Zuiderdam Quarantine

NMCruiser123

41 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Besides being able to order alcohol, I very much feel like I am a patient onboard now, no longer a guest.  In fact I asked for a slightly unique item to be brought to my room today, if possible (a small ask).  The answer was no, but the explanation was “those are for the guests.”

Whaaaaat???

Did you calmly and quietly explain that YOU ARE A GUEST?! 😯😯

41 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

OP: Seems probable to me that HAL doesn't want you, nor others who are quarantined, nor the rest of the passengers and probably not the outside world, to know how many are infected.

But ... do you have a sense from the size of the quarantine section and/or how many of those cabins are occupied.

A few, more than a dozen, dozens?

Is it possible to estimate?

That seems to vary by cruise line and even Captain.  I have read reports of the Captain on some cruises announcing the number of crew and passengers in quarantine.  

Someone can have my share of puzzles/sudoku etc.  I’ll never be bored enough for that 🤪. What would really bother me is the lack of exercise.  I generally do around 15,000 steps daily plus other exercise thrown in there.  Being confined to such a small area would be hard.  I want to thank the op for letting us know how things look on the other side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I wonder if they use those for crew.  It would be an upgrade for them.

On Princess, would expect HAL to be similar since they share a lot of management, they put crew that is joining the ship in room with large balconies.  The logic is that crew joining the ship had to quarantine for either 10 or 14 days, with no access to facilities for exercise, so they put them into balcony cabins.  They also allowed crew members to smoke on their balconies while in quarantine.

I suspect that they might use insides, for crew a day or two  if they were planning to offload them to a quarantine ship.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Thanks for the advice.  I agree…transitioning to the quarantine experience is very abrupt and unsettling, and comes with minimal information and support.  Well, the medical support I’m sure is available if I needed it, but there seems to be very little thought to the well-being of the quarantine guests beyond their basic needs (nutrition and hygiene.)  I don’t always attend the shows and events onboard, but I desperately wish they were live-streamed now as I have seen them do on Princess.  And every time the cruise and entertainment director comes on the PA to tell me about the highlights of the entertainment onboard tonight…well…that just kills me.  Besides being able to order alcohol, I very much feel like I am a patient onboard now, no longer a guest.  In fact I asked for a slightly unique item to be brought to my room today, if possible (a small ask).  The answer was no, but the explanation was “those are for the guests.”

That is such a terrible thing to say.  I’m sorry you had to hear such a thoughtless remark.

• Like 3

I just talked to the medical center asking for a copy of my positive test result and a letter stating the number of days I was in quarantine.  They said they would give it to me the last day of the cruise.  When I asked why the delay he said “CDC guidelines are constantly changing and it’s possible we might test you again at day 7.”  I told him to not give me false hope and he laughed…I didn’t laugh.  I won’t count on this but it would be amazing if this was shortened.

21 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

I am sorry to hear about your situation.  We are on the cruise with you and I have an active thread (Btimmer Almost Live . . ) going which has pictures of our activities that you might be interested in living vicariously through.  If you need anything acquired in port, let me know and how we might get it to you.  Private message me or email me at tkbowman at gmail dot com.

Tim

Tim I have been reading through your thread and it helps.  Your offer of procurement is so kind.  I actually almost ran out of toothpaste before quarantine, assuming they would sell it in the shop…but no.  Guest services said they don’t have toothpaste onboard which was a very funny thing to hear but I planned to get some in port today.  Once I was quarantined, guest services did manage to scrounge up a travel size Colgate for me from somewhere which I was so appreciative of.  Last thing I need to add to this is cavities!  I think I’m set with supplies now but I’ll certainly contact you if that changes.

24 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

OP: Seems probable to me that HAL doesn't want you, nor others who are quarantined, nor the rest of the passengers and probably not the outside world, to know how many are infected.

But ... do you have a sense from the size of the quarantine section and/or how many of those cabins are occupied.

A few, more than a dozen, dozens?

Is it possible to estimate?

I can’t estimate except to say it is more than a few.  Actually the woman in the cabin next to me got moved out of quarantine today.  Im not sure what that situation was but I was desperately trying to switch bodies with her through the peephole as I watched her walk down the hall with the staff today.  It wasn’t successful.

37 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

I don't know if they are giving them inside cabins but I'm pretty sure there are crew members in quarantine. I saw them delivering box meals into the quarantine area on the second day of the cruise.

I saw one crew (I believe) a couple balconies down from me today.  He had that quarantine look about him.  So hopefully they are getting the good rooms as well as long as there are enough of them.  Indoor cabin would be so cruel.

21 minutes ago, julia said:

Whaaaaat???

Did you calmly and quietly explain that YOU ARE A GUEST?! 😯😯

No.  Solitary confinement really takes the fire out of me.

Now eagerly awaiting high dive and a few glasses of wine!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, NMCruiser123 said:

If any of you on the ship currently want to wave hello as your are walking by on the pier today just look up at the deck 6 forward verandas for a lonely guy with blonde hair on his balcony!  I’m watching all of you walking off the ship with such envy!  Thank you for all the support from everyone in this community, it means a lot.  

Well, your location explains why my cabin was moved from deck 6 forward (6038) to deck 5 midship!  We are supposed to be on the next 2 cruises but are planning on canceling.  I'm so sorry you are in this predicament and glad that you have found someone to talk to at least.  As others suggested, maybe calling some of the other cabins, you can make more friends.  At the very least, you will all be able to commiserate with each other since you are going through the same ordeal. 

Linda R.

• Like 5

I just got a call from medical who told me there is a thermometer in my mailbox, so I stepped out in the hallway (FREEDOM!) to get it…they want me to check my temp daily.  Anyway, looking down the hall, every room I can see to the end both ways has food trays with cardboard container trash in front of them.  So we’re talking at least 20+ rooms that I can see before the little bend in the hall that are occupied with isolators.  And it also appears that they only rarely get the trash.  I don’t know if ships have rats anymore, but if so they got a buffet on deck 6.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 10

7 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

I just got a call from medical who told me there is a thermometer in my mailbox, so I stepped out in the hallway (FREEDOM!) to get it…they want me to check my temp daily.  Anyway, looking down the hall, every room I can see to the end both ways has food trays with cardboard container trash in front of them.  So we’re talking at least 20+ rooms that I can see before the little bend in the hall that are occupied with isolators.  And it also appears that they only rarely get the trash.  I don’t know if ships have rats anymore, but if so they got a buffet on deck 6.

Omg you are so funny!  That’s a lot of rooms.  Would it be that hard to pick up trash?  

Thank you so much for posting about your experience. You are helping many people! We all have questions about how quarantine is handled, and your posts are answering many of my concerns about our future cruises.

One question - does your cabin have interactive TV? Are you able to pause and restart movies?

I hope you continue to feel well - both physically and mentally.

• Like 3

Re:  those are for the guests . . . that would shake my chains for sure! Just thinking of being in quarantine for the duration of the cruise makes me antsy, so you can imagine the ruckus I'd be raising if they responded to my query like that.

I would file a complaint through the Navigator app - from what I've read, the compliments/complaints filed that way are read and dealt with rather quickly.    Despite the fact that you will be receiving FCC's for your time in quarantine, you're still a guest of HAL and will remain so until you step off the ship at the end of the journey.   Ask away!!

Smooth Sailing! 

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Not surprised at the number of rooms.  Even without cases they have a fair number of crew join ship every cruise, and they need to quarantine for 10 days if they are fully vaccinated (according to US definitions) when they join the ship, 14 if they are not (after getting a shot of J&J).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sandiego1 said:

Thank you so much for posting about your experience. You are helping many people! We all have questions about how quarantine is handled, and your posts are answering many of my concerns about our future cruises.

One question - does your cabin have interactive TV? Are you able to pause and restart movies?

I hope you continue to feel well - both physically and mentally.

I’m fairly sure most if not all ships have the interactive tv.  Hal used to have good movies that were fairly recent.  Now they’ve got back to the oldie moldy movies that are between 5 and 60 years old.  While that may be exciting to some it doesn’t float my boat.  Maybe the op will enjoy it.

33 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

…I don’t know if ships have rats anymore, but if so they got a buffet on deck 6.

Oh my! 🥴 Your sense of humor is a source of strength, I’m sure.

Speaking of food: are you able to order from Dive In without a surcharge? Do they allow orders from the MDR menu during (lunch &) dinner hours?

Best wishes!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m fairly sure most if not all ships have the interactive tv.  Hal used to have good movies that were fairly recent.  Now they’ve got back to the oldie moldy movies that are between 5 and 60 years old.  While that may be exciting to some it doesn’t float my boat.  Maybe the op will enjoy it.

Yep interactive TV.  The selection of movies is large but not that many new releases, I agree.  I’ve seen probably 70 percent already.

1 hour ago, syesmar said:

Oh my! 🥴 Your sense of humor is a source of strength, I’m sure.

Speaking of food: are you able to order from Dive In without a surcharge? Do they allow orders from the MDR menu during (lunch &) dinner hours?

Best wishes!

I actually haven’t thought to ask!  But I will tomorrow!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

There was a prior thread about a couple that had to quarantine as well (I believe it was the Koningsdam - but not sure). They were in a Neptune and weren't feeling well ( mild cold symptoms) and they did the right thing and called the medical facility. They were both positive and were moved to a verandah cabin. He documented their journey.

Regarding the Dive In, he was able to order without the delivery surcharge since they couldn't leave their cabin. If you want to order from there and they want to charge you, I suggest you tell them that there was no charge on another ship. And yes, you aren't restricted to just the room service menu. They were also able to order from the MDR menu during meal times.

Stay well!

• Like 4

Thank you so much for posting your experiences! And so sorry this is happening to you. Like many here, we have a reservation later this month and are trying to make that impossible cost/benefit analysis of cancelling or not. 

On the food, the other couple in quarantine (now out) seemed to have been able to order from the specialty restaurants as well. In the unlikely event you haven't seen it, here's a link to their thread that others have mentioned if you want to see how your experiences compare:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2821111-anyone-knows-what-quarantine-is-like-on-board/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NMCruiser123 said:

NO on rats!! I mean please no!! Keep posting I think it's helping you.  I am heading for the airport in a bit, so no more posts from me. Praying and sending positive vibes to you and yours.  Debbie

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NMCruiser123 said:

If you are sick beyond the ship’s capabilities to treat you, you would be disembarked or medical evacuated.  I wonder if this applies to mental breakdowns?  That could be my way off…

This is the kind of sense of humor that will keep you from going completely bonkers during your confinement, keep it up!

As much as I love just cruising and don't even care about getting off the ship at ports it would probably be a big thing if I was told I couldn't.  And then add to that being confined to my stateroom.  Hats off to you for hanging in there.  Fingers, toes, arms & legs all crossed for a shorten length of confinement due to latest CDC directive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1