Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

6 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I can't comment on your specific questions.

Our several "supervised" in the U.S. followed more-or-less this process:

- Establish an account.

- a person comes on, asks for adjustment to the camera, and watches while I open the box.

- advises and watches opening the packages inside: swab, test fluid, test kit

- at some point a QR code on the kit is scanned

- advises and watches while I do the fluid into the kit, swab-in-nose, then insertion of swab into kit.

- 15 minute pause, Camera ON!, Camera focused on the test sample to make sure we don't swap in an alternate.

- supervisor back on, asks for our assessment of the test, has us hold the kit up so he/she can see the results.

- email results sent within a few minutes.

I think much of the value of this approach vs. self-testing is that  outside agencies (e.g., Celebrity) may have a degree of assurance that no cheating is used to try and obtain a false report.

Stan

There are several other testing companies out there that are reputable.  Another choice. Rapidtestandtrace.com is available 24/7.    Accepts any government approved test - their report indicates the specific test.  $20US.  Easier and faster if you download Microsoft Teams (similar to Zoom) beforehand. 

Am sure there are lots more.  Several Canadian companies as well.

Locally testing with symptoms and a doctor request is covered by insurance.  Never made sense to me that a test for tourist travel would be paid by the government. 

On 7/16/2022 at 8:11 AM, runnerswife said:

Although we don't cruise till August, I did a trial test with Onpoint yesterday ($14.99) and it was really easy and had results emailed in about 20 min.  Thank you to whoever suggested them.  Mary

Do they send you a link for zoom?  I went ahead and downloaded it to my laptop that runs widows.  I think I can do this.  Just real nervous, as I have never zoomed or anything like this.  

Edited by Dancing Shoes

Just an FYI that has me nervous as I too have schedule an OnPoint test but YouTube content producers who do many cruise reviews have just posted a video giving a review of their experience an how OnPoint moved their testing time up an hour with very little notification so they missed their revised appointment window.  OnPoint wasn't willing to do anything for them, seems they may be having some staffing issues with proctors available but still hold firm to a no-refunds attitude.  I have a mid-day appointment scheduled so hoping for the best.

• Like 2

You can use Azova for a telehealth visit.  They have about 6 FDA approved tests you can use.  I am using the iHealth kits I got from the post office.  It's $20 and you can schedule an appointment 24/7.  I've spoken to them and chatted online with them.  They are very responsive.

On 7/17/2022 at 10:51 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

Do they send you a link for zoom?  I went ahead and downloaded it to my laptop that runs widows.  I think I can do this.  Just real nervous, as I have never zoomed or anything like this.  

Yes, they sent an email with the zoom link.  It was really easy, just make sure you fill out the form they send and you do NOT have to fill out insurance info, just self pay (or whatever it's called).  This was just "practice" - hope it goes as well in 3 weeks.  You can do it!!!

On 7/10/2022 at 4:37 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

We keep making this way too complicated.

If you board on a Saturday you need to test either on Thursday or Friday. It really needs to be ANY type of antigen test.  Those results come back in under an hour.  NOT a PCR test with up to 48 hours for results.

The test needs to be proctored.   Either in person or virtually using a company like OnPoint or Rapidtestandtrace.com.   You can use ANY government approved test from US, UK, Canada etc.  The virtual tests take about 15-20 on WIFI. 

Prefer not to do an AbbotBinax or eMed, etc..   Is the Walgreens NAAT Rapid Antigen accepted by Celebrity?

11 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

Prefer not to do an AbbotBinax or eMed, etc..   Is the Walgreens NAAT Rapid Antigen accepted by Celebrity?

Absolutely!  We have used it for our last two cruises but they no longer do it for free and in our area you can only schedule a few days out.

With Onpoint you go to the appstore and download ZOOM.

With Rapidtestandtrace.com you go to the app store and download Microsoft Teams. 

There are some 50 other sites.  You can use any government approved test.  Do know iHealth free test expirat5dates were all extended as were almost every other test.

If not sure go to a local testing facility.

Last, in North America and Europe and other places pretty much all tests are accepted by Celebrity.   Go to a local test facility and you can be sure the test results will be accepted.

PS - porting in Canada?  Don't forget ArriveCAN is required .

Here in the UK, we have just used DOCHQ.co.uk for our cruise tomorrow. Very efficient, the kits were sent out in plenty of time and the booking system was simple as was changing the original appt. time. A reminder text was sent 24 hrs before and again an hour before. The link to their system meant nothing needed to be downloaded and the guy was easy going and easy to understand. The certificates came through while we were on the call. Their normal price is £30 each but I got a deal for £21 each.

I would use again if I needed to

8 hours ago, spammie said:

Absolutely!  We have used it for our last two cruises but they no longer do it for free and in our area you can only schedule a few days out.

Yep - first time we used walgreens it was free.  When I called them this week they wanted $128 pp for the same test.  Went to CVS for free.

Hoping someone can answer this question- I purchased the Binax tests through Celebrity, so will be using the emed site. When I go to emed.com and select start test and then my state (Ma.) the next screen says to select my school district. There’s no other option that I’m seeing. I haven’t set up an emed or Navica account yet.

12 hours ago, mitz18 said:

Yep - first time we used walgreens it was free.  When I called them this week they wanted $128 pp for the same test.  Went to CVS for free.

We did 2 cruises last year and used CVS.  They stopped doing them at most locations near us.  The ones that are doing them require a Minute Clinic visit which they charge for us.  I pray they do away with all this nonsense soon!  Right now it's the most stressful part of cruising!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mitz18 said:

It isn't free. It's either covered by your insurance or it isn't.

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

It isn't free. It's either covered by your insurance or it isn't.

The US Government stopped paying for covid testing for travel a couple weeks ago.  My insurance will pay if I go to a CVS (for example) and have a fever etc.  It will not for travel testing.

As for the proctoring companies - there are some that are scams.  Several in the past got overwhelmed with testing numbers.  Today is different as notvtests to fly.  Both OnPoint and Rapidtestandtrace.com are easy to do and have virtually 100% follow thru.

Just a comment order a set of tests (8 per order) at Covid.gov.  that way if a problem you have another test or two.  Last - all expiration dates extended 3-6 months.

I need to order my travel tests and am now a little confused.  There used to be tests you could order from the Celebrity webpage....but I am not seeing that now, or not looking had enough.  We are traveling from the US to Canada September 7.  Our cruise leaves on September 11 so we have to test while we are there.  What is the easiest test that I can get that is proctored?  Do I have to have an appointment or can I just log in?  I am super nervous about testing while in another country.  I have some of the free tests from the FDA and just ordered more - not sure how long it will be for shipping.  

Edited by vermonter16

We did ours at Walgreens a few weeks ago. Our insurance info was provided and we did not get charged. However, you have to pay attention to the questions they ask on the Walgreens page when submitting your appointment info. There is a section it asks about your health, such as High Blood Pressure, Obesity, Smoking, Compromised immune system etc. If you check NO to any of these then you will get charged the $128.00. If you genuinely have symptoms as diagnosed by a health worker, then certainly check that off. This changes whether you get charged or not. 

On 7/22/2022 at 8:17 AM, vermonter16 said:

I need to order my travel tests and am now a little confused.  There used to be tests you could order from the Celebrity webpage....but I am not seeing that now, or not looking had enough.  We are traveling from the US to Canada September 7.  Our cruise leaves on September 11 so we have to test while we are there.  What is the easiest test that I can get that is proctored?  Do I have to have an appointment or can I just log in?  I am super nervous about testing while in another country.  I have some of the free tests from the FDA and just ordered more - not sure how long it will be for shipping.  

ANY government approved test can be proctored  iHealth tests are fine, just pack carefully.  You can also get them at Costco or any grocery store pharmacy.  My Medicare Advantage insurance would pay for 8 tests at any of those places.

The proctoring company has no idea where you are.  Just get a strong WiFi signal so it doesn't drop.  Iceland FYI has better phone coverage than the US and my rental car has WiFi Hotspot!

Relax.  It will be fine.

I was looking back through some of my old test results and notice that one of the places that does PCR tests reports results as not detected rather than negative.  If I decide to use this type of testing, will they accept this result?

On 7/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, cujimmy said:

We did ours at Walgreens a few weeks ago. Our insurance info was provided and we did not get charged. However, you have to pay attention to the questions they ask on the Walgreens page when submitting your appointment info. There is a section it asks about your health, such as High Blood Pressure, Obesity, Smoking, Compromised immune system etc. If you check NO to any of these then you will get charged the $128.00. If you genuinely have symptoms as diagnosed by a health worker, then certainly check that off. This changes whether you get charged or not. 

I had no idea. We have a couple of them, but I just said no. I had no idea that it made a difference. We are using Onpoint and this is our back up so hopefully our original plan works out and we don’t even have to worry about testing at Walgreens 

17 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

I had no idea. We have a couple of them, but I just said no. I had no idea that it made a difference. We are using Onpoint and this is our back up so hopefully our original plan works out and we don’t even have to worry about testing at Walgreens 

Apparently it does make a difference. I had filled mines in and checked of one boxes that applied to HBP. It then said my test was free. I completed the one for my wife and didn't check any off. It then said she would be charged $128.00. I went back in and edited it after asking her if anything applied. The only one she could check off was the compromised immunity, which she had been told that she had by her doctor. After checking that off, there was no charge.

I think most people on these things tend to just not check anything off, thinking they will ask more info on it but they do not. 

On 7/25/2022 at 12:37 PM, cujimmy said:

Apparently it does make a difference. I had filled mines in and checked of one boxes that applied to HBP. It then said my test was free. I completed the one for my wife and didn't check any off. It then said she would be charged $128.00. I went back in and edited it after asking her if anything applied. The only one she could check off was the compromised immunity, which she had been told that she had by her doctor. After checking that off, there was no charge.

I think most people on these things tend to just not check anything off, thinking they will ask more info on it but they do not. 

it does say if you ever had these conditions. So if you were ever overweight, or ever smoked, you can check yes.