Negative Covid Test Required

JimmB

Good news. There are multiple on TripAdvisor of the Abbott BinaxNow Home Test RX only test (proctored version) being accepted in Europe in August, September and October. The key is to print and bring the email of your results with you.

4 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Jan,

What city do you live in Kentucky? In Louisville, CVS (PCR and Rapid Antigen) and Walmart (PCR) do testing. Wild Health is doing free PCR tests throughout the Commonwealth!

BinaxNow RX proctored text is reported as accepted for Italy and other European countries on TripAdvisor. There are multiple reports.

15 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

Jan,

What city do you live in Kentucky? In Louisville, CVS (PCR and Rapid Antigen) and Walmart (PCR) do testing. Wild Health is doing free PCR tests throughout the Commonwealth!

We are in Elizabethtown. Currently checking online at our local Walmart, Kroger, CVS  we can get the PCR, but with no 2 day guarantee.  They do not offer the Antigen test.  And with Thanksgiving in between the day of our test and embarkation day, I have concern about our test results getting back in time.  We would like to get an antigen test as back up since Viking, in their new Oct. 5, Covid notification indicate that will be acceptable.

Thanks for your information----I will check out Wild Health and also CVS in Louisville for antigen tests.

Jan

11 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

BinaxNow RX proctored text is reported as accepted for Italy and other European countries on TripAdvisor. There are multiple reports.

We will not be in Europe on this cruise (Central America/Panama Canal).  I was told by a Viking agent on the phone that NO at-home tests will be accepted on this cruise.  I assume that means even the home proctored one like BinaxNow RX.  Still a month and half away so things could change.🙂

Jan

43 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

We will not be in Europe on this cruise (Central America/Panama Canal).  I was told by a Viking agent on the phone that NO at-home tests will be accepted on this cruise.  I assume that means even the home proctored one like BinaxNow RX.  Still a month and half away so things could change.🙂

Jan

If in a pinch come up to Louisville. The Wild Health PCR test has come back in 24 hours without exception for us. It is at Sullivan College. With home tests the key words are proctored and RX. It is prescribed by an eMed doc and proctored. You receive a print out. Regardless, the Ville has Antigen tests at CVS on Sundays. Walmart M-F has always returned in 24 hours. Th lab is Quest and is local. Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

Just to confuse us even MORE, Viking has changed it up once again.  We got an email this morning and they've updated the website to match.   COVID-19 Testing (vikingcruises.com)  

The email says the Pre-Cruise Requirements (found under our specific itinerary) will be updated in the coming days but for now still reflect the changes made on October 5th which are completely different to what appears below, at least for our 11/17/21 cruise, FLL to LA on Orion.

Here are the Cliff Notes (at the moment, anyway) ... and notice there's no mention of anything other than PCR test and it's back to 72 hours before boarding your first flight.

Effective for departures through December 31, 2021, Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours of boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.  PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 compared to antigen “rapid” tests; as such, PCR is also Viking’s diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. Traveling with a copy of your negative PCR test result is an added layer of protection for you and your fellow travelers—and will be required for embarkation on your Viking ship.

Edited by zelker

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Just to confuse us even MORE, Viking has changed it up once again.  We got an email this morning and they've updated the website to match.   COVID-19 Testing (vikingcruises.com)  

The email says the Pre-Cruise Requirements (found under our specific itinerary) will be updated in the coming days but for now still reflect the changes made on October 5th which are completely different to what appears below, at least for our 11/17/21 cruise, FLL to LA on Orion.

Here are the Cliff Notes (at the moment, anyway) ... and notice there's no mention of anything other than PCR test and it's back to 72 hours before boarding your first flight.

Effective for departures through December 31, 2021, Viking will require all guests to take a COVID-19 PCR (nasal swab or saliva) test within 72 hours of boarding their first outbound flight from their home country.  PCR tests are considered the gold standard for COVID-19 compared to antigen “rapid” tests; as such, PCR is also Viking’s diagnostics platform for testing on board our vessels. Traveling with a copy of your negative PCR test result is an added layer of protection for you and your fellow travelers—and will be required for embarkation on your Viking ship.

Actually, this would make it easier for us.  We are on the FLL-LA cruise on Dec. 24, but leaving home on the 22.  This way we can get tested the day before we leave—if we can find a vaccination site other than our regional hospital, which our doctor says is slow with results.  But haven’t had an email from Viking and we still have the Oct. 5 notice on the resources page for our cruise, saying PCR or antigen test 2 days before embarkation.  We shall see…

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Actually, this would make it easier for us.  We are on the FLL-LA cruise on Dec. 24, but leaving home on the 22.  This way we can get tested the day before we leave—if we can find a vaccination site other than our regional hospital, which our doctor says is slow with results.  But haven’t had an email from Viking and we still have the Oct. 5 notice on the resources page for our cruise, saying PCR or antigen test 2 days before embarkation.  We shall see…

We booked the same cruise today and leaving home on the 22nd.  See you on board!

• Like 1

We got the same email today for our December Hawaii cruise - PCR test up to 72 hours prior to flight departure time.  This is a very doable and reasonable requirement.  I am pleased and hope it stays that way for our cruise.  Better safe then sorry.

On 10/12/2021 at 2:39 PM, zelker said:

Yep, we got that email too for our Nov. 26 Star Central America/Panama Canal cruise.  However, the note also says on the second page---"to insure you meet the necessary travel requirements for both Viking and the countries you will visit, please review the Pre-cruise Requirements found un the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website"  When you read this website information page you are directed to get a Covid 19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test.  US/Canadian citizens must get a test no more than 2 days before boarding your ship. 

I am wondering if the "72 hour window before boarding the first outboard flight" is for folks flying from overseas countries and the 2 days window for US/Canada citizens. 

I am confused and frustrated not really understanding what is required.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:39 PM, zelker said:
5 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

Yep, we got that email too for our Nov. 26 Star Central America/Panama Canal cruise.  However, the note also says on the second page---"to insure you meet the necessary travel requirements for both Viking and the countries you will visit, please review the Pre-cruise Requirements found un the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website"  When you read this website information page you are directed to get a Covid 19 NAAT/PCR or antigen test.  US/Canadian citizens must get a test no more than 2 days before boarding your ship. 

I am wondering if the "72 hour window before boarding the first outboard flight" is for folks flying from overseas countries and the 2 days window for US/Canada citizens. 

Viking says they will be updating the individual cruise resources tabs soon:

To ensure you meet the necessary travel requirements for both Viking and the countries you will visit, please review the Pre-Cruise Requirements found under the Resources tab of your itinerary page on the Viking website and follow all guidelines that Viking provides via email and on MyVikingJourney.com. (Pre-Cruise Requirements documents will be updated to reflect COVID-19 PCR Testing requirements through December 31, 2021 in the coming days.)

3 hours ago, jmfdr said:

You and me both.  I tried to get some clarification on whether they really meant "prior to your first flight" for our cruise with the Viking Customer Service agent I have been communicating with and she re-sent me the October 5 communication that said either PCR or antigen test was OK but only if done 48 hours prior to boarding.  Mass confusion at Viking.  I frankly have no idea what they want.

If you haven't already done so, log into your MVJ and see if they've sent you yet another confusing, contradictory email regarding testing recommendations and/or requirements.  

As first-time Viking cruisers next month on Orion, we are unimpressed with how poorly they are handling this.

Edited by zelker
  • Like 3

We are also confused and frustrated... the different notifications we"ve received and the information Viking has on-line  doesn't provide a clear picture of what is really needed.  This morning my wife called Viking and was told by the person she spoke to that cruises departing from FLL (we are doing the FLL to LAX cruise in Mid November) only require a negative antigen test done within 48 of departure. My wife questioned that and was told that two weeks before sailing we will get the definitive set of instructions.

I hope that viking monitors this thread and is able to clarify this problem ASAP because most of us seem to be in the dark through no fault of our own...

Fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, Torquato said:

We are also confused and frustrated... the different notifications we"ve received and the information Viking has on-line  doesn't provide a clear picture of what is really needed.  This morning my wife called Viking and was told by the person she spoke to that cruises departing from FLL (we are doing the FLL to LAX cruise in Mid November) only require a negative antigen test done within 48 of departure. My wife questioned that and was told that two weeks before sailing we will get the definitive set of instructions.

I hope that viking monitors this thread and is able to clarify this problem ASAP because most of us seem to be in the dark through no fault of our own...

Fingers crossed.

Thanks, I do hope it will all be clarified in a future note.  Comforting to know that we are not the only ones confused by the mixed messaging on covid testing requirements.

56 minutes ago, Torquato said:

Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, this is so typical of cruising in the post-COVID World.

Between now and your cruise in about 5 weeks the requirements can change multiple times. Suggest checking requirements a little earlier than 2 weeks before departure, so if you aren't comfortable, you can cancel using the RFG.

When the US introduced vaccine requirements to arrive by air and left the definition of "fully vaccinated" up to the US CDC, we didn't even wait until 2 weeks before the Hawaii cruise. We cancelled straight away, as I have no faith in the US CDC accepting mixed vaccines before mid-November. 

Confusing? How about this section of the new email I received:

"It is important to note that some countries already have COVID-19 testing requirements that may be different from the Viking requirement. If the first country of your itinerary already requires a negative COVID-19 test result for entry, there is no additional testing requirement. The negative COVID-19 test results you are using to meet the country’s entry requirements will meet the Viking testing requirement."

What if an Antigen test is acceptable in the first country? This seems to override the 72 hour PCR requirement.

And...what happens if you take the PCR test in plenty of time and your first flight is delayed! Anyone have a headache? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

"It is important to note that some countries already have COVID-19 testing requirements that may be different from the Viking requirement. If the first country of your itinerary already requires a negative COVID-19 test result for entry, there is no additional testing requirement. The negative COVID-19 test results you are using to meet the country’s entry requirements will meet the Viking testing requirement."

What if an Antigen test is acceptable in the first country? This seems to override the 72 hour PCR requirement.

And...what happens if you take the PCR test in plenty of time and your first flight is delayed! Anyone have a headache? 

Yes, we have headaches, and also probably Viking and all the other cruise lines.  🤪 

We just figure that Viking doesn't want to turn us away from  boarding and will accommodate us no matter when given and which negative test we can provide.  My husband keeps telling me this to keep me from stressing.  

Our cruise departs from FLL and thus we don't have to be concerned with requirements or travel delays for arrival in a different country.  Another layer of worry, I can appreciate that.  I look forward to getting off the ship in our Central American ports, but if we can't meet the testing requirements or the country is red-listed I won't mourn-----we will still be on a ship at sea.!!!

4 minutes ago, jmfdr said:

Yes, we have headaches, and also probably Viking and all the other cruise lines.  🤪 

We just figure that Viking doesn't want to turn us away from  boarding and will accommodate us no matter when given and which negative test we can provide.  My husband keeps telling me this to keep me from stressing.  

Our cruise departs from FLL and thus we don't have to be concerned with requirements or travel delays for arrival in a different country.  Another layer of worry, I can appreciate that.  I look forward to getting off the ship in our Central American ports, but if we can't meet the testing requirements or the country is red-listed I won't mourn-----we will still be on a ship at sea.!!!

We have two country requirements and Viking's requirements. Currently 3 tests will be needed.

46 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

As in Italy with the Anitgen requirement.  I was wondering that myself in the very very confusing Viking language of this email that i also received.   And again, who at Viking checks that you got it done in time before the flight?  and when?

• Like 1

My take on this, after traveling in August on a Viking River cruise.,but also after getting the information about needing a PCR test before my next ocean cruise in November is that Viking is requiring us until December 31 to get a PCR test within 72 hours before our flight leaves at our first destination. My understanding is they will then look at  that PCR test before we are allowed to board the ship.

12 hours ago, angela miller said:

My take on this, after traveling in August on a Viking River cruise.,but also after getting the information about needing a PCR test before my next ocean cruise in November is that Viking is requiring us until December 31 to get a PCR test within 72 hours before our flight leaves at our first destination. My understanding is they will then look at  that PCR test before we are allowed to board the ship.

Yes, but we have been receiving conflicting messages from Viking.  Some advise 2 days prior, some say antigen tests will be accepted etc, etc.

• Like 1

I must admit I’m getting a bit concerned about boarding.  We are on a January 2 cruise and leaving home on the 1st.  We also live in a small town (BLuffton, SC].  Where in the world am I suppose to find a testing site around here on December 31??

• Like 1