Never book guaranteed cabin again !

Back in April 2020, I booked a Central Park Balcony guarantee for our upcoming November cruise on Harmony . Just checked and see that they gave me a Board Walk Balcony room 😫.

I called C&A and a nice lady who is working from home told me that I booked Neighborhood Balcony guarantee room. No I said, I booked Central Park Balcony cabin guarantee .Then she said since I booked my Harmony cruise with a very low price, she can give me a Central Park room but I have to pay $500 something more. I pointed out that November 28th prices went down so low, somebody could book the Central Park Balcony room and pay only $187 more than me, I have no idea why they want me to pay $500 more.
I told her if she can’t help me then I need to call Resolution Deck, she said I am Resolution Deck.

She put me on hold to talked to her supervisor then come back and still want me to pay the different $500, I said “ I am sorry but why do I have to pay for the room I booked in the first place? “ I know the Board Walk Balcony room is more expensive but Central Park room was the one I want and booked.

She put me on hold again then hangs up on me, there was a message tell me the business hours is over and I need to call back tomorrow 😂
I logged in My cruise account and there it is my Central Park Balcony cabin. Just hope they don’t swap that room again.
 What is going on with Royal? This put a bad taste in my mouth. I have always got great customer service before.

Have 2 more cruise with them next year , Lucky I picked our own room.Never want to go through this again.

Edited by Moon Orchid
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Moon Orchid said:

Back in April 2020, I booked a Central Park Balcony guarantee for our upcoming November cruise on Harmony . Just checked and see that they gave me a Board Walk Balcony room 😫.

I called C&A and a nice lady who is working from home told me that I booked Neighborhood Balcony guarantee room. No I said, I booked Central Park Balcony cabin guarantee .Then she said since I booked my Harmony cruise with a very low price, she can give me a Central Park room but I have to pay $500 something more. I pointed out that November 28th prices went down so low, somebody could book the Central Park Balcony room and pay only $187 more than me, I have no idea why they want me to pay $500 more.
I told her if she can’t help me then I need to call Resolution Deck, she said I am Resolution Deck.

She put me on hold to talked to her supervisor then come back and still want me to pay the different $500, I said “ I am sorry but why do I have to pay for the room I booked in the first place? “ I know the Board Walk Balcony room is more expensive but Central Park room was the one I want and booked.

She put me on hold again then hangs up on me, there was a message tell me the business hours is over and I need to call back tomorrow 😂
I logged in My cruise account and there it is my Central Park Balcony cabin. Just hope they don’t swap that room again.
 What is going on with Royal? This put a bad taste in my mouth. I have always got great customer service before.

Have 2 more cruise with them next year , Lucky I picked our own room.Never want to go through this again.

You got what you want and even without paying extra. Why are you complaining here?

There is also just Neighborhood Guaranteed as a category but no Central Park Guaranteed.

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Moon Orchid said:

I booked a Central Park Balcony guarantee

I have checked high and low, and can not find a booking code for a Central Park Balcony Guarantee. There are only Neighborhood Guarantee Balcony and Oceanview Guarantee balcony. If you want to book a specific neighborhood, you can only book a specific room with no guarantee.

What was your booking stateroom category?

XN - GUARANTEE - NEIGHBORHOOD BALCONY STATEROOM
XB - GUARANTEE - BALCONY
Those are the only 2 guarantee balcony stateroom categories I can find.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

You got what you want and even without paying extra. Why are you complaining here?

There is also just Neighborhood Guaranteed as a category but no Central Park Guaranteed.

I got my invoice which said Central Park balcony guarantee. Only cruise with Royal for 12 years but I know what I booked. 😏

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Moon Orchid said:

I got my invoice which said Central Park balcony guarantee. Only cruise with Royal for 12 years but I know what I booked. 😏

I believe you. It sounds like Boardwalk Balcony assignment was a slight upgrade. But I am glad that they were able to give you what you booked.:classic_smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moon Orchid said:

Was it booked straight with Royal or with a new TA? There should be a cabin category there. I'm glad you got the room you wanted. I'm just curious, because don't see any cabin categories that state Central Park Balcony Guarantee for Oasis class ships.

Here are all the stateroom categories for Balcony staterooms that are bookable on an oasis class ship:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, binro01 said:

I have checked high and low, and can not find a booking code for a Central Park Balcony Guarantee. There are only Neighborhood Guarantee Balcony and Oceanview Guarantee balcony. If you want to book a specific neighborhood, you can only book a specific room with no guarantee.

XB - GUARANTEE - BALCONY

Thank you for checking, I know now they don’t have Central Park Balcony guarantee but back then when I booked it said Central Park guarantee. 
I called twice to change the dining time  , they said you will sail on this and this day,you have Central Park Balcony guarantee correct? So maybe I was wrong. Or Royal screwed up ?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Coralc said:

I believe you. It sounds like Boardwalk Balcony assignment was a slight upgrade. But I am glad that they were able to give you what you booked.:classic_smile: 

Thank you for the kind words. I know Board Walk Balcony is an upgrade but like some people I don’t really like that kind of cabin.

I only have 12 cruises with Royal,I love Royal too but people need to see that they  messed up people’s reservations all the time. I didn’t think that it is going to happen to me. 
I have to call them again tomorrow because after they hanged up and gave me the Central Park room , they repriced my cruise and now I have a balance.  I just read the same thing happened to someone on cruise critics the other day.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, binro01 said:

Was it booked straight with Royal or with a new TA? There should be a cabin category there. I'm glad you got the room you wanted. I'm just curious, because don't see any cabin categories that state Central Park Balcony Guarantee for Oasis class ships.

Here are all the stateroom categories for Balcony staterooms that are bookable on an oasis class ship:

I booked direct with Royal. This is not the first time I booked guarantee 😊

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binro01 said:

One reasons to always keep copy all Confirmations, many reduction's, changes, had some Bookings with Dozen different Copies. To OP, Good Luck!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, binro01 said:

XB - GUARANTEE - BALCONY

2 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

Since this was booked in April of 2020 maybe they have since changed the categories? 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 4

4 hours ago, binro01 said:

XB - GUARANTEE - BALCONY

Maybe now, but I seem to remember a few years ago you could specify either Broadway guarantee or CP guarantee.  

Why does everyone always have to imply that OPs are wrong . Presume he has original invoice showing CP guarantee 

Edited to say, read further and this indeed seems to of happened.  

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would never book a guarantee.  Ended up right over a disco on one cruise and learned my lesson.  Now I carefully choose my location with passengers above, below, and across the corridor.  Then I have it marked "No Upgrades".

An upgrade on the Grandeur put some friends right under the pool deck.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Moon Orchid said:

I agree with you.  I have five cruises booked between November through September, and I'm Diamond+ (several cruises under my belt). I've never had so many problems in my life than recently with Royal!  Their "operational issues" have caused havoc with our previously purchased shore excursions and other matters.  It's been so bad, I've considered cancelling 😔

• Like 3

@Moon OrchidEven if like you said you booked a CP guarantee.................they can assign you a higher  category cabin, which a Boardwalk Balcony is. ........If you really wanted a Central park cabin you should have booked one, so I wouldn't be blaming Royal. They did nothing wrong.

That is how Guarantee's work.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 8

I'm glad you got things worked out, OP.  Do note, though, that you got what you booked, even if you didn't get what you wanted.  As noted, a guarantee might very well get you an upgrade, and that's what you got.  Many would be thrilled.

• Like 2

No, you should not book guarantee cabins on Royal Caribbean or any other line, as you do not understand (or accept) the terms of a guarantee cabin.  Even if there were a “Central Park balcony guarantee” category, booking it could result in an assignment of a Central Park Balcony or any higher category. One is not allowed to turn down a cabin assignment because it is in a higher category.  Therefore, a BW balcony assignment is an appropriate fulfillment, as BW is higher than CP.  
No one should book a gty category without considering whether they would be happy in any cabin in that category or any higher category.

I currently have to neighborhood gty’s.  I expect CP or BW assignments, but will also be happy if they assign a higher category.

• Like 6

I agree that I have never heard of a CP guarantee before but I have seen some variations of the guarantee many times before.  For instance, there is no official "Grand Suite GTY" but I have seen GS GTY offered.  Sometimes they do non-standard offerings when a certain category isn't selling well or they have a reason to push a particular category.

I'm glad that the OP ended up with the cabin that they wanted.  Personally, I never book GTY just b/c I am very particular about where my cabin is located so I want to know where I will be.  I also book airline reservations at a category where I know I will get the seat I want.  That's just me.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RFerrington said:

I agree that I have never heard of a CP guarantee before but I have seen some variations of the guarantee many times before.  For instance, there is no official "Grand Suite GTY" but I have seen GS GTY offered.  Sometimes they do non-standard offerings when a certain category isn't selling well or they have a reason to push a particular category.

I'm glad that the OP ended up with the cabin that they wanted.  Personally, I never book GTY just b/c I am very particular about where my cabin is located so I want to know where I will be.  I also book airline reservations at a category where I know I will get the seat I want.  That's just me.

There is a Suite/Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee cabin category WS, which is any suite class room. (JS or above)

As people have stated, when you book guarantee you have to understand you are open to any category of room in any location with a minimum category being set. That is it.

• Like 1

Good morning to all. I know I said this thread is closed but I just want to come back and say thank you for the advices ,comments and letting you know the outcome 😊.

I called Royal this morning and mentioned that I selected Central Park Balcony guarantee over the Neighborhood ones. They admit that they used  to have the Central Park Balcony guarantee when I booked, but somehow they changed the category now just like ReneeFLL said.

The agent told me he doesn’t know what to say except going to remove the balance.Problem solved after an hour on hold. 

Jimbo said I shouldn’t blame on Royal for gave me the Board Walk Balcony room which is an upgrade and he is right. But I have every right to complain about the bad customer service, I was calm and speak to the agent with respect because I know bad manners is not going nowhere. Instead she hang up on me,repriced and gave me a balance without letting me know . It was like “Okay you want the Central Park room, I will give you one but I will give you a balance to pay Hahah 😝

She didn’t even send the invoice, If I didn’t go in and checked I wouldn’t know I have a balance, they might cancel the cruise without my knowing. I had to take a day off today to call them because can’t do that at work.

I am loyal to Royal but it doesn’t mean I have to accept everything they do. 
I have booked couple ocean view balconies before and never question what they gave me because I know what I was into. I understand how their system worked back in the day not so much now .

Again thank you for all the comments and advice. For the people keep criticizing me, please go on if you like but I am off to enjoy my day off today thanks to Royal 😝. Happy cruising every one. Have a great weekend.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, binro01 said:

There is a Suite/Deluxe Stateroom Guarantee cabin category WS, which is any suite class room. (JS or above)

As people have stated, when you book guarantee you have to understand you are open to any category of room in any location with a minimum category being set. That is it.

Not as set in stone as you think. Once a cabin number is assigned you can switch to any open cabin anywhere on the ship as long as you stay in the same category. That seems to be the reason they now assign cabins a few days before sailing instead of months ahead. 

• Like 2