New Fee or Not?

Oakman58

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

The reason I asked was on current bookings the Holland Website states the included Crew Appreciation is a $100 value which wouldn’t cover the $15.50 Crew and Service Fee and definitely not for the daily charge of $17.00 for suites.

Those of us who have booked with the Black Friday Sale found that the gratuities cover every day of the cruise, not only $100.  Bad wording apparently.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Those of us who have booked with the Black Friday Sale found that the gratuities cover every day of the cruise, not only $100.  Bad wording apparently.

Is it less money than onboard?

9 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

The reason I asked was on current bookings the Holland Website states the included Crew Appreciation is a $100 value which wouldn’t cover the $15.50 Crew and Service Fee and definitely not for the daily charge of $17.00 for suites.

I wondered the same thing too

Crew Appreciation was Crew Incentive was Hotel Service Charge was Gratuity. A  new name for no real reason IMHO. Most cruisers will know what Gratuity means, Crew Appreciation not t so much. I’m sure some Gen-Z MBA marketing grad came up with it and said this REALLY explains what it’s for and the C-Suite folks and Holland America Group HQ latched on to this newest buzz phrase. Sort of like how tenders became Water Shuttles…..

The Black Friday promo covers it for the duration of your cruise whether it be the $15.50pp/day for standard rooms or $17pp/day for suites for most, but not all, sailings though spring 2023. I think it excludes sailings of 28+ days and Grand Voyages and maybe some other unique sailings like Voyage of the Vikings (and segments thereof). 

I posted a list of applicable sailings on the Black Friday thread. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I confirmed this with my TA - covers what was called the Hotel Service Charge in the past.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Crew Appreciation was Crew Incentive was Hotel Service Charge was Gratuity. A  new name for no real reason IMHO. Most cruisers will know what Gratuity means, Crew Appreciation not t so much. I’m sure some Gen-Z MBA marketing grad came up with it and said this REALLY explains what it’s for and the C-Suite folks and Holland America Group HQ latched on to this newest buzz phrase. Sort of like how tenders became Water Shuttles…..

The Black Friday promo covers it for the duration of your cruise whether it be the $15.50pp/day for standard rooms or $17pp/day for suites for most, but not all, sailings though spring 2023. I think it excludes sailings of 28+ days and Grand Voyages and maybe some other unique sailings like Voyage of the Vikings (and segments thereof). 

I posted a list of applicable sailings on the Black Friday thread. 

That list was very helpful.  Added it to my booked cruise Tuesday I think.  Cancelled it today and booked another one with it today.  Pretty sure my pcc will be blocking further emails from me.  She’s earning her wage.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

They even say a $100 value on my 18 day Hawaii sailing, it will be a much bigger value than that! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Maybe it's so the people who say "we don't believe in gratuities so we aren't paying them" have to find a new excuse (when it's not included, of course).

45 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I see you're on the April 8, 2023 sailing -- we just booked that today!

Yay! A long way off but I look forward to meeting you onboard. I can't wait, but thankfully I have a few sailings between now and then. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zgscl said:

Yay! A long way off but I look forward to meeting you onboard. I can't wait, but thankfully I have a few sailings between now and then. 

Yes indeed!  Looking forward to meeting you too. We also have a few sailings before then (4) so that definitely helps the time pass!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

Maybe it's so the people who say "we don't believe in gratuities so we aren't paying them" have to find a new excuse (when it's not included, of course).

Good thought - lets hope that idea works.  Taking the gratuities/hotel service fee or whatever its being called off your bill to me is just plain wrong.  Its part of the expense of cruising and secondly why punish the hard working crew?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Good thought - lets hope that idea works.  Taking the gratuities/hotel service fee or whatever its being called off your bill to me is just plain wrong.  Its part of the expense of cruising and secondly why punish the hard working crew?

And the auto tips have just made it easier as you do not need to have the proper bills to put into envelopes at the end of the cruise.