Zuiderdam Quarantine

NMCruiser123

Thank you for sharing your experience.  We got off the Zuiderdam on the 2nd as you boarded.  I took a covid test after I got home on the 2nd, just to be sure, and it was negative.  I was in a 24 hour quarantine on the Prinsendam on the Amazon River, but I was really sick,  I can't imagine being quarantined for days!  Bravo to you for you for keeping your positive attitude.

Sending Best Wishes your way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMCruiser123 said:

That’s great news!  It is literally the only day I am looking forward to!  And I wish I could quarantine in a cabana the whole cruise. I’d take that!  Rain or shine, heat and humidity!  

Today has been passing pretty quickly.  I worked with my dumbbells for a while, did a crossword, and have been torturing my friends and family for hours on FaceTime.  I also wrote a very lengthy email to HA Corporate Guest Relations with suggestions about the isolation experience, and opinions on 100% FCC being somewhat inadequate for this type of situation…when a cruise is cancelled 125% is often offered…and it is debatable but I think my situation is worse than a cancelled voyage.  It is a little laughable to think that someone held in isolation for 10 days onboard would jump to book another cruise by the end of this year with their FCC…but who knows?  We will see if anything comes of it.

I also got another call from the nurse today to check my temperature (still normal, still asymptomatic).  Turns out she is on her last day of 10 days of quarantine!  She is so excited to be released tonight at 8 PM.  Luckily they gave her a balcony cabin as well.

Ok I’m not a fan of the cold, but I’d do naked snow angels out there right now if it meant I could move around more!

Just received lunch!  Roasted chicken and 2 glasses of Mimi Chardonnay served in an elegant cardboard container!

I don’t know.  It’s been about -40 c with the windchill, maybe -30 without here for about 28 days of the last month.  I was off for 11 of those days and I barely stuck my nose out of the house because it’s ridiculously cold.  I actually left the house and went to work 4 days this week but nothing works in that cold.  I rely on transit plus I have a bit of a walk after I get off the bus. Yesterday I decided to work from home because it’s been so unbearable to deal with the cold.  I’m really not trying to make light of your situation but I’d love to feel that warmth right now and not feel like my skin is frozen the second I step outside.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

https://apple.news/A1QHHnqsFQFuztGh8neNaBg

I don’t know if this link will work, and it might be behind a pay wall but the Washington Post just published a story 

FADDEF0F-D99F-4CEE-BDD7-5CFDBE38644E.thumb.png.bbe94c449f9beca588be46ffc358b157.pngSo glad this is being publicized 

It’s not behind a paywall for me.  That said I started to read it and I guess ncl doesn’t have running water on their ships because they were saying they had to wait hours for water?

10 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I don’t know.  It’s been about -40 c with the windchill, maybe -30 without here for about 28 days of the last month.  I was off for 11 of those days and I barely stuck my nose out of the house because it’s ridiculously cold.  I actually left the house and went to work 4 days this week but nothing works in that cold.  I rely on transit plus I have a bit of a walk after I get off the bus. Yesterday I decided to work from home because it’s been so unbearable to deal with the cold.  I’m really not trying to make light of your situation but I’d love to feel that warmth right now and not feel like my skin is frozen the second I step outside.

That sounds just painful. I'd have more than one cruise booked if I were you.  Although, once again, covid has thrown a wrench into many plans.  All this shutting down is just miserable.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It’s not behind a paywall for me.  That said I started to read it and I guess ncl doesn’t have running water on their ships because they were saying they had to wait hours for water?

Yeah honestly as painful as my situation is, some of these stories are so much worse.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, albingirl said:

That sounds just painful. I'd have more than one cruise booked if I were you.  Although, once again, covid has thrown a wrench into many plans.  All this shutting down is just miserable.  

I've only got the one booked and I'm afraid that won't happen.  The hoops to go thru from Canada are more than I want to deal with.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

Yeah honestly as painful as my situation is, some of these stories are so much worse.

Please understand I'm not trying to make light of this situation.  I really want to emphasize that.  I just want to feel the warmth on my skin. Its just so hard to believe this  pandemic will ever end.  I've completely lost hope.  I feel so bad that you've got caught in this and appreciate that you have such a great attitude.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Apparently the people of those ships either did not know that the tap water on a cruise ship is drinkable, or that they did not consider it to be water if not out of a bottle.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Damcruiser said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but there is a similar thread on the Celebrity board.

Passengers there booked in a balcony cabin were moved to an inside cabin for quarantine.

That is just sooooo wrong on so many levels... and we are big Celebrity cruisers.

• Like 5

Here are some photos of the port side of the ship.  Mexican radio music is playing in the background as I type this sitting under the smaller structure.  I'll have more pictures from today on my regular thread about visiting the Izapa ruins and a chocolate tasting.

1494AD71-A271-43CA-B37E-F552990D6B57.thumb.jpeg.a6b5f4fa860b0890f8c781afb2147187.jpeg

E939F9DF-02BF-43B1-9639-1FBB4EB98238.thumb.jpeg.0d2aad8ff2451aef5b67935f2d542fe5.jpeg

8EC08572-879D-4644-9589-6A137B2F9EDF.thumb.jpeg.4ab5869f834953331ce715de3cbcd421.jpeg

02BED9B0-BB21-45AE-9FD0-ABCB10B0D9F6.thumb.jpeg.ce9860e4d9d31669727be5942e75f187.jpeg

E8ADF402-E826-4B32-BC73-207231F093F9.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Sorry to hear you’re going through this, but sounds like you’re making the best of it.  Very glad you have no symptoms! I may have missed it up-thread, but did you mention whether your partner tested positive/negative after returning home? Wondering if you both were exposed prior to you ‘jumping’ ships.  Would you mind sharing your age - just curious.  I do a lot of very unscientific tracking in my head of severity of infection by age group when I read stories like yours for some reason.  Hang in there!  I think they’d grow tired of my wine requests all day long and just deliver bottles if I was in your shoes 🤣

• Like 5

@NMCruiser123   I'm so sorry this has happened to you, but very glad that, medically speaking, you are doing well, and I hope that continues.  It is very kind of you to share your experience in isolation and provide helpful information to others.  As some folks have mentioned above, there are other cruisers on other cruise lines also sharing their "live from isolation" stories here on CC, and how folks are being treated seems to vary from ship to ship, even within the same cruise line (I'm looking at you, Celebrity).  Obviously, it's great that you are in a balcony cabin.

I'm glad they've given you a thermometer, but is no one checking your blood oxygen saturation at least once a day (with a pulse oximeter)? 

Your transit of the Canal will be a great respite from the boredom, and a fabulous experience.  My wife and I have done two full transits, and were in fact booked on the Zuiderdam for two more next January (B2B), until HAL swapped her out for the Zaandam.  So we moved over to NCL for those two.

Since this will be your first transit, I thought you might be interested in taking a look at the "Canal Day Guide" that I put together for our first two transits. (Link below.)  They were both southbound, so you would want to start reading from the bottom up.  🙂  Also, of course, when it says "look to the port side," folks on your northbound transit would want to look to the starboard, except when crossing Gatun Lake, where there's two-way traffic and ships going in opposite directions pass each other on the port side.  (I'm sorry you won't have a view of that from your starboard balcony, but you should have a "view" from the cabin TV.)   As noted in another comment above, you'll have a great view of El Renancer (where Noriega was imprisoned); you'll also have a great view of the Titan, one of the world's largest floating cranes.  And, of course, the locks and the mules!

https://panamacanalnclgem2020.shutterfly.com/canaldayguide

I hope you continue to feel as well as you do, and to maintain your sense of humor.  

Enjoy the Canal!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Puerto chiapas is really unremarkable at the port anyway.  Not much there.

We called there on our first transit of the Canal.  It was one of two ports that I felt we could have skipped (Corinto being the other, although I did enjoy seeing the Cathedral of León).

However, in fairness to the OP, I'm sure he'd find Puerto Chiapas more enjoyable than a day in isolation! 🙂

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

We called there on our first transit of the Canal.  It was one of two ports that I felt we could have skipped (Corinto being the other, although I did enjoy seeing the Cathedral of León).

However, in fairness to the OP, I'm sure he'd find Puerto Chiapas more enjoyable than a day in isolation! 🙂

Well of course it’s better than isolation.  I never said it wasn’t.  Going from memory there is a swimming pool and a bar.  A few years ago the crew was not even allowed to go into that pool because people were getting sick there as I recall.  Not much draw there.

If you have an opportunity you can try downloading and reading the book   Path Between the Seas by David McCullough. It is very good and is about the building of the Panama Canal. I hope that you remain well and are able to enjoy the sites from your balcony. Take care.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Kurtybee123 said:

Sorry to hear you’re going through this, but sounds like you’re making the best of it.  Very glad you have no symptoms! I may have missed it up-thread, but did you mention whether your partner tested positive/negative after returning home? Wondering if you both were exposed prior to you ‘jumping’ ships.  Would you mind sharing your age - just curious.  I do a lot of very unscientific tracking in my head of severity of infection by age group when I read stories like yours for some reason.  Hang in there!  I think they’d grow tired of my wine requests all day long and just deliver bottles if I was in your shoes 🤣

He tested negative this week so he’s good.  I almost certainly got it on one of the 2 ships.  My guess would be Koningsdam but I can’t be sure.  I’m 39

1 hour ago, Btimmer said:

Here are some photos of the port side of the ship.  Mexican radio music is playing in the background as I type this sitting under the smaller structure.  I'll have more pictures from today on my regular thread about visiting the Izapa ruins and a chocolate tasting.

1494AD71-A271-43CA-B37E-F552990D6B57.thumb.jpeg.a6b5f4fa860b0890f8c781afb2147187.jpeg

E939F9DF-02BF-43B1-9639-1FBB4EB98238.thumb.jpeg.0d2aad8ff2451aef5b67935f2d542fe5.jpeg

8EC08572-879D-4644-9589-6A137B2F9EDF.thumb.jpeg.4ab5869f834953331ce715de3cbcd421.jpeg

02BED9B0-BB21-45AE-9FD0-ABCB10B0D9F6.thumb.jpeg.ce9860e4d9d31669727be5942e75f187.jpeg

E8ADF402-E826-4B32-BC73-207231F093F9.jpeg

Thank you!  I’ve memorized every detail of the view from the opposite side of the ship so it’s a treat to see something from the port side!  I’ve been watching kids play on the beach all day.  Lucky them!

31 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

@NMCruiser123   I'm so sorry this has happened to you, but very glad that, medically speaking, you are doing well, and I hope that continues.  It is very kind of you to share your experience in isolation and provide helpful information to others.  As some folks have mentioned above, there are other cruisers on other cruise lines also sharing their "live from isolation" stories here on CC, and how folks are being treated seems to vary from ship to ship, even within the same cruise line (I'm looking at you, Celebrity).  Obviously, it's great that you are in a balcony cabin.

I'm glad they've given you a thermometer, but is no one checking your blood oxygen saturation at least once a day (with a pulse oximeter)? 

Your transit of the Canal will be a great respite from the boredom, and a fabulous experience.  My wife and I have done two full transits, and were in fact booked on the Zuiderdam for two more next January (B2B), until HAL swapped her out for the Zaandam.  So we moved over to NCL for those two.

Since this will be your first transit, I thought you might be interested in taking a look at the "Canal Day Guide" that I put together for our first two transits. (Link below.)  They were both southbound, so you would want to start reading from the bottom up.  🙂  Also, of course, when it says "look to the port side," folks on your northbound transit would want to look to the starboard, except when crossing Gatun Lake, where there's two-way traffic and ships going in opposite directions pass each other on the port side.  (I'm sorry you won't have a view of that from your starboard balcony, but you should have a "view" from the cabin TV.)   As noted in another comment above, you'll have a great view of El Renancer (where Noriega was imprisoned); you'll also have a great view of the Titan, one of the world's largest floating cranes.  And, of course, the locks and the mules!

https://panamacanalnclgem2020.shutterfly.com/canaldayguide

I hope you continue to feel as well as you do, and to maintain your sense of humor.  

Enjoy the Canal!

Thank you!  I’m excited for the experience and the advice on the canal people have given me has been great.  I’ll definitely use it all as a reference that day!

I haven’t been visited by any medical personnel or had any other vitals taken but if I were asymptomatic I’m sure it would be a different story.

I love Celebrity and I’m shocked at what I’ve read on one of the threads over there!

im looking forward to dinner and keeping my fingers crossed they let me order from MDR!  I haven’t asked them yet

Edited by NMCruiser123
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Damcruiser said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but there is a similar thread on the Celebrity board.

Passengers there booked in a balcony cabin were moved to an inside cabin for quarantine.

Is it possible that all the balcony cabins in the quarantine area are already full?

4 hours ago, 0106 said:

I just happened to look at the suggested Panama Canal web cam.  I believe this screenshot is of your ship

D2D581F0-6418-482C-BA1E-2DCD29EE0A56.png

Sorry, but that is Regent Seven Seas Explorer.  She did a westbound transit today, along with Ponant's Le Champlain:

00-WxZi_LU868kT2HrtfQ4xeUif5jgFlzWejUl8v

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry that you are in isolation, hope you continue to remain free of symptoms.The transit of the Panama Canal is a great experience,as some one else said,  make sure you drink plenty of water during the transit.

Best wishes to you from New Zealand.

• Like 2

I feel your disappointment in being quarantined.  I got Norovirus on the S. American Cruise and was in my room for 5 days.  They called and checked on me periodically (mostly to verify that I was still in my cabin).  I was told with no uncertain terms if I was caught outside my room, I would be cast overboard....(not really, but I'd be put off in the next port).    I thought I'd go bat ***** crazy on day 5.    Fast forward 12 years, I still cruise.  I will ONLY book veranda cabins after that however.     Even if I have to stay cooped up in my room, it's better than being cooped up in my office.    The mental aspect was the toughest part.    I hope you are cleared soon and don't have to wait the 10 days.    My folks are on that cruise with you 🙂    Stay strong, do a youtube video and you'll have a zillion hits 😜

• Like 4