Is Anyone Waiting a Long time for a Global Entry or other Trusted Traveler Program Renewal?

SelectSys

I put in my application in March and I am still waiting for conditional approval of my application.  I checked into the portal yesterday and it said that benefits for existing customers were now extended up to 24 months.

I think the reason that I am waiting is that I haven't had an interview with them for 10 years and they want to call you in periodically to see what's going on or take new fingerprints/photos.

Just curious as my expiration date is coming up and wondered if anyone else is in my situation.  Of course it could be that our local office along the border is way backed due to other work and possibly other locations aren't as impacted.

14 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

I put in my application in March and I am still waiting for conditional approval of my application.  I checked into the portal yesterday and it said that benefits for existing customers were now extended up to 24 months.

I think the reason that I am waiting is that I haven't had an interview with them for 10 years and they want to call you in periodically to see what's going on or take new fingerprints/photos.

Just curious as my expiration date is coming up and wondered if anyone else is in my situation.  Of course it could be that our local office along the border is way backed due to other work and possibly other locations aren't as impacted.

Extended “up to”(?) 24 mos. from ......??? Today? Your current end date? 
In any case, even with the current slowness, 9 months +\- is far longer than anything I’ve heard/read elsewhere.

Just now, Flatbush Flyer said:

Extended “up to”(?) 24 mos. from ......??? Today? Your current end date? 
In any case, even with the current slowness, 9 months +\- is far longer than anything I’ve heard/read elsewhere.

Not 100% sure - I think it is after your program expiration date.  Here is the message shown below my pending renewal:

Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period from 18 months to 24 months for any submitted renewal application. This means you will continue to receive full benefits for 24 months while U.S. Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.

I can certainly see that the offices are totally backed up in my area to conduct interviews:

https://ttpalerts.com/locations

Pretty amazing - I printed out my portal page as evidence that I paid and submitted an application.  

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

We recently renewed ours and received approval within a couple of days, with no interviews required . Our new cards arrived shortly after our renewals were approved.

Of course we were interviewed only five years ago so that probably explains the quick turnaround.

We’re good until summer 2022 (at least). But we will probably try renew as soon as this December or January.

My bigger concern is lag time with passport renewals. We may be able to still have a blank page or two after the last of our multiple booked cruises through early 2023. So, even though renewal won’t be required for several more years after that, we’ll need to get new passports but our currently booked cruises are each only 3 months apart.

So, depending on how lag times may change in 2022, we may not cruise until much later in 2023 than we would normally.

Damn those first world problems.

34 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We’re good until summer 2022 (at least). But we will probably try renew as soon as this December or January.

My bigger concern is lag time with passport renewals. We may be able to still have a blank page or two after the last of our multiple booked cruises through early 2023. So, even though renewal won’t be required for several more years after that, we’ll need to get new passports but our currently booked cruises are each only 3 months apart.

So, depending on how lag times may change in 2022, we may not cruise until much later in 2023 than we would normally.

Damn those first world problems.

Why do you need blank pages?  

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why do you need blank pages?  

I currently have a passport end date of 2027. We travel a lot and I currently have enough blank pages to handle the bulk of the multiple countries we will visit through February 2023 as well as address the requirement of some countries (e.g.,South Africa) for X number of blank pages when you visit. Among the current cruise/land bookings until 2023, no countries we will visit CURRENTLY require space for full page visa additions.

Bottom line is that we may end up with no “wiggle room” should some country’s customs agent take up Too much of a page with misplaced stamps. And, out upcoming long 7 cruise segments already booked may be too close to each other to try and squeeze passport renewal in there (until 2023).

That said, the need for the “fatter” passport book (or addition of extra pages [which is no longer done]) is a significant concern if we want to keep up our traditional travel behaviors.

This was GE renewal #2 for me.  first renewal had no interview.  They wanted it this time.  Got a slot a month out last month.   The "interview" took less than 5 minutes and included a new photo and fingerprints.  The agent didn't understand why I got called in - when I said maybe because it was renewal
#2, he said "ahhh you might be right." No questions, no nothing.  The "approved" notice came a day or two later.  The new card came the next week.  

Double-check that you haven't missed the little note to schedule an interview.  

for that passport thing - there are some countries and even individual agents who will not put an entry stamp on a page with other stamps.  I've had that a few times.  That's another thing besides needing a full empty page for a visa.   

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

for that passport thing - there are some countries and even individual agents who will not put an entry stamp on a page with other stamps.  I've had that a few times.  That's another thing besides needing a full empty page for a visa.   

I have asked agents to use unused spaces on a page before flipping over to smear several spaces on an unused page.  It is your passport.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have asked agents to use unused spaces on a page before flipping over to smear several spaces on an unused page.  It is your passport.

One step ahead of you...

....I even leave notes to the Purser asking to make sure the authorities stamp empty quarter pages and leave the blanks alone. I also leave a paperclipped note on the empty pages.

One problem is the full page visas (e.g., the PCR [which has started selectively issuing 10 yr visas).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I renewed my GE in early August.  Approval took less than 24 hours and no interview was required.  My husband applied for his renewal in early October and received a conditional approval - also in 24 hours - but had to go in for an interview (even though we had the exact same travel and personal history).  The earliest date was in 4 weeks.  He went in this past week; they took another set of fingerprints (which was difficult since he has severe arthritis in his fingers), told him he traveled a lot (cruises to lots of countries), and that he would get the official okay in 2 days.  It was approved the next day and he is only waiting for the new card.

Edited by capriccio

I received an e-mail notice on Friday, Nov. 12 (two days ago) that my Global Entry expires in February. I filled out the form and submitted it with payment that evening. On Saturday the 13th, I was informed that my application was in process. This morning, Sunday the 14th, I received notice that my application was accepted and I'm allowed to use the program.

Nowhere did I see where I would need to interview. This was my first renewal so that could be the reason no interview is required; I know others here have stated the same.

3 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

I received an e-mail notice on Friday, Nov. 12 (two days ago) that my Global Entry expires in February. I filled out the form and submitted it with payment that evening. On Saturday the 13th, I was informed that my application was in process. This morning, Sunday the 14th, I received notice that my application was accepted and I'm allowed to use the program.

Nowhere did I see where I would need to interview. This was my first renewal so that could be the reason no interview is required; I know others here have stated the same.

First renewal is not a reason, we had to get an interview on our first renewal a couple of months ago. Its random.

There does not seem to be any logic to how its all done.  Last year I applied for a normal renewal and it took 9 months to finally get approved.  After all that time they did not even ask for an interview.  The explanation we found on various blogs was simply that COVID slowed down the entire process which depends, to some degree, on the cooperation of the various State drivers license folks.   Since we applied nearly a year early (you can apply that early for renewals) our approval did come a few months before the original expiration.  But they had already extended all the expirations by a year so we were not very concerned.  

When DW did her renewal it was done in a few weeks but she did need a new interview.

Hank

Just got this email . It's from CBSA but most of the info is for all members .

Excuse the length but why say things in 100 words when 500 will do . 😉

Update - NEXUS Program - Mise à jour sur le programme NEXUS

Dear NEXUS Member,

We wanted to provide you with updates on many developments within the NEXUS program.

NEXUS and FAST interviews will resume at enrolment centres in the United States (US) on November 29, 2021. Applicants wishing to schedule interviews can now do so at their nearest US enrolment centre through the Trusted Traveller Programs system. NEXUS and FAST enrolment centres in Canada continue to be closed.

Existing NEXUS and FAST members who renew their membership before the expiry date on their card will retain membership privileges until they can complete their interview. Please renew your membership before it expires to avoid losing your privileges.

We are pleased to inform you that Toronto Pearson Airport recently installed electronic processing gates (e-gates) for NEXUS travellers. Located in Terminal 1, these new e-gates are reserved for travellers over the age of 16 and utilize RFID chip technology and facial biometrics to expedite your process. Families with children are invited to use the existing NEXUS kiosks for expedited processing. All members are asked to ensure they have activated their membership card in the online membership portal prior to arrival. For information on how to activate your card, please visit CBP Customer Service. For more details on NEXUS air processing, please visit the CBSA NEXUS webpage.

At this time NEXUS services remain available at major international airports and most NEXUS highway lanes. Please consult the NEXUS Land web page for updates and more information.

Before you plan to travel, check to see if you qualify as fully vaccinated, and learn about the mandatory requirements to enter or return to Canada such as having a valid pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result and submitting your mandatory information into ArriveCAN, including your proof of vaccination.  Antigen tests, often called “rapid tests” are not accepted.

Finally, an improved user experience for exempt essential service providers is now available in ArriveCAN. This means that exempt travellers, such as cross-border workers and essential service providers, are able to save time by entering their mandatory information in ArriveCAN once and using the same ArriveCAN receipt for each entry into Canada as long as their information does not change. Travellers using the mobile App must ensure they have the most up-to-date version available in the Google Play Store or the App Store for iPhone.

Sincerely,

Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate
Canada Border Services Agency

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 12:03 PM, mammajamma2013 said:

12/2/2021 update: Received my new card sometime between Nov. 18 and Nov. 30 when we were out of town. I had also received notice in the Nov. 14 e-mail that because the program is backed up, we would be allowed to continue to use the program for the next 24 months without the new card.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my application wait finally ended in a complete non event.  I finally got my approval email over the weekend (12/12) after submitting my renewal last March.   The portal indicated the normal 5 year renewal and no interview is required.  

Interestingly, I did have a somewhat informal interview while crossing back into the US in mid-November via land.  The agent at the port of entry got a notice on his computer and sent me to secondary.  The agent in secondary asked me a question that suggested some amount of name confusion between me and someone else.   

Now I just need to wait for my new card.

• 9 months later...