Anyone else worried about test results?

We are sailing on Harmony OTS in January.  We are vaccinated (and as of next week, boosted).  I am seriously concerned about either 1) a false positive, or 2) an asymptomatic positive.  After two years, I am SO ready to cruise.  Anyone else feel this way?  Is there anything we can do to avoid either result?

• Like 1

DH and I both work in fully masked workplaces, but in the weeks before our cruise, we plan to cut out everything else that isn't strictly necessary. We're also fully vaccinated and not overly worried about a bad outcome if we did get Covid, but we want to do everything we can to get on that dang cruise! 😉

• Like 5

We cruise in November.  It may be overkill but we are locking down 3 weeks prior.  By that I mean no unnecessary trips into the grocery store, no eating out or visiting with friends without masks on.  No hair appointments or pedicures.  Less then 25% of people wear masks here.  I do have to work but masks are absolutely required there.  I also have doctor appointments but again everyone will be masked. It will be take out and grocery pick up and Amazon.  We really want to go so can sacrifice.  

The good news is the delta wave for hospitalization in our area is down almost 50% of what it was a month ago.  That doesn’t mean it’s gone of course but there are less cases, which will mean less chance of exposure.

We have some home tests from Sam’s that we might do a day or 2 before we test for peace of mind.

• Like 2

It really is hard to get excited about the cruise, knowing two days before we can be tested positive and our plans will be cancelled. 😞  The build excitement is just not there for me.  I will be excited two days before. 😉

• Like 2

In the weeks and months ahead of your test, make sure you’re following basic sanitary and social distancing protocols: wash your hands often and thoroughly, using a quality anti-bacterial soap, and for at least 20-30 seconds; keep your hands away from you face - particularly the nose and mouth; wear a good fitting surgical mask, and wear it properly - mine from Armbrust are the best I’ve ever found; never touch the inside of your mask, use a new mask if you think the old one has become compromised; and keep hand sanitizer and a handy pack of Clorox wipes in your car or purse. Never drop your guard. Never. It only takes one misstep. And don’t be afraid of what others may think as your practicing all of these safeguards. Your reward is waiting dockside. 

As mentioned in previous posts, locking down, skipping dining-in establishments, and using grocery pick-up and online ordering services at least two to three weeks before your cruise is a great idea. Personally, I’m even missing one of my beloved Broadway in Pittsburgh season ticket performances that’s at the end of this month just to stay away from very large indoor crowds, and I don’t cruise until December.

My workplace absolutely mandates masks, and, because it’s a hospital, compliance in compulsory. There’s the rare occasional holdout with the mask hanging below their nose, but they’re respectfully reminded of the rules. For my own use when I’m away from work, I have boxes and boxes or top quality surgical masks and N95’s at home ready and waiting.

And If you’re traveling to the ship pre-cruise and have a hotel stay, take disinfectant spray and generously use it on common surfaces before settling in. 

I can’t say that I’m not worried about the test results. I’m still 60+ days away. But I’m doing every possible thing that I can do to stay safe and protect my cruise investment. 

😎

Edited by matt1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Neither of those will prevent a false positive.

I think that’s the reason why am scheduling multiple tests, including at home tests, in those two days before my cruise. Just in case one of them is a false positive. 

4 minutes ago, matt1 said:

In the weeks and months ahead of your test, make sure you’re following basic sanitary and social distancing protocols: wash your hands often and thoroughly, using a quality anti-bacterial soap, and for at least 20-30 seconds; keep your hands away from you face - particularly the nose and mouth; wear a good fitting surgical mask, and wear it properly - mine from Armbrust are the best I’ve ever found; never touch the inside of your mask, use a new mask if you think the old one has become compromised; and keep hand sanitizer and a handy pack of Clorox wipes in your car or purse. Never drop your guard. Never. It only takes one misstep. And don’t be afraid of what others may think as your practicing all of these safeguards. Your reward is waiting dockside. 

As mentioned in previous posts, locking down, skipping dining-in establishments, and using grocery pick-up and online ordering services at least two to three weeks before your cruise is a great idea. Personally, I’m even missing one of my beloved Broadway in Pittsburgh season ticket performances that’s at the end of this month just to stay away from very large indoor crowds, and I don’t cruise until December.

My workplace absolutely mandates masks, and, because it’s a hospital, compliance in compulsory. There’s the rare occasional holdout with the mask hanging below their nose, but they’re respectfully reminded of the rules. For my own use when I’m away from work, I have boxes and boxes or top quality surgical masks and N95’s at home ready and waiting.

And If you’re traveling to the ship pre-cruise and have a hotel stay, take disinfectant spray and generously use it on common surfaces before settling in. 

I’m can’t say that I’m not worried about the test results. I’m still 60+ days away. But I’m doing every possible thing that I can do to stay safe and protect my cruise investment. 

And if you really think about it, all of what you wrote just to go on vacation is insane.

• Like 6

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

And if you really think about it, all of what you wrote just to go on vacation is insane.

I’ve been doing that anyways, and everyday, since the beginning of this pandemic. Not just to go on a cruise. Good, safe, and healthy hygiene practices are first-nature to me (but apparently not to everyone). Working in a hospital teaches you this.

I plan on making it to retirement, too, here in a few years. 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matt1 said:

I’ve been doing that anyways, and everyday, since the beginning of this pandemic. Not just to go on a cruise. Good, safe, and healthy hygiene practices are first-nature to me (but apparently not to everyone). Working in a hospital teaches you this.

I plan on making it to retirement, too, here in a few years. 😉

I'm a physician and well aware of good hygiene practices. Thanks.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm a physician and well aware of good hygiene practices. Thanks.

Being a physician, being aware and “knowing”, and being that someone who actually practices good hygiene, can often be two different things completely. I’ve seen plenty of doctors and nurses use the restroom and not wash their hands afterwards, pick their noses while walking down hallways, and handling patients food trays at the hospitals without observing proper hygiene. A “title” doesn’t make someone “all-knowing”. You have to practice what your preach. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes! I'm totally paranoid- especially since there are 6 people in our family including 4 kids (2 will be vaccinated for sure and hoping all four before we leave) so our odds increase! I'm going to get the antigen test for everyone since the chance of getting a positive result if you are asymptomatic is a lot lower than the PCR tests! Fingers crossed tough!

Thanks to everyone for the advice/reassurances.  Our cruise is immediately post-holidays for us, so isolation will be challenging.  We also have unvaccinated grandchildren that we babysit every week.  As much as I am excited to cruise, I won't miss Christmas with my grandbabies.  My choice, I guess.  It just feels so unfair that the fully vaccinated must be subjected to testing to protect the unvaccinated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Especially since there are so many places to go on a vacation without any of the hoops to jump through that are required just to get on a ship.

• Like 2