CCL Ship names

HillBilly Bob

3 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

When you look thru the ship names they are listed as Carnival Panorama, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Radiance, Carnival Sunrise, etal but when you get to Mardi Gras and they list is only as Mardi Gras.   Any idea why?  

They already used Carnival Mardi Gras as a ship name back when they started the company.

27 minutes ago, mondello said:

They already used Carnival Mardi Gras as a ship name back when they started the company.

None of the older ships had the word "Carnival" in front of their names until the Carnival Destiny. My first cruise in 1985 was on the Holiday, not the Carnival Holiday. :classic_cool:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jamman54 said:

None of the older ships had the word "Carnival" in front of their names until the Carnival Destiny. My first cruise in 1985 was on the Holiday, not the Carnival Holiday. :classic_cool:

Same here. My first was on the Jubilee. By the time I hit the Triumph it was the Carnival Triumph.

45 minutes ago, HillBilly Bob said:

When you look thru the ship names they are listed as Carnival Panorama, Carnival Horizon, Carnival Radiance, Carnival Sunrise, etal but when you get to Mardi Gras and they list is only as Mardi Gras.   Any idea why?  

HB, really don't know what the real answer is, but I'm guessing they didn't want to go with a three word ship name. :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Thought I'd read something about this quite a while back, with dropping the Carnival having something to do with the older Mardi Gras. Must have been they named this Mardi Gras to honor their original ship MG. Sorry my first post wasn't up to your standards.

The original two ships were name Carnivale and Mardi Gras. Then came along Tropicale as a new build.  And then the Holiday class which included Celebration and Jubilee and non of these ships included Carnival in the name.  Over the years the cruise lines started to include the name of the cruise line in the name to avoid confusion, due to overlap in ship names.

As an example Carnival Magic vs Disney Magic.

Princess has for long time to include "Princess" in the name of the ship.  RCCL uses "of the Seas" to differentiate there ships from other lines

2 hours ago, gatour said:

The original two ships were name Carnivale and Mardi Gras. Then came along Tropicale as a new build.  And then the Holiday class which included Celebration and Jubilee and non of these ships included Carnival in the name.

Your forgot the Festivale, which was one of the three original ships before the Tropicale was built.  The Fantasy class also started out without the Carnival prefix, but they were renamed as part of the "Evolutions of Fun" upgrade program.

10 hours ago, mondello said:

Thought I'd read something about this quite a while back, with dropping the Carnival having something to do with the older Mardi Gras. Must have been they named this Mardi Gras to honor their original ship MG. Sorry my first post wasn't up to your standards.

... slacker ...

• Haha 1

If it is a marketing reason, and not some legal reason, it seems like such a dumb decision to me. Every other ship has "Carnival" in front of it, so when you're looking at drop downs or menus on Carnival's, or other, websites, the Mardi Gras, isn't where it should be. It's at the end of the list. It's not the end of the world, but from a marketing perspective, you have to think, what's more important, ease of finding the ship in online tools or the "benefit" of honoring the original name which only a few people would understand.  

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

They will be doing the same thing with the name with the up coming sister ship Celebration and rumor has  it for the follow on the following year.

I thought Celebration's name will include the Carnival prefix. Almost positive I read that somewhere.