LIVE Geoherb's Solo Cruise on Majestic Princess, August 22, 2021

geoherb

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, you are correct that a 4-device order for the full voyage is $20/day pre-cruise.  On-board, it is $25/day.  Elites (Platinums as well) get 50% off either pricing, but of course makes best sense to order pre-cruise from Princess.  The 50% benefit applies to all MedallionNet options.

Thank you.  

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

That is a pretty tough aria.  There is no shame in a mere mortal missing some of those notes.  It is easy to guess which ones she missed.  The Flower Duet is awesomely beautifiul.  I'm sure you would not be surprised that the first time I ever heard that was in the BOAC commercials in the (what?) 1980s.

What was the name of that show?  We have never attended any of the Princess Theater shows. but your report has ingrigued me.  I'll probably have to attend by myself.  Mrs. XBGuy has a pretty sensitive respiratory system, and perfume gets her.  Even when we attended an embarkation day muster drill she would be sneezing before we could leave.

I'm not an opera buff, but I recognize it is a very tough aria.. I've seen this show on several ships. She was not as good last night as some of the guest sopranos for that number, but her stage presence was great. The show is Encore. There's another one called Bravo that is a similar concept of mixing some popular songs with some opera. I wish they'd include the duet from The Pearl Fishers in a show. 

• Like 2

We're getting liquid sunshine in Juneau. The captain announced that we'll be there around 12:30 and passengers should be able to leave at 1  on schedule).

I enjoyed breakfast with a couple from Colorado and a man. I was able to get sliced avocado to go with my smoked salmon and rye toast. It was great. I'll be having that at least two more times for breakfast. I asked about the wine makers dinner at breakfast. A woman took my name and cabin number and said someone would be contacting me if there's an available slot. The couple at my table received notice that they made the cut for the Chef's Table. 

My cabin steward has been wonderful. The medallion sensors at the doors have a button passengers can press for service and another one for privacy. They replace the old hanger signs and the small keyhole signs that passengers used to put out to denote those things. 

I sent out one bag of laundry yesterday morning. I plan to send another tomorrow morning. It would be great if my first things came back this evening instead of tomorrow or Thursday. It seems like with fewer passengers, they'd be able to handle the promised one-day turnaround time. But perhaps they're trying to condition us to not count on the service.

My team had another successful run at trivia. We won coasters. I gave mine to a grandmother as I was leaving. Christiaan was the quiz master this morning. It's the first of his trivia's I've attended. The questions were a mix of hard and easy. I should have remembered one of the answers from previous cruises but didn't. And I should have fought for an answer I thought was right. It's a good thing we did not tie with another team or lose by one.

I will eat lunch in the dining room before heading ashore. My plan was to go to Mendenhall if it was pretty, so I guess I'm just walking around town. The State Museum is closed on Tuesdays and the capitol doesn't have tours either today.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, geoherb said:

I'm not an opera buff, but I recognize it is a very tough aria.. I've seen this show on several ships. She was not as good last night as some of the guest sopranos for that number, but her stage presence was great. The show is Encore. There's another one called Bravo that is a similar concept of mixing some popular songs with some opera. I wish they'd include the duet from The Pearl Fishers in a show. 

Funny that they rarely include a duet between two men. Our daughter has her Masters in vocal performance, classical, so we are pretty tough critics, sadly. But we do love the Flower Duet. Our daughter launched into Queen of the Night on the portico at the Pantheon in Rome and the guard thought she was panhandling and yelled, "eh, signorina, in the piazza!" She was just admiring the acoustics, but we all got a good laugh out of it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MJSailors said:

The individuals in the photo could have gone to be buffet dressed like that and been comfortable there

Sorry, I just don't know how the sight of someone wearing shorts in the dining room can ruin anybody's meal. There's so much more to see & do. The only person who should worry about such things is the Maitre d.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mjceditor said:

It would be nice if someone would wipe off the camera lens......😀

Camera lens being wiped off now….not only water on lens but also very dirty. Looks much better now.

Edited by KLM3164

56 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Sorry, I just don't know how the sight of someone wearing shorts in the dining room can ruin anybody's meal. 

I guess it depends on the person and the shorts. 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

Formal night was tonight. We had a table facing the entrance, so I kept a running tally of how men were dressed while waiting on our courses.  30% wore suits, 30% wore sports coats or ties with no coat or coats with no tie, and the majority, 40%, just wore nice shirts and slacks. There were a few outliers. One guy wore a tux, and two showed up in gym shorts and tee shirts.  Several blue jeans and polos. No one was turned away.

IMG_0892.jpg

Had to zoom in on photo to see shorts in MDR. Is this Carnival?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

One guy wore a tux, and two showed up in gym shorts and tee shirts.  Several blue jeans and polos. No one was turned away.

IMG_0892.jpg

Maybe they’re picking their battles. At this point, Princess may not want to alienate any paying customers when people are canceling left and right. On the other hand, maybe they lost their luggage. 🧳 🧳🧳

• Like 6

22 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:
23 hours ago, Esjung1 said:

@KLM3164I tried to order the key lime pie twice from room service and it never came! That's the only place I saw it on the menu after scouring the ship.  I ordered it twice with other food and our order took like hour and a half but I never got the key lime pie! 😟

Expand  

You may have easily missed it. It’s very small and served in a ramekin. 

Oh so I’ve heard

I had it every afternoon. Loved it but it could easily take an hour to get it. The server found me even if I moved. 

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

The weather held out for me in Juneau. I carried an umbrella but never needed it. I walked down along the waterfront to the whale sculpture. There's a grocery store nearby. Here's a photo of some of the seafood on display. They also had canned and smoked salmon for less than the gift stores closer to the ship. I was off the ship for a couple of hours.

After getting back on board, I decided to go to Concerto for afternoon tea. I ate a couple of tiny sandwiches and a scone with cream and jam. The couple next to me had their Elite medallions showing. I guessed from their ages that they might have made the cutoff for the top 40 event, so I asked. They said they had and that it was a cocktail party this cruise. The wife is 94 and the husband is 99. He'll be 100 in November. It will be great if I'm still able to enjoy cruises in 40 years.

I joined a couple from Washington state at afternoon trivia. There were four or five others playing solo in the Vista Lounge. We won coasters. I'll have to find someone to give mine to. 

Tonight's menu looks wonderful in the dining room. I'm planning on having the Alaskan shellfish bisque, halibut, and king crab legs. The desserts tonight don't excite me, so maybe I'll try to order the key lime pie from room service later tonight. I'm thinking of going to dinner earlier than my 8:00 reservation. Maybe I'll get to share a table that way. There's nothing on the schedule interesting to me before the 7:30 trivia.

20210824_141425.jpg

20210824_143024.jpg

• Like 7

On 8/23/2021 at 5:02 PM, KruzPrincess said:

Will you take pictures of the buffet and share them? Thanks. 

Here are a few from this morning. I haven't been up there for lunch or dinner yet. There are crew members serving most of the dishes. There are a few grab and go items in the third photo and the whole fruits in the last photo as well. But a server was there for the cut up pieces of melon.

20210824_105001.jpg

20210824_105024.jpg

20210824_105033.jpg

20210824_105101.jpg

20210824_105116.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, geoherb said:

The desserts tonight don't excite me, so maybe I'll try to order the key lime pie from room service later tonight.

I’m really enjoying reading your detailed posts. Look forward to hearing if you actually get some key lime pie for dessert tonight!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I had it every afternoon. Loved it but it could easily take an hour to get it. The server found me even if I moved. 

I'm jealous!  Of course I had plenty of other desserts to make up for the lack of key lime pie and I didn't feel bad if something didn't taste good, I just tried something else.  We actually had some chocolate cake in the main dining room that was brought to my son for his "graduation" celebration and it was pretty darn tasty! The piece was huge and 3 of us ate off of it and still couldn't finish it. I'm actually glad they forgot my birthday celebration because it probably would have been the same cake and that would have put us on sugar overload. 

Edited by Esjung1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

Here are a few from this morning. I haven't been up there for lunch or dinner yet. There are crew members serving most of the dishes. There are a few grab and go items in the third photo and the whole fruits in the last photo as well. But a server was there for the cut up pieces of melon.

20210824_105001.jpg

20210824_105024.jpg

20210824_105033.jpg

20210824_105101.jpg

20210824_105116.jpg

Thank you for sharing these pictures for me. It looks pretty quiet there. Thanks. 

• Like 1