Zuiderdam Quarantine

NMCruiser123

There is a woman also currently quarantined on the Zuiderdam who has posted some of her experience in a HAL Facebook group. Her hallway photo showed LOTS of used meal trays, so you’re definitely not alone!

Her hubby, although negative, is quarantining with her. (Not sure I would graciously volunteer for that if I were in that situation haha)

So sorry your cruise isn’t going as planned... stay healthy (and sane!)

Edited by shadesofblonde
  • Like 2

Is it a public group?  I’d love to see how someone else’s experience is going

6 hours ago, shadesofblonde said:

There is a woman also currently quarantined on the Zuiderdam who has posted some of her experience in a HAL Facebook group. Her hallway photo showed LOTS of used meal trays, so you’re definitely not alone!

Her hubby, although negative, is quarantining with her. (Not sure I would graciously volunteer for that if I were in that situation haha)

So sorry your cruise isn’t going as planned... stay healthy (and sane!)

• Like 1

Good morning everyone.  Interesting thing I noticed this morning on the balcony.  The neighbor who was located immediately in the cabin forward of me on Deck 6 (until now) was standing on a balcony 2 decks below me, on Deck 4.  He told me his wife tested positive yesterday and they moved them in together down there.  Next to him on the balcony was a member of the crew who moved in yesterday and is symptomatic.  So it looks like its not only my section of the ship on Deck Six, but also Four (and I would assume 5?) that are all being used as quarantine rooms.  That’s a lot of cabins!  I don’t have a good sense of how full they are but I do see people on various balconies intermittently.  Seems like we are filling up though!

Edited by NMCruiser123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 10

8 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Good morning everyone.  Interesting thing I noticed this morning on the balcony.  The neighbor who was located immediately in the cabin forward of me on Deck 6 (until now) was standing on a balcony 2 decks below me, on Deck 4.  He told me his wife tested positive yesterday and they moved them in together down there.  Next to him on the balcony was a member of the crew who moved in yesterday and is symptomatic.  So it looks like its not only my section of the ship on Deck Six, but also Four (and I would assume 5?) that are all being used as quarantine rooms.  That’s a lot of cabins!  I don’t have a good sense of how full they are but I do see people on various balconies intermittently.  Seems like we are filling up though!

That's not good!  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OC PAT said:

Hello Makedo,

I've decided I am calling you Makedo because that is what you are doing and doing as well as can be expected. We were isolated on a HAl ship years ago when hubby got the NorVo.  I never did.  They made me isolate as well though and gave us credit for each day we were isolated in the cabin we started with. He didn't care because he was so sick.  Humor is my always go to when things are so chaotic, so I thought I'd share a bad old joke to make you smile.

A 60 yr. old man and a 60 yr. old woman were enjoying a nice tropical beach.  When the 60 year olds spied an ornate bottle on the shoreline their interest were piqued Always curious they recovered the bottle with a very fancy cork, so he held the bottle as the 60 yr. old woman pulled the cork. And, yes, a genie magically poured out of the bottle. The Genie smiled upon them and said for giving me my freedom I will grant you both one wish.  The 60-year-old woman request a world cruise, flash and she had cruise, plane, train and excursions tickets in her hands. The 60-year-old man was very happy about the gifts received to the woman and requested with glee that he wanted to be with a woman 20 years younger than him.  Poof...he became an 80-year-old man.  An oldie but can still make you smile.

Hang in there Makedo!

This joke made me laugh right out loud -- especially when my DH (who has an advanced degree in math) asked me how he should phrase this to the genie in order to prevent the same mistake.  As I started to help him rephrase this, I stopped in mid-sentence and said "hey, wait a minute, I'm not helping you with this problem -- you're stuck with me!"  LOL

• Haha 5

On 1/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, NMCruiser123 said:

I know…I just ordered 4 glasses of wine (I said feel free to throw them all in the same container if it makes it easier!).  I also discovered the the table in the cabin is heavy enough to use as an exercise weight...awkwardly.  Hopefully I won’t drop it on my face.  Do you think if I asked very nicely they would bring me a dumbbell from the gym?  

Would prefer not to share my name, but I am very appreciative of the company!

Sorry to hear about all of this and glad to hear you have no symptoms!!  We are leaving for our Panama Canal partial transit cruise in 5 days and I've made plenty of notes on what to take with us (just in case).  One question -- did you purchase a beverage package, hence their willingness to bring you wine?  Or, are they just being sympathetic and throwing it in complimentary?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fkfad said:

Sorry to hear about all of this and glad to hear you have no symptoms!!  We are leaving for our Panama Canal partial transit cruise in 5 days and I've made plenty of notes on what to take with us (just in case).  One question -- did you purchase a beverage package, hence their willingness to bring you wine?  Or, are they just being sympathetic and throwing it in complimentary?  

We’ll be leaving with you. Don’t think HAL is giving anything away. We bought the extra package (mainly for the WiFi) but think the beverage package will be put to good use. 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Not good news for us boarding this Sunday unless they’re the ones returning to San Diego & will now be uncontaminable 🤣

thank you for all your posts. I really, really appreciated them!  Knowledge is power. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NMCruiser123 said:

I don't remember where on Deck 6 you said you were located, but it makes sense that it's aft. I really hope that Deck 5 doesn't have QT patients too!!!!  I'm wondering if the people on Deck 4 are the symptomatic passengers? They would be that much closer to medical. Do you know if your neighbors wife has symptoms? 

In case you haven't heard of the new social media craze, here's the link. It will give you something to do for a few minutes each day.

https://www.powerlanguage.co.uk/wordle/

• Like 2

12 hours ago, visagrunt said:

While the port, red and left mnemonic is correct, the odd/even number is not universal.

If you look at deck plans for Celebrity, even numbered cabins are to starboard.

Even weirder, on Disney and RCI ships, outside staterooms are even numbered, regardless of which side of the ship they are on, and inside rooms are odd numbered.

I didn’t know that. I would guess they still follow a maritime pattern for safety equipment. Thank goodness HAL still likes to have their ships look like ships, and not hotels!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I don't remember where on Deck 6 you said you were located, but it makes sense that it's aft. I really hope that Deck 5 doesn't have QT patients too!!!!  I'm wondering if the people on Deck 4 are the symptomatic passengers? They would be that much closer to medical. Do you know if your neighbors wife has symptoms? 

In case you haven't heard of the new social media craze, here's the link. It will give you something to do for a few minutes each day.

Unfortunately, it's not aft; they are forward.  Would you want to be in a cabin "downwind" of there?  Not me, that's for sure. 

@NMCruiser123, I sure hope that you continue to feel well and possibly get to leave isolation before the end of the cruise.   What a mess this all is.  People talk about jigsaw puzzles; there is an awesome one in the APP store that I've been playing for years.  You can even import your own pictures into it.  You can find it here:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/jigsaw-puzzle/id495583717   

While it looks like Disney puzzles, it's not; there are lots of free puzzles and a daily free puzzle.  I typically set mine up (for my iPad) for 100 pieces since that works well with my screen size.  Try it; holler if you need any help with it.

Linda R.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruzingnut said:

Unfortunately, it's not aft; they are forward.  Would you want to be in a cabin "downwind" of there?  Not me, that's for sure

Well, that explains why the food is lukewarm. 

I'd rather be downwind on my verandah, especially on a moving cruise ship, than sitting next to them in the MDR or sharing an elevator.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, seaoma said:

I'd rather be downwind on my verandah, especially on a moving cruise ship, than sitting next to them in the MDR or sharing an elevator.

Exactly - I don't see any issue or cause for concern.  Back before covid when it was common for people to come down with a cold/cruise crud on vacation I seriously doubt they picked it up on their verandah 😉  Outside is safe - that's why masks aren't required there.  A packed football stadium or sold out concert with tens of thousands of people in a relatively small space is obviously a different story.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NMCruiser123 said:

He told me his wife tested positive yesterday and they moved them in together down there.

Oh my!  I sense that could have been us if we had gone.  Or maybe we would have been like Tim, snorkeling off the Huatulco coast.  What might have been....

Hope you are doing as well as you can.. If you haven't started reading The Path Between the Seas, I can also recommend the audible version.  We listened to the abridged version, which was plenty of info.

• Like 1

To the original poster, NM, you are handling this all with such aplomb! Alas, I doubt I would do that well--and hope I never have to find out. I look forward to hearing how you enjoy your transit through the canal--as others have said, stay hydrated (ahem, not only with wine 🙂). 

All the posters who have contributed here have made this a most interesting and very eye-opening thread... 

I also look forward to hearing what response NM gets from HAL corporate to your various suggestions on how quarantine is handled.  I wish you continued improving and good health. 

• Like 2

I believe tomorrow is your fifth day in quarantine.  I hope they test you and that you are negative and released from quarantine.  🤞

I am a teacher, if we test positive but are asymptomatic we are expected to continue to come in to teach.  (Masks are required everyday regardless.)  I've heard that is the policy in many hospitals too. 🤷‍♀️ 

At least you don't have a mask tan.🤣

30 New Funny Coronavirus Jokes for this week. A collection of top funny  memes to boost your mood during self-isolation

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, fkfad said:

6 hours ago, JacquiKay said:

We’ll be leaving with you. Don’t think HAL is giving anything away. We bought the extra package (mainly for the WiFi) but think the beverage package will be put to good use. 🤪

Beverage package was part of Have It All fare.  I don’t think it would have been comped if I didn’t have one.  The internet may have been offered to me for free if I didn’t already have it, but I can’t guarantee that.

6 hours ago, seaoma said:

I just read about this yesterday.  I’m going to try it once I finish this post.

6 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

Unfortunately, it's not aft; they are forward.  Would you want to be in a cabin "downwind" of there?  Not me, that's for sure. 

@NMCruiser123, I sure hope that you continue to feel well and possibly get to leave isolation before the end of the cruise.   What a mess this all is.  People talk about jigsaw puzzles; there is an awesome one in the APP store that I've been playing for years.  You can even import your own pictures into it.  You can find it here:  https://apps.apple.com/us/app/jigsaw-puzzle/id495583717   

While it looks like Disney puzzles, it's not; there are lots of free puzzles and a daily free puzzle.  I typically set mine up (for my iPad) for 100 pieces since that works well with my screen size.  Try it; holler if you need any help with it.

Linda R.

You know I’ve never been a big jigsaw puzzler, but this might be the time to explore new interests.

4 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Exactly - I don't see any issue or cause for concern.  Back before covid when it was common for people to come down with a cold/cruise crud on vacation I seriously doubt they picked it up on their verandah 😉  Outside is safe - that's why masks aren't required there.  A packed football stadium or sold out concert with tens of thousands of people in a relatively small space is obviously a different story.

Sue/WDW1972

I wish they could designate a little spot on the deck somewhere and herd all of us positives up in N-95s to roam in the open for an hour!  Or maybe give us the aft pool for an hour…surely the chlorine would take care of the COVID.  Right?  Maybe not.

3 hours ago, Lizofwisconsin said:

Oh my!  I sense that could have been us if we had gone.  Or maybe we would have been like Tim, snorkeling off the Huatulco coast.  What might have been....

Hope you are doing as well as you can.. If you haven't started reading The Path Between the Seas, I can also recommend the audible version.  We listened to the abridged version, which was plenty of info.

Thank you, the audible version sounds like a good idea.  I’ll be able to get through it faster I think.

1 hour ago, boze9999 said:

I will try and find out more @NMCruiser123. Has Medical indicated when they will re-test you? I would certainly ask for one(s) to establish your first negative test and your ability to celebrate with all of us!

The ship physician called me today for the standard temperature check.  First time I’d heard from her since I got isolated (other calls have been from nurses) although since I’ve been asymptomatic I didn’t necessarily expect a call from her.  I don’t think she was expecting to get roped into a 5 minute tele-therapy session but I am just so happy to talk to anyone.  It doesn’t sound like there will be an option to test-out for an early release.  HAL is obligated to follow CDC 10 day recc for cruises to the letter, and I highly doubt that will change soon.  10 days seems a guaranteed sentence for me.

BUT if a miracle happens and I return to public early, I’m sure you’ll hear the joyful yelling/screaming/sobbing from all areas of the ship.

Eduardo the GSM also calls daily and he tries so hard to cheer me up.  Counseling probably isn’t in his job description but he does an admiral job.  I’m sure he has some conflict management and de-escalation training that he employs in our conversations.

57 minutes ago, ON cruiser said:

To the original poster, NM, you are handling this all with such aplomb! Alas, I doubt I would do that well--and hope I never have to find out. I look forward to hearing how you enjoy your transit through the canal--as others have said, stay hydrated (ahem, not only with wine 🙂). 

All the posters who have contributed here have made this a most interesting and very eye-opening thread... 

I also look forward to hearing what response NM gets from HAL corporate to your various suggestions on how quarantine is handled.  I wish you continued improving and good health. 

Nothing from HAL Corp yet…looking back on the email it may have a tinge of insanity as I hadn’t quite accepted my situation yet.  I’m sure they love getting unhinged emails.  But I think there were some reasonable suggestions in there.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, seaoma said:

I don't remember where on Deck 6 you said you were located, but it makes sense that it's aft. I really hope that Deck 5 doesn't have QT patients too!!!!  I'm wondering if the people on Deck 4 are the symptomatic passengers? They would be that much closer to medical.

The isolation cabins are the very forwardmost cabins on deck 6 and all of deck 4.  Isolated crew members and passengers are on both decks 4 and 6. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

The isolation cabins are the very forwardmost cabins on deck 6 and all of deck 4.  Isolated crew members and passengers are on both decks 4 and 6. 

Thanks for the information. That doesn't bode well for my next cruise where I have a cabin on deck 4. 

Edited by seaoma
  • Like 1

Wow! I just discovered this thread. I have read all of the OP's posts and most of the others. I am sailing on a 14 night Panama Canal cruise on Zuiderdam January 30th. Oh, and will be on deck 4!!!! This assumes of course that the cruise will not be cancelled. I have a feeling we are about to have a four to six week "pause" in cruising until the Omicron variant burns out.

Also I was surprised to see they are quarantining you in a balcony cabin. A cruiser on another line who tested positive were moved from their balcony cabin to an interior cabin and given the explanation that the inside cabins were "negative pressure" cabins like hospital rooms designed for contagious patients. This makes sense since you can't control a balcony cabin like that. However I am gladt o know that if I get quarantined while on Zuiderdam it looks like I would get a balcony cabin. That would make a world of difference I think.

This thread makes me glad I have a bazillion unread kindle ebooks downloaded to my phone. I also will make sure I have a lot of movies / tv shows downloaded from Netflix and Amazon prime before I leave.

My thoughts and prayers are with the OP!!!! Hang in there. Your thread here has been invaluable to us about to cruise on Zuiderdam. 

Edited by notladjr
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Is it a public group?  I’d love to see how someone else’s experience is going

No, private Facebook group, but admission is free ;oD

Lots of people posting about how safe cruising is right now, but I’ve started noticing the posts about quarantine somehow mysteriously disappear within a day

• Like 1