MDR dress for men on Caribbean cruises

poindexter

17 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

A bit of hyperbole perhaps, Hank?🤣

It was not too many years ago when a hint of shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and t-shirts in the MDR would have been thought of as “hyperbole.”  

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

It was not too many years ago when a hint of shorts, ball caps, flip flops, and t-shirts in the MDR would have been thought of as “hyperbole.”  

It’s nearly 2022, Hank. 

You’re fighting a losing battle but I can certainly understand the need to vent. 

If it makes you feel better, vent away!! But understand doing so will serve only to raise your blood pressure for nothing will come of it. 

My first cruise was aboard the SS Lurline in 1957 so I’m well versed in how things used to be. That said, the world has moved on. It’s NO LONGER 1957. 

Now, if we could resurrect the music of the late 50s, I’d be fully on board with that!😄. But alas, that’s not going to happen either. 🤷🏼‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

It’s nearly 2022, Hank. 

You’re fighting a losing battle but I can certainly understand the need to vent. 

If it makes you feel better, vent away!! But understand doing so will serve only to raise your blood pressure for nothing will come of it. 

My first cruise was aboard the SS Lurline in 1957 so I’m well versed in how things used to be. That said, the world has moved on. It’s NO LONGER 1957. 

Now, if we could resurrect the music of the late 50s, I’d be fully on board with that!😄. But alas, that’s not going to happen either. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Lol, I think you misunderstand.  Not venting or ranting but simply citing reality.  Last evening as we entered the Amalfi MDR a gentleman was exiting wearing gym shorts, flip flops, backwards ball cap, and T shirt.  He was certainly the exception but does represent the new normal of no rules and no judging. 

By the way, when the Static Band had their 50s -60s set the Vista Lounge was packed.  The Platters music does live on 🙂

Hank

Lol, I think you misunderstand.  Not venting or ranting but simply citing reality.  Last evening as we entered the Amalfi MDR a gentleman was exiting wearing gym shorts, flip flops, backwards ball cap, and T shirt.  He was certainly the exception but does represent the new normal of no rules and no judging. 

By the way, when the Static Band had their 50s -60s set the Vista Lounge was packed.  The Platters music does live on 🙂

Hank

As does that of the King!

Rock on, my friend. Rock on!!!

11 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

That's terrible that someone like that guy showed up in the MDR dressed like that, he should have not been admitted, period. 

We started cruising in 1982 and miss the old days with formal nights when EVERYONE was dressed to the nines and for the whole evening. We realize we are in a different time and place but that doesn't mean we have to like it. There has to be a point where someone comes to the dining room dressed almost like a beach bum has to be turned away.

Edited by MISTER 67

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

That's terrible that someone like that guy showed up in the MDR dressed like that, he should have not been admitted, period. 

We started cruising in 1982 and miss the old days with formal nights when EVERYONE was dressed to the nines and for the whole evening. We realize we are in a different time and place but that doesn't mean we have to like it. There has to be a point where someone comes to the dining room dressed almost like a beach bum has to be turned away.

As you clearly enjoy “dressing to the nines”, you are surely encouraged to continue doing so. I don’t so I will continue wearing black jeans and a Hawaiian shirt each and every night in CC dining. 

Perhaps you might consider asking the Head Waiter for a window table in order that you are able to enjoy the ocean view and not have to look at we riffraff seated behind you. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

As you clearly enjoy “dressing to the nines”, you are surely encouraged to continue doing so. I don’t so I will continue wearing black jeans and a Hawaiian shirt each and every night in CC dining. 

Perhaps you might consider asking the Head Waiter for a window table in order that you are able to enjoy the ocean view and not have to look at we riffraff seated behind you. 

Do you wear Hawaiian shirts and jeans when you go to weddings and funerals, if not, why not?

I think what you say is out of date.  In the MDR there are no longer wine stewards pushing wine.  Many have drink packages (I.e. Princess Plus) which gets them glasses of wine (very limited selection) which waiters must get from a bar tender.  We see very few tables

where folks have bought bottles.  Even in the Crown Grill there was no attempt to push bottled wine.  As to the photographers, they are still everywhere (and annoying) but do not seem to do much business on formal nights.

As much as DW and I enjoy formal nights we would agree that the current half baked hybrid formal nights are a ridiculous waste of effort.  At this point Princess just as well allow bikinis and bare feet in the MDRs.

Hank

I think you may be correct. Most people since we started cruising again have the plus package so there's no need to push the expensive wine any longer.

12 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Do you wear Hawaiian shirts and jeans when you go to weddings and funerals, if not, why not?

My husband wears his dress pants & either a polo or guayabera shirt to funerals, 

This is how he wants to go out also. Nothing fancy, comfortable. 

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Oh my screaming God. Are you really going there? UFB

Your attempt at conflating death and dinner is both laughable and pitiful. 

Bless your little heart. 

• Haha 1

Aren't there other cruise lines? - why yes, there are

Do some cruise lines strictly enforce a formal dress code ? - I dunno as I have no desire to cruise those at this particular time ... but if I did want a cruise like that ... it wouldn't be on Princess and prolly not at the Princess price point to which I am accustomed.

j/s

• Like 1

There is NO solution to this other than having cruise line guidelines AND having those guidelines enforced in the same manner across all ships in the cruise line fleet.  Does not matter what the guidelines are unless they are enforced.

Make a decision.  If this is a huge issue for you then only cruise on lines that have a dress code that you like and that enforce it.

Otherwise...why bother whining about it?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

All the time when we lived in Hawaii.....even got us into best restaurants at the 4 Seasons and it is no problems at funerals there either.....sounds like you are trying to demean a whole proud culture......

Princess Formal nights are Fake Fun!!!  Quit with the pretense that they are glamour....I have never seen such dowdily looking clothes in my life except at  Princess Formal nights....😂

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

All the time when we lived in Hawaii.....even got us into best restaurants at the 4 Seasons and it is no problems at funerals there either.....sounds like you are trying to demean a whole proud culture......

Princess Formal nights are Fake Fun!!!  Quit with the pretense that they are glamour....I have never seen such dowdily looking clothes in my life except at  Princess Formal nights....😂

Why do some of you people hate dressing up once in awhile, it really doesn't hurt.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

Wow! Way to judge everyone with one vicious swipe. Rude AF 

Good thing that your opinion doesn't matter; my DH's opinion does; and mine of him.

He looks smashing in his tux, and he things I still cut a decent look in whatever evening gowns I take (and FYI, they aren't dowdy or trashy by any standard; not sure what your "look" is). 

People dress how they choose and good on them for feeling good in their own skin and clothes. It's not on you to judge them as dowdy. 

For kicks, show us your best look and I'll show you mine.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 7:25 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

I've never understood why Princess doesn't resolve all this sturm and drang over formal wear. The solution is simple and obvious.

There are three MDRs. Give one or two of them over to strict formal wear requirements and leave the other as casual wear. Adjust the ratio according to demand.

Voila, everybody happy.

Why force the tastes and preferences of one group onto another group when it's not necessary?

Great solution to the problem!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Why do some of you people hate dressing up once in awhile, it really doesn't hurt.

Because they hate being told what they SHOULD look like to meet some arbitrary standard. I had to wear a uniform for 20 years and I swore never again.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Potstech said:

Because they hate being told what they SHOULD look like to meet some arbitrary standard. I had to wear a uniform for 20 years and I swore never again.

Brilliant!!

Sad however that your wise and incredibly enlightened words are certain to fall on the deaf ears of @MISTER 67and the rest of the OLD GUARD fashion police. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

21 hours ago, voljeep said:

Aren't there other cruise lines? - why yes, there are

Do some cruise lines strictly enforce a formal dress code ? - I dunno as I have no desire to cruise those at this particular time ... but if I did want a cruise like that ... it wouldn't be on Princess and prolly not at the Princess price point to which I am accustomed.

j/s

Cunard is the only one we have traveled on who strictly enforce a formal dress code.
And when we sailed on the QM2 we abided by the dress code...
But unless we are using it as "transportation" to or from Europe, we choose not to sail on her due to the formal nature of the sailings.  If we decide we want the more formal atmosphere we certainly will sail her again!

Edited by suzyed

3 hours ago, suzyed said:

Cunard is the only one we have traveled on who strictly enforce a formal dress code.
And when we sailed on the QM2 we abided by the dress code...
But unless we are using it as "transportation" to or from Europe, we choose not to sail on her due to the formal nature of the sailings.  If we decide we want the more formal atmosphere we certainly will sail her again!

@MISTER 67, I believe all of the collective minds working together have found a real solution toy you. 

You are most welcome😃

Enjoy Your Cruise!

17 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Because people do, or avoid doing, whatever you can name to derive pleasure or avoid discomfort. Then there's a few who just like to be a jerk when they can get away with it.

We find dressing for dinner adds value to the experience. Not an obligation but an opportunity. Many feel that way and I wish more did, but some don't see it that way and you can't explain it or force them. To us, the packing and dressing yields more benefit than hassle.

It's also a part of human nature that we need structure and limits. With the selling of the Pacific Princess, all ships have multiple dining rooms, I like the idea of keeping one informal dining room. 

Edited by mtnesterz

47 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Because people do, or avoid doing, whatever you can name to derive pleasure or avoid discomfort. Then there's a few who just like to be a jerk when they can get away with it.

We find dressing for dinner adds value to the experience. Not an obligation but an opportunity. Many feel that way and I wish more did, but some don't see it that way and you can't explain it or force them. To us, the packing and dressing yields more benefit than hassle.

It's also a part of human nature that we need structure and limits. With the selling of the Pacific Princess, all ships have multiple dining rooms, I like the idea of keeping one informal dining room. 

You can also say that people who like to dress up formally have all the same opportunities at home to do so. Why limit your pleasure only to a cruise ship especially when it involves extra clothing to be packed? Thankfully Princess has gotten away from that. 

Having the freedom to dress casually on a cruise ship gives us enjoyment & takes nothing away from your pleasure if you care to do so. 

Maybe they should turn Club Class dining into a formal only area for those that desire it.