Post-cruise review of luxury cruiser's first X/Edge cruise in a Sky Suite

Catlover54

Here is a link to my review of the 11/14-11/21 Edge sailing FLL-FLL (San Juan, St. Martine, Tortola), my first X experience,   "ship within a ship" in a Sky Suite, solo.

I usually sail on luxury lines.

Short version: there were many things I liked (such as the suite and overall decor, plus the Luminae suites-only Restaurant food and service  ) but some I did not like (pounding music everywhere, jam-packed excursions with no distancing).

Long version:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=683450&et_cid=3488080&et_rid=17464385&et_referrer=NULL

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Thanks 2

Thanks so much for your wonderful review!  Frankly, we enjoy the sound of the sea rather than pounding music.  I chose the Reflection because it was not changed and I am hopeful that they will not have the pounding music.  We will be in a suite, so we will be doing Luminae for the cruise.  We also found that some of the specialty restaurants were not what we wanted with the exception of Murano, which was wonderful.  

I am wondering which ship you would choose for your future sailings?

Edited by Momma Rene
addition

Momma Rene, I would love to try an X ship in a Sky Suite other than the Edge on a good itinerary  if I knew the ubiquitous pounding music were not everywhere (besides my suite).  Any suggestions?  Other than in shape and design, I am not sure how different the X ships are in overall presentation , e.g., standardisation of settings such as pounding music on every open deck

(on Seabourn and Silver Seas and Crystal, the ocean-going vessels follow pretty much the same format on all ships, but the ships are small -- there, even constant piped in pop music at the pool is controversial and probably unnecessary for people who want music to read by, in this day of ear pods).

Edge also did not have Murano, which I would be interested in trying.

I have to wonder how many pax really want pounding or howling music everywhere, how many do not, and how many would not care if it were gone.  I understand playing it in the party venues or at party events, (though that leads to louder talking so people can hear each other, and then yet louder talking to be able to talk over the loud people next to you trying to talk over the music -- masking of staff has also necessitated increasing the volume at which one speaks, as so much, added on to the many staff accents,  gets extra muffling)

I also did send X official extensive feedback, as much as their rigidly formatted online review system let me.

I love the Edge and have to agree with this well thought out review.  I agree that the music, especially in Grand Foyer, where a before dinner conversation is almost impossible.  Never thought to put that on my survey, but will in the future if it continues.  Thank you.

We were on the Edge in October and early evening with the Martini Bar and surrounding area about 25% occupied the DJ music was very loud.  DH went and talked with the DJ and reduced the volume.  As the crowd grew he would adjust the music, but after the first night it was adjusted to be more inline with the size of the crowd.  

We have done many cruises on the S class ships and the music in the evening at Martini Bar and Grand Foyer is always very loud.  DH has complained and on a couple of occasions one of the bartenders turn the volume down.  Until a bar manager arrived and told them not to change the volume as that loud thumping sound was what management wanted in that area in the evenings.  

When things get too loud for DH we just move to a quieter bar.

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We were on the Edge in October and early evening with the Martini Bar and surrounding area about 25% occupied the DJ music was very loud.  DH went and talked with the DJ and reduced the volume.  As the crowd grew he would adjust the music, but after the first night it was adjusted to be more inline with the size of the crowd.  

We have done many cruises on the S class ships and the music in the evening at Martini Bar and Grand Foyer is always very loud.  DH has complained and on a couple of occasions one of the bartenders turn the volume down.  Until a bar manager arrived and told them not to change the volume as that loud thumping sound was what management wanted in that area in the evenings.  

When things get too loud for DH we just move to a quieter bar.

It is disappointing that the music is loud at the Grand Foyer on all ships.  For me, that means no dinner French dining, no steak restaurant dining, no Japanese (lunch only, though there was still thumping, just less)

That still leaves the open outside decks with the thumping, instead of the sound of the sea, so either use ear buds to muffle everything (including the sea) , or retreat to the suite.

This last cruise I was a bit envious of hard of hearing pax 😟

I don't remember ever hearing loud music in the Grand Foyer during the daytime on the E class ships I have been on which is Equinox, Reflection and Silhoutte.  Certainly no disturbing music at lunch in  Sushi on 5, You just might like the Silhoutte more than Edge. 

I agree with the 'pounding music everywhere'.  This is definitely one thing I did not enjoy at all and it was in the main areas with little way to escape unless you wanted to isolate somewhere and that isn't the best option. 

I stayed in a balcony cabin 7th floor off the hump one time (on Equinox) and later in the evening, seemed 10 pm or later, I could actually hear the thumping in my cabin which was annoying. The music from the grand atrium would flow up from the open area near the elevator with little in the way to stop it.  Pounding music is a trigger for me especially if more bass than music.

This is where I wish any use of loud music was limited to areas you had to enter and not be forced to pass through, then it's choice to go or not go depending on what you like or don't like.  I even find the martini bar placement to be bad as it becomes a zoo and passing through there can be 'fun' when it is at it's peak.

All that said I still like Celebrity (for now 🙂)

Edited by poffles

53 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

It is disappointing that the music is loud at the Grand Foyer on all ships.  For me, that means no dinner French dining, no steak restaurant dining, no Japanese (lunch only, though there was still thumping, just less)

That still leaves the open outside decks with the thumping, instead of the sound of the sea, so either use ear buds to muffle everything (including the sea) , or retreat to the suite.

This last cruise I was a bit envious of hard of hearing pax 😟

Ironic that I say that sometimes, my hearing is extremely good which is a blessing and a curse.  I don't understand why they don't do the blasting music in the sky observation lounge (S Class) in the evening as it has a dance floor and everything there.  Even enjoying a coffee at El Bacio can be challenging in the evening with the music since it is stuck right there along with everything else.

Sad really but I guess there are many lines that do the same thing and I just don't know why they have to force everything in one area to that level of noise.  Assume there is a method to the madness.  I am normally a morning person and when on these ships I appreciate and love them even more when things seem so peaceful in those areas as I grab my first coffee of the day.  Oh to be there now.  

Catlover always has the most detailed and honest reviews. I always look forward to reading them.

We enjoy X, however I must note that the demographic does change when taking a more port intensive  and longer cruise. 

We did a B2B leaving from Sydney on the Solstice. 1st leg went to Fiji islands and was similar to a Caribbean cruise here from the States. It was like Spring break, Aussie style. We were not impressed.

Next leg departed Sydney for NZ. Demographic was similar to what you encounter on a luxury cruise. A well traveled, educated group of passengers and we really enjoyed it.

S class (Solstice) is what we prefer and we really enjoy Murano. DH prefers the larger ships because he feels he does not have to socialize as much and can hide out if if feels like it 😉

As for music, we actually enjoy the evening entertainment/music flowing from the Grand area. It makes us feel young and youthful.

Keep traveling and writing reviews, Catlover xoxo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the very detailed review.  I agree with you about the loud, piped-in music, as do many others, and have complained to Celebrity about this for years.  Found it interesting that you said that Celebrity's normal single supplements were 150% or so.  Generally, they are 200% unless some special promotion is going on.  Sounds as if you did not have a very good butler.  $100 is a perfectly adequate extra tip for a 7-night cruise.  I would actually say generous if he did nothing extra for you.

• Like 1

Interesting to hear everyone’s comments about loud music. We were on the Edge last month in an aft corner Sky suite. Couldn’t hear a thing in that location. Of course, we were on the opposite end of the ship from Luminae, The Retreat etc. and quite far from the Martini Bar area. On a ship many times it comes down to location as we’ve found out the hard way. 

• Like 1

Very good review. We also agree about the loud music. We try and find a quiet bar and that was Eden on out last Apex cruise. Crazy when you can`t even talk to the person next to you when the music is too loud. 

We also have been on all the luxury lines. Although the small ships are nice we have found them pretty quiet after dinner. 

To the OP - I found some of your comments rather condescending and offensive - if this is the way that passengers on luxury cruise lines feel about their fellow passengers, I am more than happy to stay with Celebrity.   I have found that the passengers on our half dozen Celebrity cruises are a wonderful mix of people from all age groups and backgrounds.  

Your second sentence below is extremely offensive, why would you find it necessary to mention that you saw no overt racial or ethnic discrimination?   Is that the behavior you are accustomed to on your luxury lines?

Most pax were Caucasian couples from North America, ( many from nearby southern states), with a minority of Spanish-speaking twosomes, and an even smaller number of people of other ethnicities. I saw no overt racial or ethnic negative discrimination by pax or crew.

And this statement:  Average passenger BMI in general appeared higher than on luxury lines - implies that fat people cruise on cheaper lines.  You must have been quite bored to spend such a great deal of time analyzing the average BMI of your fellow ethnically diverse, but not discriminated against passengers.

I won't take the time to comment on your criticism of a) chosen topics of conversation, b) the fact that people ate their meals without complaining, or that you feel that, c) the passengers drank more alcohol per capita, than on your other cruises, did you also survey the non-drinkers to get to this high average? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, stones902 said:

Interesting to hear everyone’s comments about loud music. We were on the Edge last month in an aft corner Sky suite. Couldn’t hear a thing in that location. Of course, we were on the opposite end of the ship from Luminae, The Retreat etc. and quite far from the Martini Bar area. On a ship many times it comes down to location as we’ve found out the hard way. 

Good to hear.  We will be in the same location when we go on the Edge for our first time in February.

Your review was detailed and well-written. Your candor is appreciated. I noticed how precisely you described the demographics and ethnicities of the passengers on your itinerary, but I didn't catch yours. Do you mind sharing?

I'm also surprised that you would consider another Celebrity cruise given how obviously irritating the the music was to you. Regarding that, to what kind of music, if any, do you typically listen?

• Like 2

I read Catlover54 review differently, however, I am used to her writing style and enjoy all of her very honest reviews. 

What I thought she was detailing was the fact that Celebrity is very inclusive including her comment on LGBTQ passengers. Frankly, that would make most current and new passengers happy to read this.

As for the BMI comment, on my last flight I had to sit next a 350 pounder and I am 110 lbs. It was not pleasant. Everyone so worried about the virus should also consider the health risks equated with excessive weight. Just walking thru an airport in America describes it well. Get healthy please!

That's OK. Everyone has the right to their own opinion. But I have to say if I or my DW had written this review and experienced the things she did while on our first "scouting recon cruise", I would not waste another dime on Celebrity and would follow my thinking noted in the statement in her summary at the end of the review:

"Or maybe I should stick with my misc. quiter luxury lines , and the occasional quiet HAL Neptune suite, e.g., on the "mausoleum" ships ."

Or maybe try another cruise line such as Cunard.

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading your detailed review, but I found many of your statements also to be very condescending and borders on snobbery. I have cruised on a luxury line and in the Retreat on Celebrity and I failed to see as much difference as you point out between passengers on both lines. I also think your BMI statements are way out of line. I have seen plenty of heavy people on Luxury cruises.

I do agree, when in a suite, we prefer to online dine in Luminae for it exceedingly great service and food. On the Equinox in August, we had dinner in both Murano and the Tuscan Grill and we found the food not be any better than Luminae and their service to be way bellow Luminae. It sounds like you ether had a bad butler or just didn't know how to use his services. Our fantastic Butler never once objected to bringing us drinks from the bar to our room, in fact he suggested that he do that for us when he saw us walking to our cabin with drinks in hand. He also kept our room mini fridge stocked per our request with red and white wines and plenty of Evain bottles of water. He brought us lunch in our cabin on port days and afternoon shrimp cocktails at 4pm every day. He also brought our breakfast every morning on time and hot along with a pot of premium coffee with 4 shots of espresso added to the coffee pot to make it stronger the way we like.

We were so impressed with the Retreat experience that we booked the Apex Sky Suite for Europe in 2023 while onboard and since then a B2B Edge cruise in 2024 of New Zealand/ Australia also in Sky Suite.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 3