained is just going to send them to different cruise lines.

As a business owner myself, just as others have mentioned in this thread, if a customer issues a chargeback with their credit card with my company, they are blacklisted and we will never do business with them again. I know my small company isn't comparable to Carnival but I completely understand and support Carnivals stance on this. I am a shareholder as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, teknoge3k said:

As a business owner myself, just as others have mentioned in this thread, if a customer issues a chargeback with their credit card with my company, they are blacklisted and we will never do business with them again. I know my small company isn't comparable to Carnival but I completely understand and support Carnivals stance on this. I am a shareholder as well. 

Exactly.

The entire system and world was caught off guard with no idea of when it'll all be over.

How many thought this would all blow over after a couple months? Be back in the office and all back to normal? Even the President was saying it.

Didn't happen that way and things went off the rails....for many

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Because you are disputing a valid charge. You booked the cruise, the payments were 100% valid. Carnival announced a refund and you were due the refund. Because you were unhappy with the expediency, you go another route. That route has its consequences. Why should Carnival accept charges against a credit card number that filed for charge reversal for fraudulent charges? I sure wouldn't.

Boozin, you’re close, but actually, it was more like this:

“Because you are disputing a valid charge. You booked the cruise, the payments were 100% valid. Carnival announced a refund and you were due the refund.     **Carnival said they gave you the refund months ago, but you never got it. Because you were told to wait another 1-2 months before they would take further action**  and you were unhappy with the expediency you go another route. That route has its consequences.   Why should Carnival accept charges against a credit card number that filed for a ** credit that they claimed was already refunded?  I sure would **” 

There you go.   🙂

Edited by crooooze

11 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

As a small business holder, I would imagine you know the customers. What Carnival is doing instead is saying nothing personal, it's just the computer. I would also guess that as a small business owner, you would probably have made some effort to satisfy the customer before they took that action.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

As a small business holder, I would imagine you know the customers. What Carnival is doing instead is saying nothing personal, it's just the computer. I would also guess that as a small business owner, you would probably have made some effort to satisfy the customer before they took that action.

Like what specifically in this case?

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Like what specifically in this case?

I was referring to a small business holder who would probably know his customers and try to satisfy them within reason of course.

As for Carnival, I would think they would realize that even if they were doing the best they could under the circumstances, many would be very dissatisfied with the speed of the refund. I would take away the automatic computer rejection of anyone who tried to use the credit card company to speed up their refund after a certain number of days. JMHO.

21 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Banning one person that clearly did not follow the rules.   As a stockholder I totally agree with their action.  The op k ew exactly what they were doing,  not following the process that literally 10’s of thousands had to do.  There was no way or precedent in how this worked.  If the op disagreed with the process and chose to take a different path, then they have to live with the results.  Easy peasey

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I was referring to a small business holder who would probably know his customers and try to satisfy them within reason of course.

As for Carnival, I would think they would realize that even if they were doing the best they could under the circumstances, many would be very dissatisfied with the speed of the refund. I would take away the automatic computer rejection of anyone who tried to use the credit card company to speed up their refund after a certain number of days. JMHO.

I get it.  There are different views.  

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Banning one person that clearly did not follow the rules.   As a stockholder I totally agree with their action.  The op k ew exactly what they were doing,  not following the process that literally 10’s of thousands had to do.  There was no way or precedent in how this worked.  If the op disagreed with the process and chose to take a different path, then they have to live with the results.  Easy peasey

No, it sounded like the OP had to deal with more jumping through hoops than the average customer. As a stockholder I do not want them to turn away past customers who want to come back. 

• Like 4

On 8/14/2021 at 7:49 AM, crooooze said:

Not sure if anyone experienced this....

Last year when it was taking forever to get refunds, I went the route of contacting my credit card to dispute the charge.

Everything worked out and I ended up getting my refund.

Fast forward a year, and I’m booking new reservations - Now Carnival is refusing to accept that credit card.

They said it is part of their “Fraud prevention”... I say it is spite.

Very annoying because that card gives me the most reward value.

If you were issued a refund twice, disputed charge and then a refund from Carnival, you will have a negative balance on the booking ID that you disputed. You will need to contact the accounting department @ Carnival and have them send you the balance you owe. You will then need to settle the debt using Western Union or Money Gram in order to have the restriction lifted against the card in question and regain the ability to sail.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, 4hunters said:

I guess folks aren’t reading my explanation correctly or maybe I wasn’t clear.

I made another reservation and successfully paid in full using another credit card. Cruise looked like it was a go until about 3 business days later when my cruise was cancelled due to being on the Do Not Sail list.

So, those of you who recommend using a different credit card, this is incorrect and will not help in the long run. Just pay Carnival what you owe and they (accounting department)  will remove you from the Do Not Sail list.  

Yes, accounting checks bookings against their lists.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

3 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

If you were issued a refund twice, disputed charge and then a refund from Carnival, you will have a negative balance on the booking ID that you disputed. You will need to contact the accounting department @ Carnival and have them send you the balance you owe. You will then need to settle the debt using Western Union or Money Gram in order to have the restriction lifted against the card in question and regain the ability to sail.

The CC bank said the temporary credit would be reversed once Carnival’s refund went through. However, technically, I never got the official Carnival refund.  The temporary credit just became permanent.

Edited by crooooze

Just now, crooooze said:

The CC bank said the temporary credit would be reversed once Carnival’s refund went through.

I bet Carnival's accounting department doesn't see it that way. More than likely they show a negative balance for your booking. You need to talk to Angela Ross in accounting.

6 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

surprised in a modern we live in, Western Union and Money Gram is the only payment choose they prefer for this. For some odd reason whenever i think of these payments types i instantly think of a scam since thats what Western Union was used for back in the day alot of times  

10 minutes ago, volfan22701 said:

that long to get you money back is totally unacceptable. it only takes a minute to do a credit card refund. any company holding your money that long is just plain crooked.

You are 100% incorrect.  Let mw know if you want the facts.