NCL is now cutting services offered after final payment on 7 day Pride of America cruise

Kruzin Karen

We got this lovely note today from Norwegian. We're already paying more than double what we would usually pay for a 7 day balcony for two, and we were just informed that since there will be reduced passengers they will be cutting staff and services. The main dining room will not be open for breakfast or lunch. Moderno and Teppanyaki (our favorites) will be closed. We sail Norwegian for the food the and amazing variety of specialty restaurants, and on our last cruise in October we were so pleased with the quality of the breakfasts and lunches in the main dining when the staff was under less pressure with the reduced capacity. I am further enraged because this is probably my last cruise due to issues with cancer, and even if they were willing to cancel I wouldn't get much use out of a future cruise credit. Please don't tell me how lovely Hawaii is and that I'll spend all my time off the ship anyway. We've been on this same cruise 4 times already. This was our goodbye trip. Oh, they also announced the mask requirement the day after we paid in full.

How much do cruise companies get to change the deal they originally offered before it becomes a "bait and switch" situation? Would getting our lawyer involved help us get a refund? Paying double for a cruise with limited amenities gripes my cookies. Last time I looked sail away balconies were going for $3,699/pp (with no amenities like upsell dining or beverage packages).

They’ve closed the kids clubs until further notice, they can cancel shows, shut down features like ropes courses, miss ports, shorten cruise durations, cancel excursions - cruise lines can turn a 7 night cruise to Bermuda into a 4 night cruise to Boston. 

16 minutes ago, Kruzin Karen said:

We got this lovely note today from Norwegian. We're already paying more than double what we would usually pay for a 7 day balcony for two, and we were just informed that since there will be reduced passengers they will be cutting staff and services. The main dining room will not be open for breakfast or lunch. Moderno and Teppanyaki (our favorites) will be closed. We sail Norwegian for the food the and amazing variety of specialty restaurants, and on our last cruise in October we were so pleased with the quality of the breakfasts and lunches in the main dining when the staff was under less pressure with the reduced capacity. I am further enraged because this is probably my last cruise due to issues with cancer, and even if they were willing to cancel I wouldn't get much use out of a future cruise credit. Please don't tell me how lovely Hawaii is and that I'll spend all my time off the ship anyway. We've been on this same cruise 4 times already. This was our goodbye trip. Oh, they also announced the mask requirement the day after we paid in full.

How much do cruise companies get to change the deal they originally offered before it becomes a "bait and switch" situation? Would getting our lawyer involved help us get a refund? Paying double for a cruise with limited amenities gripes my cookies. Last time I looked sail away balconies were going for $3,699/pp (with no amenities like upsell dining or beverage packages).

We just did our last cruise together on the Joy in November. DH has cancer and we wanted to enjoy our anniversary. We wore masks indoors and ate outside at all the restaurants and had a wonderful time. I know it feels awful to have expectations change when you wanted an extra special experience. If you go I know you will still have a great time together. We booked last minute so paid a lot more than we have ever paid before but it was worth it. 

• Like 1

Firstly, I am sorry to hear you have Cancer. So much to deal with. Cancer Sucks.

When is your cruise scheduled to depart? There is a decent chance that the first group of cruises from Hawaii will be cancelled by the state, thus allowing you to reschedule on something with less restrictions. 

I share your frustration. We are platinum on NCL but lately have been booking RC because NCL was more expensive for our cabin type.  But for the cruise we are currently on we paid the extra for NCL specifically because at 12 my daughter still qualifies for the kids club and she does not on RC. We confirmed the kids club was open at final payment.  We got a letter 24 hours prior to sailing saying they had closed the kids club. Luckily I knew from this board prior to that but is all the actual notice they gave us. And by the time I found out through the board we were past final payment and of course, no offer for FCC which we would have done. 

Thank you all for your kindness during my (entirely justified) temper tantrum. One thing I didn't mention is that The Pride of America is a smaller ship which I believe has only 5 upsell restaurants, so closing two of them is closing almost half the available options.

59 minutes ago, Kruzin Karen said:

Thank you all for your kindness during my (entirely justified) temper tantrum. One thing I didn't mention is that The Pride of America is a smaller ship which I believe has only 5 upsell restaurants, so closing two of them is closing almost half the available options.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I would object with them having to close two popular pay restaurants for the entire cruise. With reduced passenger capacity and staff, they should consider opening those two restaurants for, say, two evenings - different evenings, so this way the same staff can work.

If the main dining room is to be closed for breakfast and lunch, will the secondary dining room will be open for breakfast and lunch?

NCL should be more proactive and open these 3 restaurants: Moderno, Teppanyaki and the smaller dining room twice during the cruise and on different days. The wait and kitchen staff can be easily cross-trained. JMHO.

When we were on Crystal Symphony back in October, two of their restaurants opened on alternate nights.

Our favourite breakfast spot was the Cadillac Diner.

Lastly, don't forget that POA is supposed to be 100% American/Green card holders.

Edited by bluesea777

15 hours ago, Kruzin Karen said:

Honestly, I would be  upset too.   Seems NCL has been cutting back every where.  They recently took away butler and concierge services (along with other amenities) from the Joy suite I booked and paid for without any notice.   

Hope you still have an wonderful trip and sorry about your health issues.

This really stinks.  I like the diner also but will it be substantially more crowded since the mdr will be closed?  The diner also has outside seating and that's where I would be.  There is also a nice outdoor space behind the buffet where you can take your food outside and eat.   How is room service on NCL?  If you have health issues and want to avoid crowds, I would do room service along with Cagney's, Le Bistro, and La Cucina. 

I too am completely dissatisfied with NCL. They have sunk to new lows we have had 5 cruises cancelled over 2 years, not possible to use my cruise next and they refuse to extend dates. They have no problem holding my credits (money) during pandemic. Extend no courtesy to loyal repeat customers. I guess they want us to try other cruise lines.

• Like 2

Please keep an eye out on Hawaii possibly changing the definition of “fully vaccinated”.  Carnival just sent out an email for the Miracle sailing warning people that Hawaii may require a booster and to get the booster now to be considered fully vaccinated in case Hawaii change their mind for the 1/14 sailing.  The plus side is Carnival is offering free cancellation until mid January so at least it gives people an option.

On 12/28/2021 at 3:10 PM, Kruzin Karen said:

Would getting our lawyer involved help us get a refund? 

I went after MSC with a lawyer and got an eye opening awaking.  You have zero chance of getting anything. The contract is all in their favor every way you look at it. Also keep in mind you must go after them in South Florida. You are not entitled to attorney fee's even if you prevail. 

The one thing you will need to prove is what your damages are monetarily. You are not guaranteed any ports. You are not guaranteed specialty venues to eat. You are not even guaranteed entertainment.

All you purchased and am entitled to is a trip leaving the port and either coming back to the same or different port. If the ship breaks down you have a prayer. 

It is lousy and there is almost nothing you can do. Test positive and you can get an FCC. 

On 12/28/2021 at 12:41 PM, Shayhooper said:

IMO this is a case where I would use my travel insurance to cancel and get a refund.

But the OP may not have that kind of insurance. You would need CFAR insurance, which is expensive and usually has a deductible.  And you lose both of those expenses if you cancel.  

CFAR insurance was intended for people with unique situations.  Like if you may need to cancel because it is likely that you may get called into work.  Not for a raging pandemic.   

In cases where you pay for a service, and NCL changes or eliminates those services, for whatever reason.  You would hope that they would give you an option for a refund or some kind of compensation, and not expect you to rely on insurance.  Other cruise lines would be more supportive.  

2 hours ago, Lou33 said:

But the OP may not have that kind of insurance. You would need CFAR insurance, which is expensive and usually has a deductible.  And you lose both of those expenses if you cancel.  

CFAR insurance was intended for people with unique situations.  Like if you may need to cancel because it is likely that you may get called into work.  Not for a raging pandemic.   

In cases where you pay for a service, and NCL changes or eliminates those services, for whatever reason.  You would hope that they would give you an option for a refund or some kind of compensation, and not expect you to rely on insurance.  Other cruise lines would be more supportive.  

CFAR coverage is indeed "Cancel For ANY Reason", any reason that isn't otherwise covered, at least with Travel Insured (or at least with one type of policy from Travel Insured).  If it were for a covered reason, one would typically get more $$ back, and wouldn't need CFAR.

And I've never before heard of a "deductible" for CFAR travel insurance, an amount that the insured must first pay before the insurance kicks in.

There are "terms" such as starting the coverage within the required time frame, covering all costs, and not cancelling within those final 48 hours (this for coverage from Travel Insured).  But the terms or restrictions don't include "what reason".

This is for ANY reason not otherwise covered.

I tend to think of it as "CFNR":  Cancel for NO Reason at all 😉

Do some companies restrict the "any" reason in their CFAR?  If so, why is it called Cancel for *ANY* Reason?

GC

@GeezerCouple Yes of course you can use CFAR insurance for any reason, including something related to a raging pandemic.  My point is that you shouldn't have to do that.  For example, with Royal Caribbean, if there is a significant change to your cruise because of COVID or a significant change to the COVID protocals, and you are not happy with those changes, they will give you a cash refund for the whole cruise if you request it.  

• Like 1

We are so very sorry about your health.  We knew there would be concessions made because of the virus, but NCL actions are surprising. We always eat breakfast in the main dining room, for example. And strange that they are not keeping open the restaurants that bring in more money. I guess the extra staff that would be required is not cost effective for them. Sad also for the many staff members that are still not employed. We had hoped to sail POA in March,  and have not paid our final payments, and have decided to cancel and just stay on a couple islands instead. I read today that 88 cruise ships are being monitored by the CDC for virus outbreaks. For now, as much as we love cruising, we will figure out alternatives in order to continue to travel as we can. 

9 minutes ago, MaChere said:

I read today that 88 cruise ships are being monitored by the CDC for virus outbreaks.

As of today it looks like every NCL ship that carries passengers is in the Yellow category.  The only exceptions are few ships with crew only, that are Orange or Green.  Same with other cruise lines.  There are only four ships across the whole cruise industry within CDC guidance that are carrying passengers and in the Green category.  

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

I suspect closing Teppanyaki and Moderno has more to do with social distancing than employee numbers. 

Teppanyaki: everyone sits at a shared table with strangers not part of your normal group. Food is prepared tableside while nobody is wearing a mask (except the chef). They consider it too risky mixing people this way. 

Moderno: kind of same. While everyone sits at their own parties the food is paraded from table to table while the people on those tables have no masks on. Again a no-no considering risk of spreading the highly contagious omicron. 

I suspect they might close Teppanyaki and Moderno on other ships too. Much safer too keep everyone at their own tables and make sure dishes come directly from kitchen to specific table. 

i do love both of these restaurants so can understand very well the frustration but IMO those two restaurants are also the most covid risk ones of speciality restaurants for the above reasons: mixing guests to the same tables and preparing foods tableside/going from table to table with the same foods. 

• Like 2

I ran into a similar issue with a gym at home. They pushed us into renewing our contract early; and then shortly after announced cutting the hours back and no more classes (this was long before covid). When I went in to complain they showed me the contract language that they can cancel any services at any time. Essentially, as long as they were ‘open’ they fulfilled their end and the contract was enforced.

I suspect the cruise line contracts have similar language. So getting a lawyer involved wouldn’t help. It would be nice if they offered you alternatives, but they don’t have to. All you can do is speak with your money. We obviously did not renew our contracts the next year. The gym went out of business within 2 years; so many others must have felt the same.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1