Opinions on whether the Commonwealth Government will green light the resumption of cruising on the 17th December, 2021??

Someone on the RC forum emailed Gavin Smith yesterday.

He is the boss of Royal Caribbean Australia Pacific and also the Australian Cruise Line Association.
He said ,because of the new virus it looks like the government will push back the start of cruising. For the RCG brands it looks like October start.

So I think we can expect a delay,possibly P&O may try to get a ship going over winter.

I think with the Christmas festivities we will get a surge of case and  restrictions will be back in January.

Thats my thoughts.

Edited by Chiliburn

Just had another cancellation from Carnival  They have now pushed back their start of cruising to be after 8th April 2022  so another month and cancelled cruises.  I also note or those of us that had cancelled cruises that were REPLACEMENTS for other cancelled cruises are not being offered any extra 'compensation'  just a roll over and if you do not want to book another cruise all the previous compensation is lost  just a 100% money return.

Unusual for Carnival  they normally are a bit fairer than that

39 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

I also note or those of us that had cancelled cruises that were REPLACEMENTS for other cancelled cruises are not being offered any extra 'compensation'  just a roll over and if you do not want to book another cruise all the previous compensation is lost  just a 100% money return.

I would say they are being fair, just not so generous 🙂 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Just had another cancellation from Carnival  They have now pushed back their start of cruising to be after 8th April 2022  so another month and cancelled cruises.  I also note or those of us that had cancelled cruises that were REPLACEMENTS for other cancelled cruises are not being offered any extra 'compensation'  just a roll over and if you do not want to book another cruise all the previous compensation is lost  just a 100% money return.

I don't know about Carnival but Princess have always stated that about the use of FCCs to book replacement cruises.

I've given up trying to guess what our governments will do.

Realistically, unless they close the border to arrivals again, there is no reason to continue blocking cruise ships. We have been told we have to live with Covid and, with cases detected daily in my LGA and surrounding ones, I'd feel safer on a cruise than going to a local pub/club or busy indoor restaurant.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't know about Carnival but Princess have always stated that about the use of FCCs to book replacement cruises.

Princess have widened the use of FCCs to also include taxes, fees etc and also their airfare program. This has been beneficial to us in utilising FCCs.

13 minutes ago, bazshirl2 said:

Princess have widened the use of FCCs to also include taxes, fees etc and also their airfare program. This has been beneficial to us in utilising FCCs.

Not so for Carnival as far as their recent offer goes.   The replacement cruise does make me out of pocket by about $85  - I had paid in full 2 days ago - but there were not a lot of dates to choose from

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

He is the boss of Royal Caribbean Australia Pacific and also the Australian Cruise Line Association.
He said ,because of the new virus it looks like the government will push back the start of cruising. For the RCG brands it looks like October start.

So I think we can expect a delay,possibly P&O may try to get a ship going over winter.

I think with the Christmas festivities we will get a surge of case and  restrictions will be back in January.

Thats my thoughts.

The case numbers are rising now, going to get worse as you say with Xmas celebrations. Yes, we could be back in lockdown come January, I cannt see much if any cruising in this region in 2022.

Edited by NSWP

The ban will either be lifted now or next March.

So long as the main cruise season starts by next October, I don't think it will make that much difference.

P&O Oz and Carnival in winter is nice, but not something I'd get into a sweat about.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

The only positive sign is that usually they announce the extension of the cruise ship ban more than seven days before it's due to expire. And perhaps that's all that will happen as far as the federal government is concerned - they don't extend it so the ban expires and then it's up to the state governments. That fits with the current federal government's do nothing form of government.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The ban will either be lifted now or next March.

So long as the main cruise season starts by next October, I don't think it will make that much difference.

P&O Oz and Carnival in winter is nice, but not something I'd get into a sweat about.

1195650427_OIP(1).jpg.526c73a793478cb78124bb5639215879.jpg

6 hours ago, portcbob said:

It is thought and hoped on the 17th Decrmber the federal government will lift the ban and let cruising to restart. What's your take?????

I've given up trying to guess anything. I'll just sit back and wait and see.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently the national cabinet is due to meet today for an update on Omicron and the plan for international borders but I haven't seen any mention of cruise ship bans.

Just heard the PM discussing national cabinet - in a nutshell no decisions were made today. Plenty of talk about allowing visa holders in and on track for that but nothing about ordinary international visitors or cruise ships.

11 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Just heard the PM discussing national cabinet - in a nutshell no decisions were made today. Plenty of talk about allowing visa holders in and on track for that but nothing about ordinary international visitors or cruise ships.

Which may be a case of no news is good news ie they have to specifically extend the ban or it quietly expires. But then there will be the issue of allowing the ships' crews here.

9 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Thats my thoughts.

Would be interested to read that comment from Gavin Smith..where  was it posted ?

Edited by gbenjo

6 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The only positive sign is that usually they announce the extension of the cruise ship ban more than seven days before it's due to expire. And perhaps that's all that will happen as far as the federal government is concerned - they don't extend it so the ban expires and then it's up to the state governments. That fits with the current federal government's do nothing form of government.

Previous extensions of the emergency biosecurity conditions (relating to cruising) were made about 4 weeks out from the end date from memory.

45 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

@gbenjo

did that work graham,I m not a big tech wizard.

Yes, thanks. Interesting, I believe there were talks of lifting the ban earlier than the 17th until omnicron stuck its head up but am still relatively confident that we may see a ship here in March given that it will take 60- 90 days to “organize “ once the ban is lifted on the 17th 🤞 and it would not surprise me, given the pent up demand , to see a RC vessel here over our winter.Only my opinion of course but it would be nice  to get back to the OPT and a few days work some day.

Edited by gbenjo
  • Like 2

From National Cabinet meeting today https://www.pm.gov.au/media/national-cabinet-statement-59 Relevant part -

Omicron Variant

National Cabinet received an update from the Chief Medical Officer Professor Paul Kelly on the Omicron variant and governments’ responses. Professor Kelly advised that Australia is still in the early stages of understanding the Omicron variant. 

National Cabinet noted that the Commonwealth Health Minister has extended the human biosecurity emergency period under the Biosecurity Act 2015 for a further two months to 17 February 2022.

• Thanks 2

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/seven-days-out-from-the-end-of-australias-cruise-ban-heres-the-latest-on-what-may-happen/

More waffle,  no plan, no action.  Have I said these words before?  Just hope we can get out of this country next year as we have 3 Med cruises booked, trying to make up for a bit of lost time.

As they've extended the biosecurity act as per the post above, I can't for the life of me understand why they're letting the Great Unvaccinated roam at will in NSW and Vic from next week.  Makes no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1