No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022 :(

6 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Let's hope you're right

I've been watching this guy's projections and tracking of outbreaks in Australia and now I'm in New Zealand (just in time to go through your omicron wave, too!) I'll be watching the NZ one as well.

Here's the NZ page  - he hones it every day based on the data released.

https://chrisbillington.net/COVID_NZ.html

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I've been watching this guy's projections and tracking of outbreaks in Australia and now I'm in New Zealand (just in time to go through your omicron wave, too!) I'll be watching the NZ one as well.

Here's the NZ page  - he hones it every day based on the data released.

https://chrisbillington.net/COVID_NZ.html

Cool - I'll stick with the pics and I assume the stats  are correct - but very cool 

19 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

NSW has gone form the 6K's to over 10K in 2 days.😡😷

It did that last week as well. All the people who party like mad on Friday and Saturday nights then discover they aren't feeling well on Tuesday or Wednesday because they were partying with people who had Covid.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It did that last week as well. All the people who party like mad on Friday and Saturday nights then discover they aren't feeling well on Tuesday or Wednesday because they were partying with people who had Covid.

Is that factual ? Have you got sources ?

51 minutes ago, cruiselover53 said:

Is that factual ? Have you got sources ?

No, i was actually being facetious. 🤣

But it is a logical supposition based on the average incubation time of Omicron and the fact that it's summer barbecue time. It's not the first time I've noticed a pattern like that except with Delta the rise was Thursdays and Fridays as Delta had a longer incubation time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But it is a logical supposition based on the average incubation time of Omicron and the fact that it's summer barbecue time. It's not the first time I've noticed a pattern like that except with Delta the rise was Thursdays and Fridays as Delta had a longer incubation time.

Ok there you go

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The same happens in Victoria. There are more school aged children contracting Covid but that was expected by the states as soon as school returned. But the numbers are nowhere near as many as  expected. 

2 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

ABC news has stated 20000 school kids tested positive in the last 2 weeks. These figures are for NSW.

Scary, but with NSW averaging 140,000 new cases a fortnight, the school numbers do not surprise me.

Almost daily the school bus contractors down this way report a covid case or three amongst students.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Scary, but with NSW averaging 140,000 new cases a fortnight, the school numbers do not surprise me.

Almost daily the school bus contractors down this way report a covid case or three amongst students.

Despite the school kids adding to the numbers, overall the numbers have been dropping over the past fortnight which is a good sign. The return to school hasn't had as big an effect as some people feared.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Despite the school kids adding to the numbers, overall the numbers have been dropping over the past fortnight which is a good sign. The return to school hasn't had as big an effect as some people feared.

They went up today (NSW) from 6,000 to 10,000 it ain't done with us yet.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They went up today (NSW) from 6,000 to 10,000 it ain't done with us yet.

No, they went down a bit today, under 10,000. Since the numbers bounce up and down the best way to compare them is using rolling daily average calculated over the past 7 days, which is 8303 today. A couple of weeks ago it was over 12,000.

• Like 1

Latest UPDATE:

"Hi everyone, we would like to provide an update on our New Zealand operations.
In the absence of an agreed restart plan for cruising in New Zealand, P&O Cruises Australia has announced the cancellation of its 2022 Auckland cruise season.
The announcement affects 21 cruises that were scheduled to depart Auckland from July 5, 2022 to November 27, 2022.
We certainly wish to apologise to our guests for the disruption of their holiday plans and also to our loyal suppliers and travel partners.
While we have had useful discussions with New Zealand officials and expect these to continue, uncertainty remains as to whether cruising is likely to resume there in 2022.
We look forward to returning to New Zealand next year for an Auckland cruise season beginning in June 2023. P&O Cruises and sister brands also remain hopeful of being able to cruise to New Zealand from Australia later this year."

I'm in New Zealand at the moment. I'm surprised to keep hearing the anti-vax mantra of 'it's just a cold' even from doctors who, frankly, should know better, and this is no tjust coming from people who are anti-vax  - it seems to be the prevailing understanding of what omicron is.

Pity they haven't looked across the ditch to Victoria and NSW and learnt from what we went through (and are still going through) there. I told a kiwi this morning the numbers of deaths we are still having in Melbourne and he said 'well, why haven't I heard about that?'. I guess the media here have chosen not to report numbers of deaths in Australian states. Pity because it's a good reality check and might have saved NZ a world of pain. I suspect their health system will be close to collapse in the next three or four weeks. RATs apparently not available to buy here over the counter until next month.

I think after they go through this they'll be more eager to open their borders as the worst will already have happened. There'll no longer be a reason to keep visitors and the disease out because the disease will already be here.

I can understand P&O's decision. Takes time to organise their schedules so they can't be kept on tenter hooks forever.

5 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'm in New Zealand at the moment. I'm surprised to keep hearing the anti-vax mantra of 'it's just a cold' even from doctors who, frankly, should know better, and this is no tjust coming from people who are anti-vax  - it seems to be the prevailing understanding of what omicron is.

Pity they haven't looked across the ditch to Victoria and NSW and learnt from what we went through (and are still going through) there. I told a kiwi this morning the numbers of deaths we are still having in Melbourne and he said 'well, why haven't I heard about that?'. I guess the media here have chosen not to report numbers of deaths in Australian states. Pity because it's a good reality check and might have saved NZ a world of pain. I suspect their health system will be close to collapse in the next three or four weeks. RATs apparently not available to buy here over the counter until next month.

I think after they go through this they'll be more eager to open their borders as the worst will already have happened. There'll no longer be a reason to keep visitors and the disease out because the disease will already be here.

I can understand P&O's decision. Takes time to organise their schedules so they can't be kept on tenter hooks forever.

to correct Littlefish,

R.A.T.S. are actually widely available here now, through doctors and official Chanels, they will be freely available at pharmacies and shops at the end of February...not March when  another 13 million units  arrive.

There have been a couple fo doctors who have lost their licences for being antivaxers but like all countries in the world there is a small vocal minority of people who do not "get" the Pandemic. It is not widely spread and in general NZers are behind the Government and the measure they have taken.

Sorry but I can't let more misinformation being spread.

On 10/9/2021 at 9:53 PM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Cruising will not resume into New Zealand until the nation has achieved its 90 per cent vaccination rate, which is well above Australia’s target of 80 per cent before international borders re-open.

Current full vaccination rate for over 12s in NZ is 94%.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/25/2022 at 5:57 PM, roscoe39 said:

to correct Littlefish,

R.A.T.S. are actually widely available here now, through doctors and official Chanels, they will be freely available at pharmacies and shops at the end of February...not March when  another 13 million units  arrive.

There have been a couple fo doctors who have lost their licences for being antivaxers but like all countries in the world there is a small vocal minority of people who do not "get" the Pandemic. It is not widely spread and in general NZers are behind the Government and the measure they have taken.

Sorry but I can't let more misinformation being spread.

I was actually referring to the availability of RATs in pharmacies so people could just buy them to test themselves at home whether symptomatic or not. The information I used re timing of the availability of RATs in pharmacies was from the RNZ website - several articles all saying the same thing; 'next month'; 'March'. Glad to hear they are so widely available now.

RNZ also had a article (which has now been pulled so I cannot link to it here) quoting an 'Auckland GP, Dr Baker' who was quoted describing covid as I said, above. (This is not to be confused with epidemiologist Dr Baker who is often quoted in the media). Any 'misinformation' should be attributed to those sources.

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I was actually referring to the availability of RATs in pharmacies

thanks for clearing that up LitlteFish, the local pharmacy here in Auckland had RATS today and I bought some,  the  major supermarket down the road from me will have supplies from next week. 

Hope you keep safe where you are from.

• 1 month later...

I heard about all of this in January and pulled out opting for a Domestic Cruise in it's place for November.the odd part is everything was fully booked all I needed was a domestic flight which was finally done.Ex Brisbane doing the great barrier reef.the beauty is this is going to a lot of places we the regular tourist tend to overlook unless we are backpackers.I chose it for needing a real holiday badly.

• Like 1