Will there be a problem?

rs45thompson

I was thinking about getting my booster shot today as extra protection.  My cruise is on October 9.  It is my third shot but it won't be 14 days between the shot and the cruise.  Will I have a problem?  I will call and confirm with carnival once they open.  Do you think it will give me a positive reading when I take my covid test 2 days before?  I am worried that I will be creating a problem for myself but would love the extra protection the booster would give.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

The shoreside check in people Carnival contracts with are not trained in the timing of a booster shot. I doubt Carnival has even considered this situation yet or what the CDC has said on the matter. I wouldn't touch the scenario you suggest with a 10 foot pole. I am however fortunate enough to have a few weeks left to get my booster. I'm sorry, but I think you have missed the booster boat.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3

Getting the vaccine will NOT cause you to test positive for Covid.

You will test positive for Covid if you have been in contact with someone who has Covid and you HAVE Covid.

That can happen at any time, whether you get a Covid vaccine or not.

As for the booster.. do you have to show that you got a booster? Can't you just show your first and second  shot?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

You will test positive for Covid if you have been in contact with someone who has Covid and you HAVE Covid.

As for the booster.. do you have to show that you got a booster? Can't you just show your first and second  shot?

My booster will be written on the same original card so all records are together. There are more spaces below the first 2 shots to write in more shots. 

I waited until I got off vista last sat and my birthday next week as I dont want to deal with a reaction during my birthday dinner. Mine can wait a week or two. If I was op od wait until I got off my cruise.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I think they add it to your card.  I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I wonder if I could "forget" my card.  That actually happened to me when I went to get my second shot, I literally forgot the card and they gave me another one.  So I have a card with my first shot and a card with my second shot.  So, if I "forget" the card maybe they will give me a third and I can leave that one at home?  It might work.

• Like 1

They do add to your card, however you have already had the two vaccines or one if Johnson and Johnson needed to cruise.  The booster will NOT cause you to test positive if having the PCR or rapid antigen however could possibly (and this is an extremely small false positive) if you were having blood drawn to check for antibodies however this is not required to cruise. We cruise this coming Saturday and are getting ours tomorrow

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dbrucern said:

They do add to your card, however you have already had the two vaccines or one if Johnson and Johnson needed to cruise.  The booster will NOT cause you to test positive if having the PCR or rapid antigen however could possibly (and this is an extremely small false positive) if you were having blood drawn to check for antibodies however this is not required to cruise. We cruise this coming Saturday and are getting ours tomorrow

Can you come back and let us know how it went?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

I just remember hearing that some states put it all on one card and others had seperate sheets for each dose.

Overall it sounds like there isn't one consistent way proof of vaccine is shown so that will be an advantage to not show a 3rd booster shot.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

I still have my Department of Defense Immunization Record from when I was a kid. It lists the dates of several polio boosters I received after I received the first polio shot. I won't mess around when I go for my covid booster. I'm bringing my CDC issued Covid Vaccination card with me for the booster so that it will be recorded.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

I just remember hearing that some states put it all on one card and others had separate sheets for each dose.

Overall it sounds like there isn't one consistent way proof of vaccine is shown so that will be an advantage to not show a 3rd booster shot.

Here in the U.S. the CDC issued the vaccination cards to the states. My best guess is Americans will be asked to bring their original vaccination card with them to reflect the administration of the 3rd (booster) dose. 

Maybe my logic is suffering from some sort of historical mishaps/events. If you have had the two required doses and/or the one required dose aren't you considered fully vaccinated? Why are we overplaying this issue? 

If you had your prior doses and your pre Cruise test shows a negative result, then why not just wait until you return from the Cruise to get the Booster? Are we concerned that the Boosters will run out? I just don't waste time on things that can be avoided. 

Learn to enjoy each day and enjoy your Cruises when we take them!!    

• Like 2

I would just wait to get my booster until I got back from my cruise.  STaff at the cruise port terminals might get confused by the 3rd vaccine recording and might deny you because it hasn't been 14 days since your last injection.  ANd yes, the booster shot should be recorded on your vaccine card.  I would want that in case ( in the future) you have to show proof of a booster within a certain time frame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Doesn’t it take 14 days for the vaccine to be effective?  If you are doing it for extra protection then that won’t necessarily be the case.

I found this online:

“We found that 7–13 days after the booster shot there is a 48–68 percent reduction in the odds of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 infection, and that 14–20 days after the booster the marginal effectiveness increases to 70–84 percent,” the researchers from Maccabi Healthcare Services reported.Sep 8, 2021

42 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

And you have to be a certain age or have underlying conditions to be eligible for booster right?  And those of us not having Pfizer previously can’t even get it anyway. 

Yes, you have to have had the Pfizer vaccine.  No, not just by age but by occupation also.  I fall under Education Staff.  This is what the CDC website says:

Occupations at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission include front line essential workers and health care workers as previously detailed by the CDC*

• First responders (healthcare workers, firefighters, police, congregate care staff)
  • Education staff (teachers, support staff, daycare workers)
  • Food and agriculture workers
  • Manufacturing workers
  • Corrections workers
  • U.S. Postal Service workers
  • Public transit workers
  • Grocery store workers
Edited by rs45thompson

16 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

Yes, you have to have had the Pfizer vaccine.  No, not just by age but by occupation also.  I fall under Education Staff.  This is what the CDC website says:

Occupations at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission include front line essential workers and health care workers as previously detailed by the CDC*

• First responders (healthcare workers, firefighters, police, congregate care staff)
  • Education staff (teachers, support staff, daycare workers)
  • Food and agriculture workers
  • Manufacturing workers
  • Corrections workers
  • U.S. Postal Service workers
  • Public transit workers
  • Grocery store workers

If you factor in the age/underlying condition clause, doesn't that cover about 90% of the US population over the age of 18?   Nice way for the CDC to circumvent the FDA recommendations IMHO