No Cruising In New Zealand Before October 2022 :(

17 hours ago, NSWP said:

My son say's the first 3 Antarctic expedition cruises from Ushaia  on the 189 berth brand new Ocean Victory have been full. Which is good.

248376128_3154103201500701_6926849820615791333_n.jpg.0d3aaf036f9fbb347ddfd831272c475b.jpg

Wow what a wonderful ship for cruising Antarctica.  Impressive top rating 6.  This would be a dream ship to cruise in luxury to Antarctica.  What a contrast from the old basic ships which used to cruise to Antarctica!  When my daughter went on her first cruise to Antarctica she went in a three berth cabin to be able to afford the cost.  Second time was on Hurtigruten's Fram twin berth, which was up market then. 

22 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Anyway, Australia and New Zealand will do their own thing on this. NZ being much more conservative than Australia as we've already had and having, rampant infections.

I think that is about to change very quickly - 840 odd cases  yesterday - it will double again today or tomorrow I think.  Once its all over the place the border controls will drop quickly . It was already announced that the July & Oct dates are the LATEST dates and may come foreward 

4 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

Well did you talk your son into taking you? 😀

The ship looks good

I could get on, but 41 hr flight does not appeal, no direct flights from Australia to South America currently. So 41 hours in 3 flights and transits, Syd - Dallas - BA - Ushaia. Could not handle that.

Edited by NSWP

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I could get on, but 41 hr flight does not appeal, no direct flights from Australia to South America currently. So 41 hours in 3 flights and transits, Syd - Dallas - BA - Ushaia. Could not handle that.

Me neither.  It was long enough to Santiago, then BA, then Ushuaia.  Maybe they'll start direct flights to Santiago again and you can have stopovers en route.   

(Scoot has recommenced flights from Singapore to the Gold Coast.  So maybe more airlines will start flying again.)

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

When we went 2014 flew out of Auckland AIRNZ business to Sydney then Aero Lingous business or something like that to Buenos Aires, cant remember travel time where we caught the ship after 4 days there which was still actually cheaper including the hotel  than Qantas . 21 days on the Quest via Antarctica Falkland Islands then up the Chilean Coast where we caught a plane to Vegas for a week at a convention. Trouble was packing and also the accountant would not let me claim it as a long business trip  Well Vegas was work related just took awhile to  get there

Still reckon its the bestest cruise we have ever done

19 minutes ago, springaussie said:

I hope New Zealand doesn’t introduce compulsory cruise company tours to leave the ship like some Caribbean and Europe ports are doing. 

I think it’s probably likely in the short term, NZ is pretty strict . 

There‘s a post on RC blog and a couple of others that Scott Morrison has pledged $40mil to the cruise lines to start cruising soon.

If it’s true ,it’s a good sign.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, springaussie said:

I hope New Zealand doesn’t introduce compulsory cruise company tours to leave the ship like some Caribbean and Europe ports are doing. 

Guarantee in OZ and NZ that some of the protocols to be able to restart cruising will be “ship only” excursions among a raft of other conditions and restrictions.

And we are happy to comply so we can cruise again 👏

52 minutes ago, springaussie said:

That would be seriously annoying as we cruise NZ to catch up with family and friends there. We'd probably cancel our currently booked NZ cruise in that case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it’s probably likely in the short term, NZ is pretty strict . 

There‘s a post on RC blog and a couple of others that Scott Morrison has pledged $40mil to the cruise lines to start cruising soon.

Links please.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That would be seriously annoying as we cruise NZ to catch up with family and friends there. We'd probably cancel our currently booked NZ cruise in that case.

I think there are many Aussies like me who wouldn't go on a cruise with ship tours only.  "Treasures of cruising the world with Bill and Mary Ann" are currently sharing their displeasure by staying on the ship when they can't tour independently.  It takes away the joy of discovery in independent travel. 

BTW Why does the Federal Govt. think it is OK to spend $40 million on opening up international tourism, yet can't afford funds to help people and small businesses which really need a helping hand following the pandemic?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Links don’t work here’s one of the things getting around,I think it’s a cutting out of the guardian,
like I said I don’t know how true it is.

BBF8830E-91C0-4AAD-9833-46318A74C179.thumb.png.c50cc9777960b1588bbbd18e25cbb592.png

'Announcement money' is rather like Monopoly money, isn't it? i.e. you can talk about big numbers but there's not much there, of substance.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

$40 mil to 'the cruise lines' is most definitely what the snippet from The Guardian doesn't say.

Deep pockets; short arms.

26 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

$40 mil to 'the cruise lines' is most definitely what the snippet from The Guardian doesn't say.

Deep pockets; short arms.

I knew I would have to explain.My original post was directed at springaussie who is very switch on and I thought he may have some knowledge.

There was another that said for the cruise industry . As I said I don’t know how much truth is in the posts .

Edited by Chiliburn

The reason I wanted links was due to finding nothing on it myself. I found the 40 m for tourism on opening the international border.

I found where Scomo said states will negotiate the start of cruising.

However, Hunt kyboshed the lifting of biosecurity rules by extending the ban on cruising for another few months

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It is pretty clear that the $40m is for international advertising of Australia as a destination, and nothing to do with the cruise industry. On TV a few nights ago they had snips of some of these ads. 

38 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

It is pretty clear that the $40m is for international advertising of Australia as a destination, and nothing to do with the cruise industry. On TV a few nights ago they had snips of some of these ads. 

Exactly. As reported, the $40m, if it ever eventuates, is said to go towards a marketing campaign via Tourism Australia, which seems pretty pointless given the state of the world. Any money should be paid to businesses who have struggled to survive or to individuals who have lost income.

• Like 1

The latest NZ border reopening plans all include a requirement to self-isolate for 7 days on arrival from overseas.  October is a bit vague though.

https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/travel-to-new-zealand/when-new-zealand-borders-open/#step-5-—-from-october-2022

Of course this could all change.  October is still eight months away.

5 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

The latest NZ border reopening plans all include a requirement to self-isolate for 7 days on arrival from overseas.  October is a bit vague though.

https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/travel-to-new-zealand/when-new-zealand-borders-open/#step-5-—-from-october-2022

Of course this could all change.  October is still eight months away.

I think they will almost certainly bring that date forward (and the July one) - they indicated as much when it was announced. And bar some catastrophic new variant - we'll be through the worst of Omicron by Easter 

Just now, lissie said:

I think they will almost certainly bring that date forward (and the July one) - they indicated as much when it was announced. And bar some catastrophic new variant - we'll be through the worst of Omicron by Easter 

I don't think Easter.  Maybe by the end of May.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Me neither.  It was long enough to Santiago, then BA, then Ushuaia.  Maybe they'll start direct flights to Santiago again and you can have stopovers en route.   

(Scoot has recommenced flights from Singapore to the Gold Coast.  So maybe more airlines will start flying again.)

Plus almost impossible for me to get Travel Insurance for a trip like that, in the current climate.