A Canadian takes on a S2B2B on Oasis 1/2/22, Odyssey 1/9/22 & 1/15/22 (hopefully)

On 1/25/2022 at 3:07 PM, #55worktoplay said:

I can’t believe it!  So glad you are at home instead of still down in Florida on your dime for 10 days. 

I hope you stay relatively healthy during your next quarantine. 

I so want to go cruising the end of March but just can’t chance the 11 day quarantine for work reasons. I figure I had it already but no chance of getting a rapid antigen test here let alone a PCR test at the time.  It would be a good thing if I did have it to be holding a positive test result in my hand right now. 

You should be able to pay for a PCR test at a private pharmacy. This place is apparently the cheapest in Ontario at $100 for a PCR test: medionerx.com 

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 1:52 PM, JessyCruises said:

So after looking at the test results I got (posted above) I am not sure if it is detailed enough for me to use in the future.  I went to the Province of NB and signed up for a travel PCR test just so I would have complete documentation.  They already called me back to book a time and I explained I tested positive and need an official PCR test result for a trip in March.  They have me coming in for a test on Friday which would be 5 days since I tested positive.

She told me that I would be testing positive for months.  When I told her hubby tested positive on 1/13 and negative on 1/21 she said that was very rare.

Are you planning a cruise in March and planning on the cruise lines accepting a "letter of recovery" negating the need to test prior to boarding a cruise because I know that haven't been accepting the letter previously or maybe it is different for guests from Canada?

Just now, like2cruise said:

Are you planning a cruise in March and planning on the cruise lines accepting a "letter of recovery" negating the need to test prior to boarding a cruise because I know that haven't been accepting the letter previously or maybe it is different for guests from Canada?

No, if we cruise in March we know we will need to provide either a negative antigen or PCR.  Paul is already testing negative

• Like 2

9 hours ago, like2cruise said:

The reason why she wants to get her positive PCR test result formalized is that to re-enter Canada you either have to have a negative PCR test done 72 hours prior to entry or a positive result taken 10 - 180 days prior to entry. If you have neither you either you risk a $5000 (plus surcharge) fee per traveller.

As a few other people have mentioned, you know the regulations are stupid when people are happy to have a positive result so they don't have to go through the expense and stress of securing a rapid PCR test after disembarking so that they can come home. 

• Like 5

Got a call from a screener at the Govt of Canada to give me a rundown today.  Apparently I have to quarantine for 10 days, not 5.  

I also got the email below just now which says I need to isolate for 14 days, not 10.  Clear as mud...

Government of Canada / Gouvernement du Canada

An Emergency Order under the Quarantine Act that applies to all travellers arriving in Canada is currently in force. As such, you are required by law to follow the directions you were provided at the port of entry regarding your quarantine and testing obligations.

This message is to remind you that you must follow the requirements outlined in this email that apply to your situation, as were determined when you entered Canada.

IF YOU:

1. Were randomly selected to complete COVID-19 molecular testing; AND,
  2. In the 14 days before your arrival in Canada, you were in a country OTHER THAN Canada and the United States

THEN, YOU MUST:

• quarantine for 14 days starting on your date of entry in Canada OR until you have received a negative test result from the day 1 COVID-19 molecular test, whichever comes first;
  • report your arrival at your place of quarantine within 48 hours after entering Canada by calling the Public Health Agency of Canada at 1-833-641-0343; and
  • report your COVID-19 symptoms status daily for 14 days starting on your date of entry in Canada OR until you have received a negative test result by calling the Public Health Agency of Canada at 1-833-641-0343

IF YOU:

1. Were randomly selected to complete COVID-19 molecular testing; AND,
  2. In the 14 days before your arrival in Canada, you were ONLY in the United States or Canada

THEN, YOU MUST:

• complete the DAY 1 test within 24 hours of entering Canada;
  • for the 14 days after you entered Canada, monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19; and
  • maintain a list of the names and contact information of every person you have come into close contact with during the 14-day period AND all of the places you have been

IF YOU:

1. Were NOT randomly selected to complete COVID-19 molecular testing

THEN, YOU MUST:

• for the 14 days after you entered Canada, monitor yourself for symptoms of COVID-19; and
  • maintain a list of the names and contact information of every person you have come into close contact with during the 14-day period AND all of the places you have been

For the 14 days after you entered Canada, if you test positive for COVID-19 or develop symptoms, you must:

• immediately isolate yourself from other members of your household for a period of 10 days that starts from the day you received your positive test result, swabbed your nose, or developed symptoms;
  • report your symptoms or positive test to the Minister of Health by calling 1-833-641-0343; and
  • contact your local public health authority.

REQUIREMENTS FOR UNVACCINATED CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 12
For 14 days after entering Canada, unvaccinated children under 12 who entered Canada with vaccinated guardians, must:

A screening officer may contact you to confirm your compliance with these requirements. Failure to comply may result in fines of up to $5000 and/or transfer to a designated quarantine facility.

We urge you to be diligent in meeting these requirements; this will help slow the spread of the virus and save lives.

Thank you for continuing to do your part!

So the Covid police just showed up at my house.  I had to talk to them through the master bedroom window as I am self isolating in our master suite.  I had to show my ID through the bedroom window.  Good thing our Condo is on the street level 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

So the Covid police just showed up at my house.  I had to talk to them through the master bedroom window as I am self isolating in our master suite.  I had to show my ID through the bedroom window.  Good thing our Condo is on the street level 😁

OMG!  

At least they are doing their due diligence I guess.

I know others that tested positive but were not travelling and they never had anyone just show up and make sure they were home and isolating.  I wonder if I am being treated differently or the people I know were just lucky.

• Like 1

We got phone calls twice (each) to confirm we were following the rules, but no one showed up at our door. 

Funny how our PM was exposed to someone with COVID, but only needs to isolate for 5 days? I know it is provincial rules vs. federal, but still does not make any sense. Federal and provincial public health should all be on same page, but that would be too simple I guess. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OACAggie said:

We got phone calls twice (each) to confirm we were following the rules, but no one showed up at our door. 

Funny how our PM was exposed to someone with COVID, but only needs to isolate for 5 days? I know it is provincial rules vs. federal, but still does not make any sense. Federal and provincial public health should all be on same page, but that would be too simple I guess. 

In BC it’s the same-5 days.  Unless you have symptoms that last longer supposedly.  It’s so confusing.  

3 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

In BC it’s the same-5 days.  Unless you have symptoms that last longer supposedly.  It’s so confusing.  

It is only 5 days here in NB too if you are vaccinated, that is why it is so confusing.  I am going to call Public Health tomorrow

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 8.37.33 PM.png

Edited by JessyCruises
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Wow! Most of Ontario can't even get a test to confirm if you are positive or not, let alone get the case tracked, yet travelers are being monitored to that level? Crazy time. Hope you aren't feeling too bad. 

• Like 1

@JessyCruises Wow, I’m amazed they have enough resources to have Covid inspectors check houses!  Do they wear tactical vests that say COVID on the back? 🚔

I think your whole experience should be made into a movie.  Who would you like to play you and Paul?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, D4 said:

@JessyCruises Wow, I’m amazed they have enough resources to have Covid inspectors check houses!  Do they wear tactical vests that say COVID on the back? 🚔

I think your whole experience should be made into a movie.  Who would you like to play you and Paul?

I was not paying attention to the guys vest - Paul said it was something like Bylaw enforcement officer.  If they come back I will pay more attention.

Hubby's name is Paul Walker, so he would have been ideal casting, but that might be a bit of a challenge.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is only 5 days in Alberta too, but on the Alberta website it is clear that if you have travelled out of the country you have to follow the federal rules, which for travel is still 10 days. This is the wording from the Canada website:

Positive arrival test or symptoms after your arrival

Monitor for symptoms for 14 days after your arrival.

If a fully vaccinated traveller or unvaccinated child under 12 years of age tests positive:

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

14 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

At least they are doing their due diligence I guess.

I know others that tested positive but were not travelling and they never had anyone just show up and make sure they were home and isolating.  I wonder if I am being treated differently or the people I know were just lucky.

No, you are not being treated differently. The Feds have been doing that to returning Canadians throughout the pandemic. 

Remember when your mother would pop over to your place, totally uninvited if you happened to have not called her for a week.... or two.... or three.... or.....

Well, the Feds are like that, just checking up on you to see if you're still alive.  😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Got a call from a screener at the Govt of Canada to give me a rundown today.  Apparently I have to quarantine for 10 days, not 5.  

I also got the email below just now which says I need to isolate for 14 days, not 10.  Clear as mud...

You have to read the small, smaller and smallest print right at the bottom. The 14 days is only in Leap years, and only if the Toronto Maple Leafs', won the Stanley Cup the previous year. 

Always read the small print! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Did they return from cruise vacations?  You know, the worst type of holiday ever?😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, JessyCruises said:

Wow!  Just wow.

Well we have booked the replacement cruise for the folks that were supposed to travel with us!  It will be March 6, 2022 s only a little over a month away and this time were are going with Anthem out of Bayonne so we can drive. We will ALL also only be doing the one week so Paul and I cannot screw up anyone else's cruise by catching Covid on a B2B. 😃  Paul and I have also booked Oasis for 3 weeks in June for a B2B2B.

Testing is not required to cross into the USA via the land border but we will all still need to get the antigen test to board the ship.  Paul and I will not need to be PCR tested to return home as we have our get into Canada free cards, but the other 3 will need to.

My sister was also able to book a guarantee cabin of her own for only a little more than it was to add her as a 3rd to our cabin on the Odyssey sailing that was not meant to be, so we will not be crammed into our cabin like sardines 🙂  

I will probably do another live on the sailing.  I will be taking an ACTUAL vacation this time and will not be working 😂

• Like 25