Cruise Ship water the original Smart Water?

Hlitner

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

To the OP:  That is what makes the world go 'round.

You can ask the same question about, just about anything:

• Why would somebody pay $4000 for a wrist watch?  I guarantee that my $30 Timex is just as accurate.
  • Why do I spend $100 for a bottle of wine?  Fermented grape juice is fermented grape juice.
  • Why do people pay extra for clothes that have logos?  Why doesn't the manufacrurer pay me to be a mobile advertisement for them?
  • What is the difference between jeans and designer jeans?
  • In 1970 would you have believed that people would pay $1 for a cup of coffee?  Don't make me laugh.
  • Why do I prefer to cruise in suite cabins?  On every cruise I have every taken, all the cabins have followed the same itinerary.  If I booked inside cabins, I could afford to cruise more often

There is no right or wrong answer to any of those questions.  Generally, these are not dollars and cents decisions.  They do not have to explain their preferences to me.  Similarly, I do not feel any resposibility to explain my decisions to others.

Thankfully, not everybody is exactly like me.

OK.  End of pontification.

Now, I'm really going to step in it.  I have always admired the knowlege and the Cruise Critic contributions of @chengkp75, and I have always thought it was folly to disagree with him.  It appears that I am not understanding something correctly, and, so, I am going to ask for clarification.

Chief, in post #10. above. you state that "both distilled water and reverse osmosis water is acidic."  I may be an old guy, but there were several gems from 8th Grade General Science class that have stuck with me.  One of them is that pure water has a pH of 7--it is both acid and basic neutral.  

From your statement, I am likely to conclude that these distillation and reverse osmosis processes leave some impurities in the water that push the pH below 7.  Is that it, or is there something else that I am missing?

The normal tap water we used in Science class was neutral with a pH of about 7.5. From memory, distilled water has a pH of about 5, which is something I recall from my shifts in the E/R treating the boiler feed water.

53 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Not the Chief, but CO2 from the air will soon make it less pure and lower the pH depending on the amount of available C02. 

Ding, ding, ding.  Yes, distilled water will be at a pH of 7 immediately after it is produced, but the longer it is exposed to air, it absorbs CO2, which lowers the pH.  The pH of "pure water" can be as low as 5.5, the point at which tooth enamel is eroded.  Distilled water is considered an "active absorber", readily absorbing gases into solution.  Absorbing CO2 forms Carbonic Acid, the same phenomenon that is "acid rain" (rain water is distilled water, and it absorbs CO2 from hydrocarbon emissions).  The "active absorber" nature of distilled water also attracts any other minerals, metals, and chemicals from plastics.

Things we were taught in grade school tend to be simplistic, and not always exactly true, when the details are thoroughly examined.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Ding, ding, ding.  Yes, distilled water will be at a pH of 7 immediately after it is produced, but the longer it is exposed to air, it absorbs CO2, which lowers the pH.  The pH of "pure water" can be as low as 5.5, the point at which tooth enamel is eroded.  Distilled water is considered an "active absorber", readily absorbing gases into solution.  Absorbing CO2 forms Carbonic Acid, the same phenomenon that is "acid rain" (rain water is distilled water, and it absorbs CO2 from hydrocarbon emissions).  The "active absorber" nature of distilled water also attracts any other minerals, metals, and chemicals from plastics.

Things we were taught in grade school tend to be simplistic, and not always exactly true, when the details are thoroughly examined.

Thank you for the explanation.  It makes perfect sense.  I am not surprised that there was more to it than my George Washington Junior High School recollection.

If my chemist brother, who loves to show off as much as I do, had been available, I'm sure that he would have explained it in much gorier detail.🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We live in a desert environment so carrying our own refillable bottle is a daily habit - hate seeing folks by giant pallets of single use plastic bottles.

We used to live at Lake Tahoe and they actually win awards for their water. When I see people buying cases of bottled water I always want to say (but don't) "you don't live here, do you?"

• Haha 1

We have the luxury of wonderful water from our 200+ foot well.  We only use bottled water when traveling, for convenience, and especially for going ashore in certain areas.  We also use refillable water bottles.

I am fine with the tap water on ships and use it to refill bottles.  Some city water is way too chlorinated for us, since we aren't used to it.  I notice a little of that with ship's water, but not too bad, especially when cooled.

The 'water people' do kind of make me smile.  I especially can't stand flavored waters, but that's personal taste.  

I wish there was some way to make and mandate water bottles that are bio-degradable, at a reasonable cost.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

20 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The normal tap water we used in Science class was neutral with a pH of about 7.5. From memory, distilled water has a pH of about 5, which is something I recall from my shifts in the E/R treating the boiler feed water.

I specifically recall that in Mr. Toner's lecture he specifically said. "pure water," and he did distinguish that from "tap water."  

You are, of course, correct in pointing out that we are often quite sloppy about terms that we use.  "Pure water" is another such term.

9 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I wish there was some way to make and mandate water bottles that are bio-degradable, at a reasonable cost.

I've read that Coca Cola and some others are going to be coming out with such a thing. It will have some kind of lining that keeps the liquid in the bottle from "bio-degrading" the bottle that's holding it 🙂

13 minutes ago, clo said:

I've read that Coca Cola and some others are going to be coming out with such a thing. It will have some kind of lining that keeps the liquid in the bottle from "bio-degrading" the bottle that's holding it 🙂

All cans these days (aluminum soda cans and steel food cans) have a BPA lining that does this, but there are many drawbacks to BPA.

46 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Yep, that's why you always had to add sodium hydroxide to the boiler water to make it alkaline.  "You've learned well, young Skywalker."

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Really. Guzzle a liter or 2 of the local stuff in Mumbai, then report back. If you can.

Well, i haven't been to Mumbai but I drink it all over Central and South America with no problems.

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have done the same after I learned a lesson about dehydration.  After one cruise, I spent 3 days in Rome and decided not to buy bottled water.  I used the bottled water that the hotel daily supplied, but that proved to be not enough hydration.  (Why did I do this?  I was being "cheap".  Why ought I have to pay for water was my thinking?)  Well, my thinking was wrong!  I arrived home dehydrated and made, I believe, my jet lag worse.  I made my dehydration worse by drinking wine rather than water.  

Yes dehydration  does make jetlag worse - why on earth did you not just refill a water bottle? Rome has drinkable water as far as  I recall.  I carry an  reusable plastic bottle and refill it as necessary - saves me ffrom dehydration and the planet for plastic - its a win/win 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mom says said:

Really. Guzzle a liter or 2 of the local stuff in Mumbai, then report back. If you can.

Haven't been to Mumbai - certainly drunk it in other big cties in India - the main issue is that it tend to be heavily chlorinated.  

The only place I've found the tap water really, really undrinkable and I've travelled most of the world except Africa, was central Queensland, Australia. In the outback the water supply is artesian and very, very sulfuric. You have to leave the water in an open container overnight to allow the sulfur to evaporate. Apparently its not harmful to life - but it does smell like rotten eggs 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lissie said:

Haven't been to Mumbai - certainly drunk it in other big cties in India - the main issue is that it tend to be heavily chlorinated.  

I find that somewhat in Rio. When it's cold it's fine, at room temp not so much. With my avid outdoor daughter's advice I'd fill my water bottle about half full and let it spend the night in the freezer and then top off with more tap water in the AM.

2 hours ago, lissie said:

The only place I've found the tap water really, really undrinkable and I've travelled most of the world except Africa, was central Queensland, Australia. In the outback the water supply is artesian and very, very sulfuric. You have to leave the water in an open container overnight to allow the sulfur to evaporate. Apparently its not harmful to life - but it does smell like rotten eggs 

Sounds like the local water in a lot of places in Florida. It really does smell and taste sulfuric. Safe to drink,but truly vile tasting, even in hot coffee.

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have done the same after I learned a lesson about dehydration.  After one cruise, I spent 3 days in Rome and decided not to buy bottled water.  I used the bottled water that the hotel daily supplied, but that proved to be not enough hydration.  (Why did I do this?  I was being "cheap".  Why ought I have to pay for water was my thinking?)  Well, my thinking was wrong!  I arrived home dehydrated and made, I believe, my jet lag worse.  I made my dehydration worse by drinking wine rather than water.  

On a side note, Rome has wonderful water BTW -- safe and no unpleasant taste. No reason not to drink it from the tap, or to fill up your bottle from one of the many free "drinking fountains" around the city. This type of fountain is referred to by locals as "Il nasone" or "the big nose" because of its shape...

image.png.e14eb45ac0ac4cc0d34e7169b204f9f1.png 

I go to Rome at least once a year and have never had any issues. I've even been out to aqueduct park and had water from one of the ancient aqueducts there, the Acqua Vergine. (I've read that some Romans go out there with large water containers to get all of their household drinking water because they say its taste is so pure....)

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, clo said:

I drink tap water all over the world with no ill effects.

14 hours ago, mom says said:

I will drink tap water in most places -- family and friends have said in the past that my stomach must be cast iron -- however, there are a few times and places where it pays to exercise some caution.

For one reason, if I have paid a lot of $$ for a much-anticipated and planned-for trip where I am only going to have, at best, a few days to several weeks to sightsee and soak up the atmosphere, I don't want to risk spending my time miserably clenching my stomach or looking for a loo. 

However, I am convinced that others have more delicate digestive systems than I do, and thus probably should be even more cautious. Case in point -- once a friend and I spent 3-4 days in Istanbul prior to boarding a cruise. She knows my attitude about local water in most places. For some reason we never had a conversation about it in Istanbul, which I'd consider a gray area with regard to water safety. I wasn't super careful, but I mostly drank bottled water. She drank mostly tap water (refilling her bottle). The day we boarded our ship she became miserably uncomfortable. Next day -- to the ship doctor for medication. I'm pretty sure the water did it.

In visits to North Africa, we were advised not to drink local water, not to use ice and not to eat any fresh produce that was not appropriately washed (e.g., not washed in tap water). These are places where discretion is the better part of valor, as they say....

• Thanks 1

With refillable filter bottles I haven't bought bottled water in years. I have a filter for places with really bad water quality and one that is suppose to be for ok water but it is good for getting rid of chlorine flavour or any treatment flavour, it is particularly handy in the UAE😄. On ships I always fill up. I do find it funny in Europe where water quality is high that getting tap water is near impossible in restaurants, even when you speak the language they don't understand you just want a glass of tap water, they end up bringing you a bottle or nothing at all. Only once I had success and they even pimped it up with a slice of lemon😎. Anyway I don't bother asking anymore.

16 hours ago, lissie said:

why on earth did you not just refill a water bottle? Rome has drinkable water as far as  I recall.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rome has wonderful water BTW -- safe and no unpleasant taste. No reason not to drink it from the tap, or to fill up your bottle from one of the many free "drinking fountains" around the city. 

This experience of mine in Rome was in 2004.  I recall the guide books that I had read recommended against drinking the tap water.  My next experience there was in 2007 and, then, having learned my lesson about the effects of not drinking enough water, I did buy bottles of water.

Wherever I am in the world, I am cautious about the water.  I feel that its more safe in some places where I have visited, i.e. New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Chile, UK, Germany, Norway, Denmark, et al, than others.  Always bought water to drink in China, India, Japan.  

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Always bought water to drink in China, India, Japan.  

What was wrong with Japanese tap water during your visit? When I visited Japan's tap water was ranked one of the safest in the world. I did bring a filter for my bottle but not the advanced one. Overall I thought the water was OK though in the cities could be more chlorinated which was where the filter came in handy. I wouldn't have grouped Japan tap water with India and China🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bottled water is the biggest scam out there. Paying extra money for something that is literally pennies on the dollar. Not to mention how much BPA you're consuming with all of that crap. And no, I don't care to hear the Mexico water supporting argument.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Joebucks said:

And no, I don't care to hear the Mexico water supporting argument.

I don't exactly know what you are referring to but a few years ago we visited Mexico and they were doing a campaign to encourage locals to drink tap water as they were struggling with all the plastic waste from disposable water containers. Apparently the government had been updating and upgrading water delivery systems with filters, uv disinfection and purification systems for places they couldn't  upgrade pipes. I did use my strong bottle filter for our trip so I can't say I tried water straight from the tap but it does seem Mexico is trying to move away from bottled water.  

• Like 1