Cruising unvaccinated? Are we still welcome at RCCL?

Long time cruisers wondering if there is a future for us with RCCL if we won't be vaccinated.  I know this is a moving target, and we just had to cancel our 8/23 cruise from FL due to St Thomas banning ships with unvaxed passengers on board.  Are there itineraries from FL that go only to lenient ports?  Dang, I'd be happy to sail in a circle for 10 days.

Also, does anybody have experience yet sailing unvaxed?   Is it awkward?  How are you treated by staff?  Is there a constant focus on this?  Are the "washy-washy" guys outside Windjammers now singing songs about vaccines? (Lord, I hope not!) 

Anybody else in the same boat?  (sorry)

• Haha 1

Yeah, I hope we are not on the same boat 🙂 (yes, I know it's a ship).  I think it is up to you whether you get vaccinated or not, but if you choose not to then  you should also choose to stay out of dangerous situations (like on a cruise ship).  The cruise lines are going to be very cautious until COVID is no long an issue, both in reality and sensationalized by the media.  If there is an outbreak on a cruise ship it's going to be top news and the industry may be ruined.

It sucks for the people that have a medical reason to not get vaccinated.  

I think this discussion will get more heated when the age for vaccination decreases and parents don't want to get their kids vaccinated.  I don't understand why parents would care enough about their kids to do everything they could to keep them safe, but I'm sure some will resist vaccination.

• Like 7

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  Unfortunately, the Cruise Lines need to get their ships in the water in order to stay in business and mitigate the risk.  I think that is going to be with vaccinated passengers at the moment.  As others as stated, if there is a medical reason, that documentation will be sufficient.  If personal or religious reasons, those are not going to be allowed.

One of the vloggers was on a cruise and felt that it was difficult for the unvaccinated passengers.  There were venues they were not allowed into, some only at designated times.  Not all shows were available.  Sections of the ship where cordoned off and it could be hard to navigate.  If you spent quite a bit of money on a cruise, especially with kids, it might not be the most fun experience.  

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, rbell said:

Why don't you just go to RC website?

As far as I know, the RC website hasn't relayed any information regarding the experiences of un-vaxxed passengers. However, if you come here, you can be informed, inundated, irritated and exasperated in real time and without having to leave the thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CruiseBride926 said:

If the reason is medical you can still try to get cleared to sail at least for Bahamas cruises. If not then I’d say chances are slim for at least most of 2021.

The Bahamas issued an order in the last day or so that it is requiring all cruise ship passengers to be vaccinated. That includes all the private islands as well.

Cruise ships must present a manifest of all passengers verifying vaccine status or the ship will be denied port entry. People ineligible for the vaccine are exempt. For now, that includes children under 12 or people with a documented medical reason.

There are fewer and fewer places where a cruise ship can call without fully vaccinated passengers and crew.

4 minutes ago, footzz said:

As far as I know, the RC website hasn't relayed any information regarding the experiences of un-vaxxed passengers. However, if you come here, you can be informed, inundated, irritated and exasperated in real time and without having to leave the thread.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

Symphony 8/21 after first itinerary change.  Was ok.  Last week had unvaccinate on it.  This week bahamas changed rules even for private islands.  So no unvaccinated on at least next three cruises.  Note that places like Blue Lagoon today are keepng guests in separate groups.  Looks like this is going to continue forever.

1 hour ago, Hearthstone said:

Long time cruisers wondering if there is a future for us with RCCL if we won't be vaccinated.  I know this is a moving target, and we just had to cancel our 8/23 cruise from FL due to St Thomas banning ships with unvaxed passengers on board.  Are there itineraries from FL that go only to lenient ports?  Dang, I'd be happy to sail in a circle for 10 days.

Also, does anybody have experience yet sailing unvaxed?   Is it awkward?  How are you treated by staff?  Is there a constant focus on this?  Are the "washy-washy" guys outside Windjammers now singing songs about vaccines? (Lord, I hope not!) 

Anybody else in the same boat?  (sorry)

There's a handful more sailings to go that will allow non vax on board, but starting Sept it's vax only for 12+. And the August sailings that will still be going in Sept require it as well. That will be at least through Nov 1. Frankly I would expect the Bahamas to extend that through at least the end of the year, but that's just my thoughts. 

If you're unvax I wouldn't expect to be able to cruise until at least 2022. I wouldn't be surprised if vax requirements last well into 2022. (Saw an article that Canada is seriously considering requiring it for cruise passengers and the Canada sailing season doesn't open until May.)

• Like 1

Unfortunately, cruising anytime soon won’t be easy for you. I get it, I really do. I just today got my second shot. I held out for as long as I felt the risks for me outweighed the benefits. The delta variant changed all of that. I had COVID back in December and it was a non-issue. This delta is scary, stuff, though, and we decided to go ahead and vaccinate. Going on the Mariner in October, because why  not? I believe that you should have the choice, though, no matter your reason for not doing it. You won’t get any nastiness from me. I hope you can get back on a ship soon and would have no problem with it if you were on mine.

Edited by FLcruisergrl
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

There is still a large element of the unknown w/ regards to the vaccine. Especially for the young people. I do not wish for my grand children to be vaccinated until the FDA goes through the process and issues a full review and approval. Having said this, it does appear that the vaccine has helped greatly w/ regards to hospitalizations and deaths. 

In the UK they have only recently approved vaccinations for 16 and 17 year olds.  There is a lot of discussion in the scientific community of the risk/value ratio of jabbing younger children.  

This means in the UK it is over 18s that's need to be fully vaccinated for RC and Celebrity cruises. Everyone also needs a pcr test and an additional lateral flow test at the terminal for

under 18s

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

For the foreseeable future, cruising is going to be vaxxed only, with possible exceptions for children and others who can’t be vaxxed. 

Should make this a permanent rule asap.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1