What's the point of the gelato stand (~$5) when ice cream is free at the buffet?

fstuff1

5 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Just yesterday while lining up a putt on the 18th hole I was thinking the same thing about the gelato stand ---- it got me so confused that I missed a 2 ft putt.

The same damn thing happened last week when thinking about who the CD might be on our next cruise.

I'm giving up golf--- too stressful with all this CC " stuff " to worry about !!

( Who's going to be first to " So Don't Read It " ) 

There is no justice!  Missing a putt because of mediocre gelato!  I think entering therapy is called for in this situation :(.

Hank

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There is no justice!  Missing a putt because of mediocre gelato!  I think entering therapy is called for in this situation :(.

Hank

Nah, just an extra hour or so at the 19th hole should get the mind right again! 🤪

Edited by canderson
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Just yesterday while lining up a putt on the 18th hole I was thinking the same thing about the gelato stand ---- it got me so confused that I missed a 2 ft putt.

The same damn thing happened last week when thinking about who the CD might be on our next cruise.

I'm giving up golf--- too stressful with all this CC " stuff " to worry about !!

( Who's going to be first to " So Don't Read It " ) 

Are you the person who hit a golf ball into my *front* yard?

My personal preference, I like ice cream.  But my wife prefers gelato, especially in European gelato shops.

I am paying several thousand dollars for a cruise.  Even if my wife spends $100 on gelato on the Edge over the course of a week, it isn't going to hurt us, and if it makes her happy, well, ...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

My personal preference, I like ice cream.  But my wife prefers gelato, especially in European gelato shops.

I am paying several thousand dollars for a cruise.  Even if my wife spends $100 on gelato on the Edge over the course of a week, it isn't going to hurt us, and if it makes her happy, well, ...

OMG! High maintenance! Just joking. 

Could not resist. 

Stay Safe! 

I am sure that most people couldn’t tell the difference in a taste test between the gelato and their ice cream.   If it makes them happy to spend $5 extra for the perceived  perception then go for it 

It is the same with bottled water.  Penn and Teller had a show called  BS.  In one episode they did bottled water compared to NYNY city water.   The bottled water was filled with NYNY a city water and the other was NYNY city water. In a glass.     The testers all chose the  bottled as tasting better. It was the same.   Filled from the same hose 

Like anything some think all bourbons, whiskey, coffee and etc are the same.   People that are more than casual drinkers can tell the difference 

I am sure it is the same for those that consume a lot of gelato can tell the difference and there are also different qualities and I don’t think X is really a premium type that you would get in Italy 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

6 minutes ago, miched said:

I am sure that most people couldn’t tell the difference in a taste test between the gelato and their ice cream.   If it makes them happy to spend $5 extra for the perceived  perception then go for it 

It is the same with bottled water.  Penn and Teller had a show called  BS.  In one episode they did bottled water compared to NYNY city water.   The bottled water was filled with NYNY a city water and the other was NYNY city water. In a glass.     The testers all chose the  bottled as tasting better. It was the same.   Filled from the same hose 

Like anything some think all bourbons, whiskey, coffee and etc are the same.   People that are more than casual drinkers can tell the difference 

I am sure it is the same for those that consume a lot of gelato can tell the difference and there are also different qualities and I don’t think X is really a premium type that you would get in Italy 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Some of us can tell the difference because it's not the same product.  It's not like tap water.

I guess you always eat at the same restaurants because, hey, food is all the same?

Gelato:  Less air due to slower churning (denser result), more milk vs. cream (lower fat content, but in spite of that, the higher density seems to give a creamier mouth feel) and definitely no egg.

I like both equally, but at the Cafe Al Bacio, you usually have far more flavor choices than at the buffet ice cream area.

Which brings me to a question:

Has anyone who has cruised since the restart found any of Celebrity's positively YUMMY cinnamon ice cream available?  For years we'd miss it on a cruise when it was served only during lunch on a port day.  Finally started asking our waiter to have them make up a batch for us for dinner for longer cruises.

Edited by canderson

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yea it's called personal preference.

Why eat filet mignon when a burger is cheaper?

Why take a cruise when it's faster and cheaper to fly?

Because I enjoy a filet. I fly because in the end, the vacation I enjoy the overall product more.

Cost isn’t a factor, enjoyment and value trumps cost every time.

12 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Because I enjoy a filet. I fly because in the end, the vacation I enjoy the overall product more.

Cost isn’t a factor, enjoyment and value trumps cost every time.

Thanks for playing!  🙂

3 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Nice tastebuds there. And you are ‘sure’ most can’t tell the difference…that’s interesting you know this kind of stuff, and……..

what the heck am I doing?!? I’ve Got to get a life!!!!…No, I think I’ll get a bowl of Gelato and try to figure out how someone can’t tell the difference between that and ice cream! Kind of like someone saying they can’t tell the difference between a nice Chianti (yes, I loved ‘The Silence of the Lambs’!) and California Red Mountain wine I drank in college - you had to drink it quick before the color settled out………..

Den

53 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Kind of like someone saying they can’t tell the difference between a nice Chianti (yes, I loved ‘The Silence of the Lambs’!) and California Red Mountain wine I drank in college - you had to drink it quick before the color settled out………..

Den

Bring back those Boone's Farm and Annie Green Springs hangovers!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Nice tastebuds there. And you are ‘sure’ most can’t tell the difference…that’s interesting you know this kind of stuff, and……..

what the heck am I doing?!? I’ve Got to get a life!!!!…No, I think I’ll get a bowl of Gelato and try to figure out how someone can’t tell the difference between that and ice cream! Kind of like someone saying they can’t tell the difference between a nice Chianti (yes, I loved ‘The Silence of the Lambs’!) and California Red Mountain wine I drank in college - you had to drink it quick before the color settled out………..

Den

Great, on the first TA after covid restrictions we have a new CC game " can you tell your Gellato from a regular ice cream - $5 entry fee - 50% of the pot to the winner, 25% second, 25% last. 

• Like 1

What's the point of the gelato stand (~$5) when ice cream is free at the buffet?

Because it's cruising!

On a cruise you can buy overpriced, mediocre watches. 

You can buy overpriced, mediocre spa services. 💆‍♂️

You can buy overpriced, mediocre 'art'. 🖼️

I prefer the overpriced, mediocre Gelato to the overpriced, mediocre 'art'. It's cheaper and it tastes better ...... slightly. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Hmm.. BF Wild Mountain Grape or Decoy Merlot ... Decisions, decisions!

😆 

I couldn't tell you if a wine is Merlot or Malbec, blindfolded, but I could tell you if it is a red or white.  Don't ask me to tell you how oaky it is or whether I smell or taste tobacco or chewing gum. But I would tell you IMHO if it's good or bad.

2 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

IMHO the gelato on the ship is not great. My DH won't even eat it.. So I take two scoops (not necessarily the same day. 

But give me real Italian gelato. Wow! That's worth every calorie!

I totally get your point but we could compare anything on ship to land.  Ex. Is Daniel Boulud dinner as good as his New York restaurant?  No way.  And so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

Because it's cruising!

On a cruise you can buy overpriced, mediocre watches. 

You can buy overpriced, mediocre spa services. 💆‍♂️

You can buy overpriced, mediocre 'art'. 🖼️

I prefer the overpriced, mediocre Gelato to the overpriced, mediocre 'art'. It's cheaper and it tastes better ...... slightly. 😉

You really should stop cruising if you think everything is mediocre.  🙂

16 hours ago, zitsky said:

Yea it's called personal preference.

Why eat filet mignon when a burger is cheaper?

Why take a cruise when it's faster and cheaper to fly?

Eh. Filet Mignon vs a burger aren't comparable products. They are both cooked beef but that's where the resemblance ends. One is ground and served as a sandwich. One is not. 

Even if you think you can taste the difference between gelato and ice cream; I'm pretty sure if someone put a scoop of vanilla of each in front of you, you couldn't determine the difference just looking at them. 

This comparison would be more like comparing ice cream to soft serve. Different products with similar ingredients.

3 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Eh. Filet Mignon vs a burger aren't comparable products. They are both cooked beef but that's where the resemblance ends. One is ground and served as a sandwich. One is not. 

Even if you think you can taste the difference between gelato and ice cream; I'm pretty sure if someone put a scoop of vanilla of each in front of you, you couldn't determine the difference just looking at them. 

This comparison would be more like comparing ice cream to soft serve. Different products with similar ingredients.

I never said they look different.  They *taste* different.  I buy what Talenti calls gelato (no it's not Italian I have had the real thing).  It's not the same as Ben & Jerry's. 

Just now, zitsky said:

I never said they look different.  They *taste* different.  I buy what Talenti calls gelato (no it's not Italian I have had the real thing).  It's not the same as Ben & Jerry's. 

Right, but you compared gelato vs ice cream to burgers vs filet mignon. That's not a valid comparison. Burgers and filet mignons are such different products that you can visually see the difference easily. Gelato and ice cream are barely different - to the point that a good palate can taste the difference but that's all.