When will I get notified of my embarkation day check in time?

SeattleAl

I'm not sailing until August out of Seattle, but I'm wondering when I might be given a check-in time. We have some logistical planning to do to gather several people that day and I'd just like to have some idea when I'll get the information on when we can board so we can plan. We do have an 18 month old with us, so we don't want to get to the dock 2-3 hours early and have to wait around for hours. Thanks!

Just now, SeattleAl said:

I'm not sailing until August out of Seattle, but I'm wondering when I might be given a check-in time. We have some logistical planning to do to gather several people that day and I'd just like to have some idea when I'll get the information on when we can board so we can plan. We do have an 18 month old with us, so we don't want to get to the dock 2-3 hours early and have to wait around for hours. Thanks!

Usually you can check in online 445 days prior and pick your check in time then

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, SeattleAl said:

Look in the app.  It will list the day that check-in will open.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, later said:

Look in the app.  It will list the day that check-in will open.

I believe this is very ship dependent. I cannot even select my August 2022 cruises in the app, just get a notice saying  "We're working on the fun" Check back later for more details. These are on Explorer and Jewel.

Generally speaking, beginning the boarding process in Seattle begins once you arrive at Pier 91.  The doors to the terminal opened up as early as 11:30, but sometimes noon.  We won't know more until the season starts in May.

The best advice I can give you is to encourage everyone in your group to enter as much information on-line as possible so the check-in agents using the hand-held devices can quickly scan passports and send them on their way.

Also, please make sure that they all have the needed travel documents (passport, passport card, gov't issued birth certificate (not hospital issued), and be careful about the Enhanced Driver's License vs Real ID.  Enhanced Driver's Licenses are only issued from five states (Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington state), so if your friend from CA or TN tells you they are traveling with an Enhanced DL, they are not, and they will be denied boarding.

Hope this helps!

On 12/12/2021 at 2:04 PM, SeattleAl said:

First things first, does everyone have the Royal app loaded? If you click on the head on top right, it should tell you your check in date. Not sure about Aug., but my May sailing date shows.

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

First things first, does everyone have the Royal app loaded? If you click on the head on top right, it should tell you your check in date. Not sure about Aug., but my May sailing date shows.

Hmmm, really?? I'm sailing on the Anthem in February, and I can't find check in specifics anywhere in the app.

When I click on the person icon, the screen shows the correct sailing (and my first name) but is.... kinda greyed out? It also says my crown and anchor is "status pending." Below that is our stateroom number and dining time, but not actually anything re: check-in. I haven't been on Royal since 2018, so I assumed this was normal? 

On 12/12/2021 at 1:04 PM, SeattleAl said:

August 2022...start checking in July

On 12/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, SeattleAl said:

you're not given a check in time, When check in opens for your cruise, you tell them what time you want to arrive at the port. Keep checking your app so you can snag the time you want.

On 12/12/2021 at 4:05 PM, molly361 said:

Usually you can check in online 445 days prior and pick your check in time then

6 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I'm not a mind reader but I  suspect Molly361 meant 45 days.

M

I think she meant 44 days.  🤪

31 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Hmmm, really?? I'm sailing on the Anthem in February, and I can't find check in specifics anywhere in the app.

When I click on the person icon, the screen shows the correct sailing (and my first name) but is.... kinda greyed out? It also says my crown and anchor is "status pending." Below that is our stateroom number and dining time, but not actually anything re: check-in. I haven't been on Royal since 2018, so I assumed this was normal? 

Typical Royal….everybody has something different. This is under my stateroom info

A8AC44DA-EE7C-42B6-8A39-CB0786669E97.thumb.png.b537aa926c73ae4ddb88bfce91432a33.png

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Generally speaking, beginning the boarding process in Seattle begins once you arrive at Pier 91.  The doors to the terminal opened up as early as 11:30, but sometimes noon.  We won't know more until the season starts in May.

The best advice I can give you is to encourage everyone in your group to enter as much information on-line as possible so the check-in agents using the hand-held devices can quickly scan passports and send them on their way.

Also, please make sure that they all have the needed travel documents (passport, passport card, gov't issued birth certificate (not hospital issued), and be careful about the Enhanced Driver's License vs Real ID.  Enhanced Driver's Licenses are only issued from five states (Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington state), so if your friend from CA or TN tells you they are traveling with an Enhanced DL, they are not, and they will be denied boarding.

Hope this helps!

I am trying to understand the requirement.  If a U.S. citizen doesn't have a passport book/card, they can use a state issued ID and birth certificate (for closed loop cruises).

I was not aware that Royal Caribbean cares about a Real ID vs. Enhanced DL.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I haven't been on Royal since 2018, so I assumed this was normal? 

What is normal is to expect RCI IT issues, but what you are seeing is not normal. Check in should be 45 days out - don’t rely on the app to tell you that, though you may get a surprise message reminding you of that. 

Edited by Biker19

Just now, soremekun said:

I am trying to understand the requirement.  If a U.S. citizen doesn't have a passport book/card, they can use a state issued ID and birth certificate (for closed loop cruises).

I was not aware that Royal Caribbean cares about a Real ID vs. Enhanced DL.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

A gov't issued birth Certificate along with a Gov't issued ID such as a regular driver's license, or Real ID driver's license, or student ID are all acceptable.

The problem occurs if you are mistakenly using as your citizenship ID just your Real ID Driver's License -  - (i.e., not traveling with a passport or birth certificate). 

Passengers run in to trouble when they think that JUST their Real ID driver's license is sufficient. (I have had passengers present their CA, TN, MA driver's license (without having their birth certificate with them) thinking their DL was all they needed because it was a Real ID driver license - they all had to call home in hopes that someone could find and send a photo of their birth certificate to the pier.

(Enhanced Driver's License are acceptable on their own for a closed loop cruise - but they are only issued from 5 states: MI, MN, NY VT WA).

Accepted ID for US citizens on a closed loop cruise:

Passport

passport card

gov't issued Birth Certificate w/gov't issued ID  (no hospital certificates w/footprints) 

Enhanced Driver's license (MI, MN, NY, VT, WA - the EDL clearly printed "Enhanced Driver License")

Naturalization Certificate

Birth Abroad Certificate

Green Card (US Permanent Resident Card)

Tribal Membership Card

Not accepted on it's own:

Real ID Driver's License  (must also have a gov't issued birth certificate)

I check-in passengers.  It is heartbreaking when folks show up at the pier without the proper travel ID.  I share this info to help prevents folks from making this mistake.  It can be confusing, but it's important to educate people.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Typical Royal….everybody has something different. This is under my stateroom info

A8AC44DA-EE7C-42B6-8A39-CB0786669E97.thumb.png.b537aa926c73ae4ddb88bfce91432a33.png

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

What is normal is to expect RCI IT issues, but what you are seeing is not normal. Check in should be 45 days out - don’t rely on the app to tell you that, though you may get a surprise message reminding you of that. 

So odd! Below is what I'm getting in the app. I also checked the website, and it just says they'll email when check-in is available. I've backdated 45 days to 28 December, so I guess I'll just check the app and website that morning.

IMG_1349.thumb.jpg.d8b0f64d5b07cde00ad2de1a7f9df946.jpg

Today is my 45 day mark and exactly as indicated on the app I was able to check in today.

Since I was awake as the clock struck 12, I decided to see if the app would update  to check in available and it did. It allowed me to check in just fine.

I got an email at 6AM this morning that I was officially checked in and that my cruise is only 1 day away. I double checked my app and online, including my Set Sail Pass to be sure the sail date was correct and it is. Odd that it says that, but I'm not too worried, think it's probably just a form letter anyway.