Vaccinated Guests now need to be get tested 3 days prior to Cruise AND at the port?

So I sail on Sunday and everyone on my sailing got this email earlier today.  We are vaccinated and the email was confusing as it seemed to indicate that we needed to get a test no more than 3 days prior (which we knew) AND be PCR tested at the port.  The wording had changed a bit from the previous protocol emails we had received which indicated we would be exempt from the port testing.  

I sent a Facebook message to Royal earlier today just to confirm that my original understanding is correct and that we will not need to be tested again at the port.  Much to my surprise, the rep replied that we WILL need to be tested again.  Is anyone else hearing this?  I sent a reply that this directly contradicts the information on their website and I also sent a msg to Michael Bayley but have not heard back yet.  So confusing!!!

YOUR HEALTHY SAILING UPDATE
Florida August 2021 Sailings Protocols 

Before we say, "Welcome aboard," we'd like to share our health & safety protocols with you for our sailings departing from Florida homeports, that do not visit St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Health and safety protocols are subject to change and as these occur, we're committed to updating you. 

Visit this link for all of our health protocols & additional details. Please save it for future reference.
spacer.gif
VIEW HEALTHY SAIL CENTER
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
section_icon_hor1.png
spacer.gif
Vaccination & Testing Requirements 
  •  
 Vaccination
We strongly recommend all guests 12 and older be fully vaccinated before sailing. To be considered fully vaccinated, the final dose of the vaccine must be completed at least 14 days before sailing.
    • Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination (such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) in order to be exempt from certain health protocols and associated fees, including additional COVID-19 testing and travel insurance requirements.
Testing 
The following requirements apply to guests departing from Florida homeports through December 31, 2021. 

Pre-Cruise: For all sailings (of any length), all guests 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status, will need to undergo a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) administered by an accredited laboratory of the guest's choice and taken no more than three days prior to sailing. We will require documentation of a negative test result prior to embarkation, either printed or presented on your phone. All costs for this test are the guest's responsibility. This requirement applies even to fully vaccinated guests, there is no exemption. 

At the Terminal: Guests 2 years and older are required to take a PCR test for COVID-19 when checking in at the terminal, which will be administered by one of our testing vendors. Registration details will be sent via email in advance. 

Prior to Disembarking: Guests 2 years and older will be required to undergo antigen testing before disembarking at the end of the voyage. This test will be conducted the day before the cruise ends by one of our testing vendors. Guests will be notified onboard about how to register for this test. Vaccinated guests who require an antigen or PCR test for entry into their destination country may receive one onboard at no charge. 

Testing at the terminal prior to embarkation and onboard prior to disembarkation will be conducted by licensed and accredited third-party testing providers we have contracted. Guests must register for this testing and agree to the third-party testing provider terms and conditions. Registration details will be sent via email in advance. 

The total charge from the third-party testing vendor for guests 12 and older is $136 USD per guest on sailings 5 nights or less, or $178 USD per guest for sailings of 6 nights or more. This amount will be applied to the guest's onboard expense account. Royal Caribbean will pay the testing vendor(s) on the guest's behalf and will not retain any part of the testing costs. 

Testing conducted by Royal Caribbean's vendor is complimentary for guests ages 2 – 11. No testing is required for guests younger than 2. 
spacer.gif
section_icon_hor2.png
spacer.gif
Additional Information 

Insurance Requirement 
As a condition of boarding, each guest 12 and older departing from a Florida homeport on a Royal Caribbean International cruise must provide proof of a valid insurance policy that has a minimum of (a) $25,000 per person in medical expense coverage and (b) $50,000 coverage for emergency medical evacuation and no COVID-19 exclusions.  

The insurance policy must name the guest as the policy holder or beneficiary and may be purchased from a travel insurance company of the guest's choosing or through the Royal Caribbean Travel Protection Program which fulfills these requirements and provides other benefits for travel protection. Insurance is required for sailings from August 1 through December 31, 2021 (except for bookings made between March 19, 2021 and June 28, 2021). 

Guests who provide documentation of full vaccination will be exempt from this requirement.

Going Ashore
At ports of call, fully vaccinated guests who have chosen to show proof of vaccination may visit the port freely or enjoy one of our many shore excursions. 

Travel parties with guests who are not fully vaccinated, or have chosen not to provide proof of vaccination, including parents traveling with unvaccinated children, must book a shore excursion through Royal Caribbean International if they wish to go ashore. We have worked with independent local tour operators to ensure they follow health and safety guidance that aligns with our Healthy Sail Panel recommendations. 

Parents who have chosen to provide proof of vaccination and wish to go ashore freely, can visit our youth facilities once onboard to learn about drop off program hours and availability and reserve time for their child on the day they wish to go in port. 

All guests may go ashore freely at our private island, Perfect Day at CocoCay, without reserving a tour, regardless of vaccination status. 

Shore excursions may be purchased in advance on Cruise Planner or once onboard at the shore excursion desk or using the Royal Caribbean app. This policy is subject to change as we continue to evaluate circumstances around the globe. All guests are also subject to restrictions and requirements as defined by local authorities in the ports we visit. 
spacer.gif
section_icon_hor3.png
spacer.gif
What To Bring 

Travel Documentation Checklist 
 Passport books (not cards) are preferred, but not required for all guests sailing. Birth certificates and driver's licenses are accepted when passports are not available. Passports must have a validity of at least six months after the sailing's return date.

A COVID-19 vaccination record card:  Valid proof of vaccination issued by the country where your vaccination was administered (such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) that shows you received the final dose at least 14 days before sailing, should you choose to show proof of vaccination. 

A negative COVID-19 test result: All guests age 2 and up, on all sailings, must show a negative COVID-19 test result (PCR or antigen) to board the ship, regardless of vaccination status. 

Proof of Travel Insurance: Those guests 12 and older who choose not to provide proof of vaccination will be required to present proof of travel insurance that meets coverage requirements. 

If you have questions about these protocols or have any concerns about sailing as a result of them, please contact us at 954-628-9290 or 1 (800) 256-6649. We will gladly answer your questions and work with you to reschedule or refund your cruise.

Please note that health protocols are expected to change over time and we'll continue to share our updated protocols. 
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Espresso spacer.gif Running Best Sales and Service spacer.gif Royal Caribbean
spacer.gif
Facebook   Twitter   YouTube
  Blog   Instagram   Pinterest
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
© 2021 Royal Caribbean International. Use of our various websites, mobile application(s), kiosks, and other digital platforms are subject to our Terms of Use.

Royal Caribbean Intl.
1050 Caribbean Way Miami, FL 33132
www.royalcaribbean.com
spacer.gif

I think the key words from the email are these:

Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination (such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) in order to be exempt from certain health protocols and associated fees, including additional COVID-19 testing and travel insurance requirements.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Guests who are fully vaccinated may choose to provide proof of vaccination (such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) in order to be exempt from certain health protocols and associated fees, including additional COVID-19 testing and travel insurance requirements.  

I totally agree and that is what I have been telling others from my sailing all day but the RCL rep's reply has thrown me for a loop...

All I want to know is why are we paying for ANOTHER test at the pier when we could get that done at home for FREE~  OK now, this is definitely not kosher. Did I understand that right?  We (vaccinated) have to do a PCR at pier and the cost will be on our cruise bill?  I will be calling them tomorrow.

• Like 1

Just now, BecciBoo said:

All I want to know is why are we paying for ANOTHER test at the pier when we could get that done at home for FREE~  OK now, this is definitely not kosher. Did I understand that right?  We (vaccinated) have to do a PCR at pier and the cost will be on our cruise bill?  I will be calling them tomorrow.

Their response to me did not mention a charge but who knows.  Hopefully either the RCL account or Michael Bayley's account msgs me back tonight.

34 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Then later when they tell you you have to have a PCR at port they do not quantify it by saying "Unvaccinated passengers"  so it IS very confusing.  I just want clarification that 1. I won't be charged for any testing and or 2. The pre-cruise antigen test I'm getting is totally sufficient.

32 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

I totally agree and that is what I have been telling others from my sailing all day but the RCL rep's reply has thrown me for a loop...

Yes I can see why. We are vaccinated, and I am following closely, currently working on scheduling our pre-cruise test (up to 3 days before). I have been on the CVS website, pre-planning on how to schedule a test for our Labor Day Symphony cruise. I have to check back in 1-2 days because they are only scheduling appointments 13-14 days out. What concerns me is that there are no appointments available for a rapid test over the next 13 days, at CVS stores near Port Everglades. Slots are available to schedule a PCR, but it states 1-2 days to get results back. I just worry that might be cutting it too close to sail day.  Getting an additional test at the pier is a bit too much, I think. 

Edited by sandebeach
  • Like 1

As I just posted on my live thread, what is confusing to me is  why make people, who do not need a test to travel otherwise , test before arriving AND at the port.  It seems redundant to me.

I am thinking that the rep that replied to me was wrong.  It certainly would not be the first time.

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JessyCruises said:

As I just posted on my live thread, what is confusing to me is  why make people, who do not need a test to travel otherwise , test before arriving AND at the port.  It seems redundant to me.

I think you saw my post on FB of the screen shot and Leah just posted a screenshot of Royal saying no testing at port or during cruise too!!!

OP, I will watch to see the RCI website's requirements change before putting too much faith in a manual copy of an email into a Discussion Board post.  Thank you for the heads up, though.  🙂 

My cruise is already going to St. Marten, so we are lucky that all those over 12 years old have to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

I think you saw my post on FB of the screen shot and Leah just posted a screenshot of Royal saying no testing at port or during cruise too!!!

Yup I saw it but that came from the same account that told me otherwise.  There are multiple reps answering questions on there.

2 minutes ago, LadyShiva said:

OP, I will watch to see the RCI website's requirements change before putting too much faith in a manual copy of an email into a Discussion Board post. 

It was an email sent to me, that I shared.  It was not a copy from somewhere else.  And I agree the email and the response from the rep contradicts with the website.

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 1

That rep needs training, I agree with you she does not get it.  It makes no sense at all "ONCE AT THE PIER YOU'LL BE TESTED AGAIN" as she put it to you.  There would be no reason whatsoever to get the 72Hr testing done...STUPID.  I probably won't be able to talk to anyone for they will be inundated!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

At $180 per test per person?

Yes, yes, and YES. Add that to my onboard account. Or can I pre-pay. Just let me on the ship. I’m vaccinated and will test whenever and however. I haven’t cruised in almost a decade. It’s been a rough two years for me taking care of my elderly dad, and this past 18 months especially for a lot of us. Losing my dad the day after Father’s Day was hard enough. I just need a vacation, listening to the ocean at sunrise and smelling the sea air again. Let me cruise. 

• Like 8